Start by marking “Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast” as Want to Read:
Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast

Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating Details ·  80 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Wild Man Jack isn't easy to please. Especially when Mama Jane serves him the one dish that he detests. Each day his children ask what he'll do if it arrives at the table, and each day he comes up with an even more colorful response. Not until Friday do things get really out of hand. Philip Christian Stead's call and response text and intricate collage art bring food and ...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast

Andrea Wilkinson
Jul 26, 2013 Andrea Wilkinson rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
Unusual story that wasn't terribly appealing after my first read through. Afterward, I found out this is a true story Philip Stead grew up with because it's about his Grandpa Jack.
Mandy McHenry
Nov 09, 2010 Mandy McHenry rated it liked it
Shelves: books-for-kids
Cute pictures. Could be a good jumping off point for kids who are picky eaters. But I was seriously bugged that the kids call their parents by their first names. Too weird.
Megan Marvel
What kind of story is this? And why are the kids always happy? And why doesn't his wife know it's the meal he hates the most after he's said it the whole week? And why does he do all those weird things? This book makes no sense.
Kellie Deruwe
Nov 30, 2013 Kellie Deruwe rated it really liked it
Cute cute book! I always love books by Phillip Christian Stead. His books are so fun and creative. This book is about a man named Wild Man Jack who cannot stand creamed tuna fish and peas on toast. Several people throughout the book ask Wild Man Jack what he will do if Mama cooks creamed tuna fish and peas on toast and he replies with something like "I'll scream and complain 'cause I hate it the most!" All of Jacks responses in the book are funny and will make you laugh.

I think I found this book
Nielson
Nov 18, 2009 Nielson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
In this fun, country-feel book, Wild Man Jack's least favorite dish is creamed tuna fish and peas on toast. All of his kids are wondering what he will do if Mama Jane makes it for him....and in the end he does all that he says he will and more! The intricate collage artwork in this book is so unique but it is incredible! For parents out there who have kids with phobias to food, you will LOVE this book!
Kelly
May 03, 2011 Kelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
I found this to be odd. Children would probably like it as much of the text repeats itself, so they could repeat along if one was reading this aloud. The title pulled me in - but the story well it was different.
Samantha
Wild Man Jack especially hates the dish creamed tuna fish and peas on toast so he makes a vow every day of the week explaining what he'd do if Mama Jane made that dish, and makes good on every promise.

I liked the mixed media artwork, but the story was just okay for me.

PreK-2.
Benjamin Elliott
Apr 24, 2016 Benjamin Elliott rated it really liked it
I love the last few books this author has done so I was excited to go back and read this one when I found it. It feels smaller, like a first book, and he has definitely grown since this. Still, it was fun, and I enjoyed it.
Marisa
Nov 22, 2009 Marisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-shelf
My daughter thought this book was really funny. The only thing I didn't like was the use of the word hate because it is a word I try to teach my children not to use.
Kelly
Feb 19, 2011 Kelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
I thought the pictures blended into each other too much and they were too messy. But the story is silly and kind of fun. Good repetition, too.
John
John rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2010
Amy Eikenberry
Amy Eikenberry rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2012
Stephanie Croaning
Stephanie Croaning rated it it was ok
Jun 01, 2015
Aisha
Aisha rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2013
David
David rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2013
Colby Sharp
Colby Sharp rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2012
Emma
Emma rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it did not like it
Jul 06, 2016
Toffer Lehnherr
Toffer Lehnherr rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Lena
Lena rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2014
Megan Elmquist
Megan Elmquist rated it it was ok
Aug 27, 2012
Sarah rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was ok
Nov 14, 2015
Dylan Teut
Dylan Teut rated it it was ok
May 28, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2014
Dianna
Dianna rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2016
Yara
Yara rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2013
Brendon
Brendon rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Zoe
Zoe rated it did not like it
Jan 10, 2012