Start by marking “A Visit From Sir Nicholas” as Want to Read:
A Visit From Sir Nicholas

A Visit From Sir Nicholas (Effingtons #9)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,002 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews

Everyone knows that an Effington always getsher way ... but this time it's not going to be easy!

Lady Elizabeth Effington simply could not suitably feel the joy of the Christmas season. Ten years had passed since she had boldly declared her love for Sir Nicholas Collingsworth. He rebuffed her and set out to seek his fortunes, while Elizabeth was left a woman scorned. Now, s

Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published November 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Visit From Sir Nicholas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Visit From Sir Nicholas

Rachel (BAVR)
Puzzling fact: This is the first Christmas romance I've read. This is puzzling because I LOVE Christmas. I'm the type of jolly elf who makes hot cocoa and starts decorating the house the moment Hallmark Channel begins to air their cycle of Christmas movies. I take this shit seriously, is all. Consequently, even though A Visit from Sir Nicholas wasn't exactly gripping fiction, I tore through it like Buddy the Elf hopped up on candy canes. Because CHRISTMAS, you guys!

And the best part of all? Bac
Judy
Aug 28, 2011 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story seemed a little different then the others as it takes place 10 years after we first meet the characters. Also it is quite a few years after the other books and Elizabeth, Jules and Jonathan are the grown children of Thomas & Marianne Effington. Thomas is now the Duke.

Jonathan is friends with Charles and Nicholas. Since they were very young it was expected that Charles and Elizabeth would one day marry. Nicholas had come to live with his Uncle at around age 10, after his parents di
Lisa
Feb 19, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was fast paced. Once you meet Elizabeth, you have to like her. Her tendency to want to hide the fact that she's smart rings true even today. I loved Lizzie's sister, Jules. She was a fun character. There were parts of the story that had me laughing e.g. "The Pirate King and the Lusty Wench". If you've read the story, you'll remember what I'm talking about. If not, trust me it was a fun part to read.

I liked how the author had Nicholas interact with Lizzie's two sons. So often children
Maura
Bewitched
3.5
LaNita Herlem
Feb 18, 2015 LaNita Herlem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
LOVE a book that makes me laugh out loud! What a cool character Nicholas is! I think I fell in love with him a bit myself!
Kimberly
Nov 21, 2010 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very romantic Christmas story with a fun "A Christmas Carol" spin to the tale.
Kimberlee
Feb 20, 2008 Kimberlee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took me a little longer to get into this one- but once I did it was well worth it!
Michelle Bacon
Jul 29, 2014 Michelle Bacon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This book is true romance reading. Somehow, with that in mind, I managed to be entertained by it. Not altogether sure how that happened but Victoria Alexander did just that. I'm not a fan of romance books because of the standard formula all romance writers use: heroine falls for hero, heroine somehow manages to drive hero away, hero and heroine marry and live happily ever after. Yeah, it's old and predictable. This story had hints of that but managed to hold my interest.
Heroine loses husband to
Suzanne
Jul 19, 2014 Suzanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Borrowed this review that sums up my reaction (although I didn't even find the Xmas elements all that significant!):

Patria
Lara
Dec 08, 2012 Lara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-in-2012
A entertaining Christmas romance that follows the main characters from the past (with foolish choices), to the present (when they have to face up to the results of their choices), to a brief future interlude that lets us know how well it all turned out. I did not realize this book was far into a series about a certain family, but am not surprised. Fortunately, there did not seem to be any spoilers as other characters' stories were not addressed much at all.

As far as the main romance goes, I eve
Gaile
Dec 03, 2011 Gaile rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 19th-century
Elizabeth Effington gives A Christmas Carol which has just been published to Nicholas Collingsworth who is planning to seek his fortune in America. Before he leaves, she asks him to take her with him but believing she would be better off to his friend, Charles. he refuses.
Elizabeth then Charles, has two sons and then Charles suddenly dies. Three years later, Nicholas returns. Up to until point, the novel was slow paced and the dialogue rather long winded but it gathers steams with Nicholas's re
Kate
I'd say this was a 2.5, but as it's a Christmas novel and it's Christmas time, I'm feeling generous of spirit. I will say that it is not at all what the blurb implied that it would be, which was a relief to be honest. I found the whole thing rather charming, but really lacking in depth, and while it was incredibly repetitive, it was also too short. I know this is a complaint I reiterate often, but this felt like a solid first draft that could have done with a few more thorough revisions.

Also, t
Melissa
Dec 26, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic-reads
Eh, it was a nice, quick Christmas read tied very closely to Dickens's A CHRISTMAS CAROL. It had some parts that seemed repetitive (in one chapter Nick dithers over whether he still love Elizabeth, and then the next chapter Elizabeth dithers of the same issue with all the same reasoning). I also found Nick's way of getting Elizabeth's attention was childish as was Elizabeth's habit of throwing vases.

But Elizabeth's kids were really cute and the Pirate King chapter was very sweet.

(Even though thi
Karen Grage
Jan 02, 2016 Karen Grage rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There wasn't a whole lot of 'tooth' to this story but it was well written and enjoyable. Perfect for the season.
Michelle
Jan 20, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
nicholas and Elizabeth. He's loved her for years, and went away when she married his friend. Very funny book.
Ashley
Aug 02, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has to be one of my absolute favorites by Victoria Alexander and I just love the Effington's.

Lady Elizabeth Effington is a wonderful character , so full of life. And man does she have a temper. And then we have Sir Nicholas Collingsworth. He is such a stubborn man, who walked away from Elizabeth once and broke her heart. And now that he's back and seen how much Elizabeth has changed , he finds himself falling for her. And Elizabeth wants no part of it.

I absolutely loved both characters and
Eskimo Princess Jenkins
Great read for around Christmas time. Ms Alexander incorporated A Christmas Carol into the story very well.
I really loved the romance between Lizzie and Nick. It was described well as a Grand Passion or Grand Madness. Lizzie was relate able to with her reactions and feelings to Nick even after being apart for 10 years.
What I didn't like was how she was behaving when she was younger,acting flighty, as to attract more attention than she would have if she showed her true self. As she is now older a
Loren.C
Jul 01, 2015 Loren.C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A more serious version of What Happened At Christmas by the same author.
Dvaughan
Jun 06, 2014 Dvaughan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An awesome romance, great characters, great humor, terrific book!
Jessi
Mar 25, 2010 Jessi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed may of the earlier Effington books but this book dragged on WAY too long. Too much exposition made it a lot longer than it could have been, would have been much more enjoyable as a short story. Basically, Lady Elizabeth Effington falls in love with her brother's friend, Sir Nicholas but he feels he has nothing to offer so he encourages her to marry someone else. Her husband dies right after she finds love letters addressed to him from another woman. The two things combine to make Eliza ...more
Tahyun
Dec 17, 2015 Tahyun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It felt to me that this book got fairly mixed reviews, but I had been meaning to read it for a few years now, so I finally did. Actually, I really liked it! I thought the two main characters were drawn really well, and if I found them a tad bit annoying from time to time - well, it felt rather realistic really, people being as flawed and defensive as they usually are. I did think at the end the conflict was a little forced but otherwise I thought it was a great Christmas read, full of warm fuzzi ...more
Heather
Jun 27, 2015 Kaye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!!!
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
cute holiday centered story from one of my favorite historical romance writers...
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Nicolas and Elizabeth seemed to be destined for each other until he left for the east to chase his dreams and she wed a man who was more friend than lover. 10 years later, Elizabeth is a widow and Nick has come home a wealthy man who is still in love with her. Arguments abound because Elizabeth is stubbornly avoiding their remaining love for each other, and lives resume the way they were always supposed to be. Great read!!
April
A delicious Regency read!! Engaging characters and an entertaining plot line. Nice amount of steam to keep the story popping!

They really are quite a pair! Such an entertaining tale, much farce!

I love a lively historical with all the pomp and circumstance! Really enjoyable read!

A fun series.
  • Brazen Temptress (Brazen, #3)
  • Secrets of a Perfect Night
  • A Christmas Bride (Stapleton-Downes, #7)
  • The Bachelor List (Matchmaker Duncan Sisters, #1)
  • The Spy (Liar's Club #3)
  • The Lady Is Tempted
  • Christmas Angel (Company of Rogues, #3)
  • Season for Temptation (Holiday Pleasures, #1)
  • The Golden Leopard
  • Christmas Revels
  • The Wedding Night of an English Rogue (Boscastle, #3)

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,
More about Victoria Alexander...

Effingtons (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Wedding Bargain (Effingtons, #1)
  • The Husband List (Effingtons, #2)
  • The Marriage Lesson (Effingtons, #3)
  • The Prince's Bride (Effingtons, #4)
  • Her Highness, My Wife (Effingtons, #5)
  • Love With the Proper Husband (Effingtons, #6)
  • The Lady in Question (Effingtons, #7)
  • The Pursuit of Marriage (Effingtons, #8)
  • When We Meet Again (Effingtons, #10)
  • Let It Be Love (Effingtons, #11)