Start by marking “Ghosts of the McBride House: A True Haunting” as Want to Read:
Ghosts of the McBride House: A True Haunting

Ghosts of the McBride House: A True Haunting

What is it about the McBride House that serves as a beacon to the dead? Built in the oldest town in Oklahoma by physician George McBride in 1895, this Victorian home is rife with ghosts from the past. Ghostly parties at 2:00 a.m., spirits calling family members and houseguests by name, dolls that talk even after the batteries have been removed...The Back family has been ...more
Published August 8th 2009 by Llewellyn Publications (first published August 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Ghosts of the McBride House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosts of the McBride House

Peyton
Sep 24, 2009 Peyton rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was an easy read. You can tell the author isn't really an...author? She's just a normal woman who wrote about her experiences living in a haunted house. I think if I tried to write a book, it would come out the same way!

If you are interested in the history of Oklahoma or Civil War history, you would probably enjoy this book. If you are a total skeptic and poo-poo the idea of ghosts, don't bother.

Amanda
I tried pushing through but I just couldn't finish this seemingly easy read. The book really could have used an editor or a co-author who is more familiar with storytelling.

I also found it harder to believe that a 4 year old child spoke in coherent, complex sentences ("Mother, who was the man that walked down the stairs and went into our bathroom?") than I did their house being haunted.
Courtney
Oct 13, 2012 Courtney rated it liked it
I liked it. It was interesting to read about someone living with that kind of thing day to day. Some stuff, though...

I'd read a journal entry before (online) by someone who grew up in a haunted house. They had two ghosts, one child and one adult, and it seemed odd when Back would talk about seeing the ghosts, and their 'cold, sharp eyes' or however she put it, when the LJ entry, while mentioning very similar incidences (actually seeing the ghost, or one episode where the ghost was throwing thin
Heather
Apr 06, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Very interesting first hand account of the supernatural goings on in her family's home. Haunted by the original owner, a Victorian woman and two children, the family learned to live WITH the ghosts despite the fear they feel at times at their antics. Easy read - read in one evening.
Emily
Jan 11, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
I love ghost stories and this was a good one! True story of a family living in an old mansion that they come to find is haunted, really haunted... and they still live there.
Casey
Sep 22, 2011 Casey added it
Shelves: ghosts, nonfiction
Really hard to put down. I definitely enjoyed it.
Whitewash
Excellent! Has Been added to my collection.
Sara Walczyk
Oct 22, 2016 Sara Walczyk rated it did not like it
This book was poorly written, and therefore the whole haunting thing was not believable. Also, these people were in this "haunted" house from 1982 to at least 2009. Why didn't they record anything that was happening? Oh yeah, because none of it did. The whole story came across as Cecilia Back trying to convince you of stuff by thinking of random things and then explaining to you like a three-year-old why they were "ghostly". All the dialogue in the story was incredibly cheesy and seemed forced. ...more
Haley
Oct 31, 2016 Haley rated it liked it
A fun read for Halloween
Jamie Patzer Johnson
Interesting account - not all that scary . Written in writers own voice .
Oct 03, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: halloween
In the spirit of Halloween I have a yearly ritual where I read as many ghosts and paranormal books as possible in the month of October. I get a kick out of discovering new authors and rereading some old classics. This book is like many other books that describes a family's personal encounter with a ghost. The family purchases a home that seems almost too good to be true and realizes rather quickly that the home is not what they wanted. The author is recounting a first hand experience of her ...more
Jessi
Sep 01, 2015 Jessi rated it it was amazing
An absolutely great, quick read! I live about 15 miles from this house and had heard rumors about it that gave me delicious chills! I was so excited when the library got a copy of this book by a woman who lived in the home for 25 years. Her ex-husband stills lives there now, but sadly the home is in desperate need of repair. Unfortunately, repairs are most likely to not happen unless some brave souls decide to make it work even with the problems that will most surely arise. Apparently Dr. ...more
Carolyn
Aug 24, 2014 Carolyn rated it liked it
S.O.S. Same ole... I felt like screaming as I read how tranquilly this woman lived with her ghostly pals- "Heard it!" This was too unbelievable. Too well told. Nothing was really shown. It could have easily been a transcript for a reality show of ghosts. All it was missing was the same ole Lifetime movie network husbands much too expected response of , "You need rest, take some pills, you're losing it." I found it to be like a net flix film: slow, dragging, nearly pointless. If it really did ...more
Lissa
Sep 01, 2014 Lissa rated it it was ok
I'm a sucker for ghost stories, so I was eager to read this book. The author details her experiences in the "McBride House," which is a house built by Dr. McBride in the 1800s at Fort Gibson. The house, the author says, is haunted by four ghosts - a young boy, a young girl, a woman, and Dr. McBride himself.

The writing style is what really bogged down this book. The conversations are horribly stilted; no one really talks that way. I found myself having to slug through the book, hoping that it wo
Jan
Feb 04, 2014 Jan rated it liked it
An amusing little collection of stories about the four ghosts who live in her 1895 Victorian home. From ghostly parties at 2 a.m., cigar smoke and other smells, both tolerable and intolerable, to toys that work without batteries and appliances that work without being plugged in, I would find the situation would get on my nerves after a while. However, the author has figured out a way to go with the flow while living in this spectacular house -- between this book and conducting house tours, she's ...more
Molly
Oct 30, 2012 Molly rated it it was ok
I think the main reason I didn't like this book that much was because it was quite clear Back isn't a writer. She's just an everyday person, describing her experiences living in a haunted house. I think what she's experienced is really cool, but her lack of writing ability tool away from the story for me. I didn't find what she said particularly interesting. I'm sure, though, if we had a face to face conversation, I'd be really creeped out by her stories.
Lolapaige
Not quite the scary experiences I would hope for. I guess I'm spoiled on reading so much true paranormal stuff. The ghosts seemed more cooperative and it made it seem sort of made up. I do appreciate the fact that she stuck to things that actually happened however. I respect the fact that she didn't add embellishments the way most author's of "true haunting" stories do.
Naomi
Sep 28, 2010 Naomi rated it did not like it
OK...I was feeling generous and was going to give this book 2 stars...until I got to the last 60 pages of the book. This book was so bad. I can't even go into how bad it was. I would recommend this book if you are looking for totally brainless reading-maybe you just finished so more difficult literature...or if you are a pre-teen...not young adult, but pre-teen. Sorry, I can't be more positive.
Michele
Aug 06, 2014 Michele rated it liked it
Shelves: ghosts
Easy to read...finished in one day (NEVER do that anymore). Pictures of the home would have been nice, just because I love old homes. Currently, the McBride House seems to be in serious disrepair. Hopefully it can be restored.
Erica
Nov 28, 2013 Erica rated it liked it
Out of all the ghost books I have read this year this by far was the most well written one and I thoroughly enjoyed it. How she wrote about the each account was great and you felt like you were standing there with her. The book also was not repetitive like others I have read. Good read! :)
Oct 28, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, 2012
The writing is amateurish but frankly, I just wanted an easy read 'bout a haunted house. Done and done.
Nicole
Jan 03, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed it. The details of the haunting were so fascinating, and the author did a great job at portraying real life events of a haunting.
Steve Parcell
Dec 29, 2015 Steve Parcell rated it it was ok
It was ok. Can't think of much else to say really. I wouldn't recommend it but didn't hate it at least! Very much by the numbers haunted house story which was about as scary as Scooby Doo.
Shawn Gordon
Shawn Gordon rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Jean
Jean rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2012
Annette Oram
Annette Oram rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2011
theghostwriter
theghostwriter rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2009
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • When the Ghost Screams: True Stories of Victims Who Haunt
  • The Ghosts on 87th Lane: A True Story
  • Haunted: The Incredible True Story of a Canadian Family's Experience Living in a Haunted House
  • The Sallie House Haunting: A True Story
  • Ghosts: True Encounters from the World Beyond
  • House of Spirits and Whispers: The True Story of a Haunted House
  • Don't Call Them Ghosts: The Spirit Children of Fontaine Manse
  • Grave's End: A True Ghost Story
  • The Uninvited: The True Story of the Union Screaming House
  • Haunted Heritage: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories
  • The Ghost Next Door: True Stories of Paranormal Encounters from Everyday People
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • Encyclopedia of Haunted Places: Ghostly Locales from Around the World
  • Haunted Cemeteries: Creepy Crypts, Spine-Tingling Spirits, and Midnight Mayhem
  • Ghosts Caught On Film: Photographs of the Paranormal