Start by marking “Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast” as Want to Read:
Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast

Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast

3.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  79 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Wild Man Jack isn't easy to please. Especially when Mama Jane serves him the one dish that he detests. Each day his children ask what he'll do if it arrives at the table, and each day he comes up with an even more colorful response. Not until Friday do things get really out of hand.Philip Christian Stead's call and response text and intricate collage art bring food and pho ...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast

Pout-Pout Fish, The by Deborah DiesenThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussThe Rainbow Fish by Marcus PfisterThis is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen
Picture Books About Fish
84th out of 107 books — 16 voters
A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. SteadA Home for Bird by Philip C. SteadBear Has a Story to Tell by Philip C. SteadHello, My Name is Ruby by Philip C. SteadJonathan and the Big Blue Boat by Philip C. Stead
Best of Philip C. Stead
9th out of 11 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrea Wilkinson
Jul 26, 2013 Andrea Wilkinson rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
Unusual story that wasn't terribly appealing after my first read through. Afterward, I found out this is a true story Philip Stead grew up with because it's about his Grandpa Jack.
Mandy McHenry
Nov 09, 2010 Mandy McHenry rated it liked it
Shelves: books-for-kids
Cute pictures. Could be a good jumping off point for kids who are picky eaters. But I was seriously bugged that the kids call their parents by their first names. Too weird.
Kellie Deruwe
Nov 30, 2013 Kellie Deruwe rated it really liked it
Cute cute book! I always love books by Phillip Christian Stead. His books are so fun and creative. This book is about a man named Wild Man Jack who cannot stand creamed tuna fish and peas on toast. Several people throughout the book ask Wild Man Jack what he will do if Mama cooks creamed tuna fish and peas on toast and he replies with something like "I'll scream and complain 'cause I hate it the most!" All of Jacks responses in the book are funny and will make you laugh.

I think I found this book
Samantha
Wild Man Jack especially hates the dish creamed tuna fish and peas on toast so he makes a vow every day of the week explaining what he'd do if Mama Jane made that dish, and makes good on every promise.

I liked the mixed media artwork, but the story was just okay for me.

PreK-2.
Natalie  Sapkarov Harvey
LOVE the illustrations!
Benjamin Elliott
Apr 24, 2016 Benjamin Elliott rated it really liked it
I love the last few books this author has done so I was excited to go back and read this one when I found it. It feels smaller, like a first book, and he has definitely grown since this. Still, it was fun, and I enjoyed it.
Nielson
Nov 18, 2009 Nielson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
In this fun, country-feel book, Wild Man Jack's least favorite dish is creamed tuna fish and peas on toast. All of his kids are wondering what he will do if Mama Jane makes it for him....and in the end he does all that he says he will and more! The intricate collage artwork in this book is so unique but it is incredible! For parents out there who have kids with phobias to food, you will LOVE this book!
Kelly
May 03, 2011 Kelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
I found this to be odd. Children would probably like it as much of the text repeats itself, so they could repeat along if one was reading this aloud. The title pulled me in - but the story well it was different.
Marisa
Nov 22, 2009 Marisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-shelf
My daughter thought this book was really funny. The only thing I didn't like was the use of the word hate because it is a word I try to teach my children not to use.
Kelly
Feb 19, 2011 Kelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
I thought the pictures blended into each other too much and they were too messy. But the story is silly and kind of fun. Good repetition, too.
Tracy
Apr 04, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it
I can so identify with Wild Man Jack. I am not partial to any kind of creamed meat.
Cathy
Jul 12, 2012 Cathy rated it it was ok
I read about a new book by this author and found this early book as only okay.
Marina
Dec 06, 2011 Marina rated it liked it
Odd story but cute illustrations.
Gail
Dec 18, 2010 Gail rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
Did not appeal to my three year old.
Jason
Oct 26, 2013 Jason rated it it was amazing
Yuck!

Can't wait to read this!
John
Mar 09, 2010 John added it
Seemingly good read for K-2
Martha
May 03, 2012 Martha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-books
I love these illustrations!
Aaron
Aaron rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Jennifer King
Jennifer King marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Trey Veazey
Trey Veazey marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Shonna
Shonna rated it did not like it
Feb 10, 2016