Start by marking “Spice & Wolf, Vol. 1 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Spice & Wolf, Vol. 1 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #1)

Spice & Wolf, Vol. 1 (Spice & Wolf: Manga #1)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  1,641 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
With his carthorse as his only companion, the young merchant Kraft Lawrence slowly wends his way through dusty back roads in search of profitable trade. But this monotony screeches to a halt when, one night, he encounters a harvest goddess in the guise of a beautiful young girl...with wolf ears and a tail! Longing for the northern lands of her birth, Holo the Wisewolf join ...more
Published April 20th 2010 by Yen Press (first published March 27th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Spice & Wolf, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Terrence Whitter
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Danielle
OK, I am in love... with this series. I know that the light novel(s) on which this manga adaptation was based on has been translated into English, but there is just something about the visual medium that makes it stand out. Lawrence and Holo are very cute together and even though there is a lot of plot based on economics, it doesn't detract from the actual story and the characters. It was shrink wrapped in the store due to Holo's initial appearance completely naked, but then she is a wolf and wo ...more
Lola  Reviewer
Lawrence and Holo

This was such a cute story and manga. Even though it's a bit slow and especially revolves around economics, it was quite enjoyable and you couldn't help but fall in love with Lawrence and Holo. I'm really curious about the novel of the same name, from which this manga is based on. Maybe I'll give it a try.

image source: http://paladinproject.wordpress.com/2...
Aja: The Narcoleptic Ninja
This manga is weird. It’s kind of like a slice of life but with fantasy elements in it? About 95% of this manga was just a merchant going about his daily life, but oh yeah there’s also a wolf girl who’s kind of like a goddess? And she can shift between a human and a wolf and she knows when people are lying.

It was kind of a slow read. After the first bit where the story is being established, then it’s just a travelling merchant with the tag-along wolf girl. There were several pages just explaini
Andre
1) Deutsche Rezension
2) English Review

1) Deutsche Rezension
Das Beste an diesem Buch zuerst: Der Zeichenstil ist wirklich gut. Man kann höchstens etwas dagegen sagen wenn man diesen sehr mangatypischen Stil nicht mag aber das war es auch schon. Es ist sehr detailliert und klar, die Gesichter sind ausdruckstark und die Proportionen sind einheitlich.
Das Buch insgesamt hat mich allerdings nicht überzeugt. Ich fand es am Anfang schon eigenartig wie Charaktere schon vor Beginn der Geschichte vorgest
Drunkenness Books
Nov 02, 2014 Drunkenness Books rated it really liked it
Je ne connaissais absolument pas Spice & Wolf jusqu’à ce qu’une amie me fasse découvrir la série. Et quelle découverte !
Lawrence est un jeune marchand qui rêve de se poser quelque part et d’ouvrir sa propre boutique. Alors qu’il arpente les routes, il croise une étrange jeune fille aux oreilles et à la queue de loup : Holo, déesse des moissons, sous son apparence humaine. Cette rencontre va bouleverser son petit quotidien bien ordonné. Holo désire regagner ses terres natales. En attendant, e
Kereesa
Spice & Wolf is a manga adaptation of the original light novel, as well as the anime. The story revolves around Lawrence, a merchant in sort of medieval-ish setting, who gets his hand on some wheat from a village that prays to a wolf god to keep their crops healthy. When Lawrence leaves, and finds a mysterious woman suddenly in his wagon, he's a bit surprised to find the wolf god-dess, Holo, has decided to travel with him, and perhaps make a bit of money on the side.

Spice & Wolf is defi
Rebecca
May 03, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
I was actually told about the anime series Spice and Wolf about a year ago. A friend of mine recommended it because they thought it was something I would enjoy. I never got around to watching the show, but did stumble upon the manga recently. I had no idea that the manga and the anime series are based off of light novels. My friend was right, I did enjoy this volume and will be going after the anime soon:)

When Lawrence goes to get some rest in his cart after a long day he discovers a very naked
Mike
Feb 21, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it
Kraft Lawrence is a clever traveling merchant traveling a medieval countryside hoping to earn enough to realize his dream of owning his own shop. His life gets significantly more complicated when he inadvertently gives a wolf goddess a lift away from the village she's been watching over for centuries. Wanting to go back to the land of her birth, Holo vows to help Lawrence in his trades in exchange for traveling with him.

At the center of Spice and Wolf is a well developed journey with compelling
Scott
Nov 01, 2015 Scott rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Lawrence Kraft is a traveling merchant who one day finds a hitch-hiker napping in his cart: a wolf-goddess named Holo who has taken semi-human form. She would like him to take her north, back to her homeland, and along the way he teaches her about human economics while she uses her specific talents to help him out in his dealings.

This comic was okay but not a lot happens in the first volume and I much preferred watching the anime. The "explicit content" warning on the cover can be safely ignored
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Dec 27, 2014 Nidah (SleepDreamWrite) rated it really liked it
Saw only the first ep of the anime and found it good. The setting was nice, the characters were interesting but haven't continued watching it yet. And so thought let's see what the manga is about. And its about the same.

What got me interested was not only these two characters, the setting but the story as well. Good start, looking forward to Holo and Lawrence's adventures and wonder what they'll do next.
Keshav
Mar 18, 2012 Keshav rated it it was ok
Interesting premise, but I have yet to see anything that will keep me hooked for long. Let's see if Volume 2 is able to pick up the slack.

UPDATE:
The series gets very interesting come Volume 2. Interesting conflicts, hints at romance, I enjoyed it!
2bnallegory
Jan 03, 2011 2bnallegory rated it really liked it
I didn't like the art as much in this first volume but it improves in later volumes. Story is good and different than what I have read before.
Jessica
Aug 18, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it
Very entertaining. The way the characters interact is believable, yet comedic. Overall, it makes sense and I want to read the next one
Aiza
Sep 24, 2012 Aiza rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Chad Perrin
Feb 14, 2017 Chad Perrin rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, fantasy
The art is good. The story is good (having been adapted from an excellent light novel series).

The story feels a bit more sparse, with some detail left out relative to the light novel source material. Economics in particular, as a subject, seems less richly detailed than in the light novel. It's quite enjoyable none the less, and I look forward to volume two.

While the rating (four stars) looks the same for this manga volume (which makes up a fraction of the story in volume one of the light novel
Rhianna
May 06, 2017 Rhianna rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
4.5- This is a super charming story, and a welcome change from the action heavy manga I tend to see more of. I'm curious to see how the series plays out.
Miri
Feb 06, 2017 Miri rated it it was ok
Shelves: japan, manga
Eh. I like the setting, but the naked fox-girl is pretty gross fan service. The plot would probably fill out if I were to give it another few volumes, but I don't know that I'll bother.
Lanie
Nov 29, 2015 Lanie rated it liked it

It's pretty good. Not the greatest thing I've ever read, but pretty good. I've found that lots manga series start out a bit slow and you have to keep reading to really start enjoying it. Or at least I do anyway. "Black butler" was like that for me.

Anyway, I saw volumes 2 & 3 at my favorite used book store so I got them. Plus Black Friday sales at Barnes & noble helped, me decide to get the 1st, so here we are, book 1 of "spice & wolf" the manga edition.

I firs must say that the artwo
Charles
Christina
Jul 05, 2014 Christina rated it really liked it
Kraft Lawrence is a trade merchant with no more company than his silent wagon horse and the road they tread upon. Lawrence has been a merchant on his own for seven years, so he is still a bit new at it, but knows enough to be a great barter, and at times, friend. But as the years of his early trades still haunt him, and only continue to pile up in his heart, he knows now not to get too close to people. So, the long silences on the road are very deafening for Lawrence. But when the "deity" of the ...more
Risa
Apr 29, 2014 Risa rated it liked it
Spice & Wolf was an ok book all it's really about is and man named Krafted Lawrence who is a traveling merchant and soons finds the Holo who is the wolf of harvest in a small town in his carriege. she offers him a deal so she can travel with him and to never return to this small town that no longer relise on her. He agrees to take her and relizes while on the road how his profits have been going up , but they still have a long road to go on . Spice & Wolf is a slow develop story but can ...more
Miss Ryoko
Jun 03, 2013 Miss Ryoko rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, library-book
Actual rating: 2.5

Hmmm... I'm not quite sure what to think of the start of this manga.

First, I've been wanting to read this series for some time now, so I was excited it was picked for our Book of the Month read in the Manga Book Club. I'm not sure what I was expecting... but it certainly wasn't this. I know it's just the first volume and things will no doubt change, but this isn't at all what I was expecting.

The first volume was okay. I wasn't too invested in it, nor was I entirely bored with i
Ruth
Jun 23, 2015 Ruth rated it really liked it
A fun and entertaining read. I have not read the light novels and had no preconceptions before reading this manga, yet was still surprised by the high quality of the work. The artwork was beautiful, particularly the colour pages, while they were also easy to follow, unlike other manga I have read. World-building and the the developing relationship between Holo and Lawrence were both well-executed, even in such a short volume. Lawrence is very pragmatic yet kindhearted, while Holo is amusingly ec ...more
Keri Duckworth
Feb 06, 2014 Keri Duckworth rated it really liked it
I absolutely loooved the Spice & Wolf anime and was supremely bummed when it disappeared after only two seasons. I decided to pick up the manga so that I could continue following Holo and Lawrence's story. Their interactions are pretty adorable, and I really favor Holo's character. She's witty, intuitive, and charming. I mean, hey, she's Holo the Wise Wolf! I could only give this four stars as the plot was sometimes a little difficult to follow when it came to economics, the sequencing was s ...more
Galleane
Cette lecture n'a pas vraiment été une découverte, connaissant déjà le contenu parce que j'ai lu avant le light novel. Étant donné qu'il n'y a pas de différence, ou si minimes que je n'ai rien remarqué, je n'ai pas grand-chose à dire sur l'ensemble de ce premier tome. Ce que je peux dire, c'est que les détails rébarbatifs dans le roman sont mieux passés ici, bien que ça ne soit pas le genre d'information qui passe bien avec moi, et que pouvoir apprécier l'image en plus rend plusieurs situations ...more
Snuffles
Mar 30, 2015 Snuffles rated it liked it
It's cutely drawn (if you ignore all the randomly added (view spoiler)) and I could even be interested in the characters, but... the plot! There's very little plot and the plot that's there is so... uninteresting. I don't really want to read more about... trading, I guess.

So, I might give the second volume a try, bu
Kevin Fanning
Jun 15, 2014 Kevin Fanning rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
It was fine? Made me more curious to watch the show than it did to read the original novel or the rest of this series.

This is potentially about me, and not the book, but there was at least one panel per page where I was like: What am I even looking at. Like I didn't get what new information or emotion was being conveyed in places. Given the necessary economy of the form I'm sure the story was laid out the way it was laid out for a reason, so it's just some kind of manga visual vocabulary that I
Terrence  Whitter
Jul 23, 2016 Terrence Whitter rated it really liked it
Change to the usual high adrenalin manga I usually read, I felt really relaxed reading this its a nice developed story and the characters are really easy to warm up to. I also enjoyed learning about trade, although it may not be relevant to today's standard the economic info on currencies I found very interesting.

I highly recommend if you have read a lot of manga that has a lot of action and are looking for something to wind down to, but moves at a good enough pace for you not to get easily bore
Belinda
Jan 04, 2016 Belinda rated it really liked it
This one was neat. I got confused when buying it, not realizing this is actually based on a book that was written first. I might have liked that better, but this was interesting. It's a neat setting, and I enjoyed the characters. Plus I liked the bit of economic lessons included. I could have done without the nudity, but overall the illustrations were really well done. I probably will check out Vol. 2 this year sometime.
Chtitepuce
Aug 05, 2015 Chtitepuce rated it liked it
Le crayonné tout en finesse nous fait découvrir de nombreux paysages, des champs et des villes, accompagnant la lenteur du récit se focalisant sur la relation entre Lawrence et Holo.
Le premier tome de Spice & Wolf laisse le temps au lecteur de découvrir des personnages charmant et de planter le décor.

• Toradora! Vol. 1
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Vol. 1 (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, #1)
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 2 (A Bride's Story, #2)
  • Afterschool Charisma, Vol. 1
  • Kyo Kara MAOH!, Volume 01
  • Blood Alone, Volume 1
  • K-ON! vol. 01 (Indonesian)
  • Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc, Vol. 1
  • Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends #1
  • King of Thorn, Vol. 1
  • Rosario+Vampire: Season II, Vol. 2 (Rosario+Vampire: Season II, #2)
  • Dance in the Vampire Bund, Vol. 3 (Dance in the Vampire Bund, #3)
  • Ranma 1/2, Vol. 13
  • Kaze Hikaru, Vol. 1

Spice & Wolf: Manga (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 2 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #2)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 3 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #3)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 4 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #4)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 5 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #5)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 6 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #6)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 7 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #7)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 8 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #8)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 9 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #9)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 10 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #10)
  • Spice and Wolf, Vol. 11 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #11)