Start by marking “Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 1 - The Stuff of Nightmares” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 1 - The Stuff of Nightmares

Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 1 - The Stuff of Nightmares (Fourth Doctor-Talking Books)

'Wanted: retired army Captain for light household duties and fireside companionship. Must tolerate mild eccentricity and strong scientific advice. Knowledge of Giant Maggots, Super Intelligent Spiders and Prehistoric Monsters a positive boon.' Responding to an advert apparently worded for him alone, Captain Mike Yates (retired) is reunited with a ghost from the past. But w ...more
Audio CD
Published September 2009 by BBC Physical Audio

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Wendy
Sep 19, 2009 Wendy rated it liked it
Fans of Doctor Who on audio have been hoping for years that Tom Baker would return to play the part on audio, since he's the only surviving "classic series" Doctor not to have reprised the role in a full-cast audio drama. So, when Hornets' Nest, a series of 5 linked audio dramas featuring Tom Baker, was announced, the anticipation quickly mounted. This story would have had to be an absolute classic to live up to fan expectations, and it doesn't quite manage that.

The reactions of many fans, myse
Nicholas Whyte
"Hornet's Nest 1: The Stuff of Nightmares, by Paul Magrs, brings back the Fourth Doctor in alliance with ex-Captain Mike Yates (who was actually a Third Doctor companion, but never mind), inhabiting a peculiar country house with even more peculiar stuffed animals. I've seen a couple of reviews commenting that it has a lot more talking-book style narration by Yates and the Doctor, and hence much less actual dialogue, than we are used to from Big Finish; myself, I felt that this was being honest ...more
J.E. Remy
I have to say I found this story a bit odd. Partially because I'm used to the quality of the Big Finish audios, and I just don't think this one lived up to what those audio dramas offer. But, mostly because this felt so much like a Paul Magrs story. Magrs has a habit of writing silly into the middle of serious moments, which Tom Baker tends to do very well. In this situation, however, the transition felt a bit odd from the seriousness of Baker in Invasion of Time (which this story is meant to be ...more
April Duclos
Apr 21, 2016 April Duclos rated it it was ok
I'm torn. This was fun to hear performed so well by Tom Baker and Richard Franklin (as Mike Yates) but the story is slow and, until nearly the end of the Classic Who style of cliff-hanger ending, a bit dull. (view spoiler) Since much of hte story is just the Doctor telling Mi ...more
Terri
Mike Yates answers an unusual ad in the paper for a companion and when he gets to Nest cottage finds his old friend, The Doctor is involved in more strange happenings. This time stuffed (and not the cute fluffy kind) are coming to life and attacking.

The thought of taxidermist animal attacking really creeps me out, never been a big fan overall (though I do acknowledge it IS an artform). Always love The Doctor and of course, Tom Baker's narration just gives it even more of a fun factor.
Leila Anani
This is the first of 5 linked stories in the Hornet's Nest series written by Paul Magrs featuring Tom Baker as the Doctor. One of my absolute favourites this series is what made me love Dr Who in the first place mixing weird and creepy.

It begins like a Sherlock Holmes tale and ends with alien hornets infesting the brains of taxidermied animals. Its genuinely scary, tense and freaky - What Dr Who is all about. Recommended.
Paul Doody
Jun 16, 2010 Paul Doody rated it really liked it
In 2009, Tom Baker was lured back to the show which made him world-famous, and this is the first of a five-part sequence. It's great to have him back, but the story disappoints.
Nathan Friedl
Feb 22, 2013 Nathan Friedl rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Worth the price to have Tom Baker back voicing the Doctor again, and Richard Franklin (Yates) is great as well. Good fun, and looking forward to the next in the series.
Fanona
Fanona rated it did not like it
Jan 11, 2016
Simon
Simon rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2010
Matt
Matt rated it did not like it
Jul 01, 2011
Emily Ellis
Emily Ellis rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Keith Hudson
Keith Hudson rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2014
Samuel
Samuel rated it really liked it
May 28, 2013
Radley
Radley rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2013
David Hodge
David Hodge rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2011
Andy
Andy rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Jennifer rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2013
David
David rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2010
Frazer Lee
Frazer Lee rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Lupa
Lupa rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2011
Ian Shimwell
Ian Shimwell rated it liked it
May 20, 2014
Mikael Kuoppala
Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Debra Cook
Jan 21, 2016 Debra Cook rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobooks
sucked. He just put me to sleep.
Thomas
Thomas rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
May 20, 2013
Terrence
Terrence rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2010
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2012
David
David rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Fourth Doctor-Talking Books (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 2 - The Dead Shoes
  • Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 3 - The Circus of Doom
  • Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 4 - A Sting in the Tale
  • Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 5 - Hive of Horror
  • Doctor Who: Demon Quest, Part 1 - The Relics of Time
  • Doctor Who: Demon Quest, Part 2 - The Demon of Paris
  • Doctor Who: Demon Quest, Part 3 - Shard of Ice
  • Doctor Who: Demon Quest: Starfall: A Multi-Voice Audio Original Starring Tom Baker #4
  • Doctor Who: Demon Quest: Sepulchre: A Multi-Voice Audio Original Starring Tom Baker #5
  • Doctor Who: Serpent Crest, Part 1-Tsar Wars (Serpent Crest #1)

“You're crackers.”

“Marvelous isn't it? I find it's the only way to be.”
10 likes