Start by marking “Zones of Thought: A Fire Upon the Deep / A Deepness in the Sky (Vernor Vinge Omnibus)” as Want to Read:

Zones of Thought: A Fire Upon the Deep / A Deepness in the Sky (Zones of Thought #1-2)

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Vinge's masterpieces together at last, in one epic volume.

The Hugo Award winning A FIRE UPON THE DEEP and its epic companion novel A DEEPNESS IN THE SKY, set in the same universe but 20,000 years earlier, were benchmarks for SF in the last decade of the 20th century.

In FIRE 'Vinge presents a galaxy divided into Zones - regions where different physical constraints allow ver
Published October 21st 2010 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about Zones of Thought, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zones of Thought

SubterraneanCatalyst -Censorship is for the Weak
I'm giving this 3 1/2 stars. (is there a way to give half stars? lol)

This is a good book but I didn't walk away feeling amazed or really reveling over everything that happens like I would a truly amazing book.
I can't write a summary without major spoilers so suffice it to say that essentially humans are space traders, the Qeng Ho, or those that stick to a planet mostly. One of the fleets of Qeng Ho heads for a system that hasn't been explored and promises much fortune and contact with the first
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Aug 21, 2013 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Science Fiction Fans
I love me a good space opera--and this is one both grand and original. This is known as the Zones of Thought series because of the structure of Vinge's imagined galaxy. In it, there are various zones that allow for different levels of tech and intelligence. In the "Mindless Depths" of the Galactic core no intelligent life is possible. The zone of "Great Slowness" that contains the now dead Earth contains intelligent life, yes, but you must go father out into the "Beyond" for faster than light tr ...more
Steve Wasling
As this monster book contains two often recommended novels by Vernor Vinge, I'm going to review them separately as they are really quite different. I had (half) written a longer review but due to a slip of the back button on my browser I lost it and had to start again!

** A Fire Upon the Deep - 4/5 stars **

I have tried to read this novel some time ago but found it way too hard to get into, not least because of a scene near the beginning (a family being killed in front of their children!) that was
Fraa
so I have several questions about a Deepness in the Sky. there's plenty of SPOILERS here so STOP reading now if you have not yet read this book. STOP READING UNLESS YOU WANT TO KNOW THE END. STOP NOW.

i finished the book today and enjoyed reading it very much.

but i came away confused at the end. i still do not understand how the spiders were able to communicate with the humans and sabotage their plans. what did i miss?

i re-read all the explanations of videomancy: "...the superstition that if you
Sonia
how many ways can you tell a story? Apparently more then 4, 5? This book tells a longwinded story from several points of view. I think it would have been better with less talk and more action. But that's usually my opinion about most things.
Indigo
Jul 07, 2014 Indigo marked it as to-read
Recommended by Amy Gahran
James Broussard
I was unimpressed with this book. After all the great books that have been nominated for the Hugo and Nebula that described truly alien civilizations it is depressing to read this Hugo winner which has a whole variety of alien cultures that talk think and act just like human beings.

That was the one part I was never able to get past, though now that I've got that out of my system I'd say this book was just okay, but to enter it with muted expectations.
Magnus Itland
I began reading this book, but realized that I no longer have the interest for science fiction that I used to have. It is not a judgment of the book, which seems excellent and to be recommended for those who still enjoy the genre.
Ed Smith
Read Deepness seperately then thought I might as well buy both together - a little disappointed with Fire, just seemed a little too superficial compared to Deepness without the darkness that makes sci-fi so good!
Cailan
"a fire upon the deep" was pretty good, but I thought "a deepness in the sky" was excellent.
Kevin
reading this book I get the name "Pham Nuwen" stuck in my head.
John Brosz
First two books were excellent, the last one was only okay.
Gilad
Gilad marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Johnnie Birch
Johnnie Birch marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Alex B
Alex B marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Frederick Gault
Frederick Gault marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Milen Kindekov
Milen Kindekov marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Oscar Sanchez
Oscar Sanchez is currently reading it
Dec 07, 2014
Dom
Dom added it
Dec 03, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
  • Polystom: Two Universes in One Reality
  • Shades (Roswell #1)
  • The Endymion Omnibus
  • Dirge (Founding of the Commonwealth, #2)
  • Peace & War (The Forever War Omnibus, #1-3)
  • Restoration (Star Trek: New Frontier, #11)
  • Ender's Game Ultimate Collection
  • Seas of Venus (Seas of Venus, #1-2)
  • Last and First Men/Star Maker
  • Human Is?: A Philip K. Dick Reader (Gollancz S.F.)
  • Metal Swarm (The Saga of Seven Suns, #6)
  • Helliconia Trilogy
  • The Nano Flower (Greg Mandel, #3)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 5
  • Expendable (Expendables, #1)
  • The Bookman Histories (The Bookman Histories, #1-3)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind: The Complete Series
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 1 (Dragon Ball VIZBIG Edition, #1)
Vernor Steffen Vinge is a retired San Diego State University Professor of Mathematics, computer scientist, and science fiction author. He is best known for his Hugo Award-winning novels A Fire Upon The Deep (1992), A Deepness in the Sky (1999) and Rainbows End (2006), his Hugo Award-winning novellas Fast Times at Fairmont High (2002) and The Cookie Monster (2004), as well as for his 1993 essay ...more
More about Vernor Vinge...
A Fire Upon the Deep (Zones of Thought, #1) A Deepness in the Sky (Zones of Thought, #2) Rainbows End The Peace War (Across Realtime, #1) Marooned in Realtime (Across Realtime, #2)