Start by marking “Murder with Reservations (Dead-End Job Mystery, #6)” as Want to Read:
Murder with Reservations (Dead-End Job Mystery, #6)

Murder with Reservations (A Dead-End Job Mystery #6)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  831 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Helen Hawthorne has a knack for keeping a low profile. But in South Florida, it's going to get a lot harder to fly under the radar...

Working at Sybil's Full Moon Hotel in Fort Lauderdale keeps Helen safe and sane. But when a maid is found dead in a Dumpster, those days just might be over. Dead bodies mean another chance for the cops to find her. To make matters worse, he...more
Published May 1st 2007 by NAL Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Murder with Reservations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder with Reservations

Chelsea
Lyn
When Helen catches her husband having sex with her next door neighbor she wants to kill him, but she restrains herself and kills his SUV instead. After all she paid for it. The divorce court judge doesn't see it that way. Since Rob hadn't worked for years he is considered a house husband and the judge awards him half of Helen's salary as alimony. Rather than pay, Helen goes on the lam to Florida where she works low-paying jobs, being paid off the books so Rob and the cops can't find her.

Helen's...more
Judy Averitt
I love all these books & characters. They are like old friends now.
Jan
I'll never drink from a motel room coffee maker again...
Jim Leffert
If Barbara Ehrenreich and Sara Paretsky were to collaborate on a mystery series, the result might be Elaine Viets’ Dead End Job series. The protagonist is a woman living in Florida under an assumed name, Helen Hawthorne, trying to elude her ex-husband, who wants (and is legally entitled to) her money. Helen, supports herself and stays under the radar by working a series of low-paying dead end jobs, each one the subject of a mystery novel. In this volume of the series, Helen is working as a house...more
Ellen
Loved every page, December 11, 2011
By Ellen Rappaport
This review is from: Murder with Reservations (Dead-End Job Mysteries) (Hardcover)
All I can say is this was great. Yes...the best one in this series. It will definitely keep me coming back for more dead end books. Elaine Viets definitely cares and respects her readers.

This time Helen has a job cleaning rooms at the Full Moon Hotel and it isn't exactly a pleasant way to earn a living. Helen gets along with her co-workers and her boss is act...more
Barb Radmore
Since her ex-husband was given half her pay check and she refuses to give him a penny, Helen Hawthorne is forced to live a life on the run. Far from her high paying executive job she is now working as a chambermaid. She is hoping to stay hidden there, relying on her friends to maintain her secret. But her ex does locate her, actually checking into the hotel at which she works. Helen must dodge and hide from him again. But the murder of a fellow chambermaid, a hidden stash of money from a bank ro...more
Vickie
I love having cozy mysteries on Mt Git'r'Read's shelves. They are perfect purse book size, they cheer me up, and they are fast reads. Towards the end of the month, I want to squeeze just one more book on my monthly book journal. This one fit the bill wonderfully.
Helen Hawthorne is still on the run from her loser deadbeat ex-husband. He was the one who didn't work and philandered around while she worked her heinie off and stayed true. She caught him in the act with their neighbor (6 books ago) a...more
Gail
This is the sixth in as series known as "Dead-end Joy Mystery." It's a funny series with some very nicely drawn characters, both interesting and endearing. Helen is on the run from her ex-husband, after being ordered to pay half her salary to her philandering, deadbeat ex-husband, she took off to South Florida where she works under the radar in low-paying, cash-only, off-the-books jobs. She has an annoying habit of turning up dead bodies.
In this one she works for a hotel as a maid. Being a maid...more
Leslie Todd
This series just keeps getting better. Murder with Reservation's has Viets' trademark humor, with a just slightly harder edge than in past series books.

Helen's peril is more immediate in this book since her ex, Rob, is actually tracking her down. He checks into the very hotel where Helen is employed as a maid. Helen has to worry about her ex, the police, and the murderer.

One of the best things about this book is that Helen's character seems more developed and we see how caring she can be, part...more
Ed
#6 in the Dead End Job series.

Dead End Job series - Helen is working as a hotel chambermaid. Another maid goes missing and is found by Helen in the hotel Dumpster. Her life is further complicated by the arrival of her ex-husband in Fort Lauderdale.
Karen
Parts of this book I kind of liked; other parts were just ridiculous.

Apparently the author has worked as a hotel maid. The "laundry list" of disgusting things at a hotel might be enough to make you want to cancel your next hotel reservation. At least that part of the book was well-researched.

The premise of the series: An educated business woman choosing to work at low-paying jobs to avoid paying her husband of seventeen years alimony is quite a bit of a stretch. I've worked in law. Family law,...more
VJ
Elaine Viets shows once again that this is humor done right. Full of irony, laugh out loud moments, plot twists, and just enough characters that you have plenty of suspects but don't generally get them confused.

My this book, I'm completely rooting for Rob (her cheating, lying, skeeve of an ex-husband) to just bite the dust. This poor girl needs some relief!

My only complaint, yet again, is the insertion of one minor supporting character with a potty mouth. Teens can be sullen and disrespectful w...more
Kristen
Helen Hawthorne was back in the 6th installment of the Dead-End Job series from Elaine Viets. This time around, she worked at Sybil's Full Moon Hotel. While she tried to stay under the radar from the past, it became harder this time around. She found a dead maid in a Dumpster. To make matters worse, her ex-husband was hot on her trail after all these years. When the police didn't care much about the maid's murder, they rather focus their attention on her own shady past. If she avoided their inte...more
Jessica
I probably would have enjoyed this book more if I didn't find the main character's motivations so nonsensical. Admittedly, I haven't read the rest of the series... but when she kept complaining about her ex-husband and how she didn't trust the court system etc, I just wanted slap some sense into her. It's not like she was on the run from a wife beater, which would have made sense.

The mystery itself was ok. I figured out who the killer was on the first page they appeared, which isn't great for a...more
Wanda
I did like the book. the first few chapters I thought were laugh out loud funny. I will say that as I was reading the book and trying to pick up on the clues, I thought I knew how the book would end. Turns out, I was wrong. It's always nice to read a book with a "surprised" ending. The author did her research on the hotel business. I will think twice about staying in a hotel room. Overall, it was a good book and one that kept my interest and wanted to keep reading to find out what would happen n...more
Jenifer
This was a fun book. I am sort of interested in the series, but probably won't take the time to go back to the beginning. It was fun to read something that I had never even heard of before. The biggest complaint I have is that it felt a little overdone at times as far as the hotel business goes. I almost felt like the author was working from a "laundry list" (ha) of all the bad stuff that happens in a hotel. Good thing; I liked the supporting characters.
Stephanie Bailey
I REALLY enjoyed this book. It's one of those fun vacation books. You read it when you want to escape. I also liked all the twists. IT has some funny moments and I'm glad it ended the way it did. However, I did feel it was missing something in the end, especially for character Peggy. I guess I'm a romantic at heart. But I really hoped for a happy ending for her.
Jeanette
This was a fun mystery. I wish you could give half stars because I would give this 3 1/2 stars. It wasn't quite a four, but better than a three. It was a tad predictable, but I liked the main character and all her quirky friends. I will definitely read some of the others in this series.
C
Sucked. Empty characters with ridiculous plot. A woman is on the run from her ex husband who is trying to track her down for alimony and is working as a hotel room cleaner in Florida. She finds a couple of dead bodies and solves two of the murders and finds a lost treasure. Lame.
Jenny
Apr 03, 2012 Jenny rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenny by: Ann R
Shelves: mystery
This is another book in the Dead-End Job mystery series. In this read, Helen Hawthorne is working as a maid in a Fort Lauderdale, FL hotel and is once again finding dead bodies. She eventually helps clean up the killers and other assorted crimes. A quick and entertaining read!
Linda

Probably the best one in the series yet. Great thing is you could read it without reading the others ( more fun if you do however). The author always gives you enough information so you understand the background. Looking forward to reading the next one!
Cindy
Entertaining, light read. Classic Elaine Viets/Helen Hawthorne. Gives a whole new perspective on the lives of hotel maids. I came away with a new appreciation of those workers and will definitely be living better tips for them.
Patty
I just finished #6 of this series, where Helen is a maid in a hotel which you wouldn't think is funny but I had a smile on most of the way through. There is a murder at the hotel and Helen investigates. Love. Can't wait to read the next one.
Shirley
This author is new to me, but I did enjoy this book. The plot was good, and the insights into life for those little appreciated housekeepers in motels added a great deal to the book. I guess that is her speciality, dead-end jobs as she calls them.
Kathy  Petersen
Another Dead-End Job mystery -- see "Shop Till You Drop." Swift, silly, fun. Viets, formerly (and maybe presently) a journalist, certainly knows how to write, how to be amusing and yet to construct carefully both characters and plot.
Paula Montgomery
Helen is running from her ex-husband and takes "dead-end" jobs so he won't find her. She also has a knack for finding bodies. The two things clash when her ex shows up as a guest at the hotel where she is working as a maid. Easy read.
Mary Z : )
Oh, I think I have a new favorite author! Elaine Viets writes about jobs with accuracy. I read this book after a 10-day stay in various hotels. I could absolutely see her real life experience contributing to her storytelling. Excellent!
Gwen
Quick read, nice change of pace and a few surprising twists. How much do revenge, love and hate drive our lives? How far would we go, when confronted (or chased) by someone we once loved, and now don't?
Kimberly
Could someone please explain why Helen felt the need to run after Rob to try and warn him? I was so glad when Margery called her out about him.

Yep, that's it. That's all I got from this book. LOL!
  • Alpine for You (Passport to Peril, #1)
  • Buffalo West Wing (A White House Chef Mystery, #4)
  • Killing Bridezilla (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #7)
  • Vi Agra Falls (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #24)
  • The Fright of the Iguana (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #5)
  • Make, Take, Murder (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #5)
  • Book, Line and Sinker (Library Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • A Killer Read (Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery #1)
  • The Naked Detective
  • Designer Knockoff (Crime of Fashion, #2)
  • Acts of Violets (A Flower Shop Mystery, #5)
  • All Sales Fatal (A Mall Cop Mystery, #2)
  • Darling Dahlias and the Confederate Rose (Darling Dahlias #3)
  • Die Job
262084
As a young girl, Elaine Viets was taught the virtues of South St. Louis: the importance of hard work, housecleaning, and paying cash. She managed to forget almost everything she learned, which is why she turned to mystery writing.

Living in South Florida has not improved her character. But it has given her the bestselling Dead-End Job series. Like her amateur detective, Helen Hawthorne, Elaine actu...more
More about Elaine Viets...
Shop Till You Drop (Dead-End Job Mystery, #1) Murder Between the Covers (Dead-End Job Mystery, #2) Dying in Style (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #1) Dying to Call You (Dead-End Job Mystery, #3) Just Murdered (Dead-End Job Mystery, #4)