Start by marking “Personal Demons (The Jake Helman Files, #1)” as Want to Read:
Personal Demons (The Jake Helman Files, #1)

Personal Demons (The Jake Helman Files #1)

Jake Helman, an elite member of the New York Special Homicide Task Force, faces what every cop dreads—an elusive serial killer. While investigating a series of bloodletting rituals executed by an ominous perpetrator know as the Cipher, Jake refuses to submit to a drug test and resigns from the police department. Tower International, a controversial genetic engineering ...more
Mass Market Paperback, First Edition, 377 pages
Published October 1st 2009 by Medallion Press (first published October 28th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Personal Demons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Personal Demons

Steve Rueffer
Dec 23, 2012 Steve Rueffer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
After having read all of Stephen King and Clive Barker's work over 15 years ago, I had pretty much given up on the horror genre. I tried numerous "more modern" horror authors in the late 90's only to continue to find the same old stories constantly rewritten with new character names. Along came Toronto's fan expo this year, and I chanced a meeting with Greg at the event. I took home a single promo chapter from his table and found myself taking pleasure once again in the horror genre. An amazing ...more
Mihir
Oct 24, 2013 Mihir rated it really liked it

This was my first Gregory Lamberson book and it turned out to be a terrific mix of horror and UF. Jake Helman, our protagonist is a cop with a drug problem. After a recent shooting in which his drug problem almost comes to the fore, causes him to leave his job & girlfriend. Things however take a weird turn and he's offered a high paying job that might help him jump back. His employers and a recent serial killer case though might cause him to rethink his recent life changes.

More to come in
Allan
Dec 17, 2012 Allan rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book. It blends mythology, a serial killer and just plain excitement very well. I am so impressed that I am going to hunt out more books by this author. This book captivated me from beginning to end and I can hardly wait to read the next installment. This is a breath of fresh air for the horror genre. Highly reccomended. 5 stars easily.
Steven Shroyer
Dec 15, 2012 Steven Shroyer rated it it was amazing
I remember first seeing the name Gregory Lamberson when I saw an ad for the DVD of "Slime City" back in 2006 in an issue of Fangoria. The movie looked pretty cool, but at the time I had no source of income like I(Barely) do today. I continued seeing his name throughout the many years I read Fangoria and in 2011 I decided that I would give one of his books a try. They looked good, dark and gritty with the promise of a ton of splatter that would soak my retinas and infect my brain. Having read the ...more
Angel McCoy
Jan 29, 2012 Angel McCoy rated it really liked it
Angel's Adjectives: terrifying and twisty

A Bram Stoker Award nominee, Greg Lamberson is making his mark as one of horror's new forces. This is his second novel and the first in the Jake Hellman series (of which the second book is also out). It introduces coke-snorting police detective Jake Helman, a man whose life goes from Not Too Bad at the beginning to Complete and Utter Shit by the end of the book. At every turn, Lamberson turns the thumb screws on his poor protagonist. It's like watching a
Rhonda
Apr 09, 2010 Rhonda rated it it was amazing
Gregory Lamberson's new series, The Jake Helman Files, starts off with a detailed scene showing readers how the book's serial killer, The Cipher, operates. Readers are then introduced to the series' main character, Jake Helman, who works for the New York Special Homicide Task Force. After killing two men shortly into the book, Helman is required to take a drug test. Instead of following orders, Helman decides to take more drastic measures and quits. Less than 48 hours later, Helman receives a ...more
Shelly
Dec 30, 2012 Shelly rated it it was amazing
I am not going to do a full review for this one, but since I am going to do a full review for the 4th book I do want to do a quick review for each of the books leading up to it. Mr. Lamberson was kind enough to send me all 4 books in this series and I have to say that I quite enjoyed them!

This is a great way to set up a series and it introduces several characters that will re-occur throughout the other books as the series progresses. I love the character of Jake Helman and I think that he makes
Simon West-Bulford
Apr 25, 2012 Simon West-Bulford rated it it was amazing
Personal Demons is not what I expected. After reading the abstract and deciding to buy it, I thought I was heading for something dark and atmospheric with hints of the supernatural.

Dark? Certainly.
Atomospheric? Sure.
Hints of the supernatural? Nope - truck loads of it!

This novel goes way over the top with the pseudo-scientific, supernatural, action-gore, but I loved the premise and the book delivered it in a style that took me straight back to days of sitting and eating popcorn watching The Evil
Bill
Apr 02, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it
A disgraced New York City Homicide Detective with an alcohol and cocaine problem is on the case of a serial killer known as The Cipher.

A reclusive billionaire has plans to sell genetic mutations to the highest bidder and sell out human souls for an even greater price in his quest for immortality.

Tack on an Angel and Demon who are fighting for the Light and Dark and a genetically engineered women bent on serving the billionaire and the sh*t gets very serious, very fast. Heaven and Hell clash in
Tim
Apr 27, 2013 Tim rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, fantasy
Personal Demons was a good fun read. The prose is to-the-point and Lamberson does not waste any space with unnecessary wording. The action scenes in the book were well thought out and kept the pace rolling along. THe supernatural/horror element of the novel was well done and never got too over the top or unbelievable, though I did think that Jake just accepted all the supernatural stuff a little bit too easily. I know if I was in that situation I would be questioning my sanity.

Jake Helman was a
Andy
May 11, 2013 Andy rated it liked it
Shelves: buddy-reads
Personal Demons haiku

"Where's Old Nick?" you ask.
The Tower masks his quest for
Immortality.

I enjoyed this book quite a bit and really admired its ambition. It was impressive that Lamberson was able to include so many plot elements and have them all work together and make sense. (view spoiler)
Selena
Apr 04, 2013 Selena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books, won
10 stars??? This book was A-mazing! It took so many turns I wasn't expecting! It lead me to pull for one person, then another, then to stop and reread because I thought 'I really didn't read that...'!!
My 18 year old son tried to take it away and read it, I gave him a different book and told him to keep his hands off my book. Now what do I do? I need more Jake!!! I know there are at least 2 more books....
Thank you Goodreads!
Jenn
Jan 29, 2012 Jenn rated it really liked it
Gregory's novel started out as quite the thriller - catching a malicious serial killer. About halfway through it turned into the horror I presumed it would be. The paranormal comes into play and all hell breaks lose, literally. Can't wait to see what Jack Helman faces in his next book (although I think it might be zombies!)
Alexis
Jan 29, 2012 Alexis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mature Audiences
This book rarely has a dry moment. I enjoyed the in depth detail that the writer had gone into. It was a wonderful book to read and it had me hooked from day one. Being a wonderful book that it is I would warn however this book is not for the light of heart and for mature audiences due to some of the graphic scenes depicted in the story. However it is still a wonderful story!
Paul Ohlson
Dec 06, 2012 Paul Ohlson rated it it was amazing

Just updated from four stars to five because, after reading the rest of the series so far, I realize just how well Greg set the base for this series and for the character of Jake Helman. This is great stuff and it should be a movie franchise!
Tracy
Feb 07, 2015 Tracy rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
When i first discovered this series I had picked up the third book first. I loved it so much that I had to start from the beginning and I was not disappointed. I would recommend this series to people who love mystery and the paranormal. This series has it all wrapped into one. Great read!
Nicholas Morgan anderson
Feb 03, 2014 Nicholas Morgan anderson rated it it was amazing
I have read through this series as the books come out. The first book was just a glimpse into the horrific world crafted by Gregory Lamberson. This poor character.

A fun ride into the chaotic supernatural underworld of Jake Helman. Definitely worth reading.
P.A.
Apr 15, 2012 P.A. rated it really liked it
Very imaginative. Really makes you think about what could be going on that only a select few know about.
Debra
Jan 23, 2013 Debra rated it really liked it
Something pretty good for the horror genre. Never read this author before, and liked his style. Another series to sink my teeth into. Got the next one on order from the library.
Kevin Lucia
Apr 23, 2012 Kevin Lucia rated it it was amazing
Fun, fast, exciting read. And, just great. Now I have ANOTHER character to follow whose name begins with a J....
Emily
Jan 22, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Lots of twists and turns that I did not expect! A very good read!
Andrew
Nov 26, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing
What an unexpectedly fun read!
Benjamin Ethridge
Jan 29, 2012 Benjamin Ethridge rated it really liked it
Two words: KICKS ASS.

Ok, three.

KICKS MAJOR ASS.

Justin Wiebe
Oct 24, 2016 Justin Wiebe rated it really liked it
This is the second book of the Jake Helman series I've read, and I look forward to reading through the rest of the stories. What strikes me is that Lamberson's character is faulted, just like anybody else, making him easy to relate to and, indeed, root for. What can I say? I'm a sucker for an underdog character--and, yes, I see the protagonist as such--pitted against all kinds of nasties. I also appreciate that while Helman emerges the winner in the end, he pays a heavy price and the victory, if ...more
Shelly
Sep 24, 2016 Shelly rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book considering it was an ereader freebie that's been sitting on my cloud shelf for over a year now. Well developed characters and an interesting mash up of detective vs serial killer and horror. I'm looking forward to the next book in this series.
Robert
Jan 28, 2013 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: supernatural
I really did not know where this one was going to go, yet it looked interesting enough, so I gave it a go. So what is it? I guess you could call this one a contest between good and evil. The main character, Jake Helman, is a detective with the NYPD until he finds himself stepping in the proverbial pile of dung. He gets an offer for employment and soon finds himself in the middle of a battle of good versus evil as old as Cain vs. Abel, literally. This book was enough to entice me and I hope as ...more
Pamela
Jan 28, 2012 Pamela rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
After reading the back of the book jacket, I thought this book sounded intriguing; hopeful for a good, scary read. Boy was I wrong. It started off not to bad with the killer but then there wasn't much about him till about two-thirds of the way in. It took only one day after Jake getting a new job at the Towers that he discovered the "horrors". Give me a break! The horrors were a joke. It didn't make any sense. The plot was so unbelievable and so were the other characters thrown into the mix. It ...more
Erin Sterling
2.5. Jake Helman, a cocaine-addicted homicide detective following the trail of a serial killer gets hired as the top security officer by the DNA/Genetics corporation Tower International after being forced to leave the police force. What Jake discovers about Tower International goes far beyond any nightmare he could ever have imagined. DNA, cloning, heaven, hell, demons...I would have preferred the story to get less into the heaven/hell/demon realm, but that's just me.
Ms. Nikki
Small cuts open flesh.
Nerve endings sending pain.
Life leaks through open fingers.
The killer is insane.
He likes when you fight,
bite,
squeal,
and kick.
He wants you to suffer.
Don't die too quick.
And as your life does leave you.
Pray for your soul.
He's come to steal it.
For that is his goal.

by Nikki

2 1/2 STARS
A semi-solid read that's a little unbelievable and b-movies-ish, but does entertain. Don't know if I'll read another.
Diane
Mar 15, 2012 Diane rated it it was ok
ummm, yehh. I enjoyed the serial killer action at the beginning and the idea of a cop addicted to cocaine. However, then the book delved into the peculiar, but unfortunately weird and confusing paranormal. Sure, I'm accustomed to suspending my disbelief, but it's like the second 3rd of the book is a different one. The addiction theme was abandoned, the serial killing is not addressed...and tell me, what kind of addict can just quit cold turkey from a cocaine addiction?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Disturbed Earth
  • When Graveyards Yawn (Apocalypse Trilogy #1)
  • Under the Black  Ensign: A Pirate Adventure of Loot, Love and War on the Open Seas
  • Night Birds' Reign (Dreamer's Cycle, #1)
  • The Jubilee Plot (Sherlock Holmes & Young Winston #2)
  • Dead and Moaning in Las Vegas
  • Hybrid
  • Vampires in Devil Town (Vampires in Devil Town, #1)
  • The Venom of Vipers
  • Shadow Games (Shadow People, #1)
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • Dead Politician Society (Clare Vengel Undercover, #1)
  • The Valentine's Day Clue (Nayak Brothers, #1)
  • Draugr (Northern Frights, #1)
  • Devil's Hand (Drawing Thin, #1)
  • The Witch of Agnesi (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #1)
  • The American Book of the Dead
  • Blood Ties (PI Julie Collins, #1)
Gregory Lamberson is an author and filmmaker who specializes in horror entertainment. He is a two time winner of the IPPY Gold Medal for Horror and a three time Bram Stoker Award finalist. Fangoria magazine called him "the hardest working man in horror."

Lamberson is the author of two ongoing supernatural action series, "The Jake Helman Files" (PERSONAL DEMONS, DESPERATE SOULS, COSMIC FORCES and TO
More about Gregory Lamberson...

The Jake Helman Files (5 books)
  • Desperate Souls (The Jake Helman Files, #2)
  • Cosmic Forces (The Jake Helman Files, #3)
  • Tortured Spirits (The Jake Helman Files, #4)
  • Storm Demon