Start by marking “Leadership 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know (101 Series)” as Want to Read:
Leadership 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know (101 Series)

Leadership 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know (101 Series)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  2,499 ratings  ·  102 reviews

Unleash your leadership potential.

No matter who you are, you can lead—and lead well.

That is the message New York Times bestselling author John C. Maxwell gives in this power-packed guidebook: Leadership 101. Here the consummate leader offers a succinct and inspiring framework for enhancing the leadership abilities you already possess. Learn how to:

Follow your vision and b
Published (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Leadership 101, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leadership 101

Beth Peninger
I really like the 101 series of Maxwell's. They are easy reads and you get the meat of what his point is. They are practical, easy to read and understand, and realistic to apply.
Nicole Marble
Be disciplined; set good priorities;delegate jobs; work hard; keep learning an be trustworthy.
Now you don't have to read this boring book.
Lauren Head
Q-Give one quote from the book that impacted your thought process and describe how.
A-When asked if great leaders are born, John Maxwell answers, “Why of course! I have never known a leader who wasn’t born first.”

Q-Which co-worker would you recommend this book to?
A-I would recommend this book to anybody who is in a leadership role-Department Heads, Leadership Team Members, etc.
Q-Rate this book on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest rating.
A-8-John Maxwell is one of my all-time favorite authors
Farnoosh Brock
John C. Maxwell is a leader in business books. He has written numerous books on business, leaderships, relationships, attitude, and management. If you are delving into a topic either by necessity or for love of learning, it is worthwhile to look into the most prominent figures in the field. At the time I came across Maxwell’s books, I was deep into developing my leadership and management skills, and hence the two glimpses into the Maxwell perspective.

Here are some of my favorite quotes:

Trust as
Feb 07, 2008 Sarah rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Would-be Pastors of the Great & Spacious Buildings
I didn't like this book too much, because by the time I got a little ways into it, I started REALLY not liking the author, which discredited the advice he was giving. I liked his historical little stories about the startups and leadships of now huge companies, but I didn't like that he also talked briefly about the growth of his Mega-Church with thousands and thousands of followers, like convention-center churches and $7.8 million fundraisers for a new facility. That is nuts, and because of that ...more

Did you know that more new information has been produced in the last thirty years than in the previous 5,000? A weekday edition of The New York Times contains more information than average people in seventeenth century England were likely to come across in their lifetime. The amount of information available in the world has doubled in the last five years, and it keeps doubling.

Did you know that each of us influences at least ten thousand other people during our lifetime? So the question is not w
Surprising quick read that has depth.

Maxwell discusses what Leadership is, and how to influence and become a leader. He focuses on Development, Traits and Impact of a leader, including leaving a legacy. Don't be fooled by the short length.
I was hoping it was more motivational. Some of the examples did not go well with the chapters. It felt like this book was just thrown together to meet a deadline. I'll probably re-read it and see how it goes.
This is a good starting point for anyone wanting to understand the basics of what goes into making a good leader and what its going to take to develop your own leadership skills.

One of my favorite points he makes on why you should develop these skills is that as an individual if you are operating at the top of your game, you are still capped on your ability to affect change in this world to what you can do alone but when you develop leadership skills, you can have a much bigger influence on the
Justin Tapp
Leadership 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know is Maxwell's condensation of his major talking points in leadership. It's a short book filled with soundbites and a few anecdotes. But I gleaned a few things.

Leadership is influence, and we all influence people throughout our day. Hence, we can all be leaders. Having more people in reach of your influence is a function of your development as a leader.

Bill Hybels' book on leadership (he often partners with Maxwell) was influential in my life. Hybel
Cesar Rivera
I read Leadership 101 by John C. Maxwell a person who knows a lot about leadership,I read how leadership depends on ones effectiveness if one does not have a good effectiveness then they don't have a good effectiveness then they don't have a good leadership. One example showed in the book is Dick and Maurice the founders of mcdonald's,and how they had on idea for a place were burgers were ready in 30 seconds or less. They were good,but there effectiveness was not high that they were not able to ...more
Rick Richards
Listened to the audio book. Read very slowly, so I played it on double speed. Part 1 gets a 1 star review, because it was obvious and cliche filled (although he did offer one important question to ask when evaluating priorities and relationships that was very useful). Part 2 on the other hand gets 5 stars - incredibly helpful on how to become a great leader.

I recommend you skip the first half of this book, but definitely read the second half.
Classic principles of leadership like discipline, trust, and leadership development. Many of the lessons come from American business and politics. A little basic, but I guess you would expect that from a 101 book. Lots of good thoughts to chew on and apply. My favorite chapter was Chapter 8 on Influence.
Some good nuggets

Not a bad read. If you have already read the 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership and the 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader then there is a lot of redundant reading here. It's a great book for someone starting out with John Maxwell's leadership books
Emmanuel Ayeni
I have read different book on the leadership by the Author- John Maxwell, but I call this Leadership in a nutshell. As alife long student of the school of Leadership I call this a great resource and somewhat a 'crashcourse' in Leadership
Nic Pluto
Quick and easy read with great fundamental leadership concepts. In my opinion it is a must-read for people new to leadership like myself. Very humbling and inspiring to say the least.

"People under the influence of an empowering person are like paper in the hands of a talented artist. No matter what they're made of, they can become treasures."
Luke Van
I really enjoyed this book. It is a snapshot of his 21 irrefutable laws of leadership and is a good quick read but also packed full of leadership advice. Love it and really want to read more of Maxwell's stuff.

I enjoy this book and finding out that I have done some things well, but still have much to learn. You don't have to be head of a corporation to be a leader.
John Maxwell, in his usual straightforward yet brilliant manner, has finally put together a book for the everyday individual, regardless of whether they are somewhat interested or if they are passionate about learning about leadership from a true leader. Maxwell covers numerous concepts from the Pareto Principle to characteristics that all leaders share, based on his vast amount of leadership experience. Whether you are looking to begin learning a little bit about leadership or you run a global ...more
Valerie (He Said Books Or Me)
This book was part of Employee Development program we would use at a school I used to work at. I enjoyed it very much.
Little book but filled with excellent information. Best quote "Leadership develops daily, but not in one day".
Michael Johnson
As the title states.... "what every leader (and we all are leaders in one form or another) needs to know."
Eric Reidsma
Put others first, care, listen, importance of strong family. Pretty basic information.
بندر العتيبي
كتاب شيق وجميل وخفيف للقراءة لقلة صفحاته
Barb Filion
Any of John Maxwell book are worth the read
Craig Rowley
Good quick introduction. Will help you identify gaps in your leadership skillset.
Quick and easy, a gem to read.
Mindy Darling
A good read but not terribly thorough.
Guilhermino Afonso
Bom livro, eu li a tradução portuguesa.
John Maxwell - wait I mean Sean Runnette - whatever it's still a good piece of LIT, audio-ized
leadership grid 2 15 Jan 21, 2014 04:43AM
  • The Secret: What Great Leaders Know - And Do
  • Four Pillars of a Man's Heart: Bringing Strength into Balance
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times
  • The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: The Four Disciplines at the Heart of Making Any Organization World Class
  • 8 Attributes of Great Achievers
  • Principle-Centered Leadership
  • Courageous Leadership
  • The Choice
  • The Mentor Leader: Secrets to Building People and Teams That Win Consistently
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • Integrity: The Courage to Meet the Demands of Reality
  • Go-Givers Sell More
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more
More about John C. Maxwell...
The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership Developing the Leader Within You Failing Forward: How to Make the Most of Your Mistakes Winning with People The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization