Cape of Storms: The First Life of Adamastor: A Story

Cape of Storms: The First Life of Adamastor: A Story

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Andre Brink has earned his place among the most important authors on the international literary scene. His profound moral vision and unique ability to bring to the surface the turbulent undercurrents of South African politics and society have been hailed by reviewers of his much acclaimed novels such as A Dry White Season and A Chain of Voices. "No one writes of Africa wit...more
Published December 31st 1993 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Cape of Storms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cape of Storms

Graham Botha
A haunting tale told from the point of view of South Africa's oldest inhabitants. The elegant simplicity and the parable like style of Brink's writing capture the essence of Africa. A short read that will leave the reader with a sadness at the insensitivity of white colonialism.
Jori Richardson
In 15th Century southern Africa, a young white woman is left stranded on the shores of Cape Good Hope and found by a tribal chief, who immediately falls in love with her.
And that's basically all that happens.
I could see myself trying out another of Brink's novels in the future, as I did enjoy his sparse, earthy writing style. But that is certainly where any enjoyment of this particular book ended. I couldn't bring myself to feel any empathy for the main character, T'kama. Half the book is based...more
Maria Velkova
This is more a story than a book. One that you don't want to leave until you have finished it late in the night. It is beautiful in its simplicity, captivating in its passion, optimistic in its sadness.
Rushay Booysen
I loved this tale.It tells the story of a "white" lady who was per say captured by a khoi man.Terrible things followed the tribe since they brought this woman into their camp,the Europeans tried to kill them but they fought back and fled with the woman.In due course the lady learned to speak the language of the khoi and fell in love with the khoi man thats been courting her.I loved this read and i def need to get more books by Andre
Pksoper
I picked this book up in Jo'burg at the airport. It was quick to read. However, it is very earthy. I didn't know there were so many words for penis. I'm glad I read it; I'm glad it was short.
James Whitmore
It's academically interesting, and it has plenty of heart (and other organs), but Cape of Storms is too short to really do its subject matter justice. I suppose it is a fable.
Heidi
Found this to be an interesting take on what the native people may have looked at Europeans in Africa and how they made contact.
M C
M C marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Filipa
Filipa marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Geraldine
Geraldine marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Shirley
Shirley marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Sebastian
Sebastian marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Verity
Verity marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Leani
Leani added it
Dec 22, 2013
Adam Bettencourt
Adam Bettencourt marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Chinook
Chinook marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
André Philippus Brink is a South African novelist. He writes in Afrikaans and English and was until his retirement a Professor of English Literature at the University of Cape Town.

In the 1960s, he and Breyten Breytenbach were key figures in the Afrikaans literary movement known as Die Sestigers ("The Sixty-ers"). These writers sought to use Afrikaans as a language to speak against the apartheid go...more
More about André Brink...
A Dry White Season Philida An Instant in the Wind The Other Side of Silence Devil's Valley