Start by marking “A Survey of the Old Testament” as Want to Read:
A Survey of the Old Testament

A Survey of the Old Testament

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The purpose of studying the Old Testament is to understand God and his redemptive work more fully. However, this goal is complicated by the fact that it was transmitted through a very different language and culture from our own. A Survey of the Old Testament provides an indispensable guide for undergraduate students and other readers by exploring the literary, historical, ...more
Hardcover, 3rd, 799 pages
Published February 5th 2009 by Zondervan (first published May 1991)

To ask other readers questions about A Survey of the Old Testament, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Survey of the Old Testament

Bret James Stewart
This book provides a nice introduction to the books of the Old Testament in an accessible way. To begin with, the cover art is attractive. In fact, the book abounds with colour pictures and charts that really help the beginner or even the mid-level student/reader to understand the historical and cultural elements of the O.T. The pictures at the beginning of the chapters, in particular, really bring the book in question to life with a photo of something pertinent to that book.

This is a survey tex
Tung
I found Carson & Moo’s Introduction to the New Testament a thorough and extensive informational text about the New Testament, and I was hoping for a similar experience in Hill & Walton’s survey text on the Old Testament. Unfortunately, that was not the case. I should have lowered my expectations given this was published by Zondervan. Zondervan is to Bible summaries what USA Today is to journalism – that’s a backhanded compliment, not a compliment. A la USA Today, Hill & Walton’s book ...more
Alyssa
Accessible for undergraduates, but also thorough and does not skip over the hard spots like many intros do. Hill and Walton each cover the books where their scholarly strengths lie. Also, as a teacher the discussion questions at the end of each chapter were invaluable to get my students talking.
Kev Chambers
Everyone one should own an introduction or overview for both old & new testaments
L. R. Bouligny Bouligny
The title says it all. It is a fine survey of all the books of the Old Testament, with additional subjects discussed, such as what place archaeology has in biblical studies, geography of Israel, and how the OT affects the NT. Good book--I will keep it as a reference. A newer edition just came out (03/09) with updates and color pictures. If you are going to get this, buy that one.
Richard Cleary
Solid evangelical perspective on the Hebrew Scriptures. Seems to stand in a non-replacement theological/supercessionism perspective. I used it in a seminary class so I was able to read through a lot of chapters. It really seeks intently to help you understand each book for the contemporary world.
Nate
This is a fantastic study supplement. Anytime I start to read an Old Testament book I will make sure to read the appropriate chapters in Hill/Walton. It does great work with historical, archeological, and geographical material helping to give a broader sense of of what is going on.
Hardin
The best book on the Old Testament I've ever come across. Detailed and precise. Amazingly thorough and exhaustive for the size of it. There are better books on individual OT texts, but none I know of in regards to tackling the entire OT in one volume. I highly recommend it.
Timothy Olson
The intro alone is worth a ton of money - as the authors lay out how to approach the Bible and especially the Old Testament. The authors are intellectually honest evangelicals. I can't always agree with them, but I love their approach and their honesty.
Michael Porter
Great, easy to read book going over every section of the Old Testament in detail, but not so much detail you get bogged down. Had some cool sections on archeology and covers civilizations other than the Jews around the same timeframe.
Matthew Robbins
A little dry in some places, but overall, a very good summary of the Old Testament books. The authors do a good job of summarizing the text and the key themes without simply walking through each book.
Peter
This is a great book for anyone who has read the OT before but wants to go deeper. It is not designed to be a reading guide but could be used as such. I have read it twice and use it at a resource.
John Weathersby
Balanced view delivered on different issues. Very careful to take a stance on anything such as authorship. Look to Johnny Mac for a serious stand! :)
Joshua Duffy
very succinct. unless you've done a bunch of study on the Old Testament then you will find this short survey quite helpful and enlightening.
Jadezaa Jacobs
this is a great book to study every book in the OT... it's details regarding the background of each book... love to reread it many times!
Peter
Good survey type book for the Old Testament. Good inclusion of other ancient Near Eastern cultures so give a more comprehensive treatment.
Matt
A great overview of each of the Old Testament books. This book is perfect for Old Testament beginners like me.
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Jan Esterhuizen
Jan Esterhuizen marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Julie
Julie is currently reading it
Apr 11, 2015
Percy Day
Percy Day marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
  • A Survey of the New Testament
  • The Cradle, the Cross, and the Crown: An Introduction to the New Testament
  • Jesus and the Gospels
  • Encountering the Old Testament: A Christian Survey (Encountering Biblical Studies)
  • Kingdom of Priests: A History of Old Testament Israel
  • The Gospel According to John
  • The Epistle to the Romans
  • God's Glory in Salvation through Judgment
  • An Old Testament Theology: An Exegetical, Canonical, and Thematic Approach
  • Evangelical Dictionary of Theology
  • Interpreting the Pauline Epistles
  • A Survey of Old Testament Introduction
  • Historical Theology: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine: A Companion to Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology
  • An Introduction to the Old Testament
  • The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology, #6)
  • Paul: Apostle of the Heart Set Free
  • Grasping God's Word: A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible
  • The Letter to the Romans
Enter His Courts with Praise!: Old Testament Worship for the New Testament Church 1 and 2 Chronicles Malachi Baker's Handbook Of Bible Lists Baker's Handbook of Bible Lists