Start by marking “Rethinking Homework: Best Practices That Support Diverse Needs” as Want to Read:
Rethinking Homework: Best Practices That Support Diverse Needs

Rethinking Homework: Best Practices That Support Diverse Needs

At last, a book that forever solves the debate over whether homework is an essential component of rigorous schooling or a harmful practice. Veteran teacher, trainer, professor, consultant, and author Cathy Vatterott distills her years of experience with all kinds of schools into a balanced approach that ensures homework leads to more opportunities for learning and teaching ...more
Published July 15th 2009 by Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development (first published September 9th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Rethinking Homework, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rethinking Homework

Cathy
Jul 21, 2016 Cathy added it
Shelves: professional
Like many (most?) teachers these days, the problem of getting homework finished and handed in is one of my biggest headaches throughout the school year. Someone recommended this book to me, and it was full of interesting food for thought from taking away grades for homework to "decriminalize" it and using it for formative assessments only, to limiting the amount of time students spend on homework and scheduling homework nights specifically for each content area. There were two chapters full of s ...more
Nshslibrary
Dec 03, 2013 Nshslibrary rated it really liked it
One thing students across all cities, districts, states and countries can all agree on is that homework is a pain in the neck—finally someone has decided to do something about it. In Cathy Vatterott’s book Rethinking Homework, Vatterott explains two sides of a long debated argument, and offers thoughtful solutions to satisfy both. In the early stages of the book, Vatterott goes on to define five common misconstrued beliefs about children and learning, such as the belief that “Good teachers give ...more
Dustie
Sep 26, 2010 Dustie rated it really liked it
Lots to like here. While Vatterott questions the efficacy of homework (calling into question all of the things that make it a seemingly non-standardizable task), she also notes its merits when done right. Highlights for me were: 1) her call out for children to self assess [pg. 117] their learning (is it easy, medium, or hard) and 2) how homework can be used to strengthen their metacognitive skills (orienting, planning, executing, monitoring, evaluating, and correcting [pg. 83]). Both of these sk ...more
Jamie
I thought this book raised some important (if not new) questions about educational practice and priorities. I was disappointed that the suggestions didn't seem to be as updated as I would have liked. I read along and agreed with many of the concerns presented about the importance of a balanced life for students, but when it came to strategies to address these concerns, the kinds of "quality" homework examples are things we've been doing at my school for years, to the point where the examples see ...more
Josh Luukkonen
Jul 23, 2013 Josh Luukkonen rated it really liked it
A nice quick book that brings up a lot of thoughts. As some reviewers said, it is biased, but I feel they weren't accurate in how she handled it all. She is bringing up these ideas for consideration and self-reflection, and she provides a lot for us to think about. She seems to favor one side, yes, but she offers all her ideas and complaints with a lot of caveats as well. it is not so cut and dry. Does she call teachers lazy, as some have claimed? Not quite--she does say that some teachers use h ...more
Dave Intlekofer
Apr 29, 2012 Dave Intlekofer rated it it was ok
This had a few good points, but it was just another book on why homework is bad for kids. However, the author does not pick a firm side, seeming at first to say we need to get rid of homework but toward the end seeming to only call for a revision to what we assign.
One annoying tendency of the book was that it was wishy-washy. Chapter one said that assigning homework is bad because it assumes that the parents are incapable of providing good educational lessons at home, but later in the book it s
Megan
Nov 08, 2010 Megan rated it it was amazing
This book was a real eye opener to me. It started with Cathy's article in Ed Leadership which brought me to this book. After reading it, I feel guilty, informed, and hopeful. I highly recommend that every parent, teacher, and administrator reads this book. It is time to break old Puritan habits and to start looking at quality assignments that are differentiated, purposeful, and doable by students on their own. Schools should take a look at this homework bill of rights and then have a discussion ...more
Steph
Jul 20, 2012 Steph rated it liked it
I have read works by Alfie Kohn and this book was not nearly as good. Kohn has a way of putting stuff right in your face and this author didn't challenge my thinking too much. But that is probably because I read Kohn before reading this book. Rethinking Homework contains many suggestions for revitalizing homework, and as a teacher it would be much more helpful than Kohn's if you were looking for ways to change assessment. Kohn doesn't make many explicit suggestions for teachers but he is really ...more
Krystal
Jul 01, 2011 Krystal rated it really liked it
I found this book to be quite insightful. I liked the introduction of the history of homework over the past decades. The different examples/scenarios of teachers and schools who have used a variety of homework policies across the nation was helpful. It definitely makes you re-evaluate your position on homework. It would have been nice to read this book two years ago, before I started teaching.
Amanda
Oct 01, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it
Really cool take on homework and how we as educators can make it work for students. I know a lot of students struggle through too much homework, while others refuse to do it because it's more repetition of skills they already have. There is a trend in the US to value homework because it is homework, not for what it can and should do. I'm glad I read this book; it gave me some insight into my own instructional practices and has pushed me to rethink my own teaching policies.
Marjie
Feb 17, 2010 Marjie rated it liked it
This could have been a long article in an education journal. It was too long for a book. It had some interesting ideas, but it was pretty biased. I definitely plan to change some of my assessment practices, however. I would recommend it to educators (helps broaden our view of homework) and parents (to help change homework practices in kids' schools.)
Kari G
Aug 05, 2012 Kari G rated it liked it
Really thought-provoking ideas on why we write homework and what it means to assign it. From a professional development standpoint, however, I felt some of the language and attacks were poorly worded. However, it was well-researched and could be a great read for anyone who is struggling with homework in their classrooms.
Janice
Sep 06, 2010 Janice rated it liked it
This is a thought-provoking book. I don't agree with everything in it, but I do think that the author makes some legitimate points. In any event, it is worth a read for any teacher -- if nothing else, a benefit is that one has time to reflect on one's own homework practices in light of what the author presents.
Justin
Jun 07, 2015 Justin rated it liked it
Ms. Vatterott explores the old paradigm of homework and then explains why it doesn't work in the current educational environment. She then provides strategies to make homework meaningful and approachable for all students so that learning isn't a punishment. I just wish that there were more concrete recommendations. I felt like this work just brushed the surface.
Nia Vestal
Oct 14, 2012 Nia Vestal rated it liked it
Some good ideas and insights about homework. I would recommend the ideas in this book be discussed as a K-12 staff. I think it would generate great conversation. Furthermore, the book provides data on how to provide meaning homework assignments for individuals- not entire classes... it really got me thinking about some of my current practices.
Amanda
Jan 02, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok
It had some valid ideas, but there was a lot of judgement: teachers give homework to cover a lack of skill in teaching, homework is inhumane, teachers give homework to control students' time outside of school, etc. Not very teacher-friendly!
Lindsay
Apr 28, 2015 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
I got a ton of great ideas from this book. Most of what I read seemed to be common sense but school's aren't doing them. This book definitely gave me a lot of ideas and processes to use in the future when I get a classroom of my own!
Tracey
Oct 08, 2010 Tracey rated it it was amazing
Reviews why homework has been given through the ages, and if it really is all that effective (not before 5th grade, and only nominally in 5th). Provides ideas about what kind of homework tends to be more helpful than others.
NicMc McRe
Jul 18, 2012 NicMc McRe rated it liked it
As the author warns you from being persuaded by research, she uses her own research to persuade you. Good points were argued throughout the book and I am reaffirmed that my stance on homework is legit :)
Jane
Sep 09, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it
When I am the Queen of Education, I'm going to ask all my loyal subjects to read this.
Chad Earwood
May 31, 2016 Chad Earwood rated it liked it
Very good book on the WHY we need to overhaul homework; however, it left me quite underwhelmed on the HOW. Could definitely use better examples of homework for high school teachers.
Sasha Albrecht
Aug 11, 2016 Sasha Albrecht rated it really liked it
Quick read that gives practical strategies for changing traditional beliefs about homework and how to more effectively and equitably assign and evaluate student work.
Katrina Holman
Mar 28, 2013 Katrina Holman rated it it was amazing
This was a re-read.

Each time I have read this book (3x), I've come away with at least 2 or 3 new ideas on how to make homework work better.
Mary
Jan 15, 2014 Mary rated it liked it
lots of platitudes...
Kami
Dec 29, 2010 Kami rated it it was amazing
It's good to re-evaluate our purpose with assignments. I loved this book!
Anne
Oct 07, 2012 Anne rated it really liked it
Great book for teachers. This should be required reading! It has changed my view of the role that homework plays and how to manage it for the greatest learning for students.
Nancy
Jan 23, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Has made me rethink how I feel about homework. A must-read for any teacher.
Jan 23, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing! It makes me want to revamp my entire homework system to benefit the kids!
Maria
Aug 10, 2015 Maria rated it liked it
Not as substantial as I would have liked. It brought up a lot of assumptions underlying homework but I didn't feel like it got into best practice in the classroom.
Reiko
Mar 19, 2014 Reiko rated it really liked it
Short and simple but worth a read. I'm ready to go homeworkless.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching
  • Discipline with Dignity: New Challenges, New Solutions
  • Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom
  • The Passion-Driven Classroom: A Framework for Teaching and Learning
  • Curriculum 21: Essential Education for a Changing World
  • Leading Change in Your School: How to Conquer Myths, Build Commitment, and Get Results
  • Total Participation Techniques: Making Every Student an Active Learner
  • The Power of Our Words: Teacher Language That Helps Children Learn
  • Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design: Connecting Content and Kids
  • Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization
  • How to Give Effective Feedback to Your Students
  • Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement
  • The Together Teacher: Plan Ahead, Get Organized, and Save Time!
  • Whatever It Takes: How Professional Learning Communities Respond When Kids Don't Learn
  • Essential Questions: Opening Doors to Student Understanding
  • What Great Teachers Do Differently: Fourteen Things That Matter Most
  • If You Don't Feed the Teachers They Eat the Students!: Guide to Success for Administrators and Teachers
  • Awakened: Change Your Mindset to Transform Your Teaching