Start by marking “Bloodland: A Family Story of Oil, Greed and Murder on the Osage Reservation” as Want to Read:
Bloodland: A Family Story of Oil, Greed and Murder on the Osage Reservation

Bloodland: A Family Story of Oil, Greed and Murder on the Osage Reservation

Journalist Dennis McAuliffe, Jr. opens old family wounds and ultimately exposes a widespread murder conspiracy and shameful episode in American history.
Published September 1st 1999 by Council Oak Books

To ask other readers questions about Bloodland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodland

Allie
May 28, 2010 Allie rated it it was amazing
This book was both fascinating and deeply unsettling. Fascinating because I spent the first 18 years of my life living in Bartlesville, and then a summer working in Pawhuska, and it's rare to read literary descriptions of those places. Unsettling, because no one ever talked about what happened there to the Osage during Oklahoma's Reign of Terror. It is strange to find out about the atrocities that took place so close to home from a book I checked out from the Brooklyn library. This book is ...more
Jason
Sep 15, 2012 Jason rated it really liked it
At once a memoir, family saga, history of the Osage Nation and a detailed account of one of the most horrific and despicable things to ever happen in Oklahoma: the Osage Reign of Terror (also known as simple the Osage Indian Murders). I was pleasantly surprised at what a page-turner this was, and how quickly I was sucked in until the end. If you don't know anything about the Osage Reign of Terror (or even if you do), do yourself a favor and read this one.
William Walker
Apr 03, 2016 William Walker rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most disturbing books I've read. In the early 1920s, the Osage had the highest per capita income in the world and the highest murder rate in the world. The tragedy of the Osage reign of terror is something that is exceptionally well hidden and buried away. It needs to be told.

This is a frightening story but I must say the writing leaves much to be desired. It's very difficult to follow the meandering branches of the overlapping family trees and the heavy freight of sidetracks
Sara
Oct 10, 2016 Sara rated it really liked it
I've now added this to my year's favorites, because I keep thinking about it. The Osage Reign of Terror, the beginnings of undercover FBI investigations, family secrets, heritage vs ancestry, addiction and grief and trauma, and I just really appreciated this. I loved most the way McAuliffe admits openly to his own failings - deciding what he believes before getting very deep into the story and twisting things to fit, only to later realize that he's doing so - and that there are so many ...more
Beverly
Dec 27, 2015 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Amazing book by an author searching for his family history and finds out that his grandmother was murdered. Great research about the Osage Nation and the early oil years. Osage tribal members were murdered for what was termed "a head right" that gave them rights to oil money. Pawhuska, Oklahoma and Osage County to this day benefits from the oil that pumps from the ground underneath a persons feet.
Fishface
This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. It combines a super weird little corner of American history -- when the Osage tribe in the American West became insanely wealthy oil barons -- with a fascinating family history and a personal quest for the truth by the author. After I read this for the first time, I immediately turned back to the first page and re-read it. It is just that good.
Brian
May 16, 2010 Brian rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book.

There were times where I would get very angry about what the author was talking about. Mostly b/c of how Indians were treated back then, and how many are regarded now. Most people I come across don't want to hear about Indians at all.

Other times, the author was very angry about what he was talking about. It is obvious when you read certain paragraphs that he's biased, but he'd probably be the first to tell you that.
Shari
Nov 07, 2012 Shari rated it it was amazing
This story was an eye opener. When I read this, I was fortunate to be able to participate in a group call with the author. Mr. McAuliffe was gracious, and kind enough to talk to us well past the designated time frame. His research was immense. I was most perplexed that none of the information in this book was ever taught to us in our Oklahoma History classes. EXCELLENT READ!
Jonna
Mar 07, 2013 Jonna rated it it was amazing
This book was a fascinating read. The Native American story was really a backdrop for what happened in the book, but the story of greed and murder and being sure you have the 'right connections' in a small town are all very interesting. It's a goodread!
Karmen
Aug 12, 2011 Karmen rated it really liked it
What an amazing story-- that the Osage Indians were the richest people in the world in 1920 was news to me; never mind the fact that many of them were murdered over it. A little dry and repetitive from time to time, but an overal fascinating read.
Deedee
Apr 19, 2016 Deedee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
I know this book to be based on true events. I am an Osage. My mom's name was Sybil but this book was not about her. Even though I enjoyed reading it, the story made me so very sad and mad.
Liz
May 10, 2011 Liz rated it really liked it
The writing isn't great, but the subject matter is fascinating especially for me (a native Oklahoman).
Rena Parker
Rena Parker rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015
Elaine
Elaine rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2012
Tammy Johnson
Tammy Johnson rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
carolyn lavone peters
carolyn lavone peters rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Kim Tijerina
Kim Tijerina rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2013
Rachel Quinn
Rachel Quinn rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2014
K8
K8 rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2009
Marianne Evans
Marianne Evans rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2015
Amanda Carroll
Amanda Carroll rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Stewacy
Stewacy rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2012
Courtney H
Courtney H rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2009
Morgan
Morgan rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2012
Bradley Tipping
Bradley Tipping rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2014
Tbob3att.Net
May 12, 2016 Tbob3att.Net rated it it was amazing
not a book club book, recommended by Jennifer and Chuck Shipley. It was good and a true story.
Charles Son
Charles Son rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Meg
Meg rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2014
Brandi Burnett
Brandi Burnett rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2014