Start by marking “The Little Gymnast” as Want to Read:
The Little Gymnast

The Little Gymnast

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  225 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
With a lot of work and determination, Anda becomes the best gymnast in her class but family money is tight and she must win the regional championship and the accompanying scholarship or give up gymnastics completely.
Published October 17th 1994 by Scholastic Apple (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Gymnast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Gymnast

Sheila
Jul 25, 2012 Sheila added it
I am the author of this book and I now write as Sheila Jeffries. I am currently trying to reclaim the rights so that I can republish it myself. It was the most popular of all the Sheila Haigh books and it has two sequels. I believe a new generation of children will love it.
stephanie
Jun 12, 2007 stephanie rated it it was amazing
okay, so my reading level was a little beyond where this book was reaching, but i've always been a sucker for an easy read, and hey, this is like chick-lit for youngsters!

ada is adorable. you can't help but love her, and man, i will never forget her balancing on the roof to save her cat.

this was also one of those books that drove home the sacrifices you have to make for your sport/dream/whatever, and i realized i was destined to be an underachiever. a well-read underachiever, but one nonetheles
Tjacobs4
May 30, 2013 Tjacobs4 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! The Little Gymnast is full of nice things and it is great to learn from. This book reminded me of how I became a gymnast and how I moved on and tried my best to succeed. I enjoyed this book so much I hope you would read it even if you are not a gymnast. It is helpful for any sport or even if you don't understand anything or if you want to be in a sport, also it helps you think about what you are capable of and has you believe in yourself. I do believe you should read this b ...more
Catherine
I love this book just like you Mommy
Tamara
Feb 17, 2011 Tamara rated it really liked it
Kris
Aug 11, 2010 Kris rated it it was amazing
My absolute favorite book as a child, I read it over and over again. I still have my dog-eared copy in a box in my closet!
Feb 08, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Very excited to rediscover this book, which is still as good as I remember it. Since I lent my copy to a friend back then and never saw it again, I had to order a used copy online. When it arrived, I was so surprised to see the copyright date of 1962. I'm wondering if the American publisher had to edit anything to make it more timeless. Obviously, the pink Apple paperback cover made it circa 1980s for me. The parents are hippies, which I don't think I got as a kid. The author did a great job of ...more
03whitneyr
Sep 17, 2014 03whitneyr rated it it was amazing
I have had this book as long as I can remember. My grandma gave it to me when I was young when I first began tumbling. I am a competitive power tumbler (power tumbling is much like gymnastics) and I have been tumbling for the last 11 years. I have read this book before almost every tumbling competition I have competed at including tumbling competitions in resent years.

Although it is targeted towards children much younger than I, It will always have a special place in my heart.
Emily Von pfahl
A cute story about a young British girl who falls in love with gymnastics and works extremely hard to win a scholarship to afford her training. It is not great literature by any means, but you can't help but root for the determined daredevil and you will learn a lot of gymnastics lingo. Great for gymfans and gymrats.
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 14, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing
The Little Gymnast is a great book for preteens about effort, goal-setting, coming of age and following your dreams. Anda was a really cool main character; unlike most characters in children's fiction she wasn't whiny, spoiled or entitled. In fact she was really mature for her age and very inspiring.
Nadine Keels
Aug 16, 2014 Nadine Keels rated it it was amazing
I lost track of how many times I reread this book as a child. Somehow, I understood what it meant to be passionate about something yet to have the looming threat of not being able to follow your passion because of practical constraints. Plus, I was a big fan of gymnastics, which added to the book's appeal. I'd recommend this book to any girl to instill in her the hope of reaching her dreams as she works hard and doesn't give up.
Mary Taitt
Oct 20, 2011 Mary Taitt rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was fun and interesting with useful lessons that didn't beat the reader over the head. A lot of hard work and sacrifice is required to do well at any endeavor. But life can still be quite enjoyable. And so can the book. Set in England, Anda discovers gymnastics and the rigors of learning and competition. I will be passing this on to my granddaughter and I belive she will really enjoy it.
Mel J
Jan 13, 2013 Mel J rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my favorite books from my childhood. It was the very first book I ever bought at a book fair when I was in 1st grade. I read this book over and over and over as a child, and on a whim one day bought another copy to read it again. I've re-read this story at least three times since I purchased this book again and love it to this day!
Kris Larson
Nov 16, 2010 Kris Larson rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, fiction
I loved this as a kid. LOVED it. Found it at a booksale recently and discovered I still love it, and I don't even care how many exclamation points there are. I liked the idea of a little girl overcoming her temper and impulsiveness and learning to work for something. I never did this myself but it was interesting to read about.
Westerville
Feb 18, 2011 Westerville rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, fiction
"I loved this book when I was 10. My best friend was a gymnast and I wanted to be just like her. But I was tall and lanky and lacking any physical skills or ambition. So instead I read this book. A lot." - Tamara, Web Content Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Susie
Jul 11, 2011 Susie rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book as a kid. I was in gymnastics, but dropped out around fifth grade when I started to grow. I don't remember if I read this book before or after, but I still remember the joy and tension I felt when reading it. Can't wait to pick it up again and get those tinglies all over.
Ilana Waters
May 16, 2012 Ilana Waters rated it it was amazing
Although I quit gymnastics when I was six, I held onto this book a lot longer. I love Anda's no-nonsense approach to achieving her dream. At the time I read it, she seemed to be very wise for such a young girl. Definitely get this book for the talented dreamer in your life--gymnast or otherwise!
Jessica
Mar 22, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2004
This was one of my favorite books growing up. I loved Anda, and I loved reading about her gymnastics training. I love the scene where she gets the new leotard and training clothes. I re-read it in 2004 to see if I loved it as much as I remembered, and I did.
Niya
Apr 27, 2008 Niya rated it it was amazing
i LOVE this book. i remember reading it in elementary school, and i found the book online a year ago. its still a good book, i've read it twice since i got it. read this if you like gymnastics... i'm pretty sure it's a little kid book, but still good
Sgrefe
Nov 21, 2014 Sgrefe rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was little! I was just watching a gymnastics competition with my 5-year old daughter and remembered this book. I'll have to find it so we can read it together.
Megan
Nov 17, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing
I think about this poor gymnast whenever I get some new kind of athletic gear. It is important to have the right attire and to look the part.
Liz Smith
May 18, 2009 Liz Smith rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Younger girls, 3-8th grade
You know the kind of girl that is always getting into trouble for her energy?? This is that girl and how she gets into gymnastics.
Brandi Rae
Sep 02, 2013 Brandi Rae rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
I remember this being one of my favorite books when I was a little kid, thought I'd give it a quick re-read for nostalgia's sake.
Amy
Nov 02, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
One of my all time favorite books when I was little:) I probably read this book around 100 times when I was 10.
Jeana
Feb 02, 2008 Jeana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth-fiction
This was my favorite book when I was a little girl. I read it over and over and over.
Estrella :D
May 24, 2011 Estrella :D rated it it was amazing
Oh it is great it was my moms she gave it to me i could read it 20 times in one day
Fran
Aug 05, 2012 Fran rated it really liked it
Read this as a little girl, being a gymnast myself, loved it
Ky Matthes
Jul 31, 2008 Ky Matthes rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books growing up. Loved it!
L. Swan
I both hated and loved this book thats all I can sat
Jessica Larson-Wang
I loved this book when I was about 11. :)
  • Beginners (The Gymnasts, #1)
  • Good-Bye Pink Pig
  • Far to Go
  • When the Dolls Woke
  • Ghosts Beneath Our Feet
  • Wonder's Victory (Thoroughbred, #4)
  • Morgan Mine (Serendipity)
  • Can You Sue Your Parents for Malpractice?
  • A Very Young Dancer
  • The Facts and Fictions of Minna Pratt
  • Don't Hurt Laurie
  • Sixth Grade Can Really Kill You
  • The Mozart Season
  • Sylvie and Bruno Concluded
  • Little Rabbit's Loose Tooth
  • In The Stone Circle
  • Patti's Luck (Sleepover Friends, #1)
  • Autumn Street