Start by marking “One Week In December” as Want to Read:
One Week In December

One Week In December

3.07 of 5 stars 3.07  ·  rating details  ·  440 ratings  ·  79 reviews
The Rowans' rambling Maine farmhouse is just big enough to contain the family members gathered there in the week before Christmas. Becca Rowan has driven north from Boston with one thought in mind - reclaiming the daughter she gave up when she was a frightened teenager. Raised by Becca's older brother and his wife, Rain Rowan, now sixteen, has no idea she was adopted. And ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Kensington (first published September 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about One Week In December, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Week In December

Rhonda Rae Baker
Intense family drama with the tangled web we all weave. I totally related to the situtation about saving face of the family but sacrificing personal feelings. The premise of wanting to tell the truth was so strong that I was cheering and yet kringing about what it all meant. Not wanting to tell you what really happened, I will have to just say that you will love this novel. Written very well and such a page turner...I loved it and will be picking up Chamberlin again!

Second Review

Wnat an indepth
Ruth
It moved a bit slow, but a tale of a family that pushed the daughter to give her daughter up to her older brother and his wife and become the aunt. Years later, a lonely career woman, she returns home for Christmas to drop the bomb to her family that she wants to tell the now teenage girl that she is her mother. The complicated relationship of this multigenerational NE family tended to drag on, but I was expecting more of a romance. That was hinted at but just beginning at the very end of the bo ...more
Angela
Overall, I am not a fan of this author's writing style. This book has way too many exclamation points, and cheesy dialogue at times. The basic premise of the book was interesting enough to lead me to buy this book (for 40% off, but still) and left me disappointed. Could have been much, much more interesting. On a positive note, there were interesting conversations about fate, forgiveness, and what it means to be a part of a family.

But I can't really recommend this one.
Carmela
I liked the story, I liked the main character, I resented her family and their insistence that she "do the RIGHT thing." All of the tender, touching moments seemed contrived and a little judgmental. It took me forever to read and I felt a little like it was work. Good story...I liked the neighbor, but that family sucked.
Kelly
blah. I read half of this book and was so bored by the author's style that I had to put it down and say NO MORE!!! The characters are weak and uninteresting. There's no real depth to anyone. The story line could have been successful, written by another author. No more Holly Chamberlin for me.
Ann
Meh . . . it's like it was written off a template. Literally a beach read for me this week! Glad it was passed on to me and I didn't pay for it. Fine for a beach read, as it is predictable and a little banal.
Amy
One Week in December starts with a seemingly predictable family-get-together that quickly unravels to reveal the members hidden turmoil. Readers realize that city-slicker Becca is angered about going home and doesn't feel accepted by the family. As the chapters turn, the truth is revealed and that when she was a teenager she gave birth to her brother's adopted daughter. Feeling that she was forced to give up her child, she now wants to put things right and not wait until her daughter's 21st birt ...more
Clare
One of the reasons why we chose international adoption is because we didn’t want our child’s birth mother to ever change her mind, and re-claim our child. So I started this book with a bit of anxiety. Could I really be sympathetic to a woman who gives up her child and then wants her back? Turns out, no.

Becca drives up to her parents one Christmas with the intention of telling Rain, her teenage niece, the truth – that Becca is actually her mother and that Becca’s brother and his wife, who raised
Trish Ruthven
I'll give this book 3.5 stars.

This story centres around Becca Rowan, a single 32 year old, driven professional. During the week before Christmas, as the family gathers at her parents home in rural Maine, Becca reveals her decision to tell her 16 year old "niece" that Becca is actually her birth mother. When Becca got pregnant at 16, her parents, grandmother, older brother and sister-in-law arranged a not-quite legal adoption of the baby. It was decided that her brother and sister-in-law would pa
Stacey
CJC
Kristy
This is a great book for a rainy day, or a cold winter one. I spent a couple of good afternoons on the couch with some tea with this book. I have not read one of Chamberlain's novels before, even though I have a bunch in my bookcase. Becca Rowan is the quintessential workaholic. She has it all on the outside, but on the inside she's screaming. Sixteen years ago she gave birth to a girl and gave her up so that her brother and sister-in-law could raise her in a stable and traditional environment. ...more
Maggie61
Interesting dilemma. If you had a baby at sixteen and gave it up would you rather give it to a stranger and you have no contact and no idea where he/she ended up or have a sibling adopt it and know where he/she is and have a constant reminder and not being able to acknowledge who you are?

16 years after Becca's brother and wife adopted her baby girl, Becca wants it revealed that she is Rain's mother. The whole book primarily takes place during one week in December, the week before Christmas. Seve
Jenni
Liked it enough to keep reading. Very interesting in the shaping of family dynamics. I found myself agreeing with and aligning myself with each of the different characters.
Colette
"I enjoyed this book. The characters were well developed although I didn't always agree with their point of view and I would have much rather read about the sister Olivia's problem than Becca's. Becca seemed to me to have never grown out of her teen age years. Then in one week everything turns around she grows up and becomes more mature and finds a love interest. It all just seemed to happen to fast. As where Olivia is quickly going off the deep end and I would have liked to have delved deeper i ...more
Candi Berry
This was a good book, it dealt a lot with family dynamics over a secret and everyone's reaction when one of the family members involved wants to expose it.

This is my favorite passage:
"It was complicated, this thing called life. People wore masks. One person might harbor various personalities within herself, and might comprise several layers of characters. And because of this, a person might never, ever know for sure if or when she was doing the right thing or the best thing or the smartest thin
Jenn O'Brien
I liked that I picked up this book during Christmas week, because that is exactly when it takes place. I read the majority of the book on the plane flight to Denver as I was heading home for Christmas. The beginning of the book got me interested in the story, but then it began to drag a little and I began skimming. A lot of the characters were quick on the draw with their judgement calls, but then it all came together to be drawn up like a bow. Much like the characters comment in the book, it se ...more
Jessica
I had very low expectations of this book having found it in the bookstore with no recommendations and not having read any reviews. So maybe that is why it was so wonderful to me. Surprisingly wonderful. It lacked the sentimentality that I expected to make the story flat. Not too Christmas-y, not too sappy, just right. The characters were developed beautifully and plausibly. They felt like a real family. And it was easy to sympathize with each of their plights - even the ones that going into the ...more
Tammy Diener
Kinda of slow. I was more interested in the support characters than the main character.
Anita Johnson
This is not your everyday Christmas story. It is more like how the Grinch, named Becca, plotted to steal her family's Christmas joy by reclaiming what was rightfully hers. It has a slow, rather annoying beginning but redeems itself pretty much in the middle and toward the end. I had planned to give it only two stars since it is preachy and predictable but I enjoyed the characters, even the curmudgeons, and found myself smiling a lot through it. That has to be worth an extra star.
Sandra
I loved the family dynamics in this book. This was by no means a perfect family and yet they weren't so dysfunctional as to be unbelievable. Just a normal family dealing with some fairly big issues and at Christmas! The story moved along at a good pace and kept me turning the pages to find out how it would all turn out. Good story....
Michelle
nice and lite reading
Karen
I wanted to like this book and the characters, but I just didn't. I never really could get into the characters. Ms. Chamberlin had too many characters and didn't explore them enough. Could have went without the story of Olivia which I never quite understood. She could have explored the relationship between Becca and her Father a little more. The overall story was a good idea, but Ms. Chamberlin built up this huge secret that really wasn't.
Manda A
Here's the gist. At age 16 Becca gets pregnant. Gives her kid to her brother and his wife. Cut to 16 years later and she regrets it. Wants the kid back. Problems arise amongst rest of the family.

I enjoyed parts of this book. I felt connected with Becca. Not due to a baby or anything. But the way she was AFTER the baby. Her desire to be alone. I felt this book drug on though. I expected it to end a few times but it kept going.
Wanda Gibbons
Family drama over Christmas. Becca wants to reclaim her 16 year old daughter from her brother and sister-in-law who have raised her. Everyone in the family knows and have kept the secret of Rain's parentage. Many family members seem to have issues unbeknown to others that for various reasons come to life. Becca and Alex meet and come to know each other in possibly her first romantic encounter since her teenage years.
Kristy Trauzzi
I started feeling it and then I stopped and I found it difficult to finish. I come from a big family and every year we meet up at my parents and it's big and busy and bustling yet I still feel very alone. However, their reasons were hard to feel for and the way they resolved them were just no very good. I'm doing this . . . Someone says something . . . oh maybe I don't feel like that anymore. UGH. Just saying.
Kate
Bit predictable and kind of sappy...but there were some some pithy commentaries about life and relationships esp among family members. Liked this quote: "Life could so easily change in the blink of an eye...could so easily be changed to a path unimagined. Sometimes that path was smoother and wider than the bumpy, narrow path you had been trudging along in the first place." Yeah, I like that.
Cathie
How did good, decent parents raise such absolutely horrible kids. The older ones were selfish, arrogant, and just beyond likable. How did anyone put up with them? And why are we reading about them? And the 20 year old was beyond naïve. The conversations she had with her grandmother would be ok if she was 6 years old...not 20 years old. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible.
Jill Madsen
Glad she decided against telling Rain she was her actual mother... sometimes the things we decide to keep to ourselves are just better always kept a secret... I wish the book would have done some flashbacks to create a better understanding of what happened when she got pregnant, went to live with her brother and his wife, and her giving them the baby.
Heathergrady
Too many characters to keep track of in this lightweight family novel. Good story premise--younger daughter gives her baby to her older brother and wife when she becomes pregnant at 16. 16 years later, she wonders if she's made the right choice. A quick romance is tossed in at the end, leaving me wanting for more.
  • Finding Gloria ~ Special Edition
  • The Way We Really Are: Coming to Terms with America's Changing Families
  • An Amish Christmas
  • 'Tis The Season
  • Stalking the Soul: Emotional Abuse and the Erosion of Identity
  • The Deep Blue Sea for Beginners (Newport, Rhode Island, #2)
  • When Lightning Strikes
Holly Chamberlin is a native New Yorker, but she now lives in Portland, Maine - the aftermath of stumbling across Mr. Right at the one moment she wasn't watching the terrain. She's been writing and editing - poetry, children's fantasies, a romance novel or two, among many other genres and projects - her entire life. She has two cats, Betty and Cyrus, and when she's not writing her hobbies include ...more
More about Holly Chamberlin...
Summer Friends Tuscan Holiday The Summer Of Us Last Summer Living Single