Start by marking “The Dragon Who Never Sleeps: Verses for Zen Buddhist Practice” as Want to Read:
The Dragon Who Never Sleeps: Verses for Zen Buddhist Practice

The Dragon Who Never Sleeps: Verses for Zen Buddhist Practice

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The Dragon Who Never Sleeps is a collection of gathas—poetic vows for daily living in verse form—that are similar to prayers. Reciting these gathas can help us to face life's difficulties with understanding and humor. They serve as gentle reminders to live in the present, accept ourselves, and offer joy to others.
Published October 1st 1992 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon Who Never Sleeps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon Who Never Sleeps

iam
Being a poet, I loved stumbling across this book for the first time on the sale rack of a local bookstore. My copy is tattered, dog-eared, and worn. I have written various verses from this book on post it notes to keep in my desk drawer at work or to stick on my bathroom mirror. This book inspired me to start the practice of writing gathas. My favorite gatha from this book:

Kicking a chair in the dark
I vow with all beings
To let the pain and surprise
Slow me down to this step, this step
Ellen
Not easy to get this book. It is verses for Zen Buddhist Practice, but with an everyday spin. Example:
Watching ants clean up the kitchen
to clean up the waste on my desk
and the leftover crumbs in my mind.

AND-
When anger raises my voice
I vow with all beings
to take the hand of the other
and conspire in silence for a while.

Great coaching tool.
Kent
Example of one of the 100's of verses:

When my efforts are clearly outclassed

I vow with all beings

to face my own limitations

and bring forth my original self.

Yes, a man's got to know his limitations. Definitely a 5.
Liz
Gathas are the Buddhist equivalent of haikus which are recited or reflected upon to strengthen spiritual practice.

"Watching ants clean up the kitchen
to clean up the waste on my desk
and the leftover crumbs in my head."

Al
Dec 27, 2007 Al rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: zen, poetry
Beautiful Zen gathas - I found these extremely inspiring, and even wrote a few of my own after reading it.
Aubry
When you have read many gathas
I vow with all beings
to commit them to memory
and forget them again
Cathy
A wonderful collection of Zen mindfulness verses.
Ange Muñiz
Ange Muñiz marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Anisa Onofre
Anisa Onofre marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Joe Tedesco
Joe Tedesco is currently reading it
Jan 01, 2015
Sus
Sus marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Thinzar Kyaw
Thinzar Kyaw marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Fan
Fan marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Steve Woods
Steve Woods marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Jake Bornheimer
Jake Bornheimer marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Shaina Williams
Shaina Williams marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Nancy Buffenmyer
Nancy Buffenmyer marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Robert Aitken is a retired master of the Diamond Sangha, a Zen Buddhist society he founded in Honolulu in 1959 with his late wife Anne Hopkins Aitken.

A lifetime resident of Hawai‘i, Aitken Rōshi is a graduate of the University of Hawai‘i with a BA degree in English literature and an MA degree in Japanese studies. In 1941, he was captured on Guam by invading Japanese forces, and interned in Japan
More about Robert Aitken...
Taking the Path of Zen The Mind of Clover: Essays in Zen Buddhist Ethics Zen Master Raven: Sayings and Doings of a Wise Bird The Gateless Barrier: The Wu-Men Kuan (Mumonkan) Encouraging Words: Zen Buddhist Teachings for Western Students

“The Buddha's original teaching is essentially a matter of four points -- the Four Noble Truths:

1. Anguish is everywhere.
2. We desire permanent existence of ourselves and for our loved ones, and we desire to prove ourselves independent of others and superior to them. These desires conflict with the way things are: nothing abides, and everything and everyone depends upon everything and everyone else. This conflict causes our anguish, and we project this anguish on those we meet.

3. Release from anguish comes with the personal acknowledgment and resolve: we are here together very briefly, so let us accept reality fully and take care of one another while we can.

4. This acknowledgement and resolve are realized by following the Eightfold Path: Right Views, Right Thinking, Right Speech, Right Conduct, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Recollection, and Right Meditation. Here "Right" means "correct" or "accurate" -- in keeping with the reality of impermanence and interdependence.”
67 likes
“Watching gardeners label their plants
I vow with all beings
to practice the old horticulture
and let plants identify me.”
3 likes