Start by marking “Geek Silicon Valley” as Want to Read:
Geek Silicon Valley

Geek Silicon Valley

The Real Silicon Valley

Some people say that Silicon Valley is a state of mind, but the cultural trends that drive us today were actually born in a very real place—the garages and back rooms of the cities between San Francisco and San Jose, California. Geek Silicon Valley delivers Silicon Valley history, taking us from success story to failed start-up and back again as we

Published (first published November 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Geek Silicon Valley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Geek Silicon Valley

Mary Anne
Jan 10, 2014 Mary Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A good survey of Silicon Valley history that specifically looks at the tech history of the area. I really like that the book points out specific addresses, marker locations, telephone numbers, and web links. Granted, the book was published in 2007 and is already a bit out-of-date, but of course the history is pretty spot on. A good enjoyable read. The printing itself is not fantastic, and the organization is a bit off. I agree with other reviewers who recommend pictures, but I know the purchasin ...more
Heather Pagano
May 22, 2011 Heather Pagano rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
A fun approach to the history of technology by organizing information geographically instead of chronologically. This form of organization allowed the author to visit and revisit key players in Silicon Valley's history, which helped the reader review important people and corporations, and gave a feel for how interactions, combinations and recombinations of technical talent made history.

The mesh of history and tourist tips was a little odd, but gave a friendly tone to the book. Some tourist tips
Simone Gambirasio
Oct 09, 2014 Simone Gambirasio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sembra una semplice guida turistica alla Silicon Valley. In realtà è un modo originale e divertente di conoscere la storia di tante aziende che hanno cambiato la storia. Tante curiosità sui CEO e sulle sfide, sulle location e sulla vita che effettivamente si vive negli uffici di start-up e multinazionali. Ottima sia per chi visiterà davvero la Silicon Valley sia per chi si accontenta di un tour "virtuale" nel tempo e nello spazio.
Marti
Jul 01, 2014 Marti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the voice and conversational style of this book. It contains a lot of interesting information about the history of the Silicon Valley and a bunch of cool tidbits about people and places that were new to me. It's organized according to city first so it doesn't necessarily read as a linear narrative, so there was a little overlap but nothing too troublesome. I would definitely recommend it if you're looking for a quick and dirty history of the Silicon Valley as its various hamlets.
Xian
Jan 02, 2014 Xian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fluid and informative. Wish it had some pictures though, of the buildings or maybe of logos so I might recognize companies I don't know by name. Also it has a couple really basic spelling mistakes (reeking a bit of havoc on page 216 and you're next stop will be on page 232 of the 2007 edition).
Raymond
Nov 01, 2015 Raymond rated it liked it
At this point, the book is almost a decade old. I ready about 1/3rd of the book before deciding I wouldn't finish it. Although it was interesting to ready all the stories about different areas of Silicon Valley, it was very hard to make any connection to them without having visited the area.
Hassen Abbas
Hassen Abbas rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2016
Nicolás
Nicolás rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Sergio Romo
Sergio Romo rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Petr Svec
Petr Svec rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Anthony Lee
Anthony Lee rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2014
Dasan
Dasan rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2015
Samuel Mgbeodinma
Samuel Mgbeodinma rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Lostinmalta
Lostinmalta rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2015
Bame Setlhogile
Bame Setlhogile rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2015
James
James rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2017
Nguyen Van
Nguyen Van rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Arjun Naik
Arjun Naik rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2016
Mishig Davaadorj
Mishig Davaadorj rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Krista
Krista rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2014
Kevin
May 26, 2014 Kevin rated it really liked it
Useful and enjoyable travel guide to points of interest. Really enhanced my visit.
Biển Lặng
Biển Lặng rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Pamela
Pamela rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2017
Ganghao1995
Ganghao1995 rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2016
Joni Petriashvili
Joni Petriashvili rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Joachim Kiefer
Joachim Kiefer rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2012
Jihene
Jihene rated it it was ok
Oct 27, 2016
Rizaldy
Rizaldy rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2017
Thai Duc
Thai Duc rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Matt Booker
Matt Booker rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Inside Intel: Andy Grove and the Rise of the World's Most Powerful Chip Company
  • Once You're Lucky, Twice You're Good: The Rebirth of Silicon Valley and the Rise of Web 2.0
  • Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure
  • Crystal Fire: The Invention of the Transistor and the Birth of the Information Age
  • Beast: The Top Secret Illmor-Penske Race Car That Shocked the World at the 1994 Indy 500
  • Museums in Motion: An Introduction to the History and Functions of Museums
  • Mental Hygiene: Better Living Through Classroom Films 1945-1970
  • The Queen: A Biography of Elizabeth II
  • Secrets of Silicon Valley: What Everyone Else Can Learn from the Innovation Capital of the World
  • Majesty: Queen Elizabeth II and the House of Windsor
  • Colossus: The Secrets of Bletchley Park's Codebreaking Computers
  • Insanely Great: The Life and Times of Macintosh, the Computer that Changed Everything
  • The Future Was Here: The Commodore Amiga
  • Philip and Elizabeth: Portrait of a Royal Marriage
  • Infinite Loop: How Apple, the World's Most Insanely Great Computer Company, Went Insane
  • The New Hacker's Dictionary
  • Fire in the Valley: The Making of the Personal Computer
  • Strictly G.I.: The WWII Letters of Cpl.Wanda M. Renn
Ashlee Vance is an award winning feature writer for Bloomberg Businessweek magazine. Vance is also the host of the "Hello World" TV show. Previously, he worked for The New York Times and The Register.

Vance was born in South Africa, grew up in Texas and attended Pomona College. He has spent more than a decade covering the technology industry from San Francisco and is a noted Silicon Valley historia
More about Ashlee Vance...