Start by marking “Amy Unbounded: Belondweg Blossoming” as Want to Read:
Amy Unbounded: Belondweg Blossoming

Amy Unbounded: Belondweg Blossoming

4.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  96 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Amy Unbounded: Belondweg Blossoming collects issues 7-12 of Rachel Hartman's award-winning comic book, and includes an introduction by Linda Medley, a dramatis personae for new readers, and a few extra pages of silliness at the back.

Belondweg Blossoming follows the lives of Amy and her neighbor Bran Ducanahan the summer they turn ten. Amy has begun reading the national ep

Published April 1st 2002 by Pug House Pr

Jaylia3
Mar 13, 2015 Jaylia3 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Before she wrote Seraphina and the just released Shadow Scale, Rachel Hartman created comics set in the same rich and wonderfully elaborate world of humans and dragons. Amy Unbounded is a collection of stories 7 through 12 from that series, bound together to be like a graphic novel. Set some years before the events of Seraphina, these stories feature spunky 10-year-old Amy, a Goreddi combination of Anne of Green Gables and Harriet the Spy, as well as earlier versions of several of the characters ...more
Allen Garvin
Completely utterly charming graphic novel through the eyes of Amy, a young daughter of a weaver father (and barbarian (sort-of) mother!). It has its triumphs, and also some very sad moments, especially with her friend the dragon Lalo (who is in the form of a young human scholar)... just... just perfect! Recommended to everyone, if you can find a copy.
Jaclyn
Aug 01, 2012 Jaclyn rated it it was amazing
I'd been wanting to read Rachel Hartman's SERAPHINA so much that I actually preordered it, and once I started reading it, I realized that I was loving it so much that I just HAD to immediately order this graphic novel she had done earlier, set in the same world, as well. And then I ended up reading it first. Graphic novels are my favorite storytelling medium, I must confess.

This story really has everything I want in a graphic novel, too. The characters are lovable. The world is intimate and well
Millenia
May 16, 2015 Millenia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, mg, graphic-novel
I loved her book Seraphina. Unfortunately, her comics seem to be unavailable in most places where you buy comics, which means that I will have to suffer many pains to hunt this down. Things like THE NAME OF THE TOAD, a charming and hilarious webcomic Hartman made, guarantee it'll be worth it.

Oh, and the afforementioned comic has a bug early on that won't allow you to go from one page to another. Here is the link to the other page. But srsly - read it. It's just one big slice of delight, a tricks
Allan
Apr 19, 2007 Allan rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite comics ever. It's about a young girl growing up, but it's neither kidsy nor overly "adult". It's got silly games and serious dilemmas and country recipes and folktales and mystery and scholarship and feminism and butterchurn accidents. I love this book and go back to it over and over.
Jenn Bennington
May 23, 2011 Jenn Bennington rated it it was amazing
I loved Amy Unbounded when it was coming out as a zine and I just ran across my old copies in a box of old comics. Can't wait to read them all again and share them with my son, who is now 8 and a fledgling comic geek in his own right.
Karen
I also have and very much enjoyed "amy unbounded, the ashcan series". #1,2,3,4 and 5.
Trebro
Jan 06, 2008 Trebro rated it liked it
Shelves: tradepaperbacks
I got this because it had an introduction by Linda Medley, author of the excellent Castle Waiting series. It has similar themes--a medieval setting, strong female characters, railing against the arbitrary patriarchy, and so on, but all through it, I found something missing.

It took me until I was three quarters of the way through to realize what it is--pacing. While Medley's stories move quickly, keeping the reader engaged, this was far slower, and once things slow down, your mind starts to focu
Anoush Emrazian
Oct 29, 2014 Anoush Emrazian rated it really liked it
I picked this up based on the author only. With no other idea as to what it was about, I started out a big confused and not totally convinced. As I got to know the characters and watched Amy grow, I became more interested in the outcome.

In this book, there are several different problems, mostly related to the role of women in this past society and how they are treated and what rights they do or don't have. Some of these stories have happy endings, some have sad endings and some stories are simpl
Nicole
Jul 04, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it
This was charming and fun (and I especially enjoyed it as a contrast to my mildly-depressing previous read).
Maron Anrow
Apr 13, 2014 Maron Anrow rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I enjoyed Seraphina a great deal and wanted more, so I was excited to see that Rachel Hartman had written a graphic novel set in the same world. Because the author is the illustrator, this meant I could see the world through her own eyes (which I was very curious to do). Amy Unbounded does have a different setting than Seraphina (the former is concerned with the day-to-day activities of people in a small medieval village, whereas the latter took place mostly at court), but it's still clearly the ...more
Estara
Sep 04, 2012 Estara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who enjoyed reading Seraphina
Recommended to Estara by: Linda Medley writing the preface - I love her Castle Waiting series
Bets
May 11, 2014 Bets marked it as to-read
yay, there's "balm in Goredd" for a fledgling Seraphina addict! I can't wait to look for this book.

I wonder if Amy and Bran Ducanahan are precursors of the meta-fictional Amaline Ducanahan?
Debbie
Sep 06, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Debbie by: Christina
Like many others, I stumbled across this graphic novel after reading Seraphina and desperately wanting more. This is a very sweet story told from the POV of Amy, a child who lives as a peasant in Goredd. I loved the little glimmers of Seraphina's world that I saw long before the book was ever written.

As a stand alone story, Amy Unbounded works. It's a coming of age story where Amy discovers that the world isn't always fair, but in the end still moves forward. I really enjoyed this and hope that
Caitlin
Jul 31, 2014 Caitlin rated it really liked it
I read this book because I loved Seraphina and when looking at reviews on goodreads for this book, they were all very positive.

I really enjoyed it. Some parts (OK, most) were really funny, it was easy to distinguish (even for me) the different characters from each other. The only thing that really disappoints me is that I know there is as much material from the serial that hasn't been published in book form and I can't get!
Virginia
Dec 30, 2012 Virginia rated it liked it
Recommended to Virginia by: Christina
Shelves: 2012books
This was a cute story - as with Seraphina, I really appreciated how fleshed out the world is. So much detail! The characters are not as developed in this story, but it was still sweet. I am impressed that the author both wrote and illustrated this. 3.5 stars, if possible!
Kirsten
Dec 23, 2012 Kirsten rated it liked it
I stumbled upon this in an online discussion of Seraphina, and figured I should check it out. I liked it, but the pacing is a bit uneven. Still, it's cute, and a nice (early) glimpse into the same world as Seraphina.
CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right
Pretty sure I read this a long time ago. Bout the same time I read the first Castle Waiting.

I liked it but I might need to reread
Nicole
Jun 13, 2007 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovel
PG/young adult loveliness. i really enjoyed the characters and the world this book exists in.
Mutantreptile
Nov 17, 2013 Mutantreptile rated it really liked it
Charming.
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Annabelle
Annabelle marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Alexa
Alexa is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2016
Tatijana
Tatijana marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Leila
Leila marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Andrea Stoeckel
Andrea Stoeckel marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Annabel Mcastillo
Annabel Mcastillo marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
All Graphic
All Graphic marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
kianna mcbride
kianna mcbride rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
  • Finder, Vol. 01: Sin-Eater 1
  • Castle Waiting, Vol. 2 (Castle Waiting Omnibus Collection #2)
  • Salamander Dream
  • Sugar Falls: A Residential School Story
  • Will Supervillains Be on the Final?: Liberty Vocational    Volume 1
  • Sora Log, Vol. 04
  • Bunny Drop, Vol. 5
  • Cross Game 7 (Cross Game, #14-15)
  • Iron: Or, the War After
  • Black Sun, Volume 1
  • Princess Mononoke: The First Story
  • Romeo and Juliet
  • Little Robot
  • Only Serious About You 2
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling
  • Vampire Loves (Grand Vampire, #1-4)
  • The Annotated Northwest Passage
  • The Madness of Mr. Darcy
Rachel Hartman lives and writes in Vancouver, BC.

Her first YA fantasy novel, Seraphina, was published by Random House on July 10th, 2012. Here are some things that are already being said about Seraphina by some fabulous authors:

“A book worth hoarding, as glittering and silver-bright as dragon scales, with a heroine who insists on carving herself a place in your mind.” — Naomi Novik, New York Times
More about Rachel Hartman...