Start by marking “Too Purpley!” as Want to Read:
Too Purpley!

Too Purpley!

Too purpley, too tickly, too puckery, too prickly!

There is not a single outfit in the closet that our little fashion plate wants to wear. She tries on everything, but nothing is quite right. And the outfits are getting wilder by the minute!

It's a scene that is all too familiar to parents, wrapped up in a package that is all too difficult to resist: a playful rhyme scheme a
Published January 1st 2010 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Too Purpley!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Purpley!

Lindsi
Jun 24, 2015 Lindsi rated it really liked it
This book is about a little girl who tries on a lot of different clothes, but doesn’t choose to wear any of them because they were “too” something. Too purpley, too scratchy, too zippery, etc. Until, finally, she finds the perfect clothes to wear. While this book doesn’t have a very engaging plot line to it, it’s still really fun to read the word that this little girl comes up with to describe the clothes. It’s also fun to look at the illustrations to see how the illustrator decided to depict ...more
Isha Barrie

This book will definitely have children not only learn about colors, but also patterns and textures. Too purply will also have you little one get excited about dressing themselves in fun colors.
Dee
Jul 23, 2014 Dee rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, board-books
Too simple! Too Purpley I thought might be more of a color book, but it was not. It really wasn't that graet of a book for my toddler. The words were really simple to read, but it is hard to show "to prickley" and discribe that to her. Maybe a good book for beginer readers?
Rachel
Sep 15, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love how the little girl in this story is learning to express herself in her choice of clothing. In some of the pictures it appears she may be throwing a bit of a fit, but that can then become a teachable moment to talk about how we react when we don't like something.
Kristen Badger
Jul 31, 2014 Kristen Badger rated it it was amazing
Rediy, J. (2010). Too purpley. New York, NY: Bloomsbury.

This adorable pre-school level book is a favorite with my son and daughter. The simple phrases, word repetition and rhyming make it a good choice for preschool and read alouds. The story revolves around a little girl and the many outfits she tries on before finding one that is "So comfy, just right."

This book would be good to use in preschool classrooms to teach about rhyming, getting dressed, independence and individuality. It could also b
Eva Leger
Nov 28, 2010 Eva Leger rated it it was ok
Shelves: julias-books
1.5 - This was rather...... annoying. It was annoying as hell actually. The text consists of "too purpley, too tickly, too puckery, too prickly, too stitchy, too itchy", etc. You get the picture right?
The little girl is wearing at least one different outfit on each page with each one being "too" something (see above for examples).
The only time I could ever see actually reading this would be to a very young baby. As in, for reading time just to read, to a baby who doesn't know words yet. You kn
Anthony Smith
Jun 22, 2010 Anthony Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: grade-this
Too Purpley is a picture book about a young girl who is very picky about what she wants to wear. The inspiration the author got for the book was from her own life. She prefers to wear certain colors and certain clothes. One reason the book is good for young children because it offers a wide range of bright colors. Some pages stand out more than others which could catch the eyes of young children. On the other hand, this book also plays a sort of gender stereotype. The young girl in the story is ...more
Kayla Eklund
Jul 16, 2013 Kayla Eklund rated it it was amazing
Too Purpley is a cute children’s book. Too Purpley is about a girl who doesn’t like what her mother picks out for her to wear. Finally she finds the perfect outfit. I’m sure a lot of parents and children can identify with this book. I know that when I was a kid, I was horribly picky about what I wanted to wear. I wouldn’t wear dresses or anything frilly. The illustrations are adorable. I like the turtle. It wears everything that the girl wears. The turtle also helps her when her clothes are ...more
Heidi-Marie
Simple, silly, light-hearted, cute, and funny. With a bit of truth for me, too. There are a few levels at which I connect to this book--each one absolutely hilarious to me. I especially connect with the last page. I smile at the appropriateness and nail-on-the-head that some of it is. But the absolute best part is as my co-worker put it: "Bob makes a guest appearance."

8/10/10 I thought I would try this in a toddler time. It wasn't too bad. Some were involved.

8/12/10 This worked much better. I h
Susan
Mar 01, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Description: Don't you hate it when you can't find anything to wear? This is the story for that feeling.

Illustrations: Bright vivid colors with a lot of detail.

Themes/keywords: fashion, descriptive

Literacy skills:
print motivation-a great example of having fun with books, made up words and wonderful illustrations
vocabulary-although some of the words are made up, it is a great tool for descriptive vocabulary

Eva Kelly
Nov 18, 2014 Eva Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this girl seemed to have a problem with everything, and you know what? She ended up just wearing Carhartts, which I guess ARE pretty comfy. But still, she said NO to some pretty nice clothes. I guess I'm like that sometimes, and Mama says all girls are like that, that it takes us a long time to get dressed. And she usually just wears Carhartts too, so who knows?
It was a baby book [board book] but some of those are pretty good.
Dodie
Nov 27, 2009 Dodie rated it it was amazing
Too fun! A fussy pig-tailed little girl is just not happy with anything in her closet. As she works her way through the options, she keeps exclaiming her protests - "Too itchy, too scratchy, too stichy, too matchy!" - until the perfect outfit is found. A good read for that day you need to get a crabby kid to giggle and break a stubborn streak. LeLoup's illustrations are hysterically eye-popping and the little girl's facial expressions are priceless.
Sep 17, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This story was awesome & it got rave reviews at my Toddler Time. A must read! A little girl tries on a ton of clothing, giving reasons for why she doesn't like every outfit. Then she finds the one which is not girly or tom-boyish...but somewhere in the middle, an outfit that is "so comfy! Just Right." I like the wording that the author chose. Clothing is supposed to be comfortable. I don't care about fashion, I want comfy! Very relatable to two year olds through adulthood.
Jenni
Sep 17, 2011 Jenni rated it really liked it
I won this book from a goodreads give-away, and I think this book is absolutely adorable. We've all suffered from an outfit that was too itchy, too matchy, and sometimes even too purpley. The illustrations match perfectly, and are great at helping younger readers understand the meaning of each adjective.
Jane G Meyer
Apr 22, 2010 Jane G Meyer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This short but colorful picture book is just plain fun. Perfect for those wee little girls who suffer over what they wear like my Madeleine did even at the teensy age of two. The illustrations are bright and filled with graphic designy magic, and so fun and full of humor that my four year old Tom Sawyer son has asked to read it multiple times.

Happy, this would be a fun read for Gracie :)
Kristina Jean Lareau
Jul 13, 2014 Kristina Jean Lareau rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I was on board through most of this book. The rhymes and repetition were fun. The illustrations were dynamic and entertaining. But the ending was--a Major disappointment. It deviated from the rhymes of the rest of the book and ended on a single page spread when every other illustration in the book--including the first--has a double page.

It had so much promise.
Kristen
This is a simple, quick book with really fun illustrations. I think this would be good for toddlers or preschoolers--I'll be interested to see how it goes over in story time!

I tried this in preschool story time and it wasn't the most loved book. It might be better suited for toddlers. Maybe I'll try it there some time and see how it works.
Kristen
Rhyming book about a little girl who can't find anything she wants to wear. It's all "too purpley, too tickly, too puckery, too prickly..." Fun word choices, and definitely a topic many little ones can relate to. The art is so fun and bright, nice for group read-aloud. The ending came abruptly - I was expecting one more stanza - but still, cute book.
Donalyn
A little girl tries on a series of outfits, discarding them because each is "too fancy," "too zippery," "too matchy," etc. Bold illustrations highlight each hilarious outfit combination. Nice pairing with Too Pickley by the same author.
Heidi Pepin
Apr 21, 2015 Heidi Pepin rated it really liked it
A little too young for my 5 year old. I liked that she could essentially read it on her own, due to the simple text, and she enjoyed the turtle dressing as the little girl's "twin". But probably better for the younger set, around age 3 or so.
Rebecca
May 05, 2010 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: toddler and up
Too fun! Bright colors, and a listing of words describing why certain clothes just don't work. Another "simple is best" book. Would be great for a Getting Dressed storytime (and I'd love to see the reaction to the "too stripey" page).
Nancy Shaffer
May 05, 2014 Nancy Shaffer rated it it was amazing
My duaghters love this book. The vibrant colors and patterns draws them into the book. We have read this book so much that they now can "read" it themselves. They also enjoyed "Too Pickley" and "Too Princessy".
Car
Mar 24, 2014 Car rated it liked it
Shelves: children
This is a fun book for young girls. It contains a lot of adjectives, adding "y" or "ey" to them, because the clothes are just too...[insert adjective]. My 5-year old loves reading this book, and she loves the pictures too.
Ashlee Gibson
What a colorful book! A little girl stuggles to find something comfy to where. She finally finds something that suits her well. This book could be useful to talk to students about how we all are different and we like different things.
Jen
Jan 26, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
I don't have a strong opinion about this book and "Too Pickley" but my 6,4, and 2 year old love them. I'm not sure if it is the rhymes or what but they LOVE these books. They have me read them constantly until they can recite them loudly to each other.
Shannon
Jul 07, 2010 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any toddler/pre-schooler knows what it's like to have to get dressed in the morning - especially when all of your clothes don't seem to be a perfect fit for the day. Too Purply is a funny must-read for everyone who ever has looked into their closet and wondered what to wear today.
Rachel
May 24, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Too cute! My girls had it memorized after the first read, and loved the illustrations. They had a fun time pointing out how silly the turtle was on every page :)
We asked about "Too Pickley" at the library, but it wasn't released yet. Can't wait to read more!
Julee
Very nice for a library read aloud when you would like to draw out student comments.The fussy little girl in the story simply cannot find the right outfit. Every outfit is too something or another with each outfit getting more extreme until finally success!
Dolly
Aug 13, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2010, rhyming
This is a fun book for younger readers, especially girls. It depicts the aggravation of a little girl who is trying to find something to wear, and nothing is making her happy. The narrative is simple and the illustrations are very colorful and bold, with delightful patterns and a cute pet turtle.
Anna
Jun 02, 2013 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A lucky little girl who has a LOT of clothes finds something wrong with everything she puts on--too purply, too feathery, too baggy, etc. until she finds the outfit that is so comfy and just right!

From my 3 year old great niece's library.
  • What Does Bunny See?: A Book of Colors and Flowers
  • Color Farm Board Book
  • Blue Goose
  • Man Gave Names to All the Animals
  • I Dream of an Elephant
  • Cars: Rushing! Honking! Zooming!