Start by marking “The Prisoner” as Want to Read:
The Prisoner

The Prisoner

2049. Earth's prisons are shut down and all inmates placed in massive hibernation tanks. In the ten years since then, no one has broken out…until now.

When prisoners check into Washington D.C.'s maximum security "sugar cube," they don't check out. Here lie suspended not just the planet's most dangerous criminals, but also half a million so-called "center inmates"—troubleso
Published October 27th 2009 by Spectra (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Prisoner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prisoner

Renee
Nov 11, 2009 Renee rated it it was amazing
Its really hard to review this book without giving too much away, but I'll do my best.
It's 2049 & Earth's prisons are shut down, all inmates placed in hibernation tanks. When prisoners check into Washington D.C.'s maximum security 'sugar cube', they don't check out. Within this new system lie not only the planet's most dangerous criminals, but also half a million people whose only offense is to challenge those in power.

After pulling off a harrowing escape, Laurel Cole and her team must el
Rita Webb
Nov 16, 2009 Rita Webb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi, read-in-2009
I could smell it. I could see the rats, the roaches, the "shit-cicles," the fatbergs, the nasty hair balls... I could feel the grime on my skin, and when Laurel thought she'd never be able to get the sewer off, I felt the same way--even though I wasn't really the one in the sewers.

My pulse quickened, knowing that Nikola was just a few steps behind us--er, I mean them. From the beginning to the end, the story is fast paced and exciting. The plot is well formed, and the characters are rich in dept
Wendy
Nov 05, 2009 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mytery-thrillers
Terrific read!

Imagine that you were forced to participate in your own demise; that you were told to "remain calm" while you prepped yourself to go headfirst into a tank that would be your coffin for an indefinite amount of time. What if your name was purposely lost due to a sociopath's personal vandeta, and you were scheduled to never leave the tank alive?

I'd reccomend this book to anyone who likes adventure in the midst of deceit and power. A group of unlikely regular visionaries take on a cor
Henry
Dec 01, 2009 Henry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
In the near future, prisons are shutdown and replaced by a new technology that allows human hibernation. What seems at first like the perfect solution to the costly and ineffective penal system hides a dark secret: the corrupt all powerful agency in charge of the system is placing people illegally in its tanks. A group of heroes sets out to expose the truth by showing the world undeniable proof of the conspiracy. All they have to do is locate and break out an illegal prisoner...

"The Prisoner" is
Michael Keyton
Mar 20, 2010 Michael Keyton rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book on many levels: I'd like to think of Carlos as a friend and as such it's both intriguing and pleasurable reading another writer's work.

The Prisoner is a quickly paced thriller set in the near future where criminals are dealt with in an innovative way. The book also offers the reader a wealth of arcane detail that fans of Frederick Forsyth will lap up, along with a beautiful, worldly wise cynicism.

If I had any criticism at all, it is perhaps that I found it difficult to beli
Susan Griscom
Jun 15, 2010 Susan Griscom rated it it was amazing
Never before have I ever wanted to cheer for a prison escape. Drawn in from the very beginning to the very end, The Prisoner takes us beyond the normal prison cell, to the depths of the sewers where you could smell and see the stench as his characters trudged through. More than just a prison break, but a yearning of a daughter to know her father and the desire of many to help restore justice and end a corrupt system. I love when a book keeps me thinking about it long after I've finished reading, ...more
J.P.
Oct 01, 2011 J.P. rated it did not like it
Susan
Dec 04, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
This novel should come with a caution. Once you pick it up just make sure you have time, because you won't put it down.

As a reader I usually stick to the genres I write in, simply because those are the ones I enjoy. Near future science fiction has never been one of my favorites, but this one might just change my mind. Carlos Cortes' novel is a delight to read, not only for its story but for the details within in. It's obviously well researched, from the prison tanks, to the cognac, to the sewers
Giacomo
Dec 24, 2011 Giacomo rated it really liked it
Carlos Cortes has done it again. The Prisoner grabs you from the first page and starts you down a path of questioning all that we do in society--now, and what might lie ahead. The characters are deep, the plot compelling, and the suspense doesn't stop. As he did in Perfect Circle, Mr. Cortes manages to simplify the most complex technology and explain it to the reader without boring. It is an education as well as a thrill to read his books. I learned about hibernation, the economics of prisons, ...more
Sally Ling
Aug 12, 2013 Sally Ling rated it it was ok
I can't complain because the blurb on the back of the book describes exactly what you get.

While the premise is very interesting, with a concept similar to one used in Minority Report, the execution of the premise and the world building left me disappointed. One significant technological change does not usually occur while all other things remain constant.

The interrelationships of the characters and their wrap up was a bit too pat to be truly satisfying; almost as if there should be a "happily e
Rachelle
Oct 14, 2010 Rachelle rated it liked it
"The Prisoner" takes place in 2059, when criminals are sentenced to hibernation instead of prison. It's a realistic and scary future that briefly touches on the loss of privacy and more limits on freedom of speech. The first half of the book dragged, with most of the action taking place in the sewers and underground. The writing was episodic, and tried to tie in too many secondary/tertiary characters.
Patty Jansen
Dec 27, 2010 Patty Jansen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Holy guacamole! I started off reading this book with a feeling of yeah-right, let's see what this is like. It's not a subject matter that normally gets me excited (hint: there are no aliens in the book), but this book grabbed me by the throat and wouldn't let go. Not being American, I can't vouch for the accuracy of the references to American legal and political situations, but this is a heck of an exciting read.
C.N.
Jan 11, 2010 C.N. rated it it was amazing
The tension building in the book is incredible. Opening with a scene in which a woman is being put into suspended animation for crimes she did not commit, it follows her 'death' and just esculates from there.
Hilary
Nov 27, 2013 Hilary rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf
Interesting concept, but the writing itself just didn't pass muster. The characters tended to be a bit two-dimensional, and I didn't get any connection to them at all. It could've made a great SF/thriller movie though.
Enso
Feb 10, 2012 Enso rated it liked it
This was an entertaining "prison break" kind of novel. I enjoyed the setting though, overall, it was a little predictable.
Erik
Erik rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2013
Barondestructo
Barondestructo rated it liked it
May 06, 2014
RJ
RJ rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2010
Steve McCann
Steve McCann rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2010
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2011
Jodie
Sep 18, 2013 Jodie rated it it was ok
Very visceral. Didn't really connect with any of the character.
key2233445566
key2233445566 rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2011
Tom
Tom rated it liked it
May 13, 2012
red pill junkie
red pill junkie rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2011
Benjamin Buhr
Benjamin Buhr rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2011
T.J. Webb
T.J. Webb rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2009
Sablehawk
Sablehawk rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2013
DeeNeez
DeeNeez rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2014
Txbari
Txbari rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
1976776
I write for the same reason I breathe: to carry on living.

From time to time I post snippets about myself and my work at:

Carlos J Cortes is the author of numerous unpublished novels and one of the World’s least influential people. After the dogged efforts o
More about Carlos J. Cortes...