Albatross

Albatross

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  37 reviews
What's so cool about nice guys?

Everyone at Tess's new school warns her that Micah is bad news—a heartbreaker. But she can't ignore her attraction to this brooding, brilliant, friendless emo hottie who can turn on the charm—or heart-shredding scorn—at a moment's notice. Starting over in a new town after her parents' split isn't easy for Tess, and Micah feels like her first...more
Published 2010 by Flux

Linger by Maggie StiefvaterThe Reckoning by Kelley ArmstrongCrescendo by Becca FitzpatrickSpirit Bound by Richelle MeadBlood Promise by Richelle Mead
2010 YA novels (part 2)
86th out of 136 books — 312 voters
Spirit Bound by Richelle MeadLast Sacrifice by Richelle MeadClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsThe Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong
YA Novels of 2010
369th out of 622 books — 2,652 voters

More lists with this book...

Donna
Here is what the press release that came with the book had to say about this title:

Despite pop culture's obsession with brooding, supernatural antiheroes like Edward Cullen, one of the most common critiques of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series is the unhealthy relationship between Bella and Edward - that Edward is a bully and Bella is a doormat. Yet teen girls thrive on this unbalanced relationship dynamic. Perhaps this is because they so rarely find an alternative in the literature of today.

A...more
Suzanne
After reading a review of this, I requested it for the Peach Committee, and I wasn't disappointed. In fact, I felt compelled to finish the story in just a couple of my coffee-fueled morning reads. I think most teen girls, maybe some boys, will identify with the painful crush depicted here and may even discover tools to fight weak and insidious people who get off on hurting and undermining others.

Tess and her mother leave Chicago and a husband-father who ran their family, not with an iron fist bu...more
Sonja
Heather
This book really put destructive relationships into the forefront and how damaging they can be. This reminded me a lot of the destructive relationship in Twilight between Bella and Edward. That's one of the things I didn't like about the Twilight series. I felt their relationship was very destructive and not healthy at all. And a lot of young girls may believe that's what they want....

This book shows the appeal of guys like Edward, dark and brooding and controlling, but how that is really destru...more
Steph Campbell
I don't even know where to begin with this book. I've heard ALBATROSS called the "anti-Twilight," and that makes sense. (Disclaimer: I totes loved Twilight.) But it takes that co-dependent, a bit unbalanced relationship and strips it of its paranormal bits and shows what a relationship with some of those characteristics might look like in the real world. The writing is clean and simple and the concept is all sorts of brilliant. The relationship is destructive and creepy and unsettling. And also,...more
Katie
I really had no idea what to expect when I started Albatross. I hadn't read any reviews and the summary didn't give much away. I kind of liked not knowing what was coming and in the end I really liked the book.

Tess is new in town. After a rough divorce she moves to a new town in Michigan with her mom, one where she knows no one and doesn't really care. All that changes when she meets Micah. He is unlike anyone Tess has ever known and she is immediately drawn to him. Despite everyone warning her...more
Bookworm1858
Summary: Tess has just moved to a new town with her mother, leaving behind her abusive dad. She feels lost and alone at school until she meets Micah, the brilliant and gorgeous guy who soon comes to consume her thoughts.

*Spoilers ahead*

Thoughts: I had seen several positive reviews of this throughout the blogosphere so when I noticed it at my library, I snatched it up and read it fairly quickly. It is not my usual type of book as it deals with relationship abuse; Tess's dad and Micah emotionally...more
Brandi Kosiner (Blkosiner's Book Blog)
I finished this book in one day, and it would have been one sitting if life didn't interfere. I connected automatically with Tess. I guess I have a depression that I can't really shake and some of her words really struck a cord with me. I feel like I've lost some of the people I'm closest with, whether from death, moving away, or just drifting apart.
...I felt like I drifted through the day without ever actually connecting with anyone, like I was a ghost of myself?
There was also another quote...more
Jeanna
May 02, 2010 Jeanna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Tanna Ray
A book about a girl named Tess; her parents had a messy split and Tess was tossed around without any thought of her feelings. Tess now had a new life, a new school, new surroundings, and new boys to meet and friends to make.Tess was lurred in by a a bad boy named Micah. He was known as the heartbreaker through the grapevine, but Tess didn't take anyones advice. He first obsticle was to get Micah away from a girl named Daisy who acted like Micah was her own property. Though Tess didn't let this g...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Randstostipher "tallnlankyrn" Nguyen for TeensReadToo.com

Tess was trying to make it work in her new town of Grand River, Michigan. She never wanted to move from Chicago, where her old life, boyfriend, and best friend remained. However, it was best for her mom after the divorce from her father.

Part of making it work, which in turn makes her mother happy, meant doing things that Tess would normally do if she was back in Chicago, like participating in the solo and ensemble competitions....more
Chrissie (is stuck in the 19th century)
3.5

Mildly surprised that this was a good read. The incessant "Voice" bugged me sometimes, but overall the message is clear-cut and precise. This novel actually reminded me of the underrated Dreamland by Sarah Dessen, in which the protagonist struggled throughout the story to find her identity.

The heroine, Tess, started out annoying me (just a personal preference) but I think that that was the point of the story. She's this very meek heroine who inside is a very strong lady but just doesn't know...more
Lisa (A Life Bound By Books)
WOW....

4 Stars - It took me awhile to write this review after reading this book, because the story affected me so much. I still don't think this review does it justice. I think you'll need to read it to understand what I mean.

What's scary about this book? That there's people out there like this.... it gave me shivers and really made me think about how there are some cruel people out there, come big or small, old or young.

When Tess moves with her mother to a new town and starts at a new school,...more
Emily Crow
Tess, whose parents are getting divorced, moves from Chicago to Michigan. She's off to a slow start in the friends department, but the mysterious boy Micah gives her something to obsess about. He's so interesting, and intense, and unavailable, especially as he already kind of has a girlfriend, Daisy. But he calls Daisy the albatross around his neck. So maybe, just maybe, if Tess keeps hanging on his every word and hoping he'll call her, he'll stop being mean and snotty and reciprocate her feelin...more
Stacie
Jul 09, 2010 Stacie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who has ever been in an emotionally abusive relationship
Shelves: young-adult, fiction
Caterina Picone
Mysterious, exotic, peculiar, enticing, intense, attractive, geeky, Micah is just that. Tess views Micah as an irresistible enigma, that some great force, greater than herself, is pulling her towards. Although Albatross is a relatively thin novel there is much more to it than many larger novels. Josie Bloss discusses many teen insecurities, problems, and the darker side of relationships. In the beginning Micah starts out as the seemingly perfect boyfriend, but as the relationship grows so does T...more
Yanna
This was a awesome comfort read! Enjoyed it very much, taught a great lesson about life. Know your worth in this world.
Kate
I read Albatross right after reading Faking Faith, partially to see if it would be equally unique in its approach and partially because I was in a reading rut and feeling uninspired. Albatross explores an emotionally abusive relationship through the eyes of Tess, who falls for brilliant, good-looking, and uber-creepy Micah. I guess the object of this book was to teach kids what an abusive relationship looks like so it can be avoided, and it certainly does that. Beyond that, it fell flat for me.
Alissa Bach
Not all abusive relationships are physical. Some are all about head games. Albatross is a detailed look at one such relationship. New girl in town and all-around good-girl Tess falls hard for loner Micah...and she stays around even when he ignores her, insults her, guilt trips her, and hurts her feelings. Disturbing, in a way. I just can't understand why Tess, who is obviously smart, put up with Micah for nearly 200 pages when she should have kicked him to the curb after the first 10.
Ceylan Pelin
The author mentioned some good points about repressive, dominant and in the meantime possessive fathers and boyfriends. Another point was that Tess was attracted to a boyfriend (which is actually not a boyfriend) who bears some characteristic resemblances with his father. The author has analyzed well these factors with flashbacks to the relationship between Tess and his father. Maybe the book could be a little bit longer and detailed but that’s fine. It was a short and nice reading.
Amy
[Won in a contest from Daphne Unfeasible (aka Kate Schafer Testerman of KT Literary):]

This was definitely not what I was expecting at first! I was imagining some kind of omg-he's-so-hot-and-perfect story. Really, it's about the twisted way people can make you feel and how you need to find your own strength to survive without them.

A book for anyone who has ever been in a bad relationship.
I felt such empathy for the main character and her mom. Suppressing your true thoughts because you're afraid someone will ditch you is so painfully true to high school that it was tough to take sometimes. Especially in boy/girl dynamics. Realistic and satisfying, easy to relate to, and I also felt such relief that I haven't been around any albatrosses of my own or others' making in many years!!
Suzanne
Interestingly, this is the first book I've read in which Facebook is a plot point. Bloss totally nails the potential angst in "friending" and IMing, as well as in high school relationships in general. I found the characters 100% unique and believable, and the sustained tension kept me reading. I finished this book in 24 hours. This woman can write!
Emma
Wonderful to have a book like this added to the YA genre. Bloss gets at some real truths about male-female relationships. Even when a guy isn't abusive like Micah, girls often feel that they have to bend over backwards to be worthy of a guy. The end seemed a little to easy, but a fun, interesting read.
laaaaames
Ag, closing it and putting it away at the end of my lunch hour was brutal.

Really liked this one, even though reading it was horrifying at times. It's rough seeing someone make bad choices, tougher sometimes when you see how you could have been led to make the same one.

(read: 13)
Kaitlyn
Wow. What an awesome book! These characters were so realistic! Micah scared the hell outta me! He was such a well written character! I cant get over how believable these characters are. The writing is top quality too! I enjoyed this much much more than faking faith.
Chris
Not bad. I was that sort of girl in high school, loving the boys who didn't love me back, although it was never as destructive as this. It was a pretty good story, a quick read. Hopefully it will empower some confused girls.
Lizzette
I totally dislike this book. The main character is manipulated by a freak guy and her father is such an urggh.. I can't say it here for respect of the author and readers.
Turquoise
it took me an hour to finish this book. I liked how the character ended up standing up for herself.It is a perfect book for any girl who enjoys reading young adult.
Brandee Terry
I loved this book. In the first 3/4 of the book I was so angry at Tess, even yelling at her. But in the end she redeemed herself.
  • Stranded
  • The Beautiful Between
  • The Lighter Side of Life and Death
  • Indigo Blues
  • Rich and Mad
  • The Sight: (Two Novels: Premonitions and Disappearance)
  • Screwed: The Undeclared War Against the Middle Class - And What We Can Do about It
  • The Absolute Value of -1
  • Tagged
  • Fade to Blue
Josie Bloss grew up in East Lansing, Michigan. She attended the University of Michigan, where she was a member of the best college marching band in the country and a staff reporter for the Michigan Daily.

After obtaining a degree in Political Science, she tried to decide if she wanted to be a lawyer while wrangling paper in several large Chicago law firms that are attempting to take over the world....more
More about Josie Bloss...
Faking Faith Band Geek Love Band Geeked Out ALBATROSS