Start by marking “Submission (Deviations, #1)” as Want to Read:
Submission (Deviations, #1)

Submission (Deviations #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  2,688 Ratings  ·  258 Reviews
Tobias is a skilled Dom and Noah is a man in need of just that. He wants to sub badly, but has yet to find someone he believes in. Through a series of encounters in the world of bondage and discipline, we learn why Noah has trouble trusting, and why Tobias is reluctant to let himself love.

Still, Tobias can't resist Noah's charms, and the two of them set about making a sce
Published February 15th 2006 by Torquere Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Submission, please sign up.

Gigi
Second read after a 6 year break. Bumping up to 5 stars. So damn good! Hot as fuck. Perfect BDSM book for those that like passion with their pain.

Re-reading book two right away!
Akanksha❤ Søren♰
Just finished re-reading this book..

Tobias and Noah are like the cutest and most adorable couple ever :')
I love them, their story, this book and the rest of the characters.. this is totally my favorite MM series!!!

description

They are like asdfghjkl!! I want to smooch both their faces off! They are like prefect together!! :D
Beth
Nov 23, 2011 Beth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boring, erotica
This is one of the most boring erotic novels I've ever read, primarily because neither of the characters is more then a cardboard cutout. I didn't care about either of them or have any insight into their thought processes or motivations, so it was like reading about objects moving around a board. This is basically how the book goes:

1. Let's talk about what we're about to do.
2. Let's have some really boring sex (clinical, but not pervy-hot clinical - it's more like "I am looking to get this react
TheFountainPenDiva
As a sub-genre of erotica/erotic romance, BDSM-themed novels are all the rage these days. One doesn't have to look too hard to find salacious covers with leather-clad hunks and corset-cinched goddesses holding whips and handcuffs. Like all popular genres of fiction, it's become pretty damn near difficult to find the gems, the books written by people who either know the scene firsthand or who care enough to thoroughly research the lovestyle in order to present it as another form of healthy sexual ...more
Shelley
Dec 09, 2013 Shelley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was okay, I think.

You see, I read it last week and I can't remember the characters names or the basic plot line. So uhm, it couldn't have been entirely memorable then. I'm not being facetious at all, I really can't recall this one. Sorry about that :/

Oh wait, there's a vet and a policeman - it's coming back to me now. But nothing really angsty happens, its just a formulaic BDSM thing. Not terribly exciting.

Easy reading.

Forgettable reading.
Macky
REVIEWING FOR BOYS IN OUR BOOKS... REVIEW AND RATING TO COME SOON
Ula'ndi Hart
Dec 10, 2014 Ula'ndi Hart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fave-bdsm-s, bdsm
Second time around. Still enjoyed it. :-)

2016.01.15 - In the light of resent reads on the same genre I have not only developed a greater appreciation for Chris Owen’s writing but also decided to re-read this series as well as up my rating. I think he nailed quite a few things in this series that I, Deviations being my first read in the genre, could not fully appreciate at the time. The series I read was good, but it made me notice how GOOD this series is. Master Tobias deserves respect.

Mmmmmm

S
Gina
Oct 28, 2013 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gina by: Tina
Shelves: favorites, m-m, bdsm
I have read a number of BDSM books at this point and have loved them all in varying degrees. And while all of them were about two (or three hehe) men finding love ultimately, this one was different for me. This book delved deeper into the need these men have to live in this lifestyle. My first impressions as I read this book was how “business like” it felt between Noah (the sub) and Tobias (the dom). In fact I was starting to wonder when “love” was going to make it’s way into this story. But, th ...more
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
The first half of this I just didn't get the draw that everyone talks about with the series. I thought it was kind of cold and clinical. I didn't see any of the emotion and it seemed very flat. Sort of like watching a show about surgeon's that's a documentary vs. watching a drama about surgeons. Although the documentary is interesting it wouldn't normally make me overly connective with the characters. The second half of the book redeemed it greatly - I got much more connected and invested in the ...more
Jason Bradley
Sep 19, 2009 Jason Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-d-s, m-m, ebook, bdsm
This book would have received a far higher rating if it had been merely compared to others within its genre. Although the conversations felt stilted and the characters seemed to have a limited range of emotional reactions, I became invested in both the characters' lives and the eroticism. I'm impressed with the authenticity on the subject matter.

I admit this is my first m/m erotica novel so I may be judging it far too harshly.

I will be reading the second book in this series and find myself loo
T.J.
Oct 09, 2011 T.J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Chaos Magic, my absolute hands down fave BDSM book, this was kind of a let down. I absolutely adored Noah. The Dom, Tobias, came across as a little bit... I dunno. A little bit not the Dom (Hector. Oh, Hector) from Chaos Magic. And don't even get me STARTED on Phan. I already have been told where this series is headed, and the reading masochist that I am will most likely finish it. Sometimes even a reader likes to get spanked a bit, even if it's not the way he'd hoped.
LauraZu
Sep 15, 2013 LauraZu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, bdsm-kink
5 BEST BOOK EVER STARS!!

Tobias watched Noah's skin break suddenly into goose bumps, followed by a warm blush. Anticipation was a lovely, if brief, moment.

I never, never thought I was going to enjoy this so much. Now, I'm completely obsessed with Tobias and Noah.

Tobias is a Dom renown in the community, Noah is a man that needs someone just like Tobias, a Dom able to bring even the most hesitant sub around, he wants to give himself completely but has yet to find someone that can take him where h
Becky Condit
Jul 29, 2011 Becky Condit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First review, July 29, 2011:
This book is as much a psychological study as it is an erotic novel. Gentlemanly Master Tobias has as many insecurities and worries about his role as a Dom as does sweet Noah about his continuing role as a sub. Tobias is a highly skilled Dom but has been without a sub for a while. The breakup with his previous slave Phantom, while affectionate, was very painful for both Tobias and Phantom. Noah has suffered at the hands of a Dom who failed to protect him and another
ElaineY
I bought all three of the Deviations series but after reading (not finished), the other two went to the bottom of my ebooks TBR list. While I like the writing, it wasn't my type of story. The BDSM scene doesn't interest me first of all and Deviations is entirely focused on the Lifestyle and the people involved in it.

I prefer a romance that's not just character-driven but plot as well and the the BDSM Lifestyle shouldn't be the main feature, which it is in these books.

If you like BDSM themes then
Dreamer
Hurrah, finished this, quite pleased it ended 63% through on my kindle, it was getting on my nerves. Tobias keeps calling his sub: pet, boy, baby and sweetheart, Noah is a cop for god's sake!

Also Noah's subservience reminded me of Paul Whitehouse's catchphrase from 'The Fast Show' (called 'Brilliant' in the US): 'suits you, sir'..

"So hot, sir!... Hard to breathe, need to, need it, sir, please, please!"

Yuk!
Line
I think I am finally figuring out why I keep returning to BDSM, but often walk away disappointed and keep promising myself, that THIS book will be the last BDSM-themed one...
I have a thing for brats and I have a thing for DD-relationships, but I have a hard time swallowing the cooking/cleaning/waiting on hand and foot, some subs are expected to do in their D/s relationships.
*snort* Apparently I'm practicing feminism in my own head on behalf of the subs...
description

Right, so Tobias is this skilled Dom. He
Jenni
Submission is the story of Tobias, a Dom, and Noah, his would-be sub. Tobias has been without a sub for a while, and Noah can't seem to find the right Dom to fit his needs. The two men meet at a BDSM club and so begins their relationship.

This book started off great! The MCs are likable, and we get enough of their backstory and interaction between them and other characters to connect with them.

The BDSM factor is very light in this book, although the men do "play." I thought it was one of the mo
Nichole (Dirrty H)
This was my April m/m group pick-it-for-me selection.

I had actually started this ages ago and it didn't ever grab me, but I was willing to give it another chance for the challenge.
I ended up liking it and I will probably read the rest of the series, but I didn't really love it. Partly because I like my BDSM to be a little (a LOT) edgier than this. This just didn't pack the punch that I'm normally looking for from this type of book.
I was also a little frustrated/irritated with all the talking. Ev
Awilk -never sleeps-
I really liked this book. I wasn't sure that the subject matter was something I would like, but I definitely did.
Tobias and Noah were great characters, and I adored some of the secondary characters as well. I read this in one sitting, and then and downloaded the next two books. Chris Owen has a new fan-girl in me. I really appreciated the writing style, and how these wonderful characters are being true to their natures, without having to give them terrible scared childhoods or something similar
Amanda
Feb 02, 2017 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm
I am not sure why but, while I liked Submission, I couldn't never really become invested in Tobias and Noah. I found myself skimming parts, hitting highlights. Great book for some but for me it was just ok.
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
I'll admit I was a tad skeptical through the first few chapters of this what with all the Tobias hero worship. But, I pushed on read through another couple conversations, a scene & it wavered, a couple more conversations & a scene or two & it was gone. I drank the Kool Aid. Tobias walks on water.

"I’ll always speak to you if you need it. I’ll always speak the truth. When I’m silent it’s for you to learn from, not a punishment."

Tobias embodies what most would want in a dominant. He'
Mtsnow13
Finished this last night.. Its a buddy read, and I have figured out these are better to read on a Friday, rather than starting on a Sunday, as then I might not be so tempted to stay up all night to finish!

Interestingly enough, I have had this series on my tbr shelf for a couple years, and if it hadn't been for the Buddy read incentive, they may have stayed there a while longer. Don't know quite why I resisted, as I enjoyed Chris Owen's other works.. but hey, I've started it now :)

As a whole, the
JR
Dec 23, 2013 JR rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the subject in the context of love
In my opinion this is a brilliant book. I feel it takes a subject that only a few know intimately, gives it a heart, a mind and a soul. Instead of showing the reader what might be a sideshow of scary implements,or scenarios of torture, it reveals the depth of trust and love between a Dom and a Sub.

Tobias is the Dom of Doms, considered the best at what he does. Into his world, comes Noah, a police officer with a deep need to be a sub. Noah has had some terrible experiences, that have left him
Nic
Sep 17, 2012 Nic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great start to the series. I hope the series continues this way. The characters are unexpected, at least to what I was expecting! Tobias and Noah work wonderfully well together A great book in this genre.
Em
Aug 03, 2012 Em rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and am looking forward to getting started on the next one. Really enjoyed the growing relationship between Noah and Tobias and can't wait to see what they get up to next.
Trio
Oct 27, 2015 Trio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing, I really enjoyed it. I loved the insight into the Dom/sub relationship, great character development. I've already got the next in the series on my to read shelf.
James Cox
Aug 09, 2012 James Cox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really sexy, great characters and I look forward to the next book in this series!
Camilla
Mar 23, 2011 Camilla rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle

So here's the deal..

I always end up reading these BDSM books.. And I always end up rolling my eyes, while reading them, thinking: Seriously? and But whyyyy???

And for some reason I always end up giving them plenty of stars.. And I have no fucking idea why!!

There were sooo many things in this book, which went against all the things I dont like about these books.. Like the fact that Tobias the Dom, told Noah the Sub, that this was all about Tobias' feelings and his needs.. Grrr.. That is my bigges
Star
Decent book, okay for anyone who is new to this genre. If I was just finding my way and stumbled upon this book and it was my first experience I may would've enjoyed it more. I read all 345 pages of my version and I was waiting for something to happen. Some plot, conflict, growth, or character development. Around page 300 the jealous towards a past lover I thought was going to introduce some drama, but no.

Nothing really happens in this book.

A Dom who everyone knows and seems to want, tho we ha
Heather
I had a hard time deciding between 3 or 4 stars. But, overall. I want to read the next book, so I gave it 4.

But, what the heck! That ending was, good gravy abrupt. Just when it was starting to get good.
I feel like this is going to be one of those series where the characters grow on you until you've hit the last book and your sad to see it go.

There is so much more to Tobias and Noah. I feel like we've only touched the top of this iceberg.
They are kinda cold and slow as far as relationships go
  • Bound and Determined
  • Uneven
  • Remastering Jerna (Remastering Jerna, #1)
  • A Strong Hand
  • A Russian Bear (Russian Bear, #1)
  • Bent (Hammer, #1)
  • Chaos Magic (Gods and Chaos, #1)
  • Under Contract
  • Bound: Forget Me Knot
  • The Elegant Corpse
  • Power Exchange (Power Exchange, #1)
  • Sins of the Father (Angel and the Assassin, #3)
  • Rough Canvas (Nature of Desire, #6)
  • A House of Cards: Deconstructing Ethan (The Forbidden Room, #2)
  • Power Play: Awakening (Power Play, #2)
  • Forever (From Thirty Days to Forever, #2)
  • Special Delivery (Special Delivery, #1)
  • Bound To Please (Playing for Keeps, #2)
I live and write in eastern Canada. I went to a bunch of schools, learned a lot of things, and now make stuff up because not to do so is unthinkable. I'm fond of fountain pens, Levenger's Circa system, and Steampunk fashions.
I'm inspired by the day to day minutia of life, and find beauty in the way words go together. I like texture and richness of experience. I'm not shy. I'm happy, I'm learning,
More about Chris Owen...

Deviations (5 books)
  • Domination (Deviations, #2)
  • Discipline (Deviations, #3)
  • Bondage (Deviations, #4)
  • Safe Words (Deviations, #5)