Start by marking “Mr. Malcolm's List” as Want to Read:
Mr. Malcolm's List

Mr. Malcolm's List

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  38 reviews
The Honorable Mr. Malcolm has a secret. This elusive matrimonial prize, long the target of desperate debutantes and their matchmaking mothers, is well known for his fastidiousness. What is not well known is that he has a list of qualifications for his future bride. Can any woman hope to win the heart of such a hardened critic? Selina Dalton can only try her best. And when...more
Published March 2nd 2009 by Leymone House (first published February 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Malcolm's List, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Malcolm's List

Brenda
I started this book last evening, having read the first chapter online, and could not put it down.

I recently discovered the Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig and this was very similar in atmosphere and temper. Light-hearted, well crafted, and a very easy read. I think that fans of Georgette Heyer and Jane Austen will find this book a pleasant romp. Mr. Malcolm is reminiscent of Mr. Darcy, a bit rigid in the beginning but quite pliable in the end.

I read this in a single sitting. It is a ve...more
Qnpoohbear
This light romantic comedy is filled with the usual cliched characters and plot devices. I didn't like the relationship between Malcolm and Selina. I felt it could have been better developed aside from mere physical attraction. They are both intelligent and witty but most of their interactions are sparse on dialogue. Malcolm mostly comes across as a snob who doesn't really know what he wants. Selina is a bit too nice at first but she improves as her temper is tried. Another character experience...more
Andrea Lundgren
I was prepared for this to be not-Georgette-Heyer going into it. I wasn't prepared for the areas where we lose the big things that made upper class Regency society what it was. At one point, the heroine and hero are together, in an alcove at a ball...and when he tries to kiss her, she succumbs. Where was the hitting-him-with-her-fan for his advances? Assuming she didn't want to become his mistress, what was she thinking? Gentlemen don't take advantage of young women when their foot has demanded...more
Beth Bedee
I've never actually read a book from this genre before. I know, I know...have I been hiding under a rock? What can I say, Cliffs notes were my friend in school.

After reading so many "romances" that are in your face with the content, I was wondering how I'd respond to the subdued nature of the the content of this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, I flew through the book finishing it in 2 days.

It was well-written, and the dialogue was extremely clever. I really enjoyed the characters. Even t...more
Kathy
After reading Ingocnito by Allain I had to see what other books she had written, which is how I found Mr. Malcolms List. This was probably just as fun as Incognito, both are lighthearted regency novels. I thought the story idea was fun, the characters likable and of course I love the regency setting. I admit, I did not love Mr. Malcolm, but he did grow on my throughout the story. I definitely think it’s a good idea to have a general idea of what qualities you look for in a spouse, I just didn’t...more
Christopher
Hmm... Well, I really liked the first half of the book. Allain does a nice job of incorporating almost satirical humor as the characters meet, and develop feelings for each other. The storyline follows as one might predict from the synopsis, with: the heroine being roped into a scheme to humiliate the hero, the heroine and hero falling in love with each other, the hero believing the heroine was involved in treachery, and then the fallout. It was this last point I wasn't crazy about, because Alla...more
Alyssa
Feb 12, 2012 Alyssa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Jane Austen, Georgette Heyer
I'm so glad I found this gem of a book on GR and would highly recommend this to anyone wh likes reading well written, clever historical romance with a lot of humour and a delightful cast of characters. In the beginning, we are introduced to Mr Malcolm, a fastidious eligible bachelor with a list of criteria of what he looks for in a bride. Unfortunately for him, one of the ladies he had turned down found out about his list, and with a bad case of sour grapes, she enlisted her attractive friend to...more
Linda
Wonderfully light and enjoyable. I love that era and enjoyed the book.
Genean
This is a well paced charming book that is built for farce! If a man were to be hung by his own petard it could only be by a woman without an agenda to her own cause. A light hearted read well stocked in follies that leave the reader with lots of laughs. Not a must read, however a good why not poke a bit of fun from this one?
Abigail
I really enjoyed this book! Suzanne Allain's style of writing reminds me a lot of L. M. Montgomery (her short stories, not A of GG). There is the development of characters, the conflict, and resolution complete with a moral. It's succinct, and a very quick read. I highly recommend this delightful book!
suzi
It was ok but I didn't feel connected with the characters nor do I feel that they had character. It was more of a series of events put together. Read it if you like plot centered stories.
Hannah Colvin
Wow. I absolutely loved it. The wit bounces off of the pages and makes the reader keep reading...even if they have a test to study for. ( haha) This book has personality woven into every sentence, but it is still realistic.

( rating: G )

Read this book! It will be money well spent!
Michelle
Very Austen-ish, but without all her splendid detail about everything. The story was a fun, lighthearted romance. Mr. Malcolm has a list of requirements for marriage, and comes to find out that the person he loves is more important than any list.
Leaffrog03
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was a very quick read and I found it to be pretty funny. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy reading Jane Austen. I also really liked this author and now I want to read some of her other novels.
Tara
What a cute love story. The author had me laughing out loud! I would recommend this to anyone who loves a good, easy read, clean, love story. I can't wait to read more from Mrs. Allains.
Malinda
The first time I picked the book up I wasn't hooked but I happened to pick it up again before returning it to the library and loved it! It was a cute no-brainer and fun to read.
Karen Hogan
This was a quick, fun, read reminiscent of Jane Austen. Found myself laughing out loud at some of the scenes. Would read more of the author's work.
Becky
I love this book. It was one of the best I've read recently. A really short read, really enjoyable! Clean and fun regency romance.
Heidi
Very easy read, lighthearted, old fashion regency story..enjoyed. It was like a breath of spring air after reading all the news.
Libraryassistant
A charming waltz through the Regency period, with enjoyable characters whom Jane Austen might have recognized. Very enjoyable!
Haley
I really liked author's style of writing. It is very similar to Georgette Heyer. I will look for more by her.
Lisa
May 23, 2010 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys Regency romances
A fun, frothy regency read. I'll look for anything Suzanne Allain writes or edits.
Lara
Cute story if you are jonesing for some Jane Austin and have read them all 4 times.
Julia
Very fun read for all fans of Jane Austen type books with a bit of French Farce.
Jenny
I LOVED this book! Such fun dialogue and a fast, easy read. Thanks Becky :D
Steve Leblanc
A brilliant story line, with irony and wit. A feel good read!!
Andrea
A frothy, upbeat Regency Romance with some engaging characters.
Charlotte Shea
Laugh out loud, (damp) romp through lists and love.
Highland-dreamer
LOL funny and romantic. I absolutely loved this book.
Emyrose8
Delightful and fun read.
  • The Weaver Takes a Wife (Weaver, #1)
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • The Blackmailed Bride
  • Desperate Measures (A Regency Short Story)
  • Indiscretion
  • The Tenacious Miss Tamerlane
  • The Stanforth Secrets (Lovers and Ladies, #1)
  • Miss Whittier Makes a List
  • Beguiling Bridget (Waltzing with the Wallflower, #2)
  • The Duke's Wager (Bessacarr, #1)
  • The Guise of a Gentleman (Rogue Hearts, #2)
  • The Bedeviled Bride
  • The Unknown Ajax
  • The Mercenary's Marriage
  • Lydia
  • Marriage of Inconvenience
  • Friends and Foes (The Jonquil Brothers #1)
Incognito The Celebrated Pedestrian The Judas Postcard I Am Not David Sedaris - Though I Do Talk Like a Girl What Kind of Princess Are You?