How to Never Look Fat Again: Over 1,000 Ways to Dress Thinner--Without Dieting!

How to Never Look Fat Again: Over 1,000 Ways to Dress Thinner--Without Dieting!

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  56 reviews
The new groundbreaking style-guide from bestseller author Charla Krupp on how to look 10 pounds lighter, 10 years younger and 10 times sexier every day, all year--in summer, winter, at the gym, even in a swimsuit!

You'll never get dressed the same way again once you discover:

*smart, easy ways to hide arm flap, a big bust, a muffin top, back fat, Buddha belly, a big booty, w...more
Published March 10th 2010 by Grand Central Life & Style

Gail Cooke
As they say, clothes make the man. Well, Charla Krupp shows us how clothes can remake the woman. HOW TO NEVER LOOK FAT AGAIN not only shows us with pages of color photos but also tells how, what, and why - for instance, how a petite can look extra glam in supple cowls and v-neck sleeveless tops and why she shouldn't wear scrunch-down turtles or boxy crews. And, what a woman after forty can do about the "flappies" - that unattractive loose skin underneath our arms.

Is there a woman on planet Earth...more
Cory
The author begins this book with a very nice intro where she talks about how sometimes you're just heavier than you want to be and it's not your fault and people are prejudiced against fat people and stereotype them as being lazy. Then, she goes on in the next paragraph to say that it would seem that people would stop going through the drive-through for fries and burgers and shakes. So, it's not okay to think that all fat people are lazy, but it IS okay to think they're all gluttons. This does n...more
Chrissy

I was happy to get the opportunity to review and giveaway the Book How to never look fat again. So all my winners should be receiving their copy shortly.

This book has over 1,000 tips so that you don't look fat. This isn't a diet book it tells you how to look thinner with out putting yourself threw all that dieting. The tips are on the clothing, the way you wear your hair, cosmetic and other related tips.

I love how the book tells you how to wear something to make you look thinner plus it has colo...more
Emily
Got this free from Goodreads giveaway. It was a little text heavy. I would have preferred more pictures. The few that were in there (high fat vs. no fat) were well done. I did enjoy the author's humor and there are tips that I will definitely take away.

Umm.. why in the world did she include pictures of models and celebrities who do not need to dress to hide flaws? That seemed to contradict the whole point of the book. Case in point - Jada Pinkett Smith in the chapter about disguising arms. Hell...more
Andrea
The baby's now 4, I'm almost back to my pre-pregnancy weight, and I am back to my old jean size. Still, certain clothes don't look as adorable as they once did. How to Never Look Fat Again to the rescue.

This book is not targeted at seriously overweight women, but at women who would ideally like to lose 5-20 pounds for aesthetic purposes and who have a few trouble spots that they'd like to disguise. Like my post-pregnancy muffin top (which I'm sure is going to melt away one of these days, darn it...more
Emily
I just do not look the same as I did before I pooped out a baby. I figured that I'd cheat and try to just dress skinny rather than actually do anything about it. At this point I am trying to clean out my cupboards so that I don't have to move lots of food to my new house. I never realized how many cake mixes I had. Well, it'll be tough, but I'm going to do my best to get rid of (read: stuff my face with) them all.

Anyway, I liked this book, but as all 'how to dress' books do they don't always ad...more
Diane
I really enjoyed Charla Krupp's 2009 book a lot: How Not To Look Old , so when I read she had a new book out, I was curious. Okay, the title caught my eye, but seriously, "what woman does not was to look thinner, WITHOUT DIETING", I ask? How To Never Look Fat Again is fantastic!

Did you ever put on a piece of clothing and asked "Does this make me look fat"? The truth is, if you thought it or, if you had to ask that question, you really already knew the answer --didn't you? Do you want to learn h...more
Connie
Well, if you're in a hotel room with some friends late at night with little sleep in the past week, this is a great book to go through and laugh.

Otherwise, just leave this one where it is.

There are the couple of "real" women pictures in each section, but then all the other pictures? Come on. When has Courteney Cox EVER been chubby. When has Kelly Ripa had flabby arms? When has Demi Moore ever had a budda belly? I mean, even pregnant, she was amazing!

Ridiculous pictures. Great concept, but ridicu...more
Jessica
The great thing about this book is that it includes tips EVERYONE can use, whether or not you're overweight! It covers all the typical problem areas, such as wide hips & thighs, big booty, back fat, wide face, and buddha belly. It also includes sections for dressing in the summer, winter, and for working out. There are tons of tips for losing weight and "no fat shopping", plus plenty of photos to make all the ideas easy to understand.
Jennifer Defoy
I'm a big girl, and even though in the beginning Krupp states that obese (anyone over 50 pounds) should loose weight before using these tips I think that anyone can really benefit from dressing nicer. I've always been taught that feeling good about yourself is the best way to make a change. If you dress up you feel better, and to keep that feeling you are then more willing to make other changes (such as loosing weight).

I like how the book was broken down. Krupp goes through each of the problem...more
Anna Phoenix
Dec 07, 2011 Anna Phoenix rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Women
(The internets ate my review of this book three times. I think it might be a sign.)

I had blasted the book Oh No She Didn't because I don't believe that society should tell someone that what they choose to wear is wrong. That one is based on opinion and the ever-changing rules of fashion and societal norms.

This book, on the other hand, is not about what is "right" or "stylish"; it's about what the eye sees and how to minimize one's flaws and emphasize positive points. After all, even a petite siz...more
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
May 26, 2010 Shellie (Layers of Thought) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women and girls interested in looking thinner

This is a good book on how to dress so that you look slimmer - and what woman/girl could not use that? She has a great number of excellent suggestions and is very firm on what she believes works, and from my experience do.

She include pictures and examples where one can skim a few sections and start to implement the ideas (immediately) for specific figure flaws. I love before and after pictures... and the models are not waifs. This is a definite plus!

Being in the beauty industry for years I enjoy...more
Kristina
I do have quite a bit to say about this one. There is some GREAT advice on dressing to look your best in this book. I'm not a fan of dieting books but this is something I would purchase. While healthier eating is promoted (along with exercise) it is NOT shoved down your throat. I liked that! This was more along the lines of being happy in your body, and making that body work for YOU!
I actually already follow a lot of the advice in the book because being a plus size woman I am aware of how I dre...more
♦Jennifer♦
It's odd, but I never entered to win this book. Somehow though it made it's way to my door. And so I will dutifully give my review.

I've been watching What Not to Wear for as long as I can remember. Paid attention when Stacy and Clinton talked about the importance of a-line skirts and empire waist lines for women that want to camouflage some things they don't like about their bodies.

Krupp's book goes along these same lines. Giving advice to overweight women on how to dress in a slimming fashion...more
Cynthia
With a title and layout like a magazine article (lots of pictures, lists), but with actually useful tips. Charla goes through many of a woman's "problem areas" section by section, giving mostly helpful advice for:
-wide face
-wide hips+thighs
-big booty
-heavy calves
-wide feet+ankles

However, as you can tell, it'd be easy to obsess over how your normal body is suddenly riddled with all these "fat" areas. So this book should...more
Katie
Not really sure how to rate this book. It had some Interesting tips that work great…however (1)the choice to use models and actresses to demonstrate them is STUPID. I mean hello I want to see how it looks on a real woman not how it looks on someone within 6 lbs of their ideal skinny weight (trust me a chapter on how to hide belly fat that shows a model in lacy boy shorts with 1/8 of an inch of stomach protruding out from the waistband is just annoying). (2) Advising me to get botox rather than u...more
Kerry White
This book is awesome! I am surprised it doesn't have better reviews. The author contrasts common errors women make that affect certain parts of their bodies with better solutions. For instance, if you're top heavy, you make yourself look more top heavy by wearing short skirts and dresses. Actually the same is true for bottom heavy women. Some of the transformations are kind of stunning because you can see it's the same model and how the changes mask the problem area. The book covers about 10 pro...more
Holly
How Not to Look Fat Ever Again was an impulse buy at Costco, but I thought the information I got from it was worth the money. Charla Krupp has been a magazine editor for many years and she really knows what she's talking about.

There were some tips in the book that I felt were rather obvious, but others that I had never thought of and really really great ideas. Some of her suggestions are impractical for me, as I don't have the money to get rid of all my unflattering clothes and buy a whole new...more
Erin
This book could have used more pictures of regular women with regular curves.... That aside....

There actually are some good tips in here for how to find clothes that flatter your body shape, which, honestly, is not something I had ever given that much thought. Actually, I never give my clothes much thought at all.

But after reading this (ok- I confess: I didn't read it cover-to-cover. I read the parts that seemed relevant to me)I have some better ideas on what I should be looking for the next tim...more
Karen
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads. I found it to be helpful and informative. While some things I simply can not do (throw out all my underwear and just wear shape wear is neither in my budget nor something I would willingly do) most are very realistic and helpful (I particularly liked the swimsuit tips since I need a new one this year). The only downside to the book for me is that it specifically pointed to the pair of jeans I'm wearing as not flattering. While I knew that already it...more
MissJessie--former librarian
This book was fairly interesting to read, and showed many different ways to disguise various figure flaws such as a big tush, big bust, big belly, flat chest, etc. It is nicely illustrated and fairly well written.

I gave it only 2 stars because although the material is well presented and seems well though out, it did not tell me anything I had not read in many other places. There were no startling revelations, just things along the lines of "don't wear big horizontal strips if you have a big rear...more
Mel
Some of the examples are good, others are not. The 37 things she wishes she knew sooner and she'd be thinner are somewhat inane. It's never too late for somewhat to eat healthier. Take the book with a grain of salt. I liked the before and after pictures of the women in the book, but not the examples of the women in hollywood. I think the book would be better showing more women NOT in the public eye that so many women seem to compare themselves to. Only compare yourself to yourself and listen to...more
Lisa
Some easy to follow advice for deemphasizing "trouble" areas. The amount of money and time one might have to invest to implement it, though, could be great. I found two issues off-putting. The first is the many photos of celebrities to show women who are "working it." These examples don't support the author's message since they don't have "trouble areas" to conceal. The second is the author throws in quite a bit of advice about diet, which, although it mostly seems reasonable, may be beyond her...more
Nollie
Good information regarding how to dress your body when you have different trouble areas. It seems like it basically boils down to the fact that we all need to wear Shapewear. :-) A.k.a. Spanx. I check this out to get some tips for how to dress a post three baby body. She also suggests that you ruthlessly edit your closet and only keep those things that really do look good on you and not feel bad about the ones that you don't anymore because our bodies change over the years whether by hormones or...more
Michele
Charla Krupp, Thanks a million. I feel like I could shop for myself now without feeling out of my element. I'm 45 and I've never felt like that. I have tools and I know how to use them. That is what a good book can do. This book is easy to use. Go to the area you know you have a problem with and get the solutions quick. I know a team of people work on book cudos to the whole team on this one. It's a great find.
Bridget
I adore this book! I never thought that just by dressing different, I can look slimmer. I always figured that how I looked in one outfit was how I would look in another. Thinking like that was dead wrong. I took a couple of outfits out of my closet and paired them up using some of Charla's tips. I felt more confident right away because I looked GOOD! Go get this book, you'll be glad you did.
Gennifer Miller
More for the pretty girl (or in the case of the practical girl, our pretty sides) than for the practical girl as one of her many suggestions is for you not to wear a backpack but rather to carry a large tote. However that doesn't work for me, because sometimes I need to pick up groceries, toiletries, etc while I'm out and I use public transit, so a large tote isn't my best option.
Margaret
This was a book giveaway. Very well done. Informative, funny, on spot. If you want to pick up a quick tip to give yourself a boost, this is a good place to start. In addition, the book is well made, the paper is top quality, the font is big enough to read easily. I was impressed. Thanks for sending me a copy.
Nicole
Mar 11, 2010 Nicole rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
My rating might be unfair since I'm totally not the demographic for this book. Even so, I thought it was a bit wordy without enough illustrations of what looks good and before/after shots. I was, however, pleased to learn that I can wear the things Krupp says are "don'ts" for the women she is writing for.
Abby
May 18, 2010 Abby marked it as to-read
I have my own tip for Mormon gals: wear one piece garments under any snug fitting outfit. It takes off 5 pounds, because the little roll/indentation produced by the garment band disappears. Also, under dresses, they never come untucked like two piece tops always do. This was an amazing discovery for me.
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • Style A to Zoe: The Art of Fashion, Beauty, & Everything Glamour
  • How to Have Style
  • The Little Black Book of Style
  • Ugly Beauty: Helena Rubinstein, L'Oreal, and the Blemished History of Looking Good
  • Oh No She Didn't: The Top 100 Style Mistakes Women Make and How to Avoid Them
  • The Lucky Shopping Manual
  • Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste & Style
  • Bobblehead Dad: 25 Life Lessons I Forgot I Knew
  • Three Black Skirts: All You Need to Survive
  • Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me: A Unique Guide to Over 35,000 Products, Plus the Latest Skin-Care Research
  • The Modern Girl's Guide to Life
  • Perfumes: The Guide
  • Attack Your Day!: Before It Attacks You
Charla Krupp has done more than 100 style segments on The Today Show and she has appeared on Good Morning America, Oprah, The View, Dateline NBC, and has been a regular on The E! Channel and Home Shopping Network. She was beauty director of Glamour, editor of In Style, beauty editor for People's Style Watch and executive editor of Shop Etc. Magazine. Her writing has appeared in The New York Times,...more
More about Charla Krupp...
How Not to Look Old: Fast and Effortless Ways to Look 10 Years Younger, 10 Pounds Lighter, 10 Times Better How to Never Look Fat Again: Over 1,000 Ways to Dress Thinner--Without Dieting!