Knitwear Design Workshop: A Comprehensive Guide to Handknits

Knitwear Design Workshop: A Comprehensive Guide to Handknits

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  17 reviews
From the initial spark of inspiration to the sewing of the last seam, this advanced manual to knitwear design provides knitters with the foundation to take their projects to the next level. The four exceptional projects demonstrate the level of uniqueness and beauty that can be achieved with these expert techniques and how to achieve the elusive “perfect fit” that defines...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Interweave Press (first published 2009)

Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth ZimmermannStitch 'n Bitch by Debbie StollerKnitting Without Tears by Elizabeth ZimmermannYarn Harlot by Stephanie Pearl-McPheeAt Knit's End by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Knitting Nonfiction
27th out of 57 books — 63 voters
Stitch 'n Bitch by Debbie StollerKnitting Without Tears by Elizabeth ZimmermannElizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth ZimmermannThe Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns by Ann BuddThe Knitting Answer Book by Margaret Radcliffe
Must-have Knitting Books
109th out of 129 books — 121 voters

More lists with this book...

notgettingenough
I bought this book for the patterns. It turns out this is a bit like saying you bought The Diary of Ann Frank for the sex.

WELL I DIDN'T KNOW!!!

It's a knitting book. It is not entirely unreasonable to expect it to have knitting patterns in it.

Not only that, it is full of calculus and difficult maths and quantum physics, as is all the rage at the moment.

And if you think that's funny, really, it isn't.

The modern interest in math and craft began in 1997 when Taimina devised a plan for crocheting a
So, I Read This Book Today
First, this is NOT just a pattern book. Think of it more as an upper level course in The Math of Knitting. OH! NO! I said the “M” word!!!!

Like a lot of people, I grew up being told that “Girls Don’t Do Math”. Yes, it is stupid, unconscionable and deadly to the female psyche, but growing up where I did, it is just the way it was. Of course, later, I got a math degree just to prove “Them” wrong. :-)

“Knitwear Design Workshop” should be used as a math class in school. Ms. Paden takes the math of des...more
Kathy
Wow, I love math and this book finally confirms that hey,,, I knew what I was doing all these years. And for the newbie, this walks you through how to design and write your own patterns, or adjust patterns to new gauges for different yarns. Wonderful. And the on-line additions with charts to print out and fill in are also great.
Alysia
Full of great technical knowledge. This reference book should be owned and read by any knitter who wants well fitting and professional looking hand knits.
Paula
A fabulous book for any knitter seeking to design, knit and fit knitted garments. This is a an excellent resource for any knitter who desires to go beyond simple knitting patterns. I have been knitting for 48 years, designing my own patterns for many of those years and this book elevated my design and fit knowledge appreciably. I recommend this book to any knitter who wants to design and knit well fitted garments.

Shirley Paden's journey from computer programmer to knitwear designer is an inspira...more
Ciaobella
There are many books out there on knitwear design, and many that attempt to cram it into just one book. This one does a superb job of summarizing the important points and then gives you the tools to document your knitted process.

The spiral bound format makes it a good reference, the worksheets walk you through many concepts and the section on collars and sleeves stand out from the crowd. If you enjoy knitting in the round or modular shaping, you'll want to work with other references.

The appendic...more
Marilyn
Incredibly detailed; lots of math. IF you want to be a designer of knit clothing and you can understand the concepts and math involved, THIS is the book for you. I'm not ready for this level yet.
Marnie
I give this a 3 out of 5 not because it's lacking anything or because it isn't well written or useful but because it's didn't really have much info that I didn't already have in other references. I'd happily recommend it to someone who loved knitting and wanted to begin to modify existing patterns for a better fit or create their own designs. The binding makes it really easy to read while you are knitting and she covers a huge array of topics in an accessible way.
Lil' Grogan
Perhaps because I've read other design books, it wasn't quite as revelatory for me. Liked her section on different collar styles. Nice layout and worksheets. Also like the spiral binding. Not sure if I will buy this one though. Just wasn't enough there for me to justify it.
Kylie
I borrowed this book from my local library to see if it was worth purchasing...it was! I love that it is spiral bound, a must when using a book as a text. It's going to take time to work through it, but I'm looking forward to it, and the knits that result from it.
Sheila
This looks like a really good guide to sweater design. My library wanted it back before I had time to check it out in detail. I'll definitely check it out again. Like when I get to the sleeves of the cardigan I'm currently designing :^)

Mollie *scoutrmom*
Apr 22, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: intermediate knitters
There is some wonderful information in this resource. I prefer garments that are designed in the round, these are flat pieces. The information on collar shaping belongs on any designer's keeper shelf.
Chris
A lot of information I've seen before, but some new information as well. Overall, a great resource for anyone who wants to design or adapt a knitting pattern.
Mindofwinter
This book is indispensable. It is a must-read for anyone who designs. There are other good books on the subject out there, but this is my favorite.
Cat von Hassel-Davies
I love this book. After taking a class with Jared Flood and Anne Hanson at the Loopy Spring Fling I am ready to tackle my first designed sweater.
Aileen Bernadette Urquhart
Really useful book. I was able to design and knit a top after reading it.
Mar 10, 2010 Jennifer marked it as to-read
Just pre-ordered this from Interweave.. can't wait to get it!
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Debbie
Debbie is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2014
April Nichols
April Nichols marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Laura Yona
Laura Yona marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Jen
Jen added it
Jun 23, 2014
Sunghee
Sunghee is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2014