Start by marking “Legends II” as Want to Read:
Legends II

Legends II (Legends II (all stories))

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  2,393 ratings  ·  101 reviews
Fantasy fans, rejoice! Seven years after writer and editor Robert Silverberg made publishing history with Legends, his acclaimed anthology of original short novels by some of the greatest writers in fantasy fiction, the long-awaited second volume is here. Legends II picks up where its illustrious predecessor left off. All of the bestselling writers represented in Legends I ...more
Published (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Legends II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legends II

Eric
Jul 11, 2014 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
The stories I read from this collection are:

'The Sworn Sword' by George R.R. Martin

In the same league as its predecessor, 'The Hedge Knight', and its successor, 'The Mystery Knight', all three of which tell tales of the hedge knight Ser Duncan the Tall and his squire Egg.

'The Yazoo Queen' by Orson Scott Card

Another interesting alternate America story about Alvin Maker and his pupil Arthur Stuart. Like 'Grinning Man', which featured Davey Crockett, this story features appearances by multiple fa
Dan
I originally bought Legends II because it contained a short story set in the Shannara world by Terry Brooks who has long been one of my favorite authors. In the intervening time that it's taken me to get around to reading it, I discovered and enjoyed The Tales of Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card and was pleased to see a short story by him from that world in the book. I'm only vaguely familiar with a couple of the other authors who contributed, but upon reading their contributions, I'm glad ...more
David Melbie
Dec 08, 2010 David Melbie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New to Fantasy? Try these on for size!
Recommended to David by: Picked myself
I actually read these eleven stories in the two paperback editions that were published in 2004; Legends II: Shadows, Gods, and Demons and Legends II: Dragon, Sword, and King. I knew from reading the first Legends that I would not be disappointed, and I was not.

The first Legends was where I first learned of Terry Goodkind, Orson Scott Card, Robert Jordon, and Stephen King's Dark Tower horror/fantasy series. Silverberg himself was new to me, and I eventually read some of his stories as well. I am
Becca
I greatly enjoy fantasy stories, even if I am not very well read in the genre, so this was a blast to work through. (And it is something that one might have to "work through" - 642 pages!) My favorite stories were by the following authors: Robin Hobb, Diana Gabaldon, Tad Williams, Anne McCaffrey, Elizabeth Haydon, and Neil Gaiman (of course - American Gods 'verse? Yes please!).
Rafal Jasinski

Bardzo nierówna antologia, w której teksty bardzo dobre, czy wręcz wybitne sąsiadują z miałką, pozbawioną polotu i ciekawej fabuły, kanoniczną do bólu fantasy. "Legendy II" doskonale sprawdzają się jednak, jako "próbnik" dla tych, którzy zainteresowani są pewnymi sztandarowymi dla gatunku cyklami fantasy, jakkolwiek wcześniej chcieliby się przekonać, czym dana seria się charakteryzuje, tudzież jakim stylem operują jej znani autorzy.

Po lekturze drugiego tomu "Legend", nabrałem solidnego apetytu
Lauren
In some ways I thought this collection was even better than Legends I. There were several authors in this anthology whom I had never heard of and whose stories I enjoyed immensely: Diana Gabaldon and Elizabeth Haydon particularly, although Robin Hobb's "Homecoming" and Neil Gaiman's "The Monarch of the Glen" were also good. Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker story was just as good as the one in Legends I, as was Raymond Feist's Riftwar story. Feist's descriptions of military campaigns are clear and ...more
Aleris
Bill
I've read three of the stories in this book so far, all of which were excellent. I am going to come back and read the rest in-between other books I think. The ones I have read thus far:

The Sworn Sword - George R.R. Martin: This is a continuation of the Hedge Knight, which is set in the Song of Ice and Fire world. I love these two characters (Dunk and Egg), and both this and its predecessor are excellent stories. They read like they could be seamlessly integrated as a few chapters (each) somewher
Maura
This contains short stories by 6 authors:

# Neil Gaiman
# Anne McCaffrey
# Tad Williams
# Robin Hobb
# Robert Silverberg
# Raymond E. Feist

I hadn't read anything by Robert Silverberg before and will now track down a full length work or two of his. Anne McCaffrey was just as you'd suspect (I read about 4 of her books in the past and was sated; this story was fine, but isn't enticing me back for more). Tad Williams was better in short form than i remember his Otherland being. Robin Hobb came back into m
Christopher
3.5 stars overall.

Fantastic story by Robin Hobb called Homecoming (4 stars).

The Sworn Sword (the reason I bought this anthology) was another fantastic Dunk and Egg tale (5 stars). "A sworn sword owes his lord the truth." We get some insight into Bloodraven that I can't help but think will be important later...

Enjoyed The Book of Changes by Robert Silverberg (3 stars).

The Pern story (Beyond Between) was okay (2.5 stars). I think I might have appreciated it more if I followed the books.

I really

Otherland: "The Happiest Dead Boy in the World" by Tad Williams - 4 stars

Pern: "Beyond Between" by Anne McCaffrey - 2 stars

The Riftwar: "The Messenger" by Raymond
Skut L
I had a longer review written then lost it.

I only read the stories penned by Raymond E. Feist and George RR Martin. 'The Messenger' by Feist is part of his Riftwar Saga and while a well-told tale it was certainly nothing to crow about. On the other hand, 'The Sworn Sword' by Martin made me want to read the other Dunk and Egg tales, as there was enough in there to fill out a novel.

I am a fan of both these authors so I was quite satisfied with their offerings here.

I would read more but have to re
Jeremy Preacher
Sadly, Legends II lacks the consistency of its predecessor. Some of the stories are excellent - the Otherland story, the Gaiman - and some of them seem forced - in particular the Pern story and the Shannara, which, even though I have not read the novel its related to, feels like a tacked-on retread of an otherwise completed work. Overall it's worthwhile, and it's a nice range of worlds and authors, but it feels too much like a runners-up volume.
Germancho
(Dunk & Egg #2 Review) Man, I really needed this after A dance with dragons! It's beautiful in its simplicity, yet as well written as the early ASOIAF books. As a bonus, it also has a lot of back-story within about a certain raveny character who becomes pretty interesting in ADWD.
Daniel Taylor
The great thing about anthologies is discovering writers you know you should have read but have never got around to. That's especially true in this one, where authors offer short stories that take place in the worlds that made them famous.
Elizabeth Mallory
One of my favorite fantasy books of all time, this collection of novellas is easy to read (all the works are short!) and gives you a good overview of definitive authors in the genre. It's a good place to find new writers worth reading.

Favorites:
1. "Lord John and the Succubus" by Diana Gabaldon.
2. "Homecoming" by Robin Hobb.
3. "The Yazoo Queen" by Orson Scott Card.
Rob Trevino
This is only for the George RR Martin story, sorry. The second Dunk and Egg story goes in a darker, more somber direction but it's still highly enjoyable and continues to build the character of Dunk. Again, if you're not reading the books but are a fan of the show Game of Thrones you might want to try these novellas.

I listened to the audiobook from Audible. It took a bit to get used to the reader (he pronounces certain things differently than the show or other readers), but I enjoyed his reader
Helle
Legends II contains eleven fantasy / SF stories, some from the same authors as those present in Legends, but also some different and for me new authors. As with most collections, I find that I like some stories better than others, especially when different authors are involved. Overall I thought the stories in Legends II were slightly less interesting and/or amusing the stories in Legends I.

Only two of the stories are related to series I have read, Majipoor by Robert Silverberg and Otherland by
Angelica
I have this habit of creating an arbitrary to-read list and sticking to it no matter what. So, even though I have just read Legends I and realized that I might have enjoyed it more if I had read the fantasy series before that, I had to read this one now, even though I STILL haven't read the series to which these novellas belong. Oh, well.

HOMECOMING by Robin Hobb - 5 stars
When I started reading it, I actually thought I wouldn't like it. Boy, was I wrong... This was an absolute pleasure to read. T
The Happiest Dead Boy in the World by Tad Williams: 3 stars. Williams does a good job reducing the complex plot of the Otherland series into something a new reader could sort-of understand, but the short story is also full of spoilers and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't already read the books. As a stand alone piece, it's interesting and well written but I didn't think it added much to the overall storyline. It did make me want to go back and re-read the original series, however.

Hom
Liss Capello
Having read the first Legends anthology, I came to this one with a better idea of what to expect. Some of the authors are repeats, some are new, and like any anthology I had my favorites and the ones I didn't care so much for. My purpose in reading this was to get access to the second Dunk and Egg story by George R. R. Martin, so I was especially pleased that it was placed early in the anthology, so I could enjoy it and then enjoy the other stories without perpetually waiting for that one.

"Homec
Arun Divakar
My experience with anthologies so far has been that they always have a mixed bag of works. It has not been changed by this book. There are good and soporific ones here as well.

This is aimed at a segment of the fantasy reader circle : those who know their series/novel(s) and want more of it. It is evident from the author's that they are writing for this segment. This will spoil a bit of the fun for another set of readers who do not know the worlds. For eg : George R R Martin's back story of the S
Anna
Maybe its the specific authors collected in here, but me and this book did not get along

Robin Hobb's "Homecoming" and Diana Gabaldon's "Lord John and the Succubus" -- first exposure to these authors. Extremely like what I read and gonna look into more stuff by them
George R. R. Martin - "The Sworn Sword" good stuff as usual. the aSoIaF fangirl in me was most pleased

Orson Scott Card - "The Yazoo Queen" was the worst of the lot! egads, never before have character 'accents' been so damn hard to read
Angelica
I think I read fewer of the stories in this one.

I really enjoyed the ones by Robin Hobb, George R. R. Martin, and Neil Gaiman. The Tad Williams story never caught my interest. I didn't much care for the Anne McCaffrey, perhaps because I've never read any Pern books. Unsure whether I'll go back and read the others.
Hillary
I originally selected this anthology for its inclusion of George R. R. Martin's second Dunk & Egg story, 'The Sworn Sword'. I did not read this collection cover-to-cover, but instead read a few of the short novels, and am basing my rating on the collection itself rather than the few stories that I really enjoyed.
Kevin Godfrey
Enjoyable Read

The stories were hit and miss for me. I enjoyed the Martin story, Maajipur story, Riftwar story, and Otherland story. Pern and Alvin stories did less for me. Overall it was a good sequel to Legends anthology.
Brice
Stories:
* Homecoming (Robin Hobb): Alternate world, sailing ships / torches / crates level technology. Some nice twists as the voyagers spend time in the River Wilds area and are affected by it. Sad bits. For the most part, Hobb maintains his gloomy outlook on the human character and the dismal-ness of life. Warning: This story took a long time to get into / start to understand (maybe 20 of the 70 pages). 3.5 stars.
* The Sworn Sword (George R.R. Martin): Knight-era tale of Dunk the hedge-knight
Fred
Truth be told, it wasn't a bad book but it was more or less what I'm coming to expect from short story anthologies in any genre. There are one or two truly stellar works of fiction, one or two that make me want to shoot myself in the face, and the rest fall somewhere in between with them hopefully (if you're lucky) being closer to the former than the latter.

It was worth the read and worth picking up for cheap at a second hand store if you find it. Even better to borrow it from someone. Personal
Arun Andhavarapu
I read this book before Legends I....thought that the first volume was much better. Introduced to a bunch of great authors whose work i hadnt read before.
Ramoths Own
I have to admit that I only read the George R.R. Martin and the Anne McCaffrey stories since those are the worlds that I am familiar with. I adored both of them and the Pern story made me sob in more than one place. I may someday go back and read some of the other stories in the collection but for now the two I read were amazing.
  • Warriors
  • Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
  • Tails of Wonder and Imagination
  • The Starry Rift: Tales of New Tomorrows
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • Dragon's Time (Pern, #23)
  • Swords & Dark Magic: The New Sword and Sorcery
  • The Way of the Wizard
  • The People of Pern
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • The World of Shannara
  • Wizards: Magical Tales From the Masters of Modern Fantasy
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc ...more
More about Robert Silverberg...

Legends (2 books)
  • Legends
Lord Valentine's Castle (Lord Valentine, #1) Legends The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 1 Dying Inside Majipoor Chronicles (Lord Valentine, #2)

“Treason . . . is only a word. When two princes fight for a chair where only one may sit, great lords and common men alike must choose. And when the battle’s done, the victors will be hailed as loyal men and true, whilst those who were defeated will be known forevermore as rebels and traitors. That was my fate.” 0 likes