Start by marking “Bachelor Kisses” as Want to Read:
Bachelor Kisses

Nick Earls

Bachelor Kisses

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  468 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Jon, Rick and Jen are in their mid-twenties and share a house in Brisbane. Together they share food rituals, sporadic cocktail nights and the quest for love. Rick seems destined to long, lonely nights beneath his Porky Pig doona. Jen consumes men like chocolate bars. And Jon gets lucky in a way he's never expected - more women than he knows how to handle. A young doctor wi ...more
Published (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Bachelor Kisses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bachelor Kisses

Haley
Light and fun. Good read. A lot of sex scenes... and the jam. Oh my god, the jam! (If you've read it you know what I mean).

To be honest I didn't enjoy it as much as some of Nick Earls' other novels and I think it was only cause one of the characters in this book I really didn't like. Up until she came along I was enjoying the book just fine.
Imogen
Very very funny. The jam scene. Well. The jam scene. Nothing more can be said. (Don't read if you don't like sex scenes. And, um, jam.)
Sally
I audio-read Nick Earls' Bachelor Kisses over a couple of weeks of walks with the dogs. Briefly, the story follows the 1980s activities of Jon, a young medic, as he deals with his odd housemates (Jen, who has men coming out her ears, and Rick, who would love to have women coming out his ears but whose tie collection and Porky Pig doona cover doom him to lonely nights), his attraction to the (female) nurse of the species, various patients, other doctors, Monte Carlo biscuits and a growing fascina ...more
Tara Anderton
Nick Earls is a master at what he does!
Bachelor Kisses is the funniest book I have read in a long time. There where so many laugh out loud moments that I don't even know if I can tell you what my favourite part is.... I can't really pin it on any one thing because the whole book is a fabulous/hilarious and a very entertaining comedy that I couldn't put it down.
The penis in the Jam jar scenario had me in absolute stitches as did Jonnathan's whole witty and very outlandish behaviour. The way Nick
Ian Mapp
God how I hated this book. Finally through it to the floor in a fit of drunken belligerance.

This is supposed to be a humourous book but it is absolutely so unfunny that you cannot believe it. Unless you think that blow jobs and swallowing are funny - which they might have been in the 80s.

The story - for what it is - concerns a successful and good looking med student, his less successful in love friend and their nymphomaniac lady house guest.

The student gets his oats a lot.... tries to write a th
Matt Hort
The mad life of a young doctor. Absolutely hilarious. Perfectly captures the ridiculous situations that a not yet mature, however responsibility is looming teenager finds themselves in. I was reading this book on a bus and literally had to stop reading as I couldn't control my guffaws and hysterical giggling. I identified with the main character (Jon) and as I'd studied Human Movement at Uni had a basic understanding of his serious pursuits. Have subsequently realised that this is very much from ...more
Evelyn
This wasn't my favourite Nick Earls book. It didn't make me laugh the way World of Chickens and 48 Shades of Brown did and I found it harder to relate to the characters in this one. I'm sure you're supposed to want to slap the main character early on in the story, and I really, really did. Despite this I found it a fun read and easy to get into.

I listened to the audiobook version, and being a Brisbanite it amused me when the the reader kept mispronouncing place names (Toowong and Auchenflower).
Tracy
A laugh out loud funny read.
Read the full www.ourbookclub.net.au review at Bachelor Kisses
Brett
One of my favorite books. It literally had me laughing out loud. Great story, well written, hilarious, what more could you want?
Sylvia
Mar 14, 2008 Sylvia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a laugh
Nick E writes very entertaining angst ridden characters that help you escape from your own life for a while.
Lisa
This was very funny.
Lisa
Not sure what to make of this book. Was it supposed to be funny? Might have to try one of his other books before i make up my mind!
Robyn Matthews
Loved it, funny, well written, excellent characters with depth. Might be difficult for someone without a health professional background
Dimity Powell
Not as engrossing as some of his later reads for me and I felt as lost and confused Jon Marshall about half way through, but Earls' skill at story telling is like listening to an old friend spin an entertaining yarn in front of you so was a pleasure to read over all. Earls is a master of wry wit and observational humour providing plenty of laugh out loud moments which sometimes mirrors but not exactly, his own early pre-author days. Wish I had Jon Marshall's car - so need somewhere to play my ol ...more
Gen
Funny, light-hearted read revolving around the life of a young doctor.
Melanie
Bachelor Kisses followes Jon, a medical resident and his hijinks with women and work. All in all, this book was dull, the dialogue between characters is written in italics, which at times can be a bit hard to read. It has it's good bits, but I really did struggle to motivate myself to pick it up and read.
Julia
Not being from a medical background I got lost a lot, I also thought the fixation with blow jobs was over the top. A book that would suit men over women maybe. There was some comical sexual acts and I had a bit of a laugh, but it was too on the crude side for me to like this book.
Iliotropio
Nov 04, 2013 Iliotropio marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Andrew Webster
Definitely enjoyed this more because I'm currently a Psych Resident... just like to protagonist. That's where the similarities end.
Nicole Hinton
Wonderful...
Laughed out loud a number of times. Now onto Zig Zag Street!
Tiffany Ware
I sees him at toowong village coles.
Cathy
Loved the hospital stuff
Ingrid
Ugh what a waste of my time.
Ella
Ella is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2015
jaegrr
jaegrr marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
  • Shiver
  • Affluenza: When Too Much is Never Enough
  • They're Made Out of Meat
  • The Monkey's Mask
  • A Little Bush Maid (Billabong, #1)
Nick Earls is the author of twelve books, including bestselling novels such as Zigzag Street, Bachelor Kisses, Perfect Skin and World of Chickens. His work has been published internationally in English and also in translation, and this led to him being a finalist in the Premier of Queensland’s Awards for Export Achievement in 1999.

Zigzag Street won a Betty Trask Award in the UK in 1998, and is cur
More about Nick Earls...
48 Shades of Brown Joel and Cat Set the Story Straight Zigzag Street Perfect Skin Headgames