Start by marking “Man's Search for Himself” as Want to Read:
Man's Search for Himself

Man's Search for Himself

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  945 ratings  ·  27 reviews
"Analyzes life as we are living it, & the analysis is truthful & profound."--New York Times
Loneliness, boredom, emptiness: These are the complaints that Rollo May encountered over & over from his patients. In response, he probes the hidden layers of personality to reveal the core of human integration--a basic & inborn sense of value. Man's Search for Himse
Published October 25th 1982 by Souvenir Press Ltd (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Man's Search for Himself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man's Search for Himself

Ryan
I got this book for 10 cents at a library used book sale. It sat on my book shelf for two years and I picked it up just to flip through it and it couldn't have been a better time. It is exactly what I was looking for, talk about a meaningful coincidence. It was written in the 1950's by the great existential psychologist Rollo May and it is still valid in today’s world. May discusses the importance of becoming your own person and how we find meaning within ourselves. He also talks about the strug ...more
Alexandria
I found this book at the Salvation Army & purchased it for .99 cents, which is probably the least I've ever paid for a book that I would grow to adore. What made me connect with this book most is how timeless it is, the emotions expressed about that time period resonate completely with modern times. I'd reccomend this book to anyone whose at a cross roads in their life & is looking for lit that can shed some light on our internal conflicts with the world around us & our place in it.
Nana
شدني عنوانه كثيرا فهو من الموضوعات التي تستهويني بشدة ....
بدأت بمطالعته أثناء تواجدي بالكلية بعد انتهائي من العمل ويبدو جيدا .... ولكن بعد أن أنهيته أحسست بإرهاق ربما لأنني لم اعتد قراءة مثل هذه الكتب
المعقدة نوعاً ما
استمتعت ببعض أجزاءه وطبقتها على محيطي فتفاعلت معها لكن أكثرها استصعبت علي ربما كان من المبكر قراءة مثل هذا الكتاب لي ولكنها كانت تجربة غنية استفدت منها كما أنني بدافع الفضول تعلمت أكثر عن عقدة أوديب وعقدة أليكترا وصندوق باندورا الذي أشار إليهم ^^
وهذا بعض ما راق لي من عبارات :
في عص
Jeremiah
Published in 1953 outlining mass conformity, threat of nuclear holocaust, absent value system, among other things, cause us to lose touch with who the fuck we are.

Must have been hard to live back then when that was a problem.

The reading of this book coincided with my life changing drastically. But as that guy sings "correlation is not causation."
خدمة المشورة
قرأت ترجمتيه في العربي، الترجمة التالية هي الأفضل:
Megan
This was the first book that came to me in a list of books that have had a profound impact on my life. I was discussing some of my life challenges with my roommate at the time and he pulled this book from his collection and suggested I give it a read. Rollo May's work is very articulate and put on the path to the right questions.
Stella
a good companion for a couple of days, as I'm living the struggle of "what do I like/want to do in life" it made me feel at least that it's not so strange not to know the answer as we seldom experience and assert ourselves.
Acid
Aug 03, 2008 Acid rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone interested in the search for the self
I learned the function of prophetic religion and its conflict with the dogmatic systems of the institution and the way these collide upon the matrix of the self in ever increasing complexities...I also learned that rebellion is a means and not the end in and of itself to a more ethical relationship with the systems that be...here is quote I found to be interesting...."Difficult as the task is, we must accept ourselves and our society where we are, and find our ethical center through a deeper und ...more
Chris Lewis
My therapist told me to read it....life changing stuff. Highly, HIGHLY recommend it!
Jim &
There is no overt theological underpinning to this book. But as I read through the lens of Biblical theology (as best as I could with limited theological training), I was awakened to a new depth of thinking about purpose, motives, sin and selfishness, and self-righteousness. At a critical point in my life this book (required reading at the time) has forever influence how I interact with what I often find to be over-simplified Christian platitudes masking fear, resentment, and ultimately sin.
Fiore Carpino
This book was fantastic. It is immediately evident how steeped in the times during which it was written (the aftermath of the 2nd world war), and yet it remains a meaningful and accurate assessment of the person that will be relevant and useful to those who wish to think critically about their own existence and what the duty is of each person to realize what it means to be a self.
Merih
Apr 29, 2013 Merih added it
I ve just finished its really amazing sometimes I shocked the comments how unconsciously human being affected . hwr we re blind these in some point..very insightful book and thought Rollo May is really genius very good observer as well very deep understanding . You would read it if u really want to realise how our behaviour affected by daily basis stress.this book precious one for me. HIghly recommended !
Jeffrey
Jun 28, 2009 Jeffrey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jeffrey by: My therapist
This book was recommended to me by my therapist. Though it is old, there are still a great number of things that one can learn from it about being the person you mean to be and how one can do that even in the loneliest and most trying of times.

I wrote more extensively about the book and its recommender here:
Vivek
A wonderful book on the importance of knowing one self. It reassured me that the agonies one is facing is in fact good because that is an indication that one is not comfortable with the present state of being and that would lead to seeking to know yourself more.
Rebecca Shala
I love Rollo May.
I love how he describes emptiness and aloneness. How he talks about performing for others instead of being a self. Articulate, philosophical AND easy to read.
I feel impassioned and inspired to engage life on an existential level.
Mutlu Cankay
Jung'un kollektif bilinçaltını yücelten yorumları, Freudyen önermelere aşırı yüklenmesi, kimi yerde püriten ahlaka sarılması ve deterministik çıkarımları eserin ciddi eksileri, May'ın ortlamanın altında kalan bir kitabı.
Todd
Wonderful.

I am saddened that this sort of thinking and analysis has not emerged more publicly in our society. We could all learn a lot and truly improve the world starting with right here between my own ears.
Joshua Yoon
This is a great way to look at yourself and improve your own character.
Rollo May is an excellent psychiatrist and really makes good points about some misconceptions and morality.
Bill Bunn
This is a winner. Rollo May shares some profound insight into the problems of our world. Wish he was still alive. I would like to go for coffee with him.
Mo
A book to be re-read. I read it first as an undergraduate, once during grad school, and now I think it is time yet again.
Mary
Sep 05, 2010 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who realizes a higher consciousness of self
Shelves: 2010, psychology
A great summation on the psychology of self. Highly recommend it, a great mind-blowing thought-provoking book.
Ru
Great book...helps one delve into and understand one's self and others much more clearly.
Courtney
I highly suggest this to anyone who is willing to take a hard look at themselves.
Marissa
Perfect and all-encompassing in subject matter.
Maria Menozzi
The first book I read from May. Great.
Hesham  ellayeh
ترجمة سيئة
نصوص مبتورة
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
  • Cognitive Therapy and the Emotional Disorders
  • The Individual Psychology of Alfred Adler
  • Freud And Beyond: A History Of Modern Psychoanalytic Thought
  • Boundaries of the Soul: The Practice of Jung's Psychology
Rollo May (April 21, 1909 – October 22, 1994) was an American existential psychologist. He authored the influential book Love and Will during 1969.

Although he is often associated with humanistic psychology, his philosophy was influenced strongly by existentialist philosophy. May was a close friend of the theologian Paul Tillich. His works include Love and Will and The Courage to Create, the latter
More about Rollo May...
Love and Will The Courage to Create The Discovery of Being: Writings in Existential Psychology The Cry for Myth The Meaning of Anxiety

“Many people suffer from the fear of finding oneself alone, and so they don't find themselves at all.” 217 likes
“Finding the center of strength within ourselves is in the long run the best contribution we can make to our fellow men. ... One person with indigenous inner strength exercises a great calming effect on panic among people around him. This is what our society needs — not new ideas and inventions; important as these are, and not geniuses and supermen, but persons who can "be", that is, persons who have a center of strength within themselves.” 84 likes