Start by marking “Send Yourself Roses: My Life, Loves and Leading Roles” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Send Yourself Roses: M...

Kathleen Turner

Send Yourself Roses: My Life, Loves and Leading Roles

3.02 of 5 stars 3.02  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The New York Times bestseller SEND YOURSELF ROSES is now in trade paperback.

Kathleen Turner has always lived her life according to her own rules. The screen icon opens up about her own life--both personal and professional--the risks she's taken, and the lessons she's learned from her film and stage career, 20-year marriage (and recent seperation), raising her daughter, an
Published (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Send Yourself Roses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Send Yourself Roses

Alex
Perhaps the most surprising thing about this memoir is that Kathleen Turner has lead a fairly normal life. She still rides the bus, does her own shopping, and -- with the exception of her on-set affair with Michael Douglas in the early '80s-- has had a pretty unglamorous love life. I was a fan of hers back in the '80s, mainly due to "Romancing the Stone" which is still one of my favorite movies. She had a reputation at that time for vanity, and I think that worked against her. Her career seemed ...more
David
Some poignant stuff about her having rheumatoid arthritis, the difficulty of getting a correct diagnosis and pain of being mocked in tabloids for steroid-induced weight gain. Also I guess if you were an aspiring actor you might get something out of her account of breaking into film and theater. But for the most part it was a boring and disagreeable memoir. She clearly thinks very highly of herself and less so of everybody else. Does not disclose much of any interest value about other stars.

Fina
bookczuk
An copy that came my way via librarything in March. MARCH! And here it is June and I still haven't been able to finish the darn thing. I picked it up with great anticipation. After all Kathleen Turner is one of my favorite actresses. She has yet to disappoint, whether it's been in film or in interview. And while I could hear her distinctive voice behind the words very definitely in the beginning of the book, it just didn't sustain my interest. It was a struggle to get through her life up to mayb ...more
Marie
Jan 14, 2009 Marie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Kathleen Turner, anyone struggling with chronic illness
Shelves: nonfiction, memoirs, women
I read this highly conversational book as a break after Jane Eyre; talk about a complete contrast!

Kathleen Turner is a strong, opinionated woman, and her rising out of the ashes after her serious bout with rheumatoid arthritis (now in remission) piqued my interest in her memoir.

Do not read this book if you are sensitive to foul language. Turner (with the help of her friend Gloria Feldt) writes just as if she were speaking...with lots of colorful language and colloquialisms.

I enjoyed the descri
Patty
Any female in the 35-60 age range needs to read this book! Kathleen Turner opens up her life, her feelings, her family and her career for all to see. It is the more personal stories that strike a cord with all women "of a certain age". Her struggles with guilt over the death of her father after they had an argument; the amazing will power to overcome severe rheumatoid arthritis; and so many other things just resonate with me and I'm sure will with other women who grew up as "baby boomer" females ...more
Barb
Not a lot of indie gossip....actually more philisophical than I expected.
James Perkins
In this short book, Kathleen Turner gives us a quick peek into her life in a suprisingly open and honest retrospective. Wisely recognising that her strengths lie with acting rather than writing, she enlisted the assistance of her friend, writer Gloria Feldt, to put herself down on paper. Not quite a biography, and not quite a memoir - this book wants to be both but isn't really either. She follows only a loosely chronological path and feels free to jump years forward and backward and even skips ...more
Beth Ann
Apr 20, 2008 Beth Ann rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kathleen Turner devotees
I've enjoyed Kathleen Turner's work, and I know she's a big, bold personality, so I took her book out of the library to read. I was hoping to learn more about her while getting some good dish.

The book is co-written with her long-time friend Gloria Feldt, and it reads like Feldt acted as mere editor. Turner's voice comes out strong and clear in the prose, which I suspect came from multiple gabfests edited down into chapters.

I don't dislike books where the subject tells me of her life, but I wante
Tass
very much worth the read ..... I felt like I was sitting across the table from Kathleen Turner and we were sharing coffee or a meal, or at times a drink and she was just talking about what was on her
mind .......I don't want to trivialize the story ..This wasn't so intriguing because of her celebrity, it was interesting because she is talking of her life decisions, difficulties, triumphs ... Came across as very heartfelt and honest ......
CuteBadger
I wouldn't say that that I've ever been a big fan of Ms Turner's, but have been aware of her film work over the years. I don't think this book has endeared her to me - quite the opposite really. Having spent around 300 pages in her company I don't feel I know her much better than before. I found it quite superficial and always attempting to show her in the best light. Fairly interesting, but no more than that.
Rachel
I'm a sucker for actress memoirs- so freakin' what!?

It took me awhile to get through this because it is written in a very straight forward manner. She does drop the f bomb a lot, which was nice. I think that she gives good advice on being independent, making decisions, and training your voice to project confidence and intelligence. She also suggests that women should view men as "playthings" until about age 29, to really get to know themselves first. HAHA LOVE IT!

She drops just a tiny bit of gos
Linda
Jun 05, 2009 Linda rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Linda by: The View, Today
Shelves: cmpl
I saw Ms. Turner interviewed when the book came out about a year ago and thought this would be an interesting read. It was, but not the way I thought. It is mostly well-written (I don't understand how someone gets paid to say things like "between Gail and I"). I did not know Turner had such a cosmopolitan childhood. I hadn't realized she had been on the soap "The Doctors" for such a short period of time (where I first remember her). I didn't realize her language would be so "earthy". It was inte ...more
I was interested in reading this book after seeing Kathleen Turner in a recent interview speaking about her battle with RA. I loved her movies in the 80's and 90's and wanted to read about how her life has progressed since that time. Though a good read for me at certain points I was not as interested in her detailed accounts of acting but can see how an aspiring actor would get some good info from them. Also, she seems over the top with her self opinion. I think healthy confidence is great but i ...more
Elizabeth
When I was in middle school, I had an inexplicable yet hopeless celebrity crush on Kathleen Turner. I watched Romancing the Stone and Undercover Blues for months on end. I'm still vaguely embarrassed by this fact, but reading her book has lessened my guilt. She is, put simply, a pretty kick-ass broad. No-nonsense, blunt at times, honest, ballsy, and passionate. This probably isn't the best written celebrity autobiography on the market, but it's entertaining and has a lot of wisdom to offer. Her ...more
Steven
Jun 28, 2008 Steven rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kathleen Turner Fans (duh)
This book is all over the place an not very well written, but it's a great "star" biography with good dish about all her co-stars and movies. If you love Kathleen you'll want to read this. She's a woman who lives by her own rules and one of the few actresses who takes roles just for the money. She's also very open and honest about her relationships and struggles with alcohol and rheumatoid arthritis. The book culminates with her realizing the young actresses dream of playing Martha in "Who's Afr ...more
Well, I just wasn't liking it. The tone was not to my taste. Even the fact that Nicolas Cage took her to court over her assertion in the book that he stole a chihuahua is not enough to keep me reading it.
It kind of reminded me a bit of Me, by Katherine Hepburn. Too ACTIVE! a person for me to want to spend time with. I just like a bit more contemplation, I guess. It kind of read as self-help, also, or inspirational, so if you need someone to kick your butt into gear to get what you want from life
Barbara
Best known for her roles in "Body Heat" and as the voice of Jessica Rabbit, Kathleen Turner has had a long, storied career in both theater and film. This earthy memoir recounts her early days in theater as well as her film triumphs and the difficulties she's encountered along the way, notably from developing the painful condition known as rheumatoid arthritis. Reading about her going to work on stage and being in horrific pain makes me feel like a slacker. It's a warm, often funny autobiography ...more
Paula
I was looking for more of an insight into Turner's movies so I guess I should've read the title better: "thoughts on life, love and leading roles" this book definitely is. At times it does become a little self-indulgent (okay, I get that you're a strong, determined woman - now move on!) but I guess if you can't do it in your biography, where can you do it? On the flip side I found her childhood and the dynamic between her family quite interesting.
Lauren
It was interesting, but probably not something I'd read through again. I've never seen her movies, so the connection isn't really there for me. Yes it's a memoir of her life, but her me me me seemed a little excessive. I certainly do give her credit though for putting it out there. She's honest and certainly seemed to know what she wanted - like when she went for Virginia Woolfe, if I remember correctly.
Lisa
I always liked Kathleen Turner, however, the writer did not do a good job. The writer's style is stilted and the paragraphs do not transition.
Kathleen spends too much time telling us how great she is...I already thought she was great, or I would not have bought her book. An interesting woman, but a disappointing book.
Erin
I've always enjoyed Kathleen Turner, but I found this rather dull, and not very revealing. I think it lost a half-star for her continuous repitition that she NEVER chooses a role unless it's a strong woman, central to the story and in an excellent script. And yet she never mentions "Baby Geniuses". Odd.
Remo
Often snarky with lots of name dropping, but some of the background on how she prepared for roles and what went on backstage or on the sets was really interesting. Some good nuggets in here, but you really have to be interested in Ms Turner to read this. Otherwise give it a pass.
Barbara
As much as I like her work, I did not like this book. Not even a little bit. The writing was downright boring. If I wanted to know so much about the acting, I'd read a manual. Kathleen Turner really should stick to acting.
Chris
The stage and screen siren shares details of her life, loves, favorite roles and ongoing battles with alcoholism and rheumatoid arthritis. Fans of Ms. Turner will revel in her brutal honesty and wicked sense of humor.
Anne Walbridge
Surprisingly interesting. I'm not exactly a member of the KT fan club, though I was impressed when I saw her onstage last year in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (she OWNED that stage). The lady's got huevos.
Amy
I read this primarily to see if anyone I knew from THE GRADUATE was mentioned (the answer is yes, but not by name). It's not very well-written but you have to love her spirit which shines through!
Jess
I love Kathleen Turner so it was little wonder that I enjoyed this book so much. She's very funny and gives a fast paced overview of her laugh. It felt as though I had read it in seconds.
Yolonda
A little dull, as a writing style. I skimmed it more than read it word for word. She plays things close to the vest. Is she trying not to be sued, one wonders? C'mon, dish.
Carol
Once in a while I like to read a biography just to mix things up. I've seen many of Kathleen Turner's movies and always enjoyed her as an actress.
Linda
The film/stage actress tells it all in her autobiography. We were fortunate to see her in 2009 in a theater production - what an actress!
  • She Ain't Heavy, She's My Mother: A Memoir
  • Swimming Underground: My Years in the Warhol Factory
  • The Girl Who Walked Home Alone: A Personal Biography of Bette Davis
  • Water Cooler Diaries: Women across America Share Their Day at Work
  • Ava Gardner
  • Cancer is a Bitch (or, I'd Rather Be Having a Midlife Crisis)
  • False Victim: Based on a True Story
  • From This Day Forward
  • Getting the Pretty Back: Friendship, Family, and Finding the Perfect Lipstick
  • Call Me Crazy: A Memoir
  • Poker Face: The Rise and Rise of Lady Gaga
  • Growing Up Again: Life, Love and Oh Yeah, Diabetes
Mary Kathleen Turner is an Academy Award-nominated American actress. She came to fame during the 1980s, after roles in the Hollywood films Body Heat, Romancing the Stone and Prizzi's Honor.

Turner (in collaboration with Gloria Feldt) wrote her memoir Send Yourself Roses: Thoughts on my Life, Love, and Leading Roles, published in 2008. The book was on the New York Times bestseller list for three wee
More about Kathleen Turner...
Rumpelstiltskin Send Yourself Roses Rabbit Ears World Tales, Vol. 2: Rumpelstiltskin, The Tiger and The Brahmin The Graduate Body Heat