Start by marking “This Green House: Home Improvements for the Eco-Smart, the Thrifty, and the Do-It-Yourselfer” as Want to Read:

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Just the thought of “going green” can make you feel blue. Trying to live sustainably sounds like a whole lot of work and a whole lot of deprivation. Well, Josh Piven aims to both shrink your carbon footprint and soothe your eco-anxiety. In a guidebook that’s as funny as it is practical, Piven shows you how to green every room of the house—and have a good time doing it.
Proj
Published September 1st 2009 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about This Green House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Green House

Ela
I like this book for being neat and organized. As expected, it features practical (and not to mention, innovative) ways to contribute to eco-friendly solutions. I will definitely apply some of the examples mentioned into my dream green home. But why wait? Some ideas elaborated here can be done in our very own existing homes too. So there!
Tamara
Props to this book for being funny and creative. The illustrations are priceless. I'll probably take up the suggestion to use the bottom of soda bottles as plant starters.

Suggestions that made me laugh, but also made sense:
Use your cable box to warm towels (to make use of the heat generated from this inefficient device)
Make a body squeegee (to replace the need for washing bath towels)
Make a toilet sink (to make use of gray water)

Suggestions I will probably never pursue:
Set your body clock ins
Patricia
By the man who brought us the Worst Case Scenario Survival Guide, you can now count on him to help green your home. This is chock full of plenty of projects ranging from easy to hard. Two of my favorite were retrofitting your toilet so you could flush with greywater, and how to make your very own washing machine. It involves a Rubbermaid container, a (new) toilet plunger, a drill to make a hole and your own muscles to get the clothing clean. It's genius! There were all sorts of fantastic gems in ...more
Pamela
Book is full of handy tips from easy to do to full-on handyman/ contractor-necessary tips and tasks to get your home "Greener" and energy-efficient. While the reader may find many of these tips to be not necessarily practical for their situation, there's enough here that anyone should find something they can implement in their life to help make their home a better, sustainable place.
Julie Heckman
I LOVED this book. Some of the suggestions are just completely impractical for my life but I found a ton of great ideas that I can do very easily.
Not very realistic, but Quite humorous...
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Aime Araujo
Aime Araujo marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Gumbo77
Gumbo77 marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Aya Ziyad
Aya Ziyad marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Jennifer Medina
Jennifer Medina marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Rachel
Rachel added it
Mar 11, 2014
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Jessamy
Jessamy marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Danielle Poirier
Danielle Poirier marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2013
Graig
Graig added it
Jul 05, 2013
Sue Potter
Sue Potter marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2013
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2013
Mouse
Mouse marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2013
Amanda L
Amanda L marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2013
Josh Piven is a television writer and producer, speechwriter, playwright, and the author or co-author of more than twenty non-fiction and humor books, including the worldwide best-selling The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook series.

He wrote the teleplay and serves as producer of Don The Beekeeper, a half-hour children’s TV show about honeybees and urban beekeeping. His most recent stage play,
More about Joshua Piven...
The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Travel The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Dating and Sex The Complete Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Work