Start by marking “The Only Black Student” as Want to Read:
The Only Black Student

The Only Black Student

The Only Black Student is a book that evolved progressively from casual group and one on one discussions into written form during the latter years of Lull's undergraduate experience. On campus, Lull worked as a student ambassador for the Office of Minority Affairs. Additionally, he provided guidance to college-bound high school students who feared that they would not ...more
Published May 8th 2009 by Lull Mengesha (first published May 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Only Black Student, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Only Black Student

BMR, MSW, LSW
An interesting tale of experiences as one of very few Black students in a PWI. The author was often The Only Black Student in his classes, and the things people said and did to him are as awful as you could imagine...or worse than you could imagine, depending on your own experiences.

It reads as both a collection of cautionary tales, and a How To manual.

I wonder if it would have struck me differently, had it been out when I started college in 1988. My school seemed very diverse, but my social cir
Charlotte
May 02, 2010 Charlotte rated it liked it
This is a very useful book for anyone either teaching or learning at a University. It opened my eyes to problems I had never considered before and made me much more aware of how alienated black students can feed at a predominantly white institution. Lull Mengesha impressed me with his determination and his ability to change his study habits. The writing is a bit rough, as you would expect from a non-professional writing and it is clearly written by and for a male perspective. Still, an ...more
Charlie
Aug 09, 2016 Charlie rated it liked it
A very interesting read even though it was quite different to what I expected. I thought it would be more instructional; instead it seemed to be a commentary of the author's experiences.

For the most part these were entertaining and insightful, but many were of little use when the author discussed specific social practices, cultural nuances specific to black males or related discrimination in America.
Michele
Sep 17, 2009 Michele rated it really liked it
For any first generational college student, this is a must read. The text isn't overbearing, rather its conversational and anecdotal pace allows the reader to really get a sense of what attending a predominantly white school as a person of color in a manner that that doesn't scare but sheds light.

Having been in a similar situation as Mengesha, I'm glad to be able to reach for this book as an addendum to the questions and concerns my own children will more than likely experience.
Danielle
Sep 10, 2009 Danielle rated it really liked it
I definitely recommend this book. I wish I had this device when I was in college!! It does have a strong 'male' perspective, but it's great for any and all (including teachers and other students of non-Black ethnicity).
Jillian
Jul 31, 2015 Jillian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, race
I was reading this book at the bus stop today and it initiated a conversation with a guy who was an Only Black Student, in Missouri in the late 80's. I told him how awesome the book is and how all students should read it, not just students of color. Maybe he'll go buy a copy. I know I will.
Leah
Leah rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2010
Olivia Patrick
Olivia Patrick rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2009
Alfredo Minero
Alfredo Minero rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2011
Nadine
Nadine rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2010
Chelsea VanDeBrake
Chelsea VanDeBrake rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2013
Rahel Goom
Rahel Goom rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2013
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2009
Chalia
Chalia rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2009
Ray Payne
Ray Payne rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
1stgenstudent
1stgenstudent rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2011
Waipuna
Waipuna rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2009
Hillary
Hillary rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Ms
Ms rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2009
Mel
Mel rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2009
Dominic Castello
Dominic Castello rated it did not like it
Aug 21, 2016
Lindi
Lindi marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2009
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2009
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2010
My Tam
My Tam marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2010
H.N.
H.N. marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2010
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2010
KF
KF marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2010
M
M marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2010
Etenish
Etenish marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2011
Sonja
Sonja marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2012
Nancy Eastham
Nancy Eastham marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2013
Abdul
Abdul added it
Mar 26, 2013
Amare
Amare marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Rita Kaka
Rita Kaka marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Muhammad Abbas
Muhammad Abbas marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Katelyn
Katelyn marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Stuart Maxwell
Stuart Maxwell marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Jesi
Jesi marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015