Start by marking “Amphitryon” as Want to Read:
Amphitryon

Amphitryon

Wilbur is at the peak of his form in this stellar translation of an unusual Molière play-populated with Greeks and Greco-Roman gods and flavored with the essences of vaudeville, fan-tasy, high comedy, farce, and even opera. Afterword by Richard Wilbur.
Published April 14th 1995 by Mariner Books (first published 1668)

To ask other readers questions about Amphitryon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amphitryon

Bine
Oct 29, 2012 Bine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seit langer, langer Zeit endlich mal wieder eine "Pflichtlektüre". In diesem Fall ein Drama, das ich für meinen Kurs "Einführung in allgemeine und vergleichende Literaturwissenschaften lesen muss.
"Amphitryon" wurde (laut meiner Ausgabe) 1668 in Paris uraufgeführt. Ich habe gehört, dass das Stück für Molière von daher untypisch sein soll, dass es nicht um französische Adelsmänner geht, sondern dass er seine Komödiantische Moralpredigt im antiken Rahmen, nämlich mit dem "Tatort" Theben und antiken
Marti Martinson
Apr 10, 2015 Marti Martinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I was allowed ONE book to keep on a deserted island, the Works of Shakespeare OR the Works of Moliere, it would be Moliere.....in English, of course.

The poets do what pleases them. It is not the only stupidity we have detected in these gentlemen.

Damn! Who would have thought that JBP knew Bill O'Reilly:

How many people describe battles from which they remained far away! In order to act my part without discredit, I will rehearse it a little.

JBP never ceases to amaze --and amuse!-- me.

I feel incl
Dorottya
Sep 11, 2015 Dorottya rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
I have to say, after reading some, from head to toe excellent plays of Molière's, I was disappointed by this one. I'm not saying it's a bad drama, but it leaves a lot to be desired.
I was soooo annoyed by the stupidity of almost all of the characters, especially Sosias and Amphitryon. They even admit to themselves both that there is another one of them existing somehow, and they still forget about it when they meet each other or "each other", and instead of stopping and thinking which one it coul
Amandine
A nouveau une pièce de Molière lue pour un de mes cours et à laquelle j'ai été aussi insensible qu'à mon ordinaire. L'humour de Molière ne m'atteint décidément pas et me laisse de marbre. Le sujet lui-même était assez intéressant : la question du double, du sosie et de l'imposture, mais traité peut-être un peu trop rapidement à mon goût. La fin arrive trop facilement et m'a paru déplacée presque. Quelques aventures supplémentaires ne m'auraient pas déplu.
En ce qui concerne la forme versifiée, M
Cyndie
Jan 04, 2014 Cyndie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quand les dieux se mêlent des histoires d'Hommes, cela devient la pagaille, surtout quand il est question de séduire une femme fidèle à son époux.
Pas mal, mais c'est loin d'être la meilleure pièce de Molière.
Heidi
I don't know about Wilbur. I read this in a wonderful Finnish translation by Otto Manninen.
Gods messing with with people's lives. Semi-hysterical farce.
Shane
Shane rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Christian Paultre
Christian Paultre rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2015
Mirelle
Mirelle rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2014
Emerald
Emerald rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2011
Thialfi
Thialfi rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2010
Izulete
Izulete rated it really liked it
May 30, 2014
Juuso
Juuso rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
May 03, 2015
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
May 25, 2015
Sophie Goasguen
Sophie Goasguen rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2010
Cathérine
Cathérine rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Veronica
Veronica rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Stephyd
Stephyd rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2011
Stéphanie
Stéphanie rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Jennifer Surkan
Jennifer Surkan rated it liked it
May 18, 2009
Lynda
Lynda rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Kendra Drischler
Kendra Drischler rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Shirabyoshi
Shirabyoshi rated it it was ok
Aug 20, 2016
Inna
Inna rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2009
Katriin
Katriin rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Ivar Volmar
Ivar Volmar rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2014
  • Le Mariage de Figaro
  • L'Illusion Comique
  • Les Caprices de Marianne
  • L'île des esclaves
  • High Tide at Midnight (Trese, # 6)
  • The Other Shore: Plays
  • 12 Days
  • Les Parents Terribles
  • Les Filles du feu - Les Chimères
  • Colomba
Jean-Baptiste Poquelin, also known by his stage name, Molière, was a French playwright and actor who is considered one of the greatest masters of comedy in Western literature. Among Molière's best-known dramas are Le Misanthrope, (The Misanthrope), L'Ecole des femmes (The School for Wives), Tartuffe ou l'Imposteur, (Tartuffe or the Hypocrite), L'Avare ou l'École du mensonge (The Miser), Le Malade ...more
More about Molière...