Start by marking “What Boys Like: and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
What Boys Like: and Other Stories

What Boys Like: and Other Stories

What Boys Like brings together a motley assemblage of urban misfits and outsiders, and explores their love/hate relationships with their city and one another. Jones’s characters grapple with lust, love and loss with an unsentimental eye, while remaining open to the sharp-edged humour caused by the chaotic and random nature of life, and the absurdity of the world around the ...more
Published October 15th 2009 by Biblioasis (first published September 28th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about What Boys Like, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Boys Like

Daniel Perry
Oct 11, 2016 Daniel Perry rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with the title story a good five years ago in Best Canadian Stories, and was happy to find so many more great stories once I finally got around to reading this debut collection. There's a beautiful brokenness in so many of these characters, and the stories are written in an idiosyncratic but still highly accessible and efficient language, lingering in moments without ever overwriting. Very much looking forward to the author's first novel, just released this year.
A compelling collection of short stories from Amy Jones! I feel like I would have rated this one higher had I not read her other book, We're All In This Together, first. Frankly, WAITT is pretty much the perfect book and has given me unrealistic expectations for fiction.
Alexis
Jan 05, 2011 Alexis rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
What a fantastic collection of short stories! I loved the characters, the details and the settings. It was nice to read short stories that had direct connections to Halifax, even though I have no knowledge of the city.

The author and I are the same age, and I loved all the pop culture references and details, because they were ones that I recognized and could relate to.

Some of the images in the short stories were quite haunting and disturbing- there were two images in the last two stories that stu
Samantha
Dec 22, 2013 Samantha rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, cohesive collection with several stories that will stick with me. They cover the gamut - birth, courtship, marriage, death - and get progressively more mature as the book goes on, ranging from "How to Survive a Summer in the City" with 11-year-old Marie to the tragic death of Marty Peach in "The Church of the Latter-Day Peaches." I'm biased, but I think Canadian women are some of the world's most stellar short story writers and I was excited to find this one.
Rachel Laverdiere
Oct 27, 2016 Rachel Laverdiere rated it really liked it
This is a strong first collection of short stories. I love the diverse characters, attention to detail. I also appreciated the references to 90s pop culture--having grown up in the same era, this really resonated with me. I did feel, however, that some of the weaker stories could have been left out. Overall, this was a very satisfying read.
Calista
Feb 06, 2011 Calista rated it really liked it
Do not read this book if you're feeling sad, because this is a book of short stories about all things sad: heartbreak, death, love, sex, abortion, growing apart, sickness...It's really sad.
Just to be clear, it's sad.
But I really enjoyed it...after I decided to finish reading it when I wasn't so sad.
Biblioasis
Biblioasis rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Drekington
Drekington rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2012
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2010
Erin Jones
Erin Jones rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2013
Ayelet
Ayelet rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2011
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2011
Rebecca Rosenblum
Rebecca Rosenblum rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2009
Francesca Hoy
Francesca Hoy rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2012
Leah Mol
Leah Mol rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2013
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2009
Frosty Duncan
Frosty Duncan rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2012
Joanna
Joanna rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2014
Carole Parker
Carole Parker rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2016
Sue Pretty
Jan 28, 2016 Sue Pretty rated it it was amazing
Each story was like a rich and decadent truffle!
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2017
Meghan
Meghan rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2012
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2009
A.J.
A.J. added it
Nov 14, 2009
Jeff Stautz
Jeff Stautz marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2010
Lisa
Lisa added it
Oct 27, 2010
Whiskeyb
Whiskeyb marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2010
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2010
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2011
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2011
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2011
Johanna
Johanna marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2011
Michelle Bilinski
Michelle Bilinski marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2012
Muffe_muffe
Muffe_muffe marked it as to-read
May 21, 2013
Caley Baker
Caley Baker marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2013
Doretta Lau
Doretta Lau marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Christopher Meades
Christopher Meades marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Nessy
Nessy marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Lolly K Dandeneau
Lolly K Dandeneau marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Andrea MacPherson
Andrea MacPherson marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
AMY JONES won the 2006 CBC Literary Prize for Short Fiction and was a finalist for the 2005 Bronwen Wallace Award. She is a graduate of the Optional Residency MFA Program in Creative Writing at UBC, and her fiction has appeared in Best Canadian Stories and The Journey Prize Stories. Her debut collection of stories, What Boys Like, was the winner of the 2008 Metcalf-Rooke Award and a finalist for t ...more
More about Amy Jones...