Start by marking “Spice & Wolf, Vol. 1 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Spice & Wolf, Vol. 1 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #1)

Spice & Wolf, Vol. 1 (Spice & Wolf: Manga #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  1,045 ratings  ·  46 reviews
With his carthorse as his only companion, the young merchant Kraft Lawrence slowly wends his way through dusty back roads in search of profitable trade. But this monotony screeches to a halt when, one night, he encounters a harvest goddess in the guise of a beautiful young girl...with wolf ears and a tail! Longing for the northern lands of her birth, Holo the Wisewolf join ...more
Published April 20th 2010 by Yen Press (first published March 27th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Spice & Wolf, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spice & Wolf, Vol. 1

Danielle
OK, I am in love... with this series. I know that the light novel(s) on which this manga adaptation was based on has been translated into English, but there is just something about the visual medium that makes it stand out. Lawrence and Holo are very cute together and even though there is a lot of plot based on economics, it doesn't detract from the actual story and the characters. It was shrink wrapped in the store due to Holo's initial appearance completely naked, but then she is a wolf and wo ...more
Lola
Lawrence and Holo

This was such a cute story and manga. Even though it's a bit slow and especially revolves around economics, it was quite enjoyable and you couldn't help but fall in love with Lawrence and Holo. I'm really curious about the novel of the same name, from which this manga is based on. Maybe I'll give it a try.

image source: http://paladinproject.wordpress.com/2...
Mike
Kraft Lawrence is a clever traveling merchant traveling a medieval countryside hoping to earn enough to realize his dream of owning his own shop. His life gets significantly more complicated when he inadvertently gives a wolf goddess a lift away from the village she's been watching over for centuries. Wanting to go back to the land of her birth, Holo vows to help Lawrence in his trades in exchange for traveling with him.

At the center of Spice and Wolf is a well developed journey with compelling
Manon-Marie
Je ne connaissais absolument pas Spice & Wolf jusqu’à ce qu’une amie me fasse découvrir la série. Et quelle découverte !
Lawrence est un jeune marchand qui rêve de se poser quelque part et d’ouvrir sa propre boutique. Alors qu’il arpente les routes, il croise une étrange jeune fille aux oreilles et à la queue de loup : Holo, déesse des moissons, sous son apparence humaine. Cette rencontre va bouleverser son petit quotidien bien ordonné. Holo désire regagner ses terres natales. En attendant, e
Rebecca
I was actually told about the anime series Spice and Wolf about a year ago. A friend of mine recommended it because they thought it was something I would enjoy. I never got around to watching the show, but did stumble upon the manga recently. I had no idea that the manga and the anime series are based off of light novels. My friend was right, I did enjoy this volume and will be going after the anime soon:)

When Lawrence goes to get some rest in his cart after a long day he discovers a very naked
Kereesa
Spice & Wolf is a manga adaptation of the original light novel, as well as the anime. The story revolves around Lawrence, a merchant in sort of medieval-ish setting, who gets his hand on some wheat from a village that prays to a wolf god to keep their crops healthy. When Lawrence leaves, and finds a mysterious woman suddenly in his wagon, he's a bit surprised to find the wolf god-dess, Holo, has decided to travel with him, and perhaps make a bit of money on the side.

Spice & Wolf is defi
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Saw only the first ep of the anime and found it good. The setting was nice, the characters were interesting but haven't continued watching it yet. And so thought let's see what the manga is about. And its about the same.

What got me interested was not only these two characters, the setting but the story as well. Good start, looking forward to Holo and Lawrence's adventures and wonder what they'll do next.
*Queen Diva*
Actual rating: 2.5

Hmmm... I'm not quite sure what to think of the start of this manga.

First, I've been wanting to read this series for some time now, so I was excited it was picked for our Book of the Month read in the Manga Book Club. I'm not sure what I was expecting... but it certainly wasn't this. I know it's just the first volume and things will no doubt change, but this isn't at all what I was expecting.

The first volume was okay. I wasn't too invested in it, nor was I entirely bored with i
Christina
Kraft Lawrence is a trade merchant with no more company than his silent wagon horse and the road they tread upon. Lawrence has been a merchant on his own for seven years, so he is still a bit new at it, but knows enough to be a great barter, and at times, friend. But as the years of his early trades still haunt him, and only continue to pile up in his heart, he knows now not to get too close to people. So, the long silences on the road are very deafening for Lawrence. But when the "deity" of the ...more
Risa
Spice & Wolf was an ok book all it's really about is and man named Krafted Lawrence who is a traveling merchant and soons finds the Holo who is the wolf of harvest in a small town in his carriege. she offers him a deal so she can travel with him and to never return to this small town that no longer relise on her. He agrees to take her and relizes while on the road how his profits have been going up , but they still have a long road to go on . Spice & Wolf is a slow develop story but can ...more
Keshav
Interesting premise, but I have yet to see anything that will keep me hooked for long. Let's see if Volume 2 is able to pick up the slack.

UPDATE:
The series gets very interesting come Volume 2. Interesting conflicts, hints at romance, I enjoyed it!
2bnallegory
I didn't like the art as much in this first volume but it improves in later volumes. Story is good and different than what I have read before.
Jessica
Very entertaining. The way the characters interact is believable, yet comedic. Overall, it makes sense and I want to read the next one
Kevin Fanning
It was fine? Made me more curious to watch the show than it did to read the original novel or the rest of this series.

This is potentially about me, and not the book, but there was at least one panel per page where I was like: What am I even looking at. Like I didn't get what new information or emotion was being conveyed in places. Given the necessary economy of the form I'm sure the story was laid out the way it was laid out for a reason, so it's just some kind of manga visual vocabulary that I
Charles
Aiza
Snuffles
It's cutely drawn (if you ignore all the randomly added (view spoiler)) and I could even be interested in the characters, but... the plot! There's very little plot and the plot that's there is so... uninteresting. I don't really want to read more about... trading, I guess.

So, I might give the second volume a try, bu
Johnmike2012
Hello this manga was okay the story line was ight but the art was amazing i love Holo so much shes so cute lol but i like the anime a lil bit more then the manga but overall its a good manga and if u like love stories then u will like Spice & Wolf :D
Tom Hagley
Beautifully hand drawn, with warm feel to the art style. Great use of colour and themes. V. Interesting + unique storyline, with great characters. Must read more!
josh
Mar 19, 2014 josh rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Manga fans
Recommended to josh by: A love of Holo
A skillfully woven tale by Hasekura beautifully illustrated by Koume as a graphic novel.

Looking forward to jumping into book 2 tomorrow.
Zac Chase
great manga! it follows a traveling merchant during the 1600 who went throw a town that had a festival going on and picked up a harvest god called Holo. cation this book does have some nude pics. i love this book but it could just be because of the EARS AND THE TAIL!!! there so cool anyways its a quick read and amazing one at that.
Kevin Mccutcheon
Really enjoyed it, Good story not over sexualised like the rest of the Mangas on the shelf
Alex Gonzalez
I liked the anime, so I assume the manga is of the same quality.
Dennis Yang
Seven WORDS

I LOVE THE ANIMATION LOVE THE MANGA!
Veevee
Love Holo!
Ashley
Oct 29, 2014 Ashley added it
Shelves: manga, dnf
I'm not rating this because I lost interest about halfway through it. There's nothing wrong with it from what I can tell it just wasn't my cup of tea right now.
Lord
This manga's main focus will probably be a trade in fantasy evnironment and I can't say I'm crazy about that. Because there's much more potential in the settings and relationship between the man and the wolf. I'll read one more book and then I will see if this series is worth more attention. Holo is a very interesting character and not only because of the "spicy" fanservice..
Jasmiina F
This started as very good and I think that Lawrence is a wonderful character, but then suddenly evrything was very boring... At least for me. There's nothing interesting happening really. Too bad because I liked Lawrence a lot. I'm not sure if I'm interested enough to read the next volume.
Nov 27, 2014 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I really enjoyed this, especially having seen the anime. I can see where people would get confused with the economic stuff--I still do sometimes--or where they'd get bored if they didn't know where the plot was going. But personally, I think it's great. Lawrence and Holo are adorable.
  • Toradora! Vol. 1
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 2
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Vol. 1 (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, #1)
  • Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei: The Power of Negative Thinking Volume 1 (Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei #1)
  • Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends #1
  • Kaze Hikaru, Volume 1
  • King of Thorn 1 (King of Thorn, #1)
  • Afterschool Charisma, Vol. 1
  • Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc, Vol. 1
  • Olympos (Omnibus)
  • Blood Alone, Volume 1
  • tactics, Volume 1
  • Elfen Lied Vol. 1
  • Dance in the Vampire Bund, Vol. 3 (Dance in the Vampire Bund, #3)
  • Mugen Spiral, Vol. 01
  • Karakuri Odette Volume 1
  • Kyo Kara MAOH!, Volume 01
  • Immortal Rain, Vol. 1

Spice & Wolf: Manga (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 2 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #2)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 3 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #3)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 4 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #4)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 5 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #5)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 6 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #6)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 7 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #7)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 8 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #8)
  • 狼と香辛料 9
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 10 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #10)
  • 狼と香辛料 11
Spice and Wolf, Vol. 1 Spice & Wolf, Vol. 2 Spice & Wolf, Vol. 3 Spice & Wolf, Vol. 4 Spice & Wolf, Vol. 5