Start by marking “Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast” as Want to Read:
Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast

Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast

3.05 of 5 stars 3.05  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Wild Man Jack isn't easy to please. Especially when Mama Jane serves him the one dish that he detests. Each day his children ask what he'll do if it arrives at the table, and each day he comes up with an even more colorful response. Not until Friday do things get really out of hand.Philip Christian Stead's call and response text and intricate collage art bring food and pho ...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast

Andrea Wilkinson
Unusual story that wasn't terribly appealing after my first read through. Afterward, I found out this is a true story Philip Stead grew up with because it's about his Grandpa Jack.
Mandy McHenry
Cute pictures. Could be a good jumping off point for kids who are picky eaters. But I was seriously bugged that the kids call their parents by their first names. Too weird.
Kellie Deruwe
Cute cute book! I always love books by Phillip Christian Stead. His books are so fun and creative. This book is about a man named Wild Man Jack who cannot stand creamed tuna fish and peas on toast. Several people throughout the book ask Wild Man Jack what he will do if Mama cooks creamed tuna fish and peas on toast and he replies with something like "I'll scream and complain 'cause I hate it the most!" All of Jacks responses in the book are funny and will make you laugh.

I think I found this book
Natalie  Harvey
LOVE the illustrations!
Nielson
In this fun, country-feel book, Wild Man Jack's least favorite dish is creamed tuna fish and peas on toast. All of his kids are wondering what he will do if Mama Jane makes it for him....and in the end he does all that he says he will and more! The intricate collage artwork in this book is so unique but it is incredible! For parents out there who have kids with phobias to food, you will LOVE this book!
Kelly
I found this to be odd. Children would probably like it as much of the text repeats itself, so they could repeat along if one was reading this aloud. The title pulled me in - but the story well it was different.
Marisa
My daughter thought this book was really funny. The only thing I didn't like was the use of the word hate because it is a word I try to teach my children not to use.
Kelly
I thought the pictures blended into each other too much and they were too messy. But the story is silly and kind of fun. Good repetition, too.
Tracy
I can so identify with Wild Man Jack. I am not partial to any kind of creamed meat.
Cathy
I read about a new book by this author and found this early book as only okay.
Marina
Odd story but cute illustrations.
Gail
Did not appeal to my three year old.
Pinky
Yuck!

Can't wait to read this!
John
Mar 09, 2010 John added it
Seemingly good read for K-2
Martha
I love these illustrations!
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Laura Rydberg
Laura Rydberg marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Lyn
Lyn marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Murphy
Murphy marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Jenny Liang
Jenny Liang marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A Sick Day for Amos McGee Bear Has a Story to Tell A Home for Bird Hello, My Name Is Ruby Sebastian and the Balloon