Start by marking “Rethinking Homework: Best Practices That Support Diverse Needs” as Want to Read:
Rethinking Homework: Best Practices That Support Diverse Needs

Rethinking Homework: Best Practices That Support Diverse Needs

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Rethinking Homework At last, a book that forever solves the debate over whether homework is an essential component of rigorous schooling or a harmful practice. Veteran teacher, trainer, professor, consultant, and author Cathy Vatterott distills her years of experience with all kinds of schools into a balanced approach that ensures homework leads to more opportunities for l ...more
Published July 2nd 2009 by Association for Supervision & Curriculum Deve (first published September 9th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Rethinking Homework, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rethinking Homework

Nshslibrary
One thing students across all cities, districts, states and countries can all agree on is that homework is a pain in the neck—finally someone has decided to do something about it. In Cathy Vatterott’s book Rethinking Homework, Vatterott explains two sides of a long debated argument, and offers thoughtful solutions to satisfy both. In the early stages of the book, Vatterott goes on to define five common misconstrued beliefs about children and learning, such as the belief that “Good teachers give ...more
Dustie
Lots to like here. While Vatterott questions the efficacy of homework (calling into question all of the things that make it a seemingly non-standardizable task), she also notes its merits when done right. Highlights for me were: 1) her call out for children to self assess [pg. 117] their learning (is it easy, medium, or hard) and 2) how homework can be used to strengthen their metacognitive skills (orienting, planning, executing, monitoring, evaluating, and correcting [pg. 83]). Both of these sk ...more
Josh Luukkonen
A nice quick book that brings up a lot of thoughts. As some reviewers said, it is biased, but I feel they weren't accurate in how she handled it all. She is bringing up these ideas for consideration and self-reflection, and she provides a lot for us to think about. She seems to favor one side, yes, but she offers all her ideas and complaints with a lot of caveats as well. it is not so cut and dry. Does she call teachers lazy, as some have claimed? Not quite--she does say that some teachers use h ...more
Justin
Ms. Vatterott explores the old paradigm of homework and then explains why it doesn't work in the current educational environment. She then provides strategies to make homework meaningful and approachable for all students so that learning isn't a punishment. I just wish that there were more concrete recommendations. I felt like this work just brushed the surface.
Dave Intlekofer
This had a few good points, but it was just another book on why homework is bad for kids. However, the author does not pick a firm side, seeming at first to say we need to get rid of homework but toward the end seeming to only call for a revision to what we assign.
One annoying tendency of the book was that it was wishy-washy. Chapter one said that assigning homework is bad because it assumes that the parents are incapable of providing good educational lessons at home, but later in the book it s
Megan
This book was a real eye opener to me. It started with Cathy's article in Ed Leadership which brought me to this book. After reading it, I feel guilty, informed, and hopeful. I highly recommend that every parent, teacher, and administrator reads this book. It is time to break old Puritan habits and to start looking at quality assignments that are differentiated, purposeful, and doable by students on their own. Schools should take a look at this homework bill of rights and then have a discussion ...more
Reiko
Short and simple but worth a read. I'm ready to go homeworkless.
Steph
I have read works by Alfie Kohn and this book was not nearly as good. Kohn has a way of putting stuff right in your face and this author didn't challenge my thinking too much. But that is probably because I read Kohn before reading this book. Rethinking Homework contains many suggestions for revitalizing homework, and as a teacher it would be much more helpful than Kohn's if you were looking for ways to change assessment. Kohn doesn't make many explicit suggestions for teachers but he is really ...more
Amanda
Really cool take on homework and how we as educators can make it work for students. I know a lot of students struggle through too much homework, while others refuse to do it because it's more repetition of skills they already have. There is a trend in the US to value homework because it is homework, not for what it can and should do. I'm glad I read this book; it gave me some insight into my own instructional practices and has pushed me to rethink my own teaching policies.
Krystal
I found this book to be quite insightful. I liked the introduction of the history of homework over the past decades. The different examples/scenarios of teachers and schools who have used a variety of homework policies across the nation was helpful. It definitely makes you re-evaluate your position on homework. It would have been nice to read this book two years ago, before I started teaching.
Marjie
This could have been a long article in an education journal. It was too long for a book. It had some interesting ideas, but it was pretty biased. I definitely plan to change some of my assessment practices, however. I would recommend it to educators (helps broaden our view of homework) and parents (to help change homework practices in kids' schools.)
Nia Vestal
Some good ideas and insights about homework. I would recommend the ideas in this book be discussed as a K-12 staff. I think it would generate great conversation. Furthermore, the book provides data on how to provide meaning homework assignments for individuals- not entire classes... it really got me thinking about some of my current practices.
Kari G
Really thought-provoking ideas on why we write homework and what it means to assign it. From a professional development standpoint, however, I felt some of the language and attacks were poorly worded. However, it was well-researched and could be a great read for anyone who is struggling with homework in their classrooms.
Mary
lots of platitudes...
Janice
This is a thought-provoking book. I don't agree with everything in it, but I do think that the author makes some legitimate points. In any event, it is worth a read for any teacher -- if nothing else, a benefit is that one has time to reflect on one's own homework practices in light of what the author presents.
Lindsay
I got a ton of great ideas from this book. Most of what I read seemed to be common sense but school's aren't doing them. This book definitely gave me a lot of ideas and processes to use in the future when I get a classroom of my own!
Amanda
It had some valid ideas, but there was a lot of judgement: teachers give homework to cover a lack of skill in teaching, homework is inhumane, teachers give homework to control students' time outside of school, etc. Not very teacher-friendly!
Tracey
Reviews why homework has been given through the ages, and if it really is all that effective (not before 5th grade, and only nominally in 5th). Provides ideas about what kind of homework tends to be more helpful than others.
NicMc McRe
As the author warns you from being persuaded by research, she uses her own research to persuade you. Good points were argued throughout the book and I am reaffirmed that my stance on homework is legit :)
Anne
Great book for teachers. This should be required reading! It has changed my view of the role that homework plays and how to manage it for the greatest learning for students.
Amanda
This book was very easy to read - limited jargon and almost no preaching! I found it to be thought-provoking, and I look forward to discussing it with colleagues.
Katrina Holman
This was a re-read.

Each time I have read this book (3x), I've come away with at least 2 or 3 new ideas on how to make homework work better.
Gary
Nothing new here. The last chapter offers a stellar conclusion: to get students to do their homework, have them do it at school!
Tara
Homework is complex. I've giving up my Puritan work ethic for Lent, so this means giving up homework as well.
Nancy
I really enjoyed this book. Has made me rethink how I feel about homework. A must-read for any teacher.
Absolutely amazing! It makes me want to revamp my entire homework system to benefit the kids!
Kami
It's good to re-evaluate our purpose with assignments. I loved this book!
Crystal
Interesting take on homework. Something definitely needs to be done about it.
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Mackenzie Hinrichs
Mackenzie Hinrichs marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
  • Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching
  • The Passion-Driven Classroom: A Framework for Teaching and Learning
  • Discipline with Dignity: New Challenges, New Solutions
  • Better Learning Through Structured Teaching: A Framework for the Gradual Release of Responsibility
  • Leading Change in Your School: How to Conquer Myths, Build Commitment, and Get Results
  • Power of Our Words, The: Teacher Language That Helps Children Learn
  • Awakened: Change Your Mindset to Transform Your Teaching
  • Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design: Connecting Content and Kids
  • Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization
  • Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement
  • If You Don't Feed the Teachers They Eat the Students!: Guide to Success for Administrators and Teachers
  • Curriculum 21: Essential Education for a Changing World
  • 21st Century Skills: Learning for Life in Our Times
  • Total Participation Techniques: Making Every Student an Active Learner
  • Whatever It Takes: How Professional Learning Communities Respond When Kids Don't Learn
  • How the Brain Learns
  • What Great Teachers Do Differently: Fourteen Things That Matter Most
  • Energize Research Reading and Writing: Fresh Strategies to Spark Interest, Develop Independence, and Meet Key Common Core Standards, Grades 4-8
Becoming a Middle Level Teacher: The Student Focused Teaching of Early Adolescents Rethinking Grading Rethinking Grading: Meaningful Assessment for Standards-Based Learning Rethinking Grading Rethinking Homework: Best Practices That Support Diverse Needs: Best Practices That Support Diverse Needs