Start by marking “The Edge of Winter” as Want to Read:
The Edge of Winter

The Edge of Winter

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Did he really love another? Upon meeting Dr Crispin van Sibbelt, Araminta Shaw found him both bad tempered and, she had to admit, rather attractive! Staying in Holland to nurse a sick relative provided the perfect opportunity for her to fall in love with him. But even though Crispin talked of marriage, Araminta discovered there was someone else close to his heart. What was...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Harlequin (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Edge of Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge of Winter

Tonya Warner
Yes, another great Betty Neels story. I do not care if all of her stories have a common theme. They are always well written, with lots of intriguing details about a lifestyle I will never see. I enjoy finding out about the country, foods, and sights.

Araminta Shaw falls for Dr. Crispin van Sibbelt. Or rather, Crispin falls for Araminta, but worries that the fifteen year age difference will be difficult to surmount.
Fiona Marsden
For once the enigmatic doctor has a bit of a grumpy temper and is dark haired but otherwise it is usual Neels buttered crumpets with a pot of tea.
What can I say? I can't resist these stories on those days I just need to relax and destress. The angst in this is always under control and the ending so assured they make a great comfort read.

Araminta is a pretty nurse with lots of common sense which somehow runs out the door, closely followed by Araminta, when confronted by Doctor Crispin van Sibbelt...more
Sandy  Kemp
these books are like potato chips for me. Predictable - yet I keep eating, er, reading them.
Bronwyn Rykiert
It is a sort of romance, but not in the usual sense. Araminta, a nurse meets Dr Crispen van Sibbelt on a beach where she had gone to rescue a young girl. Her first impression of him was not good, he helped her get the girl to a hospital. To me the story seemed quite old fashion and I did not really like Araminta very much, she did something while she was staying with Crispen in Holland that I thought was really stupid. It was okay though.
Barbara
Middling Betty Neels. Only thing that really sets this apart is that the 'other woman' who causes so much trouble is our Rich Dutch Doctor's elderly Aunt!
And this is another one where one of the adult minor characters is dying and the doctors feel that "it is best she does not know how serious her condition is". What??!?
Basically enjoyable, but nothing special.

Maria
Betty Neels writes books with a medical theme that are generally set in England and/or Holland. This book is no exception. The male protagonist is a Dutch doctor, the female an English nurse, and the plot is typically unexciting and pedestrian, yet I know no better way to relax than to sit down with one of Ms. Neels's books and enjoy a quiet afternoon.
Allison
This one wasn't as good as some of the other Betty Neels I have read. All the action took place at the end and the girl while seeming to be smart, ended up acting very dumb at the end.
Katharine Holden
Not one of Betty Neels's best. The doctor character verges on verbal abuse, so that killed any desire on my part for the heroine to end up with him.
Carol
Okay to pass the time, if you have nothing else to do.
Ladyrose
Ladyrose marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Brittney
Brittney marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Marcie Bryant
Marcie Bryant marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Violet
Violet marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Sidonia
Sidonia marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Rufina Abraham
Rufina Abraham marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Eris Field
Eris Field marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Jan
Jan added it
Jul 26, 2014
Virginia
Virginia marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Sun
Sun marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years, which stood her in good stead for the tribulations to come with the Second World War. She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and State Cert...more
More about Betty Neels...
An Old-Fashioned Girl (The Best Of Betty Neels) The Quiet Professor Cassandra by Chance Winter Wedding A Girl In a Million (The Best of Betty Neels)