Start by marking “Grant Comes East (Gettysburg, #2)” as Want to Read:
Grant Comes East (Gettysburg, #2)

Grant Comes East (Gettysburg #2)

In their runaway bestseller Gettysburg, Newt Gingrich and William Forstchen answered the Civil War's ultimate hypothetical question: What if Lee's army had won the victory within its grasp at Gettysburg in 1863? Now, through the same extraordinary research and brilliant character studies, we take the next step of a provocative journey: The Army of Northern Virginia is pois ...more
Published April 4th 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published June 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Grant Comes East, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grant Comes East

The Killer Angels by Michael ShaaraCold Mountain by Charles FrazierMarch by Geraldine BrooksGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
Civil War Novels
24th out of 88 books — 44 voters
Gates of Fire by Steven PressfieldThe Killer Angels by Michael ShaaraShōgun by James ClavellGods and Generals by Jeff ShaaraThe Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell
Historical Military Adventure
55th out of 193 books — 137 voters

More lists with this book...

Gerry
Mar 02, 2016 Gerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a pity I have come into this trilogy with the second volume but never mind for it stands alone as it covers the six-week period when General Robert E. Lee's troops marched on Washington D.C., beginning just 13 days after he had suffered defeat at Gettysburg.

President Abraham Lincoln, despite the Gettysburg defeat, is in the White House defiant that his pledge to preserve the Union would be upheld at all costs. He has his Generals around him and has appointed Ulysses S. Grant as commander of
Jim Smith
Nov 01, 2012 Jim Smith rated it it was amazing
In all fairness I have to start this review with a spoiler alert. If you haven’t read the preceeding book by these authors (‘Gettysburg‘) then I strongly urge you to so, since ‘Grant Comes East‘ picks up more or less where ‘Gettysburg’ stops. Still here? OK – my first comment on this book is how well the authors have managed the departure from ‘our’ timeline and the skill with which they use the best rules of counterfactual history to drive the plot. In ‘Gettysburg’, Lee comments that the Army ...more
Bernie Charbonneau
Dec 29, 2014 Bernie Charbonneau rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any American Civil War Buff
This novel, the second in the “Gettysburg” trilogy by the author combination of Gingrich & Forstchen, is a great read! I would strongly recommend that you read the first novel in the series before diving into this book. It can be read on it’s own but you will benefit greatly by reading this series in order. This series being a speculative alternate history of the events that happened in the summer of 1863 during the American Civil War will make much more sense if read with the first novel. ...more
Oct 21, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Exceptional telling of a great time in our country's history. I have read one book in this series before and was very impressed. This book did a great job of continuing that impression. This story was told in such a great manner and is such a easy read. Highly recommend.
Micki
Nov 24, 2016 Micki rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the historical facts if the book but I was often using Google to separate fact from fiction. Will probably read #3 .
David Weinfeld
Nov 19, 2016 David Weinfeld rated it really liked it
Very good, reminds me of the Iliad, detailed battle scenes plus insights into the generals thinking and obedience or not to the master plan. I enjoyed it very much.
Victor Orozco
Sep 10, 2016 Victor Orozco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good story. Continuing from where the last novel left off is the calling upon Lt.Gen. Ulysses S. Grant to save the day. From here on in Newt Gingrich expands on what might have happened if the Confederacy had won what was originally the Union victory at Gettysburg.

The Confederate victory at Union Mills grants the Army of Northern Virginia the confidence to attack Washington, D.C. The battle for Washington was very good but the author paints a realistic picture in that the defenses of the ca
Sarah Crawford
Feb 02, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in this alternative history series for the Civil War. In the first book, Lee used different tactics at Gettysburg, and was able to get a major win. In this book, at attack on Washington D.C. fails, forcing Lee to change plans. His army manages to take Baltimore, and then has to fight a Union army under Sickles.

This is an incredibly good book, showing the horror of war, sparing nothing in describing the injuries happening both to humans and to animals. It also takes a goo
Dwight
Feb 04, 2010 Dwight rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dwight by: Katyknoll
1. This book has the narrowest bottom margin of any book I have read. On some pages it is even less than a single line. The good thing is the ink is of high enough quality to not have to worry about the lack of a clean place to place your thumbs.

2. I was a little worried at first about reading alternative historic fiction, but that didn't turn out to be a problem. Quite a bit of what I know about history comes from well written historical fiction, so I can imagine myself thinking of some of thes
Jim
Jun 16, 2008 Jim rated it really liked it
Part 2 of the trilogy. A lot more politics and discussions in this story compared to the first. Far less action, although there are some important battles.

The Army of the Potomac is decimated at the end of the first book. Lincoln brings Grant in from the western front, to take total control of the army and reorganize after the decisive defeats in Pennsylvania. But, Grant has enemies in Washington and in the Union Army.

Meanwhile Lee, after his devastating victory, is pressed by Jefferson Davis t
CV Rick
Oct 18, 2009 CV Rick rated it liked it
Shelves: mainstream, history
A Continuation of Gettysburg, this novel delves into the politics and intrigue on both sides of the war. Grant has enemies, Lee has pressures, and this seemingly outweighs the events on the fields of battle.

I think it was competently written, but even more so than the first, this book drops into the stereotypes of valorous soldiers and altruistic generals. The horrors of war are but asides to the glamour of the cause - written by those who have experienced neither. It's a fan-boy piece about th
Ron Murphy
Aug 16, 2012 Ron Murphy rated it really liked it
Again, a great "what if" book that can totally confuse you about the real outcome of the Civil War..actually causes me to read further about the actual Civil War..This one basically has Washington isolated and hunkered down, about to be under siege by Lee and the Confederate army. Grant has come with his "Western" Union forces from Mississippi to take over the Union Army and the all but destroyed Army of the Potomac..The "result" is in the last book of this series, " Never Call Retreat: Lee and ...more
BJ Rose
Mar 15, 2009 BJ Rose rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, history-usa
Mike Rogers
Feb 13, 2016 Mike Rogers rated it really liked it
A major reason I appreciated this book is because it features Ulysses S. Grant, someone I've always been fascinated with. Even without that, this book is an excellent sequel to "Gettysburg". It has less action, but the drama of the campaign makes for good reading. It also brings more of a political element than the first book in the series and openly discusses the fact that slavery was the cause of the war (something that is often ignored in books like these).
Jefferson Coombs
Aug 23, 2016 Jefferson Coombs rated it liked it
This series was interesting. I thought the first book was the best, although I will give them all three stars since I can't do halves. The first book follows a widely held belief that the South could have won a battle in Southern Pennsylvania if they had chosen different ground. I do not agree with their conclusion that the War would actually have ended sooner with a Confederate victory in Southern Pennsylvania.
Ted
Jan 24, 2014 Ted rated it it was amazing
Maybe it is because I hold Grant is such high esteem - He was clearly one of the greatest American Generals - but I could not put it down. I am not much for fiction and would never have bought this. Since it were given me, after it sat around two years I broke down and got started. It was a pleasant surprise. Newt is brilliant. The scenario was entirely believable, and in complete keeping with his character.
Geoffrey Hazelton
If you are a Civil War history buff this a "must". This book is part of a trilogy of Civil War fiction that will very realistically take you on to the battle fields and into the personalities and minds of the important people of the period. The locations of where the battles take place is also fictional so this does , in my opinion, take something away from the book. The trilogy takes a "what if" look at what if the South had won at Gettysberg.
Janet
Jan 23, 2009 Janet rated it really liked it
Even if you are not interested in Civil War stories this series of three books will give you a clear sense of what it was like to live in that time period. It's our history, our ancestor's daily trials, losses; the agonizing decisions that would not only affect families but the future of our nation. Great read.
John
Jan 20, 2016 John rated it liked it
Not as likable as the first book in the series, mainly because the action is too slow. The authors do a good job explaining why it takes so long for things to get going, but it does not make for interesting reading. However, I do appreciate be very careful characterization of General Grant, who is taciturn at likable at the same time.
Burt
Mar 21, 2009 Burt rated it it was amazing
Second book of the trilogy. Gingerich and Forstchen continue their insightful application of the characters to the fictional shift in direction of the American Civil War. Although the plausibility of some of the action begins to stretch a bit, it is still an easy and fun read. After reading this, you should feel compelled to read the third and final book, "Never Call Retreat."
mindbringer
Jan 03, 2015 mindbringer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great sequel true to the spirit of the Civil War.

The alternative history which is the subject of this trilogy is entirely believable and written very well, containing obvious expertise on all facets of the war! Highly recommend whole trilogy to all Civil War buffs.
Trevor O'Keefe
Oct 05, 2015 Trevor O'Keefe rated it really liked it
Pretty good! As with all alternate history you have to question whether or not the characters would have made the decisions that the author assumes; but a very entertaining read from a very tumultuous point in our history.
Beth A
Jul 29, 2011 Beth A rated it really liked it
I've always enjoyed historical fiction, however I am not a history buff. Hence, I find it difficult to recall which pieces are the "alternate" view of history. Nonetheless, these are well written, rich stories.
J.T. Kalnay
Aug 09, 2012 J.T. Kalnay rated it it was amazing
The second book in the series. We meet Grant, and we follow Grant as he tries to figure out Lee. Grant has all the advantages of the industrial North, and he exhibits all his historic ruthlessness, even to those closest to him. A really good book.
Jan 07, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing
Excellent alternative history of American Civil War. Realistic battle scenes. Highly recommended series.
Rick
Oct 22, 2014 Rick rated it really liked it
This was a very good book. I do like alternate history books. This was well done and along with the prior book provides a sound alternative to what happened during the Civil War.
Linda
May 06, 2011 Linda added it
excellent narrative (novel) of US Grant and Gen Lee around Baltimore and Washington DC during mid Civil War
Mike (the Paladin)
William
May 25, 2009 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My brother gave me this.It's probably something I wouldn't choose myself, but I'm quite interested in it and half way through. Probably my rating is 4 or 5 stars at this point.
  • 1862
  • Look Away (U.S. Civil War, #1)
  • Gone for Soldiers: A Novel of the Mexican War
  • All for the Union: The Civil War Diary & Letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes
  • Play for a Kingdom
  • The Journal of Rufus Rowe, A Witness to the Battle of Fredericksburg (My Name Is America)
  • If the South Had Won the Civil War
  • General James Longstreet: The Confederacy's Most Controversial Soldier
  • Cain at Gettysburg
  • The Man with the Iron Heart
  • Call Each River Jordan (Abel Jones, #3)
  • Southern Storm: Sherman's March to the Sea
  • Fox on the Rhine (Fox on the Rhine, #1)
Newt Gingrich is well-known as the architect of the “Contract with America” that led the Republican Party to victory in 1994 by capturing the majority in the U.S. House of Representatives for the first time in forty years. After he was elected Speaker, he disrupted the status quo by moving power out of Washington and back to the American people. Under his leadership, Congress passed welfare ...more
More about Newt Gingrich...

Gettysburg (3 books)
  • Gettysburg (Gettysburg, #1)
  • Never Call Retreat: Lee and Grant: The Final Victory (Gettysburg, #3)