Start by marking “1,000 Vegan Recipes” as Want to Read:
1,000 Vegan Recipes

1,000 Vegan Recipes

Whether you're a new to  vegan cooking, a long-time vegan, or someone who is just trying to eat meatless meals a few times a week, this is the book for you. You will have a lifetime of recipes and inspiration. These delicious recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything in between, are cholesterol-free, low in saturated fat, and high in fiber and complex carbohydrat ...more
Published September 18th 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 1,000 Vegan Recipes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1,000 Vegan Recipes

Veganomicon by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra MoskowitzAppetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Best Vegan Cookbooks
244 books — 341 voters
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
1,091 books — 1,015 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Oct 23, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Lindsey
I usually read my cookbooks cover to cover but this one is a 612 page book and I read through just enough of it to evaluate the recipes and see how they were laid out.

I am very fond of this cookbook author’s recipes (this is Robin G. Robertson) and the large number included in this book was too tempting to pass up, even though with the more than 100 all vegan cookbooks I already own and all the recipes available via the web and friends, I certainly already had access to many more recipes than 1,
Jessica Peschman
Nov 05, 2011 Jessica Peschman rated it it was amazing
When it comes to vegan recipes, this is definitely the best cookbook I have ever come across. The range of recipes is wonderful, covering foods for every meal, (breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, and snack), and every occasion, (simple comfort foods, up to elaborate holiday meals). I really love the variety of recipes for the same food, for instance, instead of just having one lasagna recipe, as many vegan cookbooks do, this one has eight!

There are only two things that I can think of that would
Primrosebarks
Nov 06, 2013 Primrosebarks rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is my go-to recipe book, with hundreds of varied recipes that are unique, healthful, and delicious. It makes me look great as a cook!

So far, after 8 months of cooking with this book, I've only found one erratum: rosemary scones as it is written is a disastrous combination of sweet and savory. I think it got muddled up with the wonderful blueberry and almond scones on the next page, and I've had to create a new ingredient list in order to bake something palatable. There may be more errors, b
Bridget Johannes
Jan 17, 2017 Bridget Johannes rated it liked it
Solid. The handful of recipes that caught my attention were good.
Íris
Dec 04, 2014 Íris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I bought this book shortly after becoming vegetarian. I've never been much of a cook. In fact, I learned to cook when I was 18 and was obliged to know the affairs of pans and pots because I started living on my own.
As someone who grew up and was raised in a place that was almost Mediterranean I already knew many of the ingredients in this book, since the writer has Italian origins. I felt at ease with this book at a glance and I will make a little summary of each aspect.

Cover and Artwork
The book
Nicole
May 09, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing
An amazing collection of wonderful looking dishes with readily available ingredients! I am returning this book to the library and ordering one for myself today. I hope I won't need to give it a lower rating after I try some of the dishes. I've had success with Robertson's recipes in the past and am excited to try these. I like that this one has more common ingredients than one of her other books,Vegan Planet, which I also own. When I bought Vegan Planet, I thought it was going to be more like th ...more
Julie
May 15, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: recipes, read-2010
I'm not vegan, not even vegetarian. Perhaps I'm an "accidental vegetarian" since I don't find meat all that interesting to prepare or eat, not compared to the wonderful world of grains, legumes, veggies and fruits that beckon.

But I'm a sucker for a cookbook on sale. This doorstop was 50 percent off at Queen Anne Books and it promises years of fun now that it's mine!

Lemon-kissed linguine with garlicky white bean sauce; pistachio-pear couscous salad; coconut jasmine rice and edamame; seitan broche
Katey
Jan 26, 2013 Katey rated it it was amazing
During grocery list making, more often than not I draw a complete blank on what to prepare in the upcoming week. This book makes it super easy for my brain. Almost literally, you can open up to a page and there's dinner for Tuesday (or any other night of the week). Some recipes may be similar to others I've made before, but there's almost always a new variation on it. At the very least you get ideas. It's like a low-tech Pinterest search for recipes (although, sadly, not the yummy looking pictur ...more
Nettie
May 07, 2013 Nettie rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
I got this book from the library on the recommendation of a vegan friend.
I tried a bunch of recipes from this book but am not enamored with it. The ones I chose seemed bland, and had a similar cooking style -- throw the list of veggies in a pot and cook -- that didn't take into account differences in cooking times for ingredients. I like Terry Walters Clean Foods better for the taste and the instructions.
Kim
Dec 15, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
This is our go-to cookbook. All of the recipes are fantastic! In fact, we had scones from a recipe in this book for breakfast today. Although it's vegan, Robertson does not shy away from using "substitute" foods like vegan margarine, so even omnivores would find the food tasty.
Catherine
Feb 10, 2010 Catherine rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I am blogging about it now! I am going to make all of the recipes and write about them!! Follow along! We can do it together. The few recipes that I have made from it, have been wonderful!
Ann Marshall
Dec 07, 2012 Ann Marshall rated it it was amazing
If I could only choose one cookbook, this would be it. Hundreds of delicious, varied recipes with accessible ingredients and helpful information regarding various foods central to vegan eating (e.g., tempeh). Introduced me to so many new items in a v usable format.
Rebecca
Jan 22, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
It is nice to just open the book to find vegan friendly recipes Instead of having to search. I was amazed at how good the banana walnut muffins turned out, just like traditional banana bread.
Ciara
Feb 07, 2015 Ciara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
I use this cookbook ALL the time. It is easy and always delicious.
Juliacatherine
Apr 26, 2010 Juliacatherine rated it really liked it
I need to recheck this from the library- she has lots of good ideas.
Alyson
Dec 18, 2013 Alyson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-cooking
A lot of good recipes, some I hadn't even thought of before.
Rebekah Nichols
Jul 03, 2013 Rebekah Nichols rated it it was amazing
Endless supply of recipes my personal favorites: tempeh pimento cheeze ball, chocolate and walnut farfalle, macadamia cashew patties, and rotini remoulade
Kathy
Feb 27, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
What a great cookbook! I borrowed from the library and it was time to return it. Think I'll be buying a copy to own.
Jacqueline
Jan 04, 2013 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
This is my absolute favorite vegan cookbook. This book is loaded with so many great recipes. If you only have one vegan cookbook on your shelf, make it this one. Love this book!
UrbanWildflower
Feb 24, 2013 UrbanWildflower rated it it was amazing
So far this the third cookbook I have read by Robertson. The recipes are superb.I haven't found a dud in the bunch yet.
Roberto
Roberto rated it it was ok
Feb 23, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Laura Escandell
Laura Escandell rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2012
Carrie Manns
Carrie Manns rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Reina
Reina rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2012
Mikela D.
Mikela D. rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Jenna
Jenna rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2012
Betty Hammonds
Betty Hammonds rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2015
Lucky
Lucky rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2012
Lauri
Lauri rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2009
  • 500 Vegan Recipes: An Amazing Variety of Delicious Recipes, From Chilis and Casseroles to Crumbles, Crisps, and Cookies (500 Cooking (Sellers))
  • Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons
  • Caribbean Vegan: Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Authentic Island Cuisine for Every Occasion
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • Big Vegan
  • The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads
  • Supermarket Vegan: 225 Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes for Real People in the Real World
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • The 30-Minute Vegan: Over 175 Quick, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes for Everyday Cooking
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • The Vegan Table: 200 Unforgettable Recipes for Entertaining Every Guest at Every Occasion
  • Alternative Vegan: International Vegan Fare Straight from the Produce Aisle
  • Spork-Fed: Super Fun and Flavorful Vegan Recipes from the Sisters of Spork Foods
  • Vegan Lunch Box Around the World: 125 Easy, International Lunches Kids and Grown-Ups Will Love!
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
An experienced chef and consultant, Robin Robertson worked for many years in restaurants and catering in northeastern Pennsylvania and Charleston, South Carolina before she began writing cookbooks. In 1988, she left the restaurant business and became vegan for ethical reasons. She then rededicated her life to writing and teaching gourmet vegan cooking.

Over the years, she has fine-tuned her plant-b
More about Robin G. Robertson...