Start by marking “Bachelor Kisses” as Want to Read:
Bachelor Kisses

Nick Earls

Bachelor Kisses

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  553 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Jon, Rick and Jen are in their mid-twenties and share a house in Brisbane. Together they share food rituals, sporadic cocktail nights and the quest for love. Rick seems destined to long, lonely nights beneath his Porky Pig doona. Jen consumes men like chocolate bars. And Jon gets lucky in a way he's never expected - more women than he knows how to handle. A young doctor wi ...more
Published (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Bachelor Kisses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bachelor Kisses

Ian Mapp
Nov 07, 2012 Ian Mapp rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
God how I hated this book. Finally through it to the floor in a fit of drunken belligerance.

This is supposed to be a humourous book but it is absolutely so unfunny that you cannot believe it. Unless you think that blow jobs and swallowing are funny - which they might have been in the 80s.

The story - for what it is - concerns a successful and good looking med student, his less successful in love friend and their nymphomaniac lady house guest.

The student gets his oats a lot.... tries to write a th
Haley
Jul 10, 2011 Haley rated it liked it
Light and fun. Good read. A lot of sex scenes... and the jam. Oh my god, the jam! (If you've read it you know what I mean).

To be honest I didn't enjoy it as much as some of Nick Earls' other novels and I think it was only cause one of the characters in this book I really didn't like. Up until she came along I was enjoying the book just fine.
Imogen
May 05, 2009 Imogen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very very funny. The jam scene. Well. The jam scene. Nothing more can be said. (Don't read if you don't like sex scenes. And, um, jam.)
Sally
Mar 07, 2012 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I audio-read Nick Earls' Bachelor Kisses over a couple of weeks of walks with the dogs. Briefly, the story follows the 1980s activities of Jon, a young medic, as he deals with his odd housemates (Jen, who has men coming out her ears, and Rick, who would love to have women coming out his ears but whose tie collection and Porky Pig doona cover doom him to lonely nights), his attraction to the (female) nurse of the species, various patients, other doctors, Monte Carlo biscuits and a growing fascina ...more
Tara Anderton
Feb 18, 2013 Tara Anderton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nick Earls is a master at what he does!
Bachelor Kisses is the funniest book I have read in a long time. There where so many laugh out loud moments that I don't even know if I can tell you what my favourite part is.... I can't really pin it on any one thing because the whole book is a fabulous/hilarious and a very entertaining comedy that I couldn't put it down.
The penis in the Jam jar scenario had me in absolute stitches as did Jonnathan's whole witty and very outlandish behaviour. The way Nick
Matt Hort
Oct 10, 2011 Matt Hort rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The mad life of a young doctor. Absolutely hilarious. Perfectly captures the ridiculous situations that a not yet mature, however responsibility is looming teenager finds themselves in. I was reading this book on a bus and literally had to stop reading as I couldn't control my guffaws and hysterical giggling. I identified with the main character (Jon) and as I'd studied Human Movement at Uni had a basic understanding of his serious pursuits. Have subsequently realised that this is very much from ...more
Evelyn
This wasn't my favourite Nick Earls book. It didn't make me laugh the way World of Chickens and 48 Shades of Brown did and I found it harder to relate to the characters in this one. I'm sure you're supposed to want to slap the main character early on in the story, and I really, really did. Despite this I found it a fun read and easy to get into.

I listened to the audiobook version, and being a Brisbanite it amused me when the the reader kept mispronouncing place names (Toowong and Auchenflower).
Tracy
Apr 02, 2011 Tracy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A laugh out loud funny read.
Read the full www.ourbookclub.net.au review at Bachelor Kisses
Lisa
Apr 20, 2014 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not sure what to make of this book. Was it supposed to be funny? Might have to try one of his other books before i make up my mind!
Brett
Oct 22, 2007 Brett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books. It literally had me laughing out loud. Great story, well written, hilarious, what more could you want?
Sylvia
Mar 14, 2008 Sylvia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a laugh
Nick E writes very entertaining angst ridden characters that help you escape from your own life for a while.
Lisa
May 04, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very funny.
Anna
Nov 09, 2007 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-recommend, fiction
Funny!
Myles Arber
Took me months to actually get into this book then it finally grabbed me and it ended... First three quarters of the book were boring with some humor thrown in... Last quarter was enjoyable.
Karen Wickham
I found this book completely average. There didn't seem to be much of a plot to it. Nothing to take the interest of the reader early on. It was just a meander through the daily life of a junior doctor, taking in some medical mishaps, relationship issues, and fairly boring information about research into depression along the way.
This is mean to be laugh out loud funny. There were some funny moments, but not enough for me to recommend this to anyone.
Robyn Matthews
Jan 11, 2015 Robyn Matthews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Loved it, funny, well written, excellent characters with depth. Might be difficult for someone without a health professional background
Dimity Powell
Not as engrossing as some of his later reads for me and I felt as lost and confused Jon Marshall about half way through, but Earls' skill at story telling is like listening to an old friend spin an entertaining yarn in front of you so was a pleasure to read over all. Earls is a master of wry wit and observational humour providing plenty of laugh out loud moments which sometimes mirrors but not exactly, his own early pre-author days. Wish I had Jon Marshall's car - so need somewhere to play my ol ...more
Melanie
Mar 16, 2012 Melanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bachelor Kisses followes Jon, a medical resident and his hijinks with women and work. All in all, this book was dull, the dialogue between characters is written in italics, which at times can be a bit hard to read. It has it's good bits, but I really did struggle to motivate myself to pick it up and read.
Julia
Feb 16, 2013 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not being from a medical background I got lost a lot, I also thought the fixation with blow jobs was over the top. A book that would suit men over women maybe. There was some comical sexual acts and I had a bit of a laugh, but it was too on the crude side for me to like this book.
Iliotropio
Nov 04, 2013 Iliotropio marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Andrew Webster
Definitely enjoyed this more because I'm currently a Psych Resident... just like to protagonist. That's where the similarities end.
Gen
Feb 02, 2015 Gen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, light-hearted read revolving around the life of a young doctor.
Nicole Hinton
Apr 11, 2013 Nicole Hinton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful...
Laughed out loud a number of times. Now onto Zig Zag Street!
Tiffany Ware
I sees him at toowong village coles.
Cathy
Feb 05, 2013 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australian, hospitals
Loved the hospital stuff
Ingrid
Aug 05, 2013 Ingrid rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Ugh what a waste of my time.
Nicholas Parsons
Nov 26, 2013 Nicholas Parsons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A funny book.
George
George rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Alison Gibbon
Alison Gibbon marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
  • The Submerged Cathedral
  • Last Drinks
  • Girls' Night In
  • For Love Alone
  • The Family at Misrule (Woolcots, #2)
  • Revelations
  • 10 Short Stories You Must Read in 2011
  • The Rose Grower
  • Maurice Guest
  • A Little Bush Maid (Billabong, #1)
  • Shiver
  • Summer of the Seventeenth Doll
  • The Monkey's Mask
Nick Earls is the author of twelve books, including bestselling novels such as Zigzag Street, Bachelor Kisses, Perfect Skin and World of Chickens. His work has been published internationally in English and also in translation, and this led to him being a finalist in the Premier of Queensland’s Awards for Export Achievement in 1999.

Zigzag Street won a Betty Trask Award in the UK in 1998, and is cur