Start by marking “Долината на куклите” as Want to Read:
Долината на куклите

Долината на куклите

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  35,266 Ratings  ·  2,531 Reviews
Единственият роман в класацията „Топ 10 на най-продаваните книги на всички времена” , „The Top 10 of Everything”, Russell Ash

Историята обхваща двайсет години от живота на три млади жени. Те се срещат и стават приятелки, когато пристигат в „Голямата ябълка”, Ню Йорк, за да отхапят част от нея за себе си.
Три героини – три различни съдби. Жени, които постигат всичко в живота
Published July 20th 2009 by ИК Кръгозор (first published 1966)

Jessica
Sep 26, 2007 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lindsay lohan, britney spears, et al
If you haven't read this book, I suggest you quit dicking around on the internet and do absolutely whatever it takes to snag yourself a copy this instant. Granted it's probably not for everyone, but I gotta tell you, this is seriously among THE MOST VASTLY ENTERTAINING books I have ever read in my life.

Imagine you are lying in a silk-sheeted waterbed next to a vast swimming pool, smoking a ridiculously long cigarette, wearing an Italian bikini and extremely large, expensive hat, and you've just
Paul Bryant
Apr 02, 2008 Paul Bryant rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I bought a copy for 10p at the Oxfam shop. I returned to my space age bachelor pad, switched on my lava lamp, reclined on my La-Z-Boy (late 1970s Magic Fingers model), mixed a bright puce cocktail made out of three parts flamingos and ten parts vermouth with amusing parasols stuffed in the tall tall glass, then I threw on that cd where some genius put modern beats to Gregorian chants, and with my ultramarine-dyed and topiaried poodle named Gregoire gazing raptly up at me I read up to page 100 an ...more
Kaion
Apr 12, 2012 Kaion rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern, school
Or How To Write An American Classic

This is going to sound crazy, but hear me out: The Valley of the Dolls is totally like The Great Gatsby.

One is a culturally-important, best-selling, drug-fueled, homoerotic classic with several unfortunate movie adaptations; the other is well, a culturally-important, best-selling, drug-fueled, homoerotic classic with this gem in it:

"Give me back my hair, you little bitch," Helen yelled. "It cost me three hundred bucks!"... "Hey--what the hell are you doing?" H
Gregsamsa
Aug 13, 2013 Gregsamsa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The dude who checks books out to me at my library gave an arched eyebrow and a curled lip at me when I checked this masterpiece out. I promptly flipped the book over with a satisfying *whomp* and pointed out: "Uh, it's put out by Grove Press, ever heard of them?!"

Sheesh, the philistines I have to deal with daily! Just makes ya need somethin' to relax with: say, a handful of benzodiazepines, a mug of ice cream and The Captain, the latest issue of The Baffler, and some Esquivel on the Hi-Fi.

Ahh, t
Joe Valdez
Apr 19, 2014 Joe Valdez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-general
Some novels have baggage. Valley of the Dolls, Jacqueline Susann's 1966 bestseller, arrived like a Lear jet rolling into Aspen and unloading a cargo hold full of contraband. This rags to riches tale chronicling the show business rise and fall of three women features nightlife, penthouses, virgins, abortion, drug overdoses, a fight in the ladies' room and the search for love, all doled out in the most mundane language possible. Contrary to my expectations, I ate it up.

Unfolding over twenty years
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Zzzzzzzzzz.....Valley of the Dulls is more like it.

One hundred pages was all I could stand of endless cheesy dialogue between a bunch of sleazy people with no personalities. Watch the movie instead. At least it's bad enough to be entertaining.
Magdalena
Jun 23, 2016 Magdalena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Despite being a classic had I before I got asked if I wanted to participate in the blog tour never read nor seen the movie version of Valley of the Dolls. But, since I'm a daring person when it comes to books did I not hesitate to read it, despite not knowing much about the book. I do not know how big a hit the book was in Sweden when it was published, but I have never really heard that much about the book, could be because I was not born when it was published. So, it was interesting to read a b ...more
Mitch
Aug 25, 2008 Mitch rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like the bad movie adaptation
This book is BAD! Which is why I love it so much. Susann had no idea how to write a book.

Susann's shallowness and immaturity (you get the impression a 14-year-old wrote this) is rampant throughout the book. No one has real feelings. People get married as business contracts. All men cheat; women never do. Blonds are icy and cold. Brunettes are smart and nurturing, and only women with glossy blue-black hair are sexy and passionate (Susann's hair was black).

Her pacing in the book is just wacky. O
Elle!
May 07, 2012 Elle! rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Light readers not looking for any value.
Recommended to Elle! by: Friend
A trashy treasure of a chick lit novel.

I'm so guilty..... For three things.

1. I liked how melodramatic this horrible written novel was.
2. I could feel my brain cells dwindling as I read it.
3. I stayed up for nights reading this book.

Errrr.........I'm very embarrassed but I'll give this a five, for enjoying it 100% percent , all the way to the sleazy cliche oversexed men to the dull cliche girls. I like it! Not for the literary stand -point of the novel because we all know there isn't any in thi
Megan
Jan 11, 2008 Megan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in high school... goodness knows why. I didn't particularly enjoy it, though it does keep moving along and kind of holds you in town hoping that eventually things will go right for the characters or that they will have some insight into their lives and take a little responsibility or face up and change eventually... but it never happens. This has got to be one of the most depressing books I've ever read. Unfortunately I can't even really say it presents women in a bad light or unfair ...more
Sally
What an amazing book - I couldn't put it down. I had always envisaged this as old-school chick lit (and had avoided it until Virago released their delightful 30th Anniversary covers and I had to buy it for that) but it really isn't - it is a scathing attack on how women are used and abused by the entertainment media and spat right back out again while men are revered and protected. It is certainly bleak but the way the book is written with such clinical passion (yes I know - an oxymoron but apt) ...more
Ana
Nov 21, 2016 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Everyone has an identity. One of their own, and one for show.”

photo tumblr_mmabntKXT11qc5giio1_500_zpsfd3wjzm8.gif

photo tumblr_mrgmhs7anu1s7pipjo1_r1_500_zpsoi3uotht.gif
Robin
Jan 07, 2008 Robin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: insomniacs, masochists, glamour pusses
Back cover proclaimed that it was brilliant. Was in fact rubbish. Lyon Burke is basically a cardboard cutout, yet apparently everyone's in love with him. What. The narrative is bad enough to be bad, but not bad enough to be funny. You spend pretty much the first half of the book wondering when something actually interesting is going to happen, and then when it does, you've lost any and all interest in the people that things are happening to. The only character I liked was Helen. On and on and on ...more
Sonja Arlow
Starting this book was like going to the opening of a new nightclub.

Everything is glitzy and glamorous, everyone is happy and smiling, there is a VERY attractive barman helping you to the most delicious drinks all night. Your new red stilettos get loads of complements and you dance the night away with energy to spare.

Finishing this book was like seeing this same nightclub the next morning.

The air is stale and smells slightly of vomit, the tables are sticky with spilled drinks, the carpet is ful
ellemaddy
I declare this book extremely 1000% Ridiculous & problematic.

Is this book readable? Yes if you can ignore all the shitty characters, the shitty plot, and the shitty ending. All the characters act like they’re 12 year olds on crack, they all whined and complained about everything, throwing tantrums when they don’t get what they want, the women think they can only be happy when they’re married and have a man supporting them or when they’re thin, young, and famous. The men only care for the wom
Suvi
Susann knows how to sink her claws into the reader. Just when things seem to get better for our women and the future shines bright in the distance, something happens and the tunnel closes. Then some turn of events gets you believing again, and the roller coaster starts again and again and again... The circle of life turns into a circle of dolls and resentment.

Valley of the Dolls isn't a mushy romance that sinks into an abyss of paper-tasting plastic characters, who seem to melt under a tighter s
Briynne
Well. I have conflicting opinions about this book. First, and most obviously, this was almost entirely meant to be a mental vacation after the insanity of planning and executing a wedding in 6 months. In that capacity, "The Valley of the Dolls" shone brilliantly. I was highly entertained by the book and the easy trashiness was somehow comforting, as it always is.

But I couldn't help actually reading the book whilst I was busy regaining balance in my chi or whatever. It's an irritating habit of m
Alina
Feb 08, 2009 Alina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enter endless debauchery! I can see why people put up such a stink about Valley Of The Dolls when it was published. The book makes me happy to not have fame.

As an example of roman à clef, friends close to the author suspected that Susann wrote this book based her own experience, Ethel Merman, Judy Garland, Carol Landis, JFK, Monroe, Dean Martin etc. You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried. If you look up the real biographies, there are many parallels to the book.

Hollywood was and still see
Taylor
Reading Valley of the Dolls is akin to eating a pint of your favorite ice cream, in that it's wonderful and delicious down to the last bit, but it can come with a bit of a hangover if you start to think about what you just did.

This is the story of Anne, Neely, and Jennifer, and their struggles to survive as women - women who want love, careers, a comfortable standard of living, etc., mostly in New York, but also in LA, and primarily in the stage and film businesses. It's gossipy, brutal, and fun
Kate
Jan 11, 2010 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So, I finally got around to reading this one (I got it out of the library) and I must admit the book was slightly better than the movie (which I also borrowed from the library). However, when I found this poem based on the movie, I thought it pretty much summed up all my thoughts on both the book and the movie. Plus, I don't think I could of said it better myself:

“Things to Do in Valley of the Dolls (The Movie)” by David Trinidad

Move to New York.
Lose your virginity.
Become a star.
Send money to
Jessica
Jun 13, 2007 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book at least three times. I must have read it at a very impressionable age (the first time), because it has burned itself in my memory. I love it; and every other time I've read it, it's been a guilty pleasure for me - just like reading US Weekly or InTouch magazine. Its a wondrous piece of thinly veiled fiction, chronicling the glamorous lives of three up-and-coming New York/Hollywood ladies. "Sparkle, Neely! Sparkle!" Jacqueline Susann is my heroine.

Lena
Jul 22, 2011 Lena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I first became interested in this classic piece of scandalous literary trash after learning that its author, in her zeal to promote this book, was responsible for the creation of the modern book tour.

I wasn't entirely certain what to expect, but was surprised to find it was actually a pretty decent read. It tells the story of Anne Welles, a reserved New England woman whose primary act of independent thought in the post WWII years is to reject an assumed marriage and expected life in a small town
Amanda
Goodness, this is a DEPRESSING book. Just... gah.

But it's great. I mean, the writing is sharp and easy to read, but not overly simplistic. It did bother me that there were so many slurs-- I spent half the thing cringing-- but I guess it's authentic for the time period and the way the characters would have spoken. I feel like this is more complex than a lot of novels, because it really does go into the inner lives of the three leads, and they really are all shades of grey-- with Jennifer probably
Casey
If I'm going to rate this book by quality of writing, I'd have to give it 2 stars. This book is full of the kind of pedestrian writing that you see in books like Trading Up, which I read for about 100 pages in high school before I get fed up with the writing and passed it on to someone with more plebeian tastes. Seriously guys, it's real bad.

However, the trashiness of the plot made this book so fun to read despite the bad writing and campiness, which means I'd rate it 4 stars based on pure enjoy
Rebecca McNutt
This classic tells of the darker side of the entertainment lifestyle and still carries a positive note throughout. Definitely an amazing book. :)
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Colleen Fauchelle
I am the same age as this book. So I thought it was time to read it. My husband wasn't to sure about me reading it but I loved it. wish I had read it sooner.
The book starts in september 1945 with Anne moving from her home town to New York. She gets a job very quickly and because of her looks a man. However she is very independent and dosn't want to be married and tied down. Anne is lovely and gentle and kind and through out the whole book that dosn't change.
Neely is young and crazy with a lovely
Michael
Aug 18, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-classic, 1960s
Pills! Pills will fix everything. Known as dolls, these red, yellow or green pills all serve a purpose. Although the more frequently you take them the more tolerance you build up, requiring more pills in a vicious cycle. Valley of the Dolls is a 1966 cult classic written by Jacqueline Susann, exploring the world of pop culture and Hollywood. This is a roman à clef that explores the life of three friends; Anne, Jennifer and Neely and their aspirations in life.

Jacqueline Susann is very blunt in th
Heather Duff
Jul 06, 2016 Heather Duff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I originally bought this book maybe about ten years ago, it didn't have the cover that it has today but it had the most eye-catching cover with a big glittery pair of lips, white teeth and in between those teeth, a big pink pill. As soon as I saw the cover, I had to have it.

I find it hard to believe this book is 50 years old, you could literally take any of the characters and plonk them right in this moment in time, of course they might need a few more tech gadgets but it is still a book about w
  • Peyton Place
  • My Lai 4: A Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath
  • The Vanishing Newspaper: Saving Journalism in the Information Age
  • Novels, 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born
  • Swimming with Giants: My Encounters with Whales, Dolphins and Seals
  • The Mojo Collection: The Ultimate Music Companion
  • The Peace of Nicias and the Sicilian Expedition (Peloponnesian War)
  • Maurice Guest
  • Pushkin: A Biography
  • The Best of Everything
  • New Poems of Emily Dickinson
  • Secrets of the Flesh: A Life of Colette
  • What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
  • The Velvet Underground & Nico
  • We Owe You Nothing: Punk Planet: The Collected Interviews
  • My Life As Author And Editor
  • Monsieur Proust
  • The Last Empire: Essays 1992-2000
Jacqueline Susann was one of the most successful writers in the history of American publishing. Her first novel, Valley of the Dolls, published in 1966, is one of the best-selling books of all time. When The Love Machine was published in 1969, it too became an immediate #1 bestseller and held that position for five months. When Once is Not Enough was published in 1973, it also moved to the top of ...more
More about Jacqueline Susann...

“I've got a library copy of Gone with the Wind, a quart of milk and all these cookies. Wow! What an orgy!” 943 likes
“Never judge anyone by another's opinions. We all have different sides that we show to different people.” 149 likes