Start by marking “Control Freak” as Want to Read:
Control Freak

Control Freak

The dead girl had called herself Apocrypha. Her real name was Eva, and she had been murdered, then savagely mutilated. Caitlin McCullough, an author of cheap detective novels, is fascinated by Eva's murder and is soon drawn into New York's underground.
Published June 1st 1998 by Rhinoceros Publications (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Control Freak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Control Freak

Josh
Nov 26, 2014 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
CONTROL FREAK was my second audiobook (the first being THE COLD COLD GROUND by Adrian McKinty) and I'm pleased to report that I'm two-for-two; great stories with complimentary narrators.

Narrators can greatly enhance a book or completely derail it. Luckily narrator Ann Carver's performance is a good fit for the semi erotic crime novel by Christa Faust - her debut written in the 1990's.

Christa Faust's smooth poetic prose is akin to Megan Abbott and Daniel Woodrell at the top of their game.

Fans of
Bark's Book Nonsense
I bought this book when it was first published way back in the early 90’s, back when I was reading a lot of Poppy Z. Brite and Caitlin Kiernan, when I was young and free, with money to burn and too damn busy with other stuff to read what I was buying apparently. At the time, the three author’s had a website together (possibly called Pandora-something? It’s gone now) which is how I learned of this book whose premise begged me to read it. For some reason, it got pushed to the back of my now triple ...more
Steven
May 09, 2015 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, crime-noir
The progression here of novelist/journalist investigating a murder and then getting drawn into the SM scene reminded me a bit of Topping from Below, by Laura Reese, which was also written in the mid-nineties. Neither book shirks from the erotic violence of the scene and both deftly explore the psychological underpinnings of dominance and submission. There is a strong narrative pull-through as Caitlin persists in pursuing the murderer even as it is clear that she is at risk. She is constantly war ...more
Elgalla
Jul 13, 2012 Elgalla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was recommended to me by a friend and I absolutely loved it! The plot, the characters and, mostly, Christa Faust's writing, were all great and highly enjoyable. This is a seriously weird crime novel, but it's worth all the way.
Les
Feb 09, 2013 Les rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my cup of tea. More of an exploration of the world of S&M than a murder mystery. By the time the who dun it thread is picked up near the end I almost lost interest in the book. The innocent girl discovering and exploring her budding sexuality and fascination with kink is an old tired genre.

Seth
Apr 18, 2007 Seth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans who like or can handle bdsm content
Shelves: other-fiction
This is Faust's first book, but wasn't published until 10 years later, after other of her books. It definitely has the feel of a Christa Faust story, but it reads like a first book. The writing is often a little gimmicky and there are several plotlines that just vanish rather than resolve. But it's a good read and the main character's growth is quite well handled.

Control Freak is set in early 90's NYC. Our protagonist is Caitlin. She is a writer and when her cop boyfriend is assigned to a parti
Panagiota
3,5 αστέρια, βασικά.

Πολύ ευχάριστο, καθηλωτικό βιβλίο και πρωτότυπο για την εποχή που γράφτηκε (16+ χρόνια μετά, όχι κ τόσο, εξού και τα 3,5 αστέρια εκ μέρους μου).

Ξεκινά με έναν φόνο, ο οποίος θέτει σε κίνηση όλους τους εμπλεκόμενους χαρακτήρες σε ένα ταξίδι αυτογνωσίας, πειραματισμού, αποδοχής, κατάρρευσης και καταστροφής. 'Η κάθαρσης. Ανάλογα πως θα το δει κανείς. Η ιστορία έχει το πλαίσιο νεοϋορκέζικου νουάρ ντεντεκτεβίστικης νουβέλας στα τέλη των 90ς, αλλά τελικά, με αυτό ασχολείται μάλλον
Γιώργος Δάμτσιος
Το συγκεκριμένο είναι σίγουρα από τα πιο σκληρά ερωτικά βιβλία που έχω διαβάσει. Ίσως και το σκληρότερο. Το BDSM βασιλεύει σε κάθε του σελίδα, η σεξουαλική διαστροφή δίνει και παίρνει. Και είναι επίτηδες το πρώτο στοιχείο του που αναφέρω, θέτοντάς το ως προειδοποίηση σε όποιον αναγνώστη δεν επιθυμεί να διαβάσει ένα ανάγνωσμα τέτοιου είδους, αλλά και σαν πρόκληση για τους απαιτητικούς!

Το βιβλίο πάντως δεν είναι μόνο BDSM. Υπάρχει και ένας φόνος στις πρώτες του σελίδες και ο εντοπισμός του δολοφ
Balthasaar
Have loved Faust's other niors, but the plausibly deniability just hit me too hard on this one. The face behind the hottest club being a complete psychopath? That's not a club people that would have retention. [I completely own that I might be too close to the subject matter for an unbiased opinion]

Still love Faust though, I believe this was her first published work so I don't hold it against her. [she got betta] Highly recommend Laura Antoniou's 'The Killer Wore Leather' instead for a 'murder-m
Bracken
Oct 08, 2011 Bracken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three and a half stars. It's a decent first novel that is more about the main character's sexual/psychological self discovery than the murder mystery that bookends the real story. Although the book has thriller aspirations (that pay off in spades in Faust's work for Hard Case Crime), the initial conventional storyline introduced here is quickly abandoned and left only hinted at for the lion's share of the novel. When that story picks back up again at the end, it moves quickly (and a little impro ...more
Jessica
Faust's forward to this edition discusses some of the difficulty she had in getting this published (and how it was eventually picked up by a fly-by-night outfit that later folded), and I can see why this one didn't go mainstream at that time. Even now, the tone and violence level can be a bit hard to take at times. But I do really appreciate how Faust doesn't go for bow-tidy endings - she definitely subverts your expectations pretty well, even if the solution to the book's opening murder is some ...more
Jack
Feb 03, 2013 Jack rated it really liked it
CONTROL FREAK is the first novel by Christa Faust, published in '98 by Masquerade Books. I don't know if it's horror or crime? Maybe a combination of both, and throw in a heavy dose of s&m! CONTROL FREAKS see's pulp novelist Caitlin go undercover in New Yorks S&M underworld to track down a killer. She becomes drawn in, and the sexual dominant insider her is unleashed and she finds herself part of the game... Great eye for detail, I think it would take a true dominant to write such a nove ...more
Robin Edman
I find Christa Faust's stories to be odd in a quite interesting way. This one, though, went too far down the erotic path for my taste (and I'm not sure what the horror element is). I'm just too old to like that sort of thing any more. That doesn't mean it's not good.

But if you're young and looking for a severely countercultural thrill, this book is an excellent choice for you. It's well told, which makes it a rare example of its type.
Mia
DNF. A few minutes less than two hours into the audiobook, reached Chapter 9, short of 20%.

Sorry, I just couldn't keep going. The narration alternated between nondescript/just adequate and irritating. The story was interesting, but not interesting enough for me to disregard the narration that simply didn't work for me, nor interesting enough for me to switch to another format.

Steve Ledridge
Nov 04, 2011 Steve Ledridge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great adventure into the the subculture with heavy integration of geekiness and technology. While I am not into the extremes of SM, I still found it entertaining. It is a bit dated so the Tech isn't current, but being tech savvy in that time it still makes sense to me.
Evita
Sep 12, 2016 Evita rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Boring!!!!! Μεγαλη βλακεια!!!! Το τελειωσα μονο και μονο απο περιεργια!!! Τελοσπαντων θα το παρω και αυτο σαν μια εμπειρια....
Brad Chipper
Brad Chipper rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2011
Veronica L.
Veronica L. rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2013
Miss Melissa  Cliffe
Miss Melissa Cliffe rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Ksenia
Ksenia rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2014
Gerard
Gerard rated it it was ok
Sep 27, 2012
Kent Gowran
Kent Gowran rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2013
Γκέλλυ
Γκέλλυ rated it did not like it
Oct 02, 2016
Valentina Kapourani
Valentina Kapourani rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Vanessa Regan
Vanessa Regan rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2014
Pearce
Pearce rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2015
Gem
Gem rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2012
Justin
Justin rated it did not like it
Dec 28, 2010
Jason Sheats
Jason Sheats rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Wrong Things
  • Little Deaths
  • Murder of Angels (Silk, #2)
  • Skin
  • The Lucid Dreaming
  • Jem and the Holograms #3 (Jem and the Holograms, #3)
  • Shackled
  • Shudder Again: 22 Tales of Sex and Horror
  • Kiss and Kill (Hot Blood, #8)
  • The Book Of A Thousand Sins
  • Succubi
  • Providence #1
  • The Shadow Pavilion (Detective Inspector Chen, #4)
  • The Fulfilments of Fate and Desire (Wraeththu, #3)
  • A Fine Dark Line
Christa Faust is an American author who writes original novels, as well as novelizations and media tie-ins.
More about Christa Faust...