Start by marking “The Adventures of Julius Chancer: Volume One” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Julius Chancer: Volume One

The Adventures of Julius Chancer: Volume One

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Welcome to the biggest adventure in comics: a spectacular epic, elegantly penned and illustrated by Garen Ewing. In Volume One meet Julius Chancer, the adventurous assistant to historical-researcher Sir Alfred Catesby-Grey, as he embarks on a quest to find the mystical rainbow orchid — an extraordinary flower last mentioned by the ancient Greek philosopher Theophrastus and ...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Egmont

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Julius Chancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Julius Chancer

Sylvester
A little sleuthing, a little treasure hunting - this book hits the mark in every way. Doesn't have the humour of Tintin, but it isn't trying to be Tintin.
Tintinrulz
"The Rainbow Orchid: Part One" promises a grand adventure in the 'ligne claire' (clear line) art style reminiscent of Herge's "Tintin" and Edgar P. Jacobs "Blake and Mortimer". Garen Ewing's attention to detail (the story is set in the silent movies era) is to be applauded. The artwork starts off a little rough but it quickly improves. People in motion don't quite seem to come alive on the page, but of the many comics I've read, only Herge seems to accomplish this feat. Several times characters ...more
Nick
Finally, another series in the same genre as Tintin! Even the art is somewhat reminiscent, but the story of the quest for the Rainbow Orchid is loads of fun. It's a 1920s period piece, and works well.
It does have one minor weakness, which is the use of drunken behavior for comedic purposes, also similar to Tintin, but the violence is light and slapstick, for the most part.
Our hero gets talked into looking for a flower which may or may not exist, in order to prevent the evil bad guy from winning
Ronan O'Driscoll
Good fun. Nice period detail and remarkable pastiche of Tintin.
Muneeb
A great book for fans of tintin and ligne-claire.
Onysha
Has the same ligne claire style of drawing as Tintin. Plotline is also reminiscent of Tintin. So is the slapstick humour. It's all good fun. I quite like Ewing's depiction of nosy reporters.
Christiane
Fun, old-fashioned action and adventure as our hero Julius Chancer (historical research assistant) and beautiful sidekick Lily (silent-film actress) embark on a quest to find the rare, possibly imaginary, rainbow orchid. Fans of Tintin will really enjoy this! There are two more volumes on order at SPL.
Mimi
Apr 26, 2011 Mimi added it
A new series that caught my eye (as I am an absolute sucker for comics and graphic novels). Can’t believe they made it in two parts. WHERE’S THE REST OF THIS STORY??? I’m a little enraged and very impatient. If I choke on their cliff-hanger I’ll sue the publishers.
La
Excellent adventure story set in the 1920s, full of mystery. Really love the characters and beautifully drawn clear line style. The detail is amazing. This is book one of three volumes. Recommend it!
Siân
Excellent adventure! A worthy successor to Tin Tin.
Louise Bendall
A fun, quick adventure read for Tintin fans.
PWRL
May 17, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Tvrtko Kamen
Tvrtko Kamen marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Adventures Of Julius Chancer: The Rainbow Orchid V.2 The Complete Rainbow Orchid The Adventures Of Julius Chancer: The Rainbow Orchid V.3 The Book of the Dead