The Best Nest (Beginner Books(R))

The Best Nest (Beginner Books(R))

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  7,892 ratings  ·  92 reviews
Illus. in full color. Mr. and Mrs. Bird's search for a "better" nest leads them to some peculiar spots. "Funny."--School Library Journal....more
Library Binding, 72 pages
Published September 12th 1968 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published July 12th 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Nest (Beginner Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Nest (Beginner Books

Sharon
May 09, 2013 Sharon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Sharon by: My mom
There are some passages from 'classic' literature that are worth keeping alive, such as this one; from, The Best Nest by P.D. Easton, "I love my house, I love my nest, In all the world, My nest is best." Do you concur?," and, if not: might not you be the reason? Just asking? -Please pardon the grammar errors. Sometimes, wisdom transcends grammar. But I still think grammar mechanics are important.
Kathleen Dixon
I've just had a hilarious time reading other Goodreads reviews on this book - a couple were sad because "there's not much love" in this book, another was upset with the use of the word hate because it's a banned word in her household, several criticised Mrs Bird while others excused her because we all know pregnant women are touchy (OOPS, spoiler!!!), one told us what Mr Bird should have done instead of giving in to Mrs Bird's displeasure . . . . I think I enjoyed these reviews almost as much as...more
Kandra
This was the first book that my daughter loved, so we have read it at least 100 times. She still takes it to bed with her sometimes. Books - the ultimate comfort.
Al
Sep 18, 2007 Al rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children/parents
I thought Mrs. Bird was a little quick to judge, but she was after all with egg.
Kyrie
I wanted to throttle Mrs. Bird for being so picky.
Acton
(Bodhi - 4 stars) The main idea of this book is that two birds are looking for a nest. I liked it because they had to look and look for a nest and they found one eventually, and it was funny.
(Saskia - 5 stars) Mr. Bird sang a song and he was so happy because he loved his house. Mrs. Bird came home and told him to stop singing because she did not like their house. The whole book is about them trying to find a new nest, but then they find their old nest again. I would give this book five stars bec...more
Angie
Of course I read this a long time ago. But I got it on ... Saturday? To go with my new color Nook and read with my niece. Fun!

And ironic, considering my day today. Be happy with what you have. A lesson to be learned by all of us.
David Sarkies
There is no place like home
17 November 2013

This is a wonderful little story (see I am not always harsh when it comes to Children's books) about two birds who decide that they no longer like their old house (or at least the woman doesn't, the man is perfectly happy to sit on top of his house and sing his song all day about how his nest is the best nest) and go on a quest to find a new house. However every house they find is either occupied (by a foot, or some letters) or has hidden traps (such a...more
Yahira Romero
This book is cute. Its about a couple who live in a cute nest. The husband is very happy with their house but the wife was not happy. She wanted a new nest and they went out looking for one. The looked all around town and could not find one. Once they found a nest they started settling in and they didnt notice that it was at a church where there was a bell. Well that bell rang and the birds got all scared. In the end they end up right back in their own nest with a new baby. There are going to be...more
Kelsey Wagner
This is a rhyming book about Mr. and Mrs. Bird. Mr. Bird thinks they have the best nest, but Mrs. Bird disagrees, so they go on a journey to find a new home. They try living in a tree, a boot, a mailbox, a church steeple and a chimney, but unfortunately all are already taken. The two are separated after Mrs. Bird flew off in a frightened frenzy, but are reunited at their old nest. It turns out that their old home was perfect after all. The illustrations are very cute and are there to reinforce t...more
Mike Spinak
The Best Nest is better than P.D. Eastman's other classic children's book, Go, Dogs, Go! Nonetheless, it isn't in any way superlative. It's a modestly humorous story, with serviceable text and serviceable pictures. Competent, and nothing more. I think most adults reading it would have to conclude that this is not a work of love, not a work that meant much personally to the author, not a work of great thought nor effort nor inspiration, but more something that was quickly cranked out in a formula...more
Bookwyrm
Good read aloud book with the moral of being happy with what you have. I vividly recall the image of the birds collecting beard hair from a man on a park bench.
Brian Harticat
I sunk myself in this book. The life lessons this book gives are priceless. The biggest lesson is this: Do not listen to your nagging wife! I think I speak for most men on this. What the bird should have done is re-model the birdhouse, put in a sports den and wet bar. Then his buds could come over and hang. The wife bird would have been wise to make snacks and keep the birdhouse clean. I hope the author writes a sequel to this book where the dad bird tells her to find her own place, then turns t...more
Kelli
My new reader (daughter) loved it.
Summer
There's no place like home.
Kira Budge
My grandma had this book.
Megan D. Neal
This beloved story chronicles the mis-adventures of Mr. and Mrs. Bird in their search for the "perfect" house. I remember loving this book when I was little. My mom gave us a copy of the book when my oldest was 6 months old, and it has been a favorite in our household ever since. In fact, it is so well loved that we are on our second copy. As the mama reader, I'm sick to death of it, but only because I've read it umpteen million times. It never gets old for my kids though.

Andd Becker
Text and illustrations are excellent. The story is charming. A bird-wife hates her home so she and the bird-husband go looking for a new one.
Nothing is right: hole in tree, boot, mailbox, nest on bell in steeple.
Bird-husband searches for wife. Where could she be? He looks down a chimney. He looks in a water barrel. He thinks a cat has eaten Mrs. Bird. He bumps into his old house, and there he finds Mrs. Bird.
Tim
I loved reading this book to my daughter. It was always among the pile she would bring into the bedroom first thing in the morning when she wanted a story. (after a while she was restricted to five only, but this one was always there). In conversation with her a couple of weeks ago she still regards this as her favourite book from that time.

A great beginner's book and a lovely story.
Sally
I just found this today in a book shop and I was so excited as I had this book when I was little, I recognised the cover immediately although I havent seen this for about 25 years! I had so much fun reading this to my baby boy. A nice story about being thankful for what you have. Funny though - I did not recall Mrs Bird being so mean to Mr Bird - he is whipped!!
Camille
I am sure that there are hundreds of how-to books that explain the goings-on of pregnancy. I found one that struck me by surprise. While reading The Best Nest to my four year old I discovered that P.D. Eastman hit the nail on the head when it comes to the touchy topic of pregnancy and mood swings. Thankfully, it looks like Mrs. Bird wasn't "with bird" for too long.
Mariah
This is a great story about birds finding a new home. This would be a great story to teach kids about where different animals live and what their homes are like. It would only give them a sense of what different animals houses are like because there are only a few animal references and they do not go into great detail.Still, it could get kids thinking!
Rodrigo
Poor Mr. Bird is all I have to say about the book. I own a copy of it in spanish, regardless of the language, it is a cute little book. I read it once a while to my little monkey, but she doesnt like it very much. I think the pictures are relevant and nice to look at, there is no need to read the book, looking at the pictures is also fun! =].
Lavinia
This book was about a bird who loved his nest, but the mother bird said it wasn't the best nest, because she thought her new nest was the best. She was wrong. Her old nest was best.

I liked this book. My favorite page is when they think a shoe is the best home, but then the green foot appeared and they flew away.
Lucia
My kids love this book and it is enjoyable reading it out loud to them. It does contain the word "hate" several times, which is a word not allowed in our house and I feel not appropriate for a 2 and 4 year old.
I can't help but feel bad for the daddy bird because his wife is really mean, but my kids think it's funny!
Anna Loeppky
This book has excellent morals and a wonderful, story line. The birds start out not being content with the house they have and they go searching for a new one. The places that Mr. and Mrs. Bird find to live are funny and they are not working. The ending is adorable and it is an excellent book for all children!
Angela Ferrari
A momma bird demands a better home for her egg to hatch in. The daddy bird looks high and low and encounters some danger. But I love how they realize the best place to be, no matter how fancy was one where they were all together and safe, that makes a home.
Themes--Family, home, safety,momma and baby.
  • It's Not Easy Being a Bunny
  • A Fly Went by
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • A Fish Out of Water
  • I Wish That I Had Duck Feet
  • Robert the Rose Horse
  • I Want to Be Somebody New! (Beginner Books(R))
  • Snow (Beginner Books)
  • The Ear Book (Bright & Early Books(R))
  • Because a Little Bug Went Ka-choo!
  • Inside, Outside, Upside Down
  • Ten Apples Up On Top!
  • Just Grandma and Me
Philip Dey "Phil" Eastman was an American screenwriter, children's author, and illustrator. As an author, he is known primarily as P. D. Eastman. A protégé of Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss), Eastman wrote many books for children, in his own distinct style under the Dr. Seuss brand of Random House, many of which were in the Beginner Books series.

From 1936 to 1941, Eastman worked at the story departmen...more
More about P.D. Eastman...
Are You My Mother? Go, Dog. Go! Sam and the Firefly Big Dog...Little Dog The Alphabet Book (Bright & Early Board Books)