Start by marking “Cape of Storms: The First Life of Adamastor: A Story” as Want to Read:
Cape of Storms: The First Life of Adamastor: A Story

Cape of Storms: The First Life of Adamastor: A Story

Andre Brink has earned his place among the most important authors on the international literary scene. His profound moral vision and unique ability to bring to the surface the turbulent undercurrents of South African politics and society have been hailed by reviewers of his much acclaimed novels such as A Dry White Season and A Chain of Voices. "No one writes of Africa wit ...more
Published December 31st 1993 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Cape of Storms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cape of Storms

Graham Botha
Nov 02, 2011 Graham Botha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A haunting tale told from the point of view of South Africa's oldest inhabitants. The elegant simplicity and the parable like style of Brink's writing capture the essence of Africa. A short read that will leave the reader with a sadness at the insensitivity of white colonialism.
Jori Richardson
In 15th Century southern Africa, a young white woman is left stranded on the shores of Cape Good Hope and found by a tribal chief, who immediately falls in love with her.
And that's basically all that happens.
I could see myself trying out another of Brink's novels in the future, as I did enjoy his sparse, earthy writing style. But that is certainly where any enjoyment of this particular book ended. I couldn't bring myself to feel any empathy for the main character, T'kama. Half the book is based
Rushay Booysen
Sep 03, 2011 Rushay Booysen rated it really liked it
I loved this tale.It tells the story of a "white" lady who was per say captured by a khoi man.Terrible things followed the tribe since they brought this woman into their camp,the Europeans tried to kill them but they fought back and fled with the woman.In due course the lady learned to speak the language of the khoi and fell in love with the khoi man thats been courting her.I loved this read and i def need to get more books by Andre
Elandré
Nov 27, 2016 Elandré rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'n Goeie boek wat jou siening oor die verlede heeltemal sal laat verander, ons geskiedenis uit die perspektief van ander. Dit is 'n verhaal wat jou oor die waardes van jou voorvaders laat twyfel, maar dit is ook 'n boek wat ek op dele skreeusnaaks gevind het.
Maria Velkova
Apr 28, 2014 Maria Velkova rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This is more a story than a book. One that you don't want to leave until you have finished it late in the night. It is beautiful in its simplicity, captivating in its passion, optimistic in its sadness.
Heidi
Feb 14, 2012 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Found this to be an interesting take on what the native people may have looked at Europeans in Africa and how they made contact.
James Whitmore
Oct 22, 2012 James Whitmore rated it liked it
It's academically interesting, and it has plenty of heart (and other organs), but Cape of Storms is too short to really do its subject matter justice. I suppose it is a fable.
Paula Soper
Jul 31, 2013 Paula Soper rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I picked this book up in Jo'burg at the airport. It was quick to read. However, it is very earthy. I didn't know there were so many words for penis. I'm glad I read it; I'm glad it was short.
Marieke Roozeboom
Marieke Roozeboom rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2013
Vizara
Vizara rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Lydia
Lydia rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Lydia Davey
Lydia Davey rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Don
Don rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2013
Jan
Jan rated it really liked it
May 18, 2012
Esmi
Esmi rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Laura rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Ian
Ian rated it liked it
May 17, 2017
Anika Mi
Anika Mi rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2013
Filip Đukić
Filip Đukić rated it did not like it
Nov 02, 2015
Florian
Florian rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2007
R.L. Martinez
R.L. Martinez rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2014
Reverbeo
Reverbeo rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2012
Chesney
Chesney rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Steve Freyne
Steve Freyne rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2013
Natasha
Natasha rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2017
Sera
Sera rated it really liked it
May 27, 2009
Annie Kok
Annie Kok rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Ellie Olivier
Ellie Olivier rated it did not like it
Dec 24, 2015
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
André Philippus Brink was a South African novelist. He wrote in Afrikaans and English and was until his retirement a Professor of English Literature at the University of Cape Town.

In the 1960s, he and Breyten Breytenbach were key figures in the Afrikaans literary movement known as Die Sestigers ("The Sixty-ers"). These writers sought to use Afrikaans as a language to speak against the apartheid go
More about André Brink...