Start by marking “The Cage Keeper and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Cage Keeper and Other Stories

The Cage Keeper and Other Stories

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Passion and betrayal, violent desperation, ambivalent love that hinges on hatred, and the quest for acceptance by those who stand on the edge of society-these are the hard-hitting themes of a stunningly crafted first collection of stories by the bestselling author of House of Sand and Fog.

A vigilant young man working in a halfway house finds himself unable to defend agains
Published October 9th 2001 by Vintage (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Cage Keeper and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cage Keeper and Other Stories

Alex English
The Cage Keeper and other Stories by Andre Dubus is a colllective reading of lives that fall between the cracks. A beautiful arrangement of strange, tragic, and liberating things, Andre Dubus uses his direct, and sometimes humorous language, to tell stories no one thinks to tell. Starting with The Cage Keeper”, a worker in a halfway house is kidnapped by an inmate and friend, and forced to drive him to freedom. The second, “Duckling girl” is the touching and heart-wrenching story of a girl who e ...more
Penny Burkhardt
Some of the best writing and character development that I have read. The harsh conditions in each of these stories made many of them hard to read. Still that doesn't diminish their outstanding power.
Shonna Froebel
This collection of stories focuses on characters living on the margins, many dealing with situations that are challenging. They are not always easy to read, but they feel real.
The story The Cage Keeper's main character is a worker in a halfway house, a job he took on through family connections. When one of the inmates goes off the rails, he finds himself struggling to deal with the situation.
Duckling Girl has two characters that end up connecting, a sad illiterate girl, abused and resigned to he
Connie Hess
Andre Dubus III is an excellent author. His books are never very uplifting and deal with sad realities of life. This is a book of short stories and some I found to be disturbing.
A collection of short stories by the author of House of Sand and Fog, The Cage Keeper and Other Stories delve into the actions, thoughts, and motives of criminals, ex-cons, and those who work in the criminal justice system, and into the lives of those who fall between in the cracks of society. In the title story, a halfway house worker is kidnapped by one of the inmates, Elroy, and forced to drive Elroy to Canada, to freedom. Along the way, Allen discovers why Elroy killed and as a result strugg ...more
Patrick Faller
There is a moment in the title story of this collection that suggests the nature of Dubus III's interests as a writer and gives a glimpse into his fiction-writing strengths. The story's narrator, a young man named Allen who works as a corrections officer, is bagging up and tagging the personal belongings of one of the inmates who has run off without warning (the corrections institution resembles a half-way house for convicted felons, hardly a jail where the inmates are under lock and key and sub ...more
A grim set of stories by a master at reminding us that EVERYONE has a story. Every single human being, even people we tend to dismiss as trash, druggies, criminals -- in fact, especially those people. These stories will open your heart and pour in compassion like disinfectant on a wound. It hurts, but it's good for you.
The stories were so sad and dark but very well written. It reminded a bit too much of patients I have worked with. It is amazing how such a segment of society can be so ignored. I think it is wonderful that they were brought to life in this work.
Some of these stories just try too hard. They were all gritty and I usually don't mind that, but the title story just didn't ring true for me.
Some of the stories were excellent, others were fair. Written in 1989, this book was the first published ( I think) by an author I love.
Jacque Staub
2.5 stars? mostly diluted denis johnson, but excellent 1st story.
Dubus III often explores characters from the underbelly of society. This collection has that, but also some of these same characters in a haunting, yet beautiful, natural world. Some of the pieces reminded me of a darker Pam Houston or Ron Carlson. Dubus is one of those authors that is gifted in both the novel and the shorter form, which is rare in my opinion. These stories are not for the feint of heart, but if you appreciate these, you'll appreciate Dubus' other works as well.
Dubus demonstrates an interesting talent for presenting highly emotional scenes that are at the same time cold and stark as many of his characters. The prose in these stories is gritty and visceral, appearing quite real. Though not always pleasant, these stories are good throughout.
dubus has an incredible way of capturing the character's voice. this book of short stories, each with a unique voice and tone, shows that dubus is a force to be reckoned with.
Kenneth Weene
Jan 25, 2010 Kenneth Weene rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults looking for well written short fiction
Recommended to Kenneth by: My wife
Powerfully written but ultimately depressing and filled with alcohol, leaving the reader somewhat numbed.
Although I loved the House of Sand and Fog, I was very disappointed with these short stories.
Sara C.
Like father like son.
Oct 18, 2008 Jill marked it as to-read
He hasn't done me wrong yet
Sally Pearce
Will review later
Stephanie McGarrah
Stephanie McGarrah marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Brett Zelman
Brett Zelman marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Kerry Booth
Kerry Booth marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Kristine marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Angela marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Maura Badji
Maura Badji marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
  • Dancing After Hours
  • Blood From Stone
  • Corpus Christi: Stories
  • The Voices Of Time
  • There Is No Long Distance Now
  • Wild Nights!: Stories About the Last Days of Poe, Dickinson, Twain, James, and Hemingway
  • Points of View: An Anthology of Short Stories
  • The Weather Stations
  • Girl Trouble: Stories
  • Half in Love: Stories
  • Vanishing and Other Stories
  • The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories, Volume Two: Outer Space, Inner Lands (The Unreal and the Real, #2)
  • Love, in Theory: Ten Stories
  • Cheating at Canasta
Andre Dubus III is the author of The Garden of Last Days, House of Sand and Fog (a #1 New York Times bestseller, Oprah’s Book Club pick, and finalist for the National Book Award) and Townie, winner of an American Academy of Arts and Letters Award in Literature. His writing has received many honors, including a Guggenheim Fellowship, a National Magazine Award, and two Pushcart Prizes. He lives with ...more
More about Andre Dubus III...