Start by marking “Leadership 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know (101 Series)” as Want to Read:
Leadership 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know (101 Series)

Leadership 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know (101 Series)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  2,267 ratings  ·  92 reviews

Unleash your leadership potential.

No matter who you are, you can lead—and lead well.

That is the message New York Times bestselling author John C. Maxwell gives in this power-packed guidebook: Leadership 101. Here the consummate leader offers a succinct and inspiring framework for enhancing the leadership abilities you already possess. Learn how to:

Follow your vision and b
Published (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Leadership 101, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leadership 101

Beth Peninger
I really like the 101 series of Maxwell's. They are easy reads and you get the meat of what his point is. They are practical, easy to read and understand, and realistic to apply.
Nicole Marble
Be disciplined; set good priorities;delegate jobs; work hard; keep learning an be trustworthy.
Now you don't have to read this boring book.
Lauren Head
Q-Give one quote from the book that impacted your thought process and describe how.
A-When asked if great leaders are born, John Maxwell answers, “Why of course! I have never known a leader who wasn’t born first.”

Q-Which co-worker would you recommend this book to?
A-I would recommend this book to anybody who is in a leadership role-Department Heads, Leadership Team Members, etc.
Q-Rate this book on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest rating.
A-8-John Maxwell is one of my all-time favorite authors
Farnoosh Brock
John C. Maxwell is a leader in business books. He has written numerous books on business, leaderships, relationships, attitude, and management. If you are delving into a topic either by necessity or for love of learning, it is worthwhile to look into the most prominent figures in the field. At the time I came across Maxwell’s books, I was deep into developing my leadership and management skills, and hence the two glimpses into the Maxwell perspective.

Here are some of my favorite quotes:

Trust as
Feb 07, 2008 Sarah rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Would-be Pastors of the Great & Spacious Buildings
I didn't like this book too much, because by the time I got a little ways into it, I started REALLY not liking the author, which discredited the advice he was giving. I liked his historical little stories about the startups and leadships of now huge companies, but I didn't like that he also talked briefly about the growth of his Mega-Church with thousands and thousands of followers, like convention-center churches and $7.8 million fundraisers for a new facility. That is nuts, and because of that ...more
Becky
Surprising quick read that has depth.

Maxwell discusses what Leadership is, and how to influence and become a leader. He focuses on Development, Traits and Impact of a leader, including leaving a legacy. Don't be fooled by the short length.
Maria
I was hoping it was more motivational. Some of the examples did not go well with the chapters. It felt like this book was just thrown together to meet a deadline. I'll probably re-read it and see how it goes.
Justin Tapp
Leadership 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know is Maxwell's condensation of his major talking points in leadership. It's a short book filled with soundbites and a few anecdotes. But I gleaned a few things.

Leadership is influence, and we all influence people throughout our day. Hence, we can all be leaders. Having more people in reach of your influence is a function of your development as a leader.

Bill Hybels' book on leadership (he often partners with Maxwell) was influential in my life. Hybel
Cesar Rivera
I read Leadership 101 by John C. Maxwell a person who knows a lot about leadership,I read how leadership depends on ones effectiveness if one does not have a good effectiveness then they don't have a good effectiveness then they don't have a good leadership. One example showed in the book is Dick and Maurice the founders of mcdonald's,and how they had on idea for a place were burgers were ready in 30 seconds or less. They were good,but there effectiveness was not high that they were not able to ...more
Stephen
Classic principles of leadership like discipline, trust, and leadership development. Many of the lessons come from American business and politics. A little basic, but I guess you would expect that from a 101 book. Lots of good thoughts to chew on and apply. My favorite chapter was Chapter 8 on Influence.
Bob
Some good nuggets

Not a bad read. If you have already read the 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership and the 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader then there is a lot of redundant reading here. It's a great book for someone starting out with John Maxwell's leadership books
Emmanuel Ayeni
I have read different book on the leadership by the Author- John Maxwell, but I call this Leadership in a nutshell. As alife long student of the school of Leadership I call this a great resource and somewhat a 'crashcourse' in Leadership
Luke Van
I really enjoyed this book. It is a snapshot of his 21 irrefutable laws of leadership and is a good quick read but also packed full of leadership advice. Love it and really want to read more of Maxwell's stuff.
BILLY G. NUZUM
Inspiring

I enjoy this book and finding out that I have done some things well, but still have much to learn. You don't have to be head of a corporation to be a leader.
Akbar
John Maxwell, in his usual straightforward yet brilliant manner, has finally put together a book for the everyday individual, regardless of whether they are somewhat interested or if they are passionate about learning about leadership from a true leader. Maxwell covers numerous concepts from the Pareto Principle to characteristics that all leaders share, based on his vast amount of leadership experience. Whether you are looking to begin learning a little bit about leadership or you run a global ...more
Monique
Little book but filled with excellent information. Best quote "Leadership develops daily, but not in one day".
Michael Johnson
As the title states.... "what every leader (and we all are leaders in one form or another) needs to know."
Barb Filion
Any of John Maxwell book are worth the read
Craig Rowley
Good quick introduction. Will help you identify gaps in your leadership skillset.
Carlos
Quick and easy, a gem to read.
Mindy Darling
A good read but not terribly thorough.
Guilhermino Afonso
Bom livro, eu li a tradução portuguesa.
Jamie L
Dec 13, 2012 Jamie L rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in leadership skills
I had to read this book as part of my performance plan at work. If not for said plan, I would have never picked up this book and I would have been none the worse for it. I think I may have picked up some trivia that might pan out on Jeopardy! one day. However, there were a few pieces of info I found interesting...the best was that the CEO of Coke (Roberto Goizueta) took over the company in 1981 and by 1996, he'd increased the profit by 3500% (yes, that's thirty-five hundred!). So that was cool. ...more
Thomas
For what it is, not bad.
Rock Rockwell
Oct 09, 2007 Rock Rockwell rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People taking early steps in leadership
Shelves: leadership
The basics of leadership are broken down in very simple and easy to read pieces. I used this book for training a group of teens who were already leaders and some potential leaders (with other books to balance and supplement). They did not get lost in the book due to its shortness. With the right leading questions derived from each 'chapter'(not provided) teens may implement some practical directives from Maxwell.
Naomi
Google leadership, read subsequent top article or two and save yourself the time. Excellent rehash of every other leadership book.

Maxwell doesn't do a good job in citing certain stats (for example his version of the Pareto Principle) and makes quantifiable measurements on subjective data which detracts from his credibility and what otherwise is a reasonable (though subjective) observation.
Gordon Alley
This is a great book on leadership. It shows many ways that leaders can be effective in helping others reach their potential. John Maxwell has done it again.
John Fletcher
Great overview about what leadership is and a quick read (2hrs). Specifically reminded me that leadership is a lifelong pursuit.
Tom
Feb 22, 2007 Tom rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Who Like things to the Point
Overall a good read; a few mid-western appeals to religiosity. Gets to the point what most Leadership books take five times as many pages to explain. (Basically, along the lines of mostleadership reads, the information won't bring about an epiphany unless you already don't know anything about how to treat other human beings in society.)
Alex
Although short, the text paints the impression of leadership's landscape. Many might dismiss what often seems like everyday advice. But try and implement it and truly follow its directions, and then you'll know. This is Leadership 101: what every leader needs to know.

It's very easy to retell the McDonald's and Coca-cola stories.
leadership grid 2 15 Jan 21, 2014 04:43AM
  • The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: The Four Disciplines at the Heart of Making Any Organization World Class
  • The Secret: What Great Leaders Know - And Do
  • Four Pillars of a Man's Heart: Bringing Strength into Balance
  • University of Success
  • Launching a Leadership Revolution: Mastering the Five Levels of Influence
  • Principle-Centered Leadership
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • Go-Givers Sell More
  • Integrity: The Courage to Meet the Demands of Reality
  • Leadership Is an Art
  • Life is Tremendous
  • Rich Dad's Before You Quit Your Job: 10 Real-Life Lessons Every Entrepreneur Should Know About Building a Multimillion-Dollar Business (Rich Dad's (Paperback))
  • Strengths Based Leadership: Great Leaders, Teams, and Why People Follow
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more
More about John C. Maxwell...
The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership Developing the Leader Within You Winning with People Failing Forward: How to Make the Most of Your Mistakes The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization