Start by marking “Lakewood Memorial” as Want to Read:
Lakewood Memorial

Lakewood Memorial (Memorial Trilogy #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The small town of Lakewood has been overrun by the walking dead. In a single night, the world has descended into a madness of biting teeth and a sickness that kills but does not kill.
Caught at the center of it is Angie Land, young single mother and nurse's aide at Lakewood Memorial Hospital. She and a handful
of others are lucky enough to survive the initial assault, but h
Published July 20th 2009 by Library Of The Living Dead

To ask other readers questions about Lakewood Memorial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lakewood Memorial

World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
364th out of 1,242 books — 3,553 voters

More lists with this book...

Rhiannon Frater
Felicia A
What took me so long to read this book??? No, for realz. WHAT. TOOK. ME. SO. LONG?? It's been on my "to read" list for, like, EVER, but for some reason I had never gotten around to picking one up. And I don't know WHY exactly, because I have bought between 3 and 5 books every week or so for the last 15 years. So it's been sittin' on the list, waiting to get bought. Well I finally purchased a copy and WOW. What was I waiting on? I have no answer to that question.

Lakewood Memorial starts right out
Patrick D'Orazio
Lakewood Memorial weighs in at a very efficient 150 pages with the promise for two sequels. The author moves the reader quickly into the story, providing us with virtually no "filler" before the undead rise and start tearing up the living. We get two stories that parallel one another, with Angie, a Nurse's Aid, stuck in the Hospital as the dead rise, and her kids, sitting at home with their baby sitter, as things also start to fall apart around town as well. They are all just trying to stay aliv ...more
Erin (*is in a reviewing slump*)
A standard type zombie book that's packed with action from the beginning to the end. Even the first paragraph is violent, as is the last. Actually the last is a cliffhanger since it's a three part series.

Best writes well but keeps everything simple - short paragraphs, hardly any inner monologue, no deviation from zombie attacks and what's going on. It's a gory, vicious ride.

I think the biggest flaw is that the characters aren't that likeable. I'm not talking about the obvious jerks of the crowd
Patti
Believe me, I'm a huge fan of cursing. I do it quite often in my daily life. My characters do it quite often in my writing. However, due to the level of cursing and absolute lack of any kind of character development, I have think a 13 year old wrote this book.

Multiple characters do nothing but curse, every word out of their mouths insults or a put downs. Other characters have no development other than the standard cliche of bossy teen, bratty little brother, overworked single mother.

This one go
T.L. Barrett
You ever get that itch to just read a good old fashioned zombie apocalypse book with lots of gore, suspense, high death tolls, and interesting, but desperate characters? Well, this is the zombie book for you! I have attempted to read many zombie books of late, and have always been dissapointed by the gimmicky twist or the lack of real suspense in the mix. Not with Mr. Best's work! The book is primarily set in a hospital, and details a mysterious and all out zombie outbreak that is relentless and ...more
Robert Beveridge
Robert R. Best, Lakewood Memorial (CreateSpace, 2009)

Lakewood Memorial, the first book in a projected trilogy, takes a great what-if and runs with it: what if, when the zombie apocalypse hit, you were in a hospital? A lot of the lit glosses over the possibilities (think the Dawn of the Dead remake here) or just ignores the existence of hospitals other than as a possible source for medical supplies for survivors (Conrad Williams' One comes to mind). But in Lakewood Memorial, the surivor-band for
Megan
Seekordsiis
Classical zombie story, intense and gruesome. Has a bigger-than-usual concentration of annoying characters, which somehow makes the book more interesting. The ending is quite satisfying and leaves the reader craving for more.
Mike Mitchell
Lakewood Memorial is a fun, rip roaring good time with some truly loveable and truly hateable characters. Best does an amazing job of making you care for everyone in this book and makes you cheer when the "Villains" get their comeuppence. While I was reading this I always felt like Best was channeling the chaos of the Return of the Living Dead series. While the book is very lean in page count, it doesnt waste what time it has with you and will leave you wanting to pick up the direct follow up As ...more
Brad T.
another book told from the perspective of a small cast of characters and their response to the zombie apocalypse set in a single night of horror. The zombie genre gains nothing from such tired retellings of the same story over and over again with nothing new. The author phoned this one in. It offered nothing new to the genre.

That said, the book was well written and only had two typos that I could find which is refreshing in the host of zombie stories on the market. I wouldn't turn down a copy of
Linda
This was a great zombie book---back to the original type of zombie ( the slow shambler). I thought there might be some upsetting scenes with too much gore, but not so. I really got invested in the characters. This is the first in a series, and can't wait to read the others. I'm glad to see good authors published through small publishing houses. Don't overlook small publishing houses, just because you haven't heard of them---they find some great new authors. Of course with the zombie genre, there ...more
Oliver Clarke
Lakewood Memorial is a simple but effective zombie tale. There are no big surprises here but it is a really fun read with lots of action and likeable (and as appropriate some fairly unlikeable) characters. Despite the shortness of the book Best builds the central characters well and has a nice sense of humour with some dialogue that made me chuckle. Most of all he makes you care about the central protagonist, Angie, and her two kids and I for one and plunging straight into volume 2 of the trilog ...more
Jeff French
This novel starts with a bang, moves like a bullet and never lets up. The trade off for this a lack of character development. We never really get to know any of the characters. I found a lack of description regarding the settings. I had to imagine the settings, with very little help from the author. Besides these criticisms, it was a fun read. Lots of action, gore, some intense scenes and a satisfying ending. Overall Lakewood Memorial was an enjoyable read.
Amanda
This was not bad. It was your basic zombie outbreak, and that's all it was. Never really tried to be anything else. It was Ok. My big issue with the book as a whole was all the cussing. Believe me when I say, I can cuss with the best, but this book put me to shame. There was so much that it seemed unnatural and forced mostly. No matter how stressful the situation, not everyone is going to let it fly like that.
Donny
I really liked this zombie tale. I'll admit I have been burnt out on zombies for awhile now. But I kept hearing good things about this book and gave it a try.

The author does not shy away from the violence you would see, feel, and commit in a zombie apocalypse.
Mike P
I love the book, it was classic zombie book. I found very funny at times and other time i wanted drop book to found out what that sounds was. So i guest it did the job for a zombie books.
PS keep the books coming
Jenn
If I can take anything away from this book, it'll be to get rid of the useless people first, and then the teenagers. Couldn't like any of the characters and was hoping for the zombies to win.
Todd
Feb 19, 2014 Todd added it
Not a bad zombie story. Short book, only 150 pages. No filler just straight to the zombie attacks and action all the way through.
Amanda
A nice little gory zombie book. This one would be five stars, except cliffhanger endings drive me insane.
Dax
quick read, fast paced, great zombie story
Tracey
Dec 30, 2009 Tracey marked it as to-read
Scott Xmas gift 2009
Strangerthan
Strangerthan marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Jessicajc
Jessicajc marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Dead_man310
Dead_man310 marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Christina Kadlec
Christina Kadlec marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Angelique
Angelique marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
  • The World Is Dead
  • Z1n1: The Zombie Pandemic: 2012 Was Just the Beginning
  • Drop Dead Gorgeous
  • The Undead Situation (Undead, #1)
  • Among the Living
  • The Book of All Flesh
  • Down the Road: On the Last Day
  • Deadlands
  • Comes the Dark
  • Apocalypse End: Reign of the Dead
  • The Dead
  • Twilight of the Dead
  • Dead: The Ugly Beginning (Dead, #1)
  • New Zed Order: Survive
  • The Plan (Roads Less Traveled, #1)
  • Empire: A Zombie Novel
  • Kings of the Dead
  • Every Sigh, the End
Robert R Best is the author of the Memorial Trilogy, a zombie saga consisting of Lakewood Memorial, Ashton Memorial, and World Memorial. He has also written a short story anthology titled All Kinds Of Things Kill and has appeared in several anthologies. Hobbies include sneaking up behind people who are reading his bio. Watch Out.
More about Robert R. Best...
Ashton Memorial (Memorial Trilogy, #2) All Kinds Of Things Kill World Memorial (Memorial Trilogy, #3) The Memorial Trilogy: The Complete Zombie Saga World Memorial (The Memorial Trilogy)