Start by marking “Flying Drunk: The True Story of a Northwest Airlines Flight, Three Drunk Pilots, and One Man's Fight for Redemption” as Want to Read:

March 8, 1990: An intoxicated three-man crew, including Flight Engineer Joseph Balzer, fly a Northwest Airlines Boeing 727 with 91 passengers aboard from Fargo, North Dakota to Minneapolis, Minnesota.
July 25, 1990: All three pilots stand trial for flying a commercial airliner while under the influence of alcohol; all three are convicted and sent to federal prison. July 26,
Published July 28th 2009 by Savas Beatie (first published June 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Flying Drunk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flying Drunk

Ladiibbug
May 13, 2010 Ladiibbug rated it really liked it
Non-Fiction

The complete book title says it all. I heard about this book on TV awhile back and only vaguely remembered hearing about this years ago in the news. I was shocked to hear that one of the pilots was flying a commercial airplane again (actually, according to the book, at least two of the three pilots are flying airliners again).

After reading the complete book, the author convinced me beyond any doubt that he had earned a second chance at flying a commercial airplane. The rejections and
Tim
Jan 05, 2011 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tim by: Joseph Balzer
Authored by my uncle, this book is an absolute must-read for anyone that has ever personally dealt with addiction, or known someone who has. Or, heck, if you're just curious to know what happened of that pilot you heard about on the news in the early 90s that was busted for flying drunk, this book has all your answers.
Chase
Feb 28, 2015 Chase rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up today after browsing the aviation section ay my local library and I couldn't put it down. I literally came home and read the entire thing in one sitting. It is an excellent story of someone who did wrong and overcame the consequences and personal obstacles we face in our lives.
Sgilbert
Aug 10, 2012 Sgilbert rated it really liked it
This was recommended to me by a student so hopefully it will be as good as he promised.

And it was. A true account of a pilot who was convicted of being drunk while flying. This also makes the reader think long and hard about alcoholism, getting on an airplane and incarceration. Quite the impact.
Amy Hearting
Apr 03, 2011 Amy Hearting rated it really liked it
I think this book impacted me the most because it brought to life that your entire life can be changed in an instant. One decision can change years of planning and dream chasing for not only you but your loved ones. Good book....looked more into alcoholism after I read it.
Tammy
Aug 01, 2009 Tammy rated it really liked it
Extremely compelling. I found this book interesting throughout and was really drawn into Joe's story.
Candy Greenway
Feb 25, 2016 Candy Greenway rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure which pilot is telling the truth. Since they were both drunk at the time, I guess we'll never know.
Shauna
Jun 23, 2010 Shauna rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous book of a man who gets knocked down by a bad decision. How he deals with the consequences by relying on God and not giving up. Loved this book
Joel Roggenkamp
Joel Roggenkamp rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2016
Eric
Eric rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2014
martin napoli
martin napoli rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Leigh
Leigh rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Lord Kai
Lord Kai rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2010
Erin
Erin rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2012
Matt Velure
Matt Velure rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Kjes
Kjes rated it it was ok
Frank
Frank rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2012
David Burns
David Burns rated it liked it
Rick Lopes
Rick Lopes rated it it was amazing
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
May 23, 2013
The Book Garden
The Book Garden rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Becky Bradshaw
Becky Bradshaw rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2016
John Dorcey
John Dorcey rated it really liked it
Laura Ritchie
Laura Ritchie rated it did not like it
Aug 02, 2013
Spectre
Spectre rated it liked it
Bruce Baker
Feb 25, 2016 Bruce Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone struggling with an addiction.
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Sarah Jasinski
Sarah Jasinski rated it liked it
« previous 1 3 next »
Joseph Balzer is a pilot for American Airlines with more than 15,000 hours of flight experience. He has a Master's Degree in Aerospace Education and is also an inspirational speaker, traveling around the country speaking to pilots and other groups on the dangers of alcohol and other addictions, bringing his audience to laughter and tears with his powerful message of hope.
Joe lives in Tennessee wi
More about Joseph Balzer...