Start by marking “Life Happens: And Other Unavoidable Truths” as Want to Read:
Life Happens: And Other Unavoidable Truths

Life Happens: And Other Unavoidable Truths

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  18 reviews
From the 2005 Pulitzer Prize—winning columnist Connie Schultz comes fresh, clever, insightful commentary on life today: love, politics, social issues, family, and much, much more. In the tradition of Anna Quindlen, Molly Ivins, and Erma Bombeck, but with a distinctive voice and sensibility all her own, Connie Schultz comes out of the heartland of America to get you seeing, ...more
Published June 19th 2007 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Life Happens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Happens

Editing after reading the final third: She just packed a whollop on me. I was in tears in public at the chapter on war, ever so pleased by her commentary on religion, ready to buy copies for all the moms in my life after reading the last chapter on her daughter growing up.

I also excerpted this one bit.

Heartwarming and funny, though it feels a little strange to be reading on the subway, like people will think I read Erma Bombeck and the "Life in These United States" blurbs in Reader's Digest.

Ben Pushka
For me, it is tough to rate a book like this. I picked up this book because Mrs. Schultz was coming to speak at campus, and finally have gotten around to it. While interesting, it was difficult to just sit and read through, because the subject matter changed every few pages. With that said, it is a wonderful collection of articles written. I just wished that they would have had dates of publication on them, because for some of the stories (especially the ones about the Iraq War) it was difficult ...more
This is a collection of Connie's essays, categorized by subject. Connie is an excellent writer - she captures your attention immediately and you find yourself laughing or crying along with her. She shares her thoughts on everything - being female, being a mom, being a wife, daughter, working mother, etc.

Her investigative stories are moving. Again, you will find yourself crying or laughing with her. I recommend this highly. Actually, I have recommended it to a lot of folks.

Connie is a special l
This was a good book in terms of getting you to think about some of the day-to-day stuff in your life. She touches on raising children, prejudice, money etc. I do believe she spends too many chapters talking about war, it became repetitive. She made her point after the first few chapters on war. All in all a good book to read if you just want to pick it up from time to time and read a chapter or two. Thought-provoking, but the chapter breaks make it easy to pick up and set down.
Cleveland Plain Dealer columnist Connie Schultz is known for her columns that provide a voice for the underdog and underprivileged. This collection of stories showcases her passion for making the world a better place.

You'll laugh, you'll cry, but you'll never be indifferent after reading this book. Connie's reflections about her father are especially poignant. Highly recommend.
Debbie Shaw
A collection of articles, so the reads are short and quick, but pack a punch. She writes about those lost in war, being a mother, living in political circles and friends and neighbors. I really enjoyed this book and a couple times she brought the tears.
Lori Ann
I saw Connie Schultz on Real Time with Bill Maher, and she seemed great. Probably is. But the book was just too folksy for me...I went through a number of her articles in the book, but it just got sappy and repetitious for my taste.
Apr 07, 2008 Heidi rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heidi by: Book Club
This was a fast, easy read. After reading, I am inspired to be a better writer. I found myself rolling my eyes at several of her opinions, but also laughed out loud and got teary eyed while reading as well. Interesting.
Sep 20, 2007 Alison rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone!
I loved reading through Connie Schultz's columns and have since bookmarked her newspaper to read her columns each week. She has interesting thoughts on the world we live in, and it makes you think about your own actions...
Katie Townley
This collection of columns by Connie Schultz was awesome. Some were funny, some sad, some serious, all quick reads since they are columns. Sharing this woman's political/social/religious views will affect how much you'll like it.
This is a collection of her best columns (she's a Plain Dealer columnist). She's a great writer, and her columns are always entertaining. Sections on politics (she's pretty liberal), relationships, career, etc.
Amanda Ishtayeh
This was a great read with short "columns". She is a very talented, passionate reader who rights about life and how it is. She came from a working class upbringing so she really relates to everyone. Read it!
The author is a columnist for the Cleveland Plain Dealer who is married to State Senator Sherrod Brown. I really enjoy her writing style about her daily life.
Ellie Revert
I love this writer!! Due to her, I will make the effort to follow the political career of her husband, Sen. Sherrod Brown of Ohio---he's a lucky man!
A gift from a friend who works at the PD; a liberal view of northeast Ohio (and world) politics and life.
It was fun to read her opinions on all topics and see how many I agreed and disagreed with.
Great collection of essays written a regular American, who just happens to be a columnist.
May 23, 2014 Wendy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Very enjoyable essays
Terri Leyton
Terri Leyton marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
ConnieC marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Joe Defazio
Joe Defazio marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Kay marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

“How we treat those who can’t force us to be kind says everything about who we are as a people.” 1 likes
“You have to put your own oxygen on first. If you don’t take care of yourself, you will never have what it takes to really take care of the ones you love.” 0 likes