Start by marking “Cut, Crop & Die (A Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Cut, Crop & Die (A Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #2)

Cut, Crop & Die (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery #2)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  740 ratings  ·  106 reviews

All it took was one scone.

Published (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Cut, Crop & Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cut, Crop & Die

Susan Swiderski
I'm not into scrapbooking, but that doesn't mean I didn't thoroughly enjoy this story about a bunch of ladies who are. When a less-than-popular gal keels over at a big scrapbooking event, there's no lack of suspects. Along with the whodunit mystery, this book contains other interesting side stories and welcome doses of humor. My favorite involves a rich socialite's ongoing battle with a bunch of lawn-ruining moles. (Think Bill Murray in "Caddyshack"... only in high heels and a Chanel suit...)

The...more
Veronica Noechel
Unfortunately, I let this linger in my "currently reading" section for far too long, so this may not be the most detailed review. This wasn't my favorite in the series, but I didn't have that "I wish I had read something else instead" feeling either. I'm curious to see where this series is going. I'm a scrapbooking nerd as well as a true crime/forensics dork so these are up my alley, but I'm hoping we get to see the regular characters gain some more depth and their own compelling storylines sinc...more
Corky
Kiki is a "character" much the way Stephanie Plum is a "character". Thos of you reading this that read Janet Evanovich will certainly understand that statement.

Kiki Lowenstein is a newly widowed scrapbooker, whose passion and hobby is now supporting her and her daughter Anya. She gets some help with her daughter from her very wealthy, and very opinionated mother in law.

In this mystery, the second of the series, a fellow scrapbooker dies at a local conference organized by Kiki's boss. What Kiki g...more
Leigh Mitchell
Enjoyable read :)
Dalene
Originally posted at A Date with a Book

This cozy was a free Kindle download and being book two of the series, I was a bit worried about being lost on some of the details. It was obvious I had missed book one action and adventure, but did not affect the details I needed for this book.

This book was fairly a quick read. Sometimes I felt a lull while reading and realized a lot of the story did not revolve around the crime and the solving of the murder. While I enjoyed what went on in the personal...more
Julie Failla Earhart
Poor Kiki! It was bad enough that her two-timing husband George went and got himself killed in the first Scrap-N-Craft Mystery, Paper, Scissors, Death, but now someone is messing with her new found livelihood as scrapbooker extraordinaire at St. Louis’ Time in a Bottle.
In this second installment, Kiki; her boss, Dodi; and newest team member, Bama are hosting a crop at the Missouri Botanical Gardens. When Yvonne Gardener, the latest scrapbooking star in the metro area, succumbs to a rare allergy,...more
Katie Kenig
I had a bit of a hard time getting into this, the second Kiki Lowenstein cozy mystery from Joanna Campbell Slan, filled with bits and bobs about scrapbooking - one of my own favourite hobbies - as well as curious twists and turns surrounding the death of a scrapper at a crop that Time In a Bottle (or TinaB for those in the know), the shop where Kiki is employed, was sponsoring.

The dead woman is one of Kiki's rivals, a scrapbooker who has recently won a prestigious scrapping contest, and apparen...more
Kim
Another great one! I recommend her to all scrap-bookers.

Here are some favorite quotes: Some changed up a bit.

"When the teen years strike, the closer children are to their parents, the tougher it is for them to act independent in a respectufl manner. Instead, they use the people they love as a bettering ram. Once they've destroyed our figures, our hearts, our egos, our bank accounts, and our self-esteem, it's on to our jugular veins. That's one reason we work hard to get them into a good college....more
Resa
The second book in the Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft mystery series (quite a long name there isn't it?) I picked this one up because it was the "deal of the week" according to my Pixel of Ink bargain kindle books email. While it wasn't clearly advertised this was the *second* book in the series (in fact I think somewhere in the email it said this was the beginning of the series) I didn't have a hard time picking up the pieces and figuring out all the friendships, frenemies, family animosities, a...more
Katie
Interesting book. Well worth reading. I was quite shocked at the development regarding the detective...and now am quite intrigued to see how this plays out. Mystery wise it is weak. However, the the story has engaging characters and the day to day stuff is quite entertaining. I can really identify with the teenage angst storyline. I was more than entertained by the romantic developments in the last 100 pages. That was the best part of the book for me.

The mystery isn't as gripping as the first o...more
Melissa
Book #2 in the series.

"Tainted icing triggers a rare allergy, and a hobbyist croaks at a scrapbooking crop sponsored by Time in a Bottle, the store where Kiki Lowenstein works. When it comes out that someone swiped the victim's emergency medication, the scrappers realize they have a murder on their hands, and the entire community jumps to point the finger at Kiki and her coworkers. Suddenly, the one anchor in Kiki's stormy life is on the verge of sinking beneath a ruined reputation. But who woul...more
Sue
book description:

All it took was one scone. When the hot-tempered (and widely hated) hobbyist Yvonne Gaynor eats a tainted pastry at Kiki's scrapbooking crop party, it triggers an allergy that leads to Yvonne's death. Even worse, the police suspect foul play when they realize that someone tampered with the treats and swiped the victim's allergy medication.

An expert at stealing design ideas, Yvonne had enough enemies to fill a memory album. Soon, the scrapbooking community pins her murder on Kiki...more
Patty
Kiki and her scrapbooking friends are at it again, only this time death strikes one of their own, a scrapbooker! There is nothing for Kiki to do but to get involved in the investigations. This time there are suspects everywhere and it is up to Kiki to figure out which one actually "dunnit".

Of course there is also the melodrama of Kiki's relationships, her daughter, her mother-in-law and that cute cop from the first book all keep her life in turmoil.

I must admit, the scene where Kiki takes her fi...more
Sarah Adamson
The second book in the series - and Ms Slan does it again. She manages to balance the mystery, the every-woman feeling and the scrapbooking really well. I loved learning little bits about scrapbooking and learning that scrapbookers are like the fans of every other craft - they love to get together, they love to share their knowledge and yet there are always those who...well the rest of us don't really like coming to events with them!
The mystery again kept me turning the pages (and kept me up mos...more
Gina

Cut, Crop & Die (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #2)

3 / 5

This was a nice little fluff read. Every once in a while, I dive into a cozy mystery to pass the time. This was a freebie I picked up through my Kindle app a while back. It's not rocket science or a real page-turner of a thriller, but it was fun and I'd read more in the series.

Susan
Scrapbooker Kiki Lowenstein is shocked when an unpopular woman dies at a scrapping event sponsored by Kiki's employer, but it's even worse than she thinks--the woman was poisoned, and many scrapbookers seem to blame the store. Fortunately, Kiki's formerly distant mother-in-law seems to be more friendly, as Kiki's daughter is reaching a difficult pre-teen stage. In addition to her job troubles, Kiki has man troubles, and of course the murderer she unmasked in Slan's first mystery is still on the...more
Laura Schrillo
I really enjoy this series.
Linda
Airplane book
Susan
This is the second in a series about Kiki Lowenstein, a scrapbooker who is also a single mother. I'm glad I read a book later in the series as this one felt a little uneven. There is a small storyline about a dog who can't watch Sesame Street that just seemed to be random. On the other hand, the scene in which Kiki suffers an allergy attack at the day spa had me chuckling. The story also filled in some of the story of Dodie, Kiki's boss at the scrapbook store. I would have given this 2.5 strs if...more
Anne
This 2nd installment continued developing the characters from the first book and added some new ones. Some things went well and others not so much. The mystery wasn't really very interesting, too ordinary. But in the tradition of all cozy mysteries, it is about people and their desires, needs, dreams. So maybe that is to be expected and I'm being a bit harsh about that. I like this series and some of its characters. The heroine is sometimes brilliant, sometimes a bumbling idiot and rather endear...more
Alissa
This is the second of the Kiki Lowenstein mysteries and at first, I thought, hmm not sure if I'll be reading these again since some of my earlier concerns about sequencing where not addressed, and Kiki didn't really seem to be in amateur sleuth mode. But then came a twist, which surprised me, and after that point I had to admit I like Kiki and am more interested in her as a character than the secondary mystery plot line.

So I'll be looking forward to the third book in the series.
Mascanlon
I read the paperback version of the first book in this series several years ago. i rediscovered the author on my Kindle. Scrapper Kiki Lowenstein has had to remake her live after her wealthy husband is murdered. She leverages her paper art skills into a paying job. When a customer dies of an allergic reaction at a scrapping retreat Kiki has to jump into the fray to keep her job and her new life in tact. Another bump in her personal life adds a touch of reality to this story.
Paula Vaughn
I was amazed at how much KiKi has grown. The once shy housewife who quickly became a timid widow, is quickly developing into a confident and courageous single mom. Not matter what life throws her way, her daughter is always first priority. Unfortunately, Anya is hitting the Tween stage of life. I think this is every parent's nightmare. I know I'm starting to get a taste of it with my son. I am so looking forward to reading book three in the series.
Nell
This was a book with an identity crisis. It couldn't decide if it was a romance, a mystery or a non fiction guide to scrapbooking. It didn't quite succeed at any of them. It was pleasant and as I knew nothing about scrapbooking - actually I still really don't know what it is, I thought I might learn things. The jewish part of the story was also a surprise - like an extra factor lobbed in just in case the other things weren't enough for the plot.
Kerrie
this was deffo one for the girls, it was light hearted and fun and although someone was murdered, they were a bit of a rotter so that was ok :oD!
I did find it a little patronizing in places and I could have done without the crafty tips at the end of each chapter but on the whole it has left me wanting to read the next so all good in my world. Also, the main character was instantly likeable and so made for an enjoyable, quick and easy read.
Annette
I am not a scrap booking person, so the specific information was not my cup of tea. I enjoyed the humor, the family relationships, the romance, and of course the mystery which all held my interest. I have never read anything by this author before, but will certainly try her again. I would have liked the murderer to be a little more difficult to find. She is a talented author and I look forward to reading more by her.
Sandybear76
Joanna Campbell Slan has written books about scrapbooking and about journaling. Now she has written a mystery about Kiki who works in a scrapbook store. Kiki and her boss are in charge of a crop for scrapbooking ladies. Before the event starts, it is stopped by murder. An award winning scrapbooker is killed at the crop. Kiki vows to find the murderer. A fun read. Tips about scrapbooking are given in the book.
Shirley Worley
KiKi attempts to solve the murder of an attendee to a scrapbooking party before it destroys her friends and the company she works for. In the process, she learns a lot about her daughter (preteen, need I say more), draws closer to the mother of her recently deceased husband, and dabbles in love. When deception comes between her and Detective Detweiler, her attention is drawn to a new face in town.
Watered down mystery 3 15 Apr 28, 2013 05:49AM
  • Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery #1)
  • Antiques Bizarre (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Pan (Daphne Martin, #2)
  • Wild Goose Chase (A Quilting Mystery, #1)
  • Bingo Barge Murder (A Shay O'Hanlon Caper, #1)
  • Silenced by the Yams (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #3)
  • Murder Half-Baked
  • Death Benefits (Southern Fraud Thriller, #2)
  • Force of Habit (Falcone & Driscoll Investigation, #1)
  • September Fair (Murder-by-Month Mystery #5)
  • A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #1)
  • Heaven Preserve Us (Home Crafting Mystery, #2)
  • Progressive Dinner Deadly (A Myrtle Clover Mystery #3)
  • Let Us Prey (Gotcha Detective Agency Mysteries, #1)
  • Magnolias, Moonlight, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery #4)
  • Sweet's Sweets (A Samantha Sweet Mystery #2)
  • An Eye for Murder (Ellie Foreman, #1)
  • Scrapbook of Secrets
National bestselling and award-winning author Joanna Campbell Slan was born in Jacksonville, Florida, but she grew up in a small town in Indiana. After graduating from Ball State University with a degree in journalism, she worked as a newspaper reporter, a newspaper ad salesperson, a television talk show host, a college teacher, a public relations professional, and a motivational speaker. In that...more
More about Joanna Campbell Slan...
Paper, Scissors, Death (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #1) Make, Take, Murder (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #5) Photo, Snap, Shot (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #4) Ready, Scrap, Shoot (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #6) Death of a Schoolgirl (The Jane Eyre Chronicles, #1)

“I can't understand people being rude to their spouses. Your husband or wife should be the one person in the world you treat with loving patience. He or she chose you above all others-for a lifetime! And yet I see women who are nicer to their girlfriends, and men who are more thoughtful toward their employees. That's meshuganeh. Friends come and go. Employees move on. Your partner is there for the long haul. He deserves your best every day of your life.” 2 likes