Start by marking “The President's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The President's Daughter

The President's Daughter

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  108 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
ETHEL IS 10 YEARS OLD in 1901 when her family’s life changed forever. Suddenly, Father is not only a famous cowboy, war hero, and politician, but also President Theodore Roosevelt, leader of the United States—and Ethel has a new place to call home. The White House is older and stuffier than Ethel imagined, but there’s never a dull moment with her adventurous family around. ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The President's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The President's Daughter

Steven
Malia C.
Dec 02, 2014 Malia C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good. I learned a lot and could relate to the main character. I had just watched some of "The Roosevelts" documentary so I could relate parts of this book to what I had know before. There were a lot of details and I could follow everything. Overall, this book was a great read and I would definitely recommend this to anyone who likes a realistic fiction/historical fiction book.
Amy
I picked this book because it had been forever since I'd read any children's novels set in historical America. Teddy Roosevelt was such colorful president, so I went for it. 3 1/2 stars really. I thought the central conflict was thin, but the historical accuracies woven onto the story and Author's Note were a delight.
Caroline
Jun 09, 2016 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Very nice book. It talks about Roosevelt and the P. O. V. of his daughter. It's a bit historical fiction but at the end it shows the whole family and etc. Really good book would recommend.
PJ
Jun 23, 2015 PJ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classroom-books
I like the idea of this book - a child's living in the White House. The story follows Ethel Roosevelt's life as she lived in the White House and attended boarding school. The story is a bit slow but has a great message in the end. I also enjoyed the actual facts given at the end of the book about the Roosevelt family.
Peggy Crawford
Oct 27, 2007 Peggy Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10 - 14 yer olds
This title is on the Sunshine State Readers list for this year. I've never been much of a history buff, but this book could easily inspire young people to go and find out more about Teddy Roosevelt. Many of the incidents are based on the diaries and journals of the family, so there is an added sense of reality. An easy to read and amusing story of the Roosevelt family as they make the transition from being the vice-presidents family to being the First Family. Historically accurate, yet also ring ...more
JoDean
Jul 05, 2012 JoDean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this quick little read about the Roosevelt family at the time Theodore assumed the presidency after McKinley's death. It is fictionalized though based on fact. I loved seeing how much of a family man Roosevelt was. He taught his kids to be brave, to face things with their chin up. Apparently one of his sayings was, "Over and under or through, but never around." meaning face whatever it is head on which is exactly what 10yo Ethel, whose perspective is telling the story, does.
Angie
I'm supposed to be reading it, anyway. And writing questions for Battle of the Books. It's OK so far. But there's other stuff I'd rather do.

Actually that's kind of wrong. I'd rather read about vampires or murder mysteries than read a fictionalized account of a former president's daughter.

Finally finished. It was pretty good ... just not my "thing."
Elizabeth
Jul 11, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a slow beginning, but it quickly picked up and was intriguing and sweet. Bradley tried very hard to be historically accurate, and she accomplished her goal. Ethel is endearing and adventurous. I believe this book is a very engaging and accurate glimpse into Ethel Roosevelt's life as she became "The President's Daughter".
Linda
Oct 02, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although fiction, this book is based on fact, and is about the vivacious daughter of President Theodore Roosevelt. Targeted at young people, it's a page out of history and reading it made me feel that I could see what living in the White House was like in the early 1900s. It also sent me to google to learn what became of her brothers.
Melanie
Nov 19, 2011 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-fiction
This book is a little hard to start as you learn who the characters are, but at the end it is a captiavating picture of a girl dealing with a very unique situation - becoming the daughter of the president. I really enjoyed this portrayal of Ethel Roosevelt.
Mandy Morrow
The President's Daughter isa fascinating book set back when Theodore Rosevelt took office. The narrator is Theodore's own daughter, Ethel. Mixed with fact and fiction, if you are interested in historyyou will be reading every chance you get. I know I was!
Mandy
Jun 06, 2011 Mandy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
We read this as a class and I finished up on my own. While it was based pretty closely on history, I found it tedious and a little tough to get through. I don't think I actually got much out of it...
Christina
Mar 23, 2008 Christina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teachers, 3-5th graders
Shelves: kids-books
I read this book before reading it to my students. I loved the story and the perspective, but I wasn't crazy about the ending. The kids seemed to enjoy it for the most part. Especially the girls.
Amy
Solid but not spectacular. From POV of Ethel Roosevelt. Prob more interesting to me than others because of my affinity for TR
Kate Hastings
Apr 20, 2012 Kate Hastings marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: patriotic
What would it be like to live in the White House and your Dad was the president-- the story of Ethel Roosevelt.
Cheryl
Dec 17, 2009 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading with my nine-year old daughter. Fantastic look inside an early American presidency.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
An interesting view of what went on in the White House with the family of Theodore Roosevelt.
Aimee
Aug 14, 2011 Aimee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a great story with historical fiction.
Partridge Public
Sep 13, 2007 Partridge Public added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: JF Bra
Shelves: juniorfiction
Bradley,Kimberly B.
Abbie Butcher
Abbie Butcher marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Madison
Madison rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Abby Rose
Abby Rose marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Ann-Marie
Ann-Marie rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Jessica L
Jessica L marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Macaroni Boy
  • Enemy Spy (Shredderman, #4)
  • Into the Firestorm: A Novel of San Francisco, 1906
  • When Freedom Comes
  • Confessions of a Closet Catholic
  • Sweetgrass Basket
  • Stumptown Kid
I was born and raised in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in 1967, very near the small town that was the setting for my first book, Ruthie's Gift. I attended Smith College, in Northampton, Massachusetts, and graduated with a degree in chemistry just a few weeks before I married my high school sweetheart--Bart Bradley.

I studied chemistry in college because that was what I most loved to learn, but it's not what
More about Kimberly Brubaker Bradley...