Start by marking “Last Known Address” as Want to Read:
Last Known Address

Last Known Address

Detective Sloane Pearson is new to the Sex Crimes Division but no stranger to being treated like an incompetent blonde by her hardened male co-workers. She’s also no stranger to hard-to-crack cases, and her latest is as tough as they come: A rapist is on the prowl, dragging women to deserted building sites or vacant apartment buildings peppered all over downtown Chicago, a ...more
Published July 7th 2009 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Last Known Address, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Known Address

The Eyre Affair by Jasper FfordeLock and Key by Sarah DessenThe Key to Rebecca by Ken FollettIncarceron by Catherine FisherThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Lock and Key
85th out of 109 books — 37 voters
Tell Us We're Home by Marina BudhosThe Ex by Alafair BurkeThree Bedrooms In Chelsea by Liz IrelandA Manual for Cleaning Women by Lucia BerlinSplit by Swati Avasthi
Yale Keys
8th out of 9 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Michael
Aug 10, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Woman's right's fans, strong female character fans
Recommended to Michael by: Enjoy the author's work
Det. Sloan Pearson is new in the Chicago Sex Crimes Unit and has to put up with sexual harassmnet from the members of her department. Says one "I'll bet she got a hot wax." When she was returning late after visiting her father in the hospital.
Since her mother's slow decline and death to cancer, when Sloan was a school girl, it's just been her and her dad. Now she feels useless as her father's weak heart needs care but he seems to have given up and placed himeslf in the hands of a flighty girlfri
Annika
May 02, 2010 Annika rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Did not finish. Pick a POV, pick an angle, pick a character, stick with it. At least Jodi Picoult has the decency to ask her publisher to switch up fonts so we know who is talking and when.
Denise
Jun 09, 2010 Denise rated it it was ok
2.0 out of 5 stars Lame and uninspired, May 8, 2009

This review is from: Last Known Address (Hardcover)

I recommend you skip this book if you're looking for a good, fast paced read. I struggled to get through the novel and was only mildly interested in its outcome -- forced myself to read the last couple of chapters as I was bored about halfway through.

The characters are stiff and stereotypical -- I neither wanted to get to know them better nor did I like any of them. Detective Pearson was a card
Cheryl
Jun 25, 2009 Cheryl rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Holly Dutcher was out partying with some friends. Holly was walking home when out of nowhere a man attacked her. He drags her to an abandon building and rapes her.

Detective Sloane Pearson works for the Sex Crimes Division. When she arrives at the victim’s residence, she instantly recognizes Holly. Holly is a realtor agent, who showed Sloane some places. The problem is that Sloane doesn’t want Holly to acknowledge that they are familiar with each other. This is because she wants to leave her lov
J
Mar 29, 2016 J rated it liked it
Remember, one man's bookflap summary is another man's spoiler.

The female Chicago police detective depicted is as hardcore, crude, street-tough as any male officer. I guess that's a good thing.

The author succeeded in throwing up several decoy suspects for the rape cases that the detective is investigating. This, also, is a good thing.

I enjoyed Schwegel's descriptions of specific Chicago neighborhoods, and the way she uses specific Chicago street names to detail the heroine's progress, or to demar
Tim
Sep 12, 2014 Tim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction, crime, miss
This was not at all what I expected.
I expected a fairly gritty police procedural with a strong female as the main character.
What I got was a book that limped through several weak and unconvincing scenarios with a lead character who was poorly portrayed and under developed. It seemed a little odd for the author to set out to write a book featuring a detective in the sex crimes department when she gives every indication of being afraid to approach the subject.
Sharon
May 10, 2009 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite genres is the police procedural. In "Last Known Address," we have police detective Sloane Pearson investigating serial rapes around Chicago whilst dealing with the chauvinistic, oftentimes sexually harassing, behavior, of her fellow officers.

The plotline and characters are well-developed, but the novel was marred for me by confusing shifts in perspective. We have first-person present from a rape victim who is *never* identified in the book, a few instances of second-person pre
April
Apr 08, 2014 April rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
no, I didn't speed read this, I just forgot to log it in when I started. lol in fact, this book dragged on for forever. if I could rate half a star I would. there were a couple chuckles in the last chapter or two, but I definitely won't be running out to grab any more schwegel novels :(
Fredrick Danysh
A serial rapist is loose in the city. Detective Sloane Pearson is trying to catch him before he can strike again. At the same time she is dealing with personal issues both at work and at home. It is a little difficult at times to tell which character is narrating the story.
Coleen Mcconnell
May 25, 2016 Coleen Mcconnell rated it it was ok
I could not finish this book, between the non existent plot and the foul language, I just gave up. I don't talk using the F word, I don't have to read it. Not sure why it was necessary.
Elaine
Jul 01, 2016 Elaine rated it liked it
I really want to give this 2.5 stars; I'm being generous here with 3. Much of the story has more to do with Sloane's and other's lives than it has to do with the case.
Ann
Aug 25, 2013 Ann rated it liked it
Sloane Pearson is a new detective in Chicago's Sex Crimes Division. She gets teased because she is the first woman in the department but she takes her job seriously. There is a serial rapist loose in the city and she is looking for the culprit but it seems that everyone else in the department are trying to slow the investigation down. She has a lot to deal with besides her job - she is in the process of breaking up with her boyfriend, her father is having health problems that require her help an ...more
Melissa Clarke
Oct 09, 2014 Melissa Clarke rated it did not like it
Very difficult to finish. A bit of a nothing story.
Chris
Jul 28, 2009 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Detective Sloane Pearson is a well-rounded female detective and the Chicago setting is prevalent throughout the story. The plot of a potential serial rapist is mixed with a storyline about the detective's ailing father and her relationship with another cop. But Sloane is never happy, the writing style (fragmented with jarring changes in point-of-view) is cold and disjointed and the ending is unresolved, though I confess to skimming through a large chunk of the middle of the book and reading the ...more
Debbie Maskus
Aug 16, 2009 Debbie Maskus rated it did not like it
This book is lousy, I only read to chapter 11, and could go no further. I have read the three previous books by Theresa Schwegel, and enjoyed all three. The story is set in Chicago, which I like, with a female detective, Sloane Pearson. In this novel, a serial rapist is terrorizing Chicago's females. Schwegel misses with the setting and the characters, and the plot is questionable. A waste of 10 chapters, that I read in hopes of the story improving. The tone of the book is lacking.
Mary Taitt
Sep 04, 2009 Mary Taitt rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
Serial Rape. Detective Sloane Pearson investigates a series of rapes in Chicago against overwhelming odds, Everything that could go wrong does, in her work and personal life. At first, no one is killed. Then, a murder. Might she be the next victim? This is a page turner, but the main character is not very likable. By the time the book ends, you see why she is the way she is--but--that doesn't make you like her much more. Still was a reasonably good read. Npt my favorite kind of book.
Gina
Oct 04, 2013 Gina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if I appreciated this book at all. I didn't resonate with the writing style, the jargons, the dialogues, the characters. Though I can safely say I saw where the story was heading 20% through the book and wanted to just put it aside for good. But I hate to read books halfway; it's not my style. So I made coffee and tried to finish reading in one seating, cringing at times. And I made it. Now I can put it aside for good. This is one book written for the men audience.
Dalene
Dec 23, 2013 Dalene rated it did not like it
I intentionally sought out this author because a friend had said she had a unique style. Well, my time for reading is limited, so I don't waste my precious reading time on books that are poorly written, go nowhere in the first third of the book, and have a dialogue that is stiff, artificial and superficial. Little or no character development detectable. I've read better in mass paperbacks.
Andrew Carter
Feb 02, 2016 Andrew Carter rated it it was ok
The writing style was not my favorite. Story OK but with different ending.
Carrie
Jun 21, 2011 Carrie rated it it was ok
Was looking for a good trashy summer/lakeside detective read, and her previous book won an award and excellent reviews from the likes of the snooty New York Times. The writing isn't awful for the genre, the female lead is somewhat interesting and somewhat likeable, but the actual story/plot is weak, and the end is utterly disappointing.
Jim
Dec 01, 2009 Jim rated it liked it
Not as good as some of Schwegel's other works, but I did enjoy it. The strengths of the book lie in the protagonist, who is a compelling character, and in her struggles against sexism and harrassment from her male peers.
Steve
Aug 07, 2009 Steve rated it did not like it
The other Schwegel books were entertaining. This one just did nothing for me. The plot was confusing and the characters were poorly developed. Hopefully the author will put more effort into her next book.
Furtadobb
Sep 07, 2011 Furtadobb rated it it was ok
The plot is slow, although unpredictable. The only thing I liked about the book is the writing-style. At times, really enjoyable. But, it did take some time to finish this one.
Pam
Aug 26, 2010 Pam rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one.
Didn't like it. Couldn't get involved with the characters and I think this is due to writer's style. Still couldn't tell you which year / years this was based in.
Jim
Nov 27, 2009 Jim rated it it was ok
First book I've read by Theresa Schwegel. I'll likely read another. I liked the Chicago locations, and I liked how she ended the book. But it was just OK.
Lynn Kearney
Aug 09, 2009 Lynn Kearney rated it liked it
Should have been better than it was. My attention kept wandering - maybe that says more about me than about the book!
Bonnie
Aug 22, 2013 Bonnie rated it really liked it
This was the 2nd book that I've read by Theresa Schwegel - almost as good as the first.
Lora
Dec 15, 2013 Lora rated it it was amazing
As usual, a two day read. Cant put her books down.
Maryann
Nov 05, 2009 Maryann rated it liked it
A little void of emotion, but i did enjoy
Carrie
Carrie rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
  • Saint Overboard
  • A Circle of Souls
  • The Dead Side of the Mike (Charles Paris, #6)
  • Pay Off
  • Time Of Death (Ren Bryce, #2)
  • The Wyndham Case (Imogen Quy, #1)
  • No Justice (Michael Sykora #1)
  • Trigger City (Ray Dudgeon, #2)
  • Wacko Hacko
  • The Stolen (Henry Parker, #3)
  • The Light of Day
  • The Messenger
  • Breach Of Trust (Jason Kolarich, #2)
  • Hardly Knew Her: Stories
  • Chicago: City on the Make
  • The Murder Notebook (Nate Rodriguez, #2)
  • Face Down Beneath the Eleanor Cross (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #4)
  • Into the Fire
Theresa Schwegel was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois. She is the author of four crime novels set in and around the Chicago area. Her debut, Officer Down, was published in 2005, and subsequently won the Edgar Award for Best First Novel. In 2008, she received the 21st Century Award from the Chicago Public Library Foundation in recognition for an emerging artist with ties to Chicago. Her fifth n ...more
More about Theresa Schwegel...