Start by marking “The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes” as Want to Read:
The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading endocrinologist and an expert dietitian to offer a Best Life program tailored to the needs of people with diabetes and pre-diabetes.

Coping with the unique challenges of living
Published November 3rd 2009 by Simon & Schuster (first published October 12th 2009)

Susanna
Sep 15, 2010 Susanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-development
In my country pre-diabetes doesn't even exist - officially. I was fortunate to end up at a doctor who spotted it in a blood test and who required further testing afterwards (OK, I was lucky to be able to afford private medical care and I think this doctor really is above the rest around here. He's a bit of a Dr. House: he's also mad and rides a motorbike). It can be reversed but you have to live pretty much like a person who has diabetes type 2. Not everyone will have symptoms with pre-diabetes. ...more
Satia
Dec 23, 2009 Satia rated it did not like it
It is frightening to think that this book will be hugely popular given that it has misinformation that can put the diabetic's health and well-being at risk. Everything this book offers is available for free online. See my full review for better options:

Whatever else you do, if you are pre-diabetic, have diabetes, and/or are considering buying this book for yourself or a loved one, do not bother.
Gloria
May 17, 2011 Gloria rated it liked it
I always find Bob Greene encouraging and helpful. At times, he gets mired down in the details. Here he has very good, basic advice such as exercise a lot and drink lots of water, but it seems wearisome when he starts talking about 7 grams of this and 1/4 cup of that. Just lots of food and exercise and medical measurements referred to. If you like to count carbs, this one is for you. Generally thorough but with a special emphasis on exercise.
Victoria
Jun 12, 2012 Victoria rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
Snagged out of the bookmobile, this is my first exposure to a managing-diabetes book, and I like it. It successfully relates the need for exercise and dieting in ways I can understand; it's very motivating and helps me understand the diabetic processes in the body in ways never explained to me by health professionals.
Fredrick Danysh
Mar 07, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
Shelves: medical-health
The author describes diabetes and how it affects the body. Several management techniques, menus, diets, and exercises are presented. There are also several diabetes friendly recipes. Different drug treatments and their effects are discussed.
Malia
Jan 05, 2014 Malia rated it liked it
Mostly the same stuff found elsewhere, but I liked the baby steps program. One thing at a time, then get used to it before adding more. I also liked the exercise chart.
K.D. Bissonette
Feb 24, 2013 K.D. Bissonette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
very good book with lots of great and helpful ideas for dealing with diabetes.
Caramia
Jan 13, 2011 Caramia is currently reading it
I'm just reading to get info. about the kind of diet a person who is watching their sugar intake. Very well written and easy to understand.
Tina Tormey
Dec 15, 2009 Tina Tormey rated it really liked it
Clear, easy and comprehensive guide to understanding diabetes and pre-diabetes.
Louis
Nov 05, 2015 Louis rated it liked it
If this were the only book I've read on this topic, it would be very good. However, I believe much of the information is already known to myself, thus I only rate this as "good".
Heather
Dec 27, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
It wouldn't hurt if all of us ate better and exercised. Great book for people who have been diagnosed with insulin resistance or any type of diabetes.
charleen Niznik
charleen Niznik rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2014
Nicholas Dodge
Nicholas Dodge rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Bookwyrmguy
Bookwyrmguy rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Melissa J
Melissa J rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2011
Kristy
Kristy rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2015
Martha
Martha rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2012
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2010
Dee
Dee rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Cheryl Shireman
Cheryl Shireman rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was ok
Apr 13, 2017
Kris
Kris rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2013
TRICINA L. FOWLER
TRICINA L. FOWLER rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2016
gary solnik
gary solnik rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2014
Grace
Grace rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Rica
Rica rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2013
Chumpol NaLamlieng
Chumpol NaLamlieng rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2016
Camilla
Camilla rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Bob Greene is a personal trainer who writes on health and weight loss. He works and writes with Oprah Winfrey.

More about Bob Greene...