Start by marking “The Saffron Gate” as Want to Read:
The Saffron Gate

The Saffron Gate

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  433 ratings  ·  66 reviews
A young American woman's journey to track down her missing lover becomes an enthralling adventure of mystery, passion, danger and self-discovery set against the spellbinding backdrop of 1930s Marrakech.

Sidonie O'Shea enjoys the quiet life she shares with fianc Etienne Duverger in upstate New York. But when Etienne suddenly disappears without word, she finds a letter amongs
Published October 1st 2009 by Headline Review (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Saffron Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Saffron Gate

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn WaughThe Caliph's House by Tahir ShahHideous Kinky by Esther FreudHope and Other Dangerous Pursuits by Laila LalamiNaked Lunch by William S. Burroughs
Books Set in Morocco
8th out of 87 books — 47 voters
Return to Me by Kelly MoranDeadly Secrets by Angel SeferAll of Me by Kelly MoranBeach Bum Brett by David D. D'AguannoGran-sdur by Jan Raymond
Great Beach Reads
240th out of 256 books — 309 voters

More lists with this book...

Dalila.
This is an excellent book
I liked the story The characters are very believable and lovable especially Sidonie and Aszulay
I loved reading about Morocco, the people and the customs ,this is a book one cannot put down. It is thoughtful, insightful, fascinating and very, very sweet at the same time. I give this book five stars.
Jae
This is the third book I've read by Linda Holeman, and yet again the author was able to transport me to another world with ease. I greatly enjoyed the descriptions of life in Morocco in the 1930s. The sights, sounds and smells of North Africa were vividly brought to life. Recommended.
Helen
Linda Holeman writes the kind of historical fiction I love, with just the right combination of romance, history and adventure. One of the things I like about her books is the way she chooses such interesting settings (19th century Afghanistan in The Moonlit Cage, for example, or British-ruled India in In a Far Country). The Saffron Gate is set in 1930s Morocco, a time and place I know very little about, but Holeman really makes the setting come alive, from the noise and bustle of the souks in Ma ...more
Danijela Tomšić
"Ni jedan život nije malen, život ptice značajan je i koliko život kralja, samo malo drugačiji"
Julia
I like Linda Holeman's books because of the places they take me. This one is rich in the description of Morocco. Having been in Tangiers, I could easily picture the crowded and dusty alleyways in the city with merchants competing for the tourist's attention. The main character in this story is a young woman who grew up in Albany, NY in a sheltered life because Polio made her an invalid. She later has an affair with a French Doctor who suddenly disappears after she tells him she is pregnant. She ...more
Allison
I am not Holeman's target audience.

There is very little I liked about this book. I liked the colourful cover. I liked that I could imagine the scenes in the souks, because I recall them firsthand from my time in Qatar. I liked that it was relatively easy to read and follow. I liked that Sidonie liked to drive.

That's about it.

If one is even the slightest bit feminist, don't read this book. If one is offended by sweeping portrayals of women in the most biblical senses (literally, madonna vs who
Missy Cahill
As a teenage girl Sidonie O'Shea is struck down with Polio and left with a bad limp, as we watch her grow up, she finds herself rejecting society & becoming a recluse. When a accident leaves her scarred - emotionally and physically - she mets Etienne, a young French doctor who helps her back on her feet again. When Etienne suddenly leaves Albany without so much as a word goodbye, Sidonie for the first time leaves everything she knows & heads for mysterious Morocco to find him.

I absolute
Betty
After her father's tragic death, Sidonie O'Shea falls for a handsome and intriguing doctor from a strange African country. When he suddenly disappears at a critical point in Sidonie's life, she decides to follow him to his homeland in spite of warnings from well-meaning friends. After all it's the 1930s and young ladies were not supposed to go gallivanting around the globe on their own. What she finds in that land of mystery and mystique, leads her to contemplate a future in a lifestyle that she ...more
Vivian
I love Linda Holeman's books. She has the ability to paint pictures with her words and transport the reader to another time and place. I couldn't wait for the publication of this book. I ordered from Canada, and started reading it the day that it arrived.
This one takes place in upstate New York and Morrocco in the 1930's.

I loved the parts of the book that took place in Morrocco, they were vividly and beautifully written, but skipped through the parts set in New York. I found them boring. It's pr
Patricia
I enjoyed this book though at times found it a little slow. While I liked the main character at the end at first her self indulgence was for me grating and is why I think the story plodded along in some points.
What I really enjoyed was the descriptions of Marrakesh and life in the villages and customs of the people. It takes place during the early 20th century.

It's the story of a young woman who after a car accident which causes her to have a disfiguring scar on her face becomes involved with
Pamela
I read this novel in anticipation of my upcoming trip to Morocco. The story is wonderful, and the descriptions of Morocco and its people are excellent. It is the story of Sidonie O’Shea, a woman from upstate New York who lives a quiet life. She is drawn to travel to Morocco for reasons that we don’t learn about until the middle of the book - - a mystery that is intriguing and is used as a vehicle for creating well-rounded characters that we care about as we learn the secrets of their lives. In t ...more
Raquel Marques
I enjoyed the book. I really liked her descriptions that made it easy to imagine though I haven't been to Morocco. This book felt like a guilty pleasure and an escape which was nice. I didn't feel particularly sorry for Sidonie but I don't think I was supposed to. This almost felt like it could be a Lifetime movie and I always love those every once in awhile.
Sara
Aug 15, 2014 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
This is the third book I've read by Linda Holeman, and it started kind of slowly for me. Her other two books grabbed me right from the start. Once the story moved from New York to Morocco, I was hooked and it just kept getting better.
Eileen Allen
great escape reading. I really enjoy her books for exploring the settings in a way where we see all levels of society and get to escape to faraway places!
Amy Stead
I like the ride Linda Holeman's books give to places and times that are beyond my experience. She shows cultures and settings that become real.
Steven Langdon
The Saffron Gate could be discarded as an improbable and overwritten fantasy, far too light to take seriously. But that would I think be a mistake. I enjoyed this book, it moves ahead with feeling and pace, and at its heart there is a respect and love for Morocco and for Islamic Africa that conveys some striking insights from a woman's perspective. Plus the inter-racial romance that blossoms is both fascinating and in the end believable. Sidonie is a character whose strength turns out to mature ...more
Eric Wright
Sidonie O’Shea after a tragic accident leads a sheltered life in upstate NY. Doctor works on face and they become lovers. Then when she is pg, he disappears. She braves all to come out of her isolation to search for him in Marrakesh, Morocco. Her story of finding that he had a terrible disease, his obsession with his evil half sister. Sidonie’s discovery of this evil woman, the child she abuses and search for Etienne…only to be disappointed but to gradually fall in love with a strange man from d ...more
Rhonda
So after reading most of Linda Holemans books,I can say this one was my least favorite.The lead is a real nut job that I wanted to throw around ,much like how our story's lovers treated her beloved cat Cinnabar (who she credits getting her through polio mind you!)Well I threw the book many times,protested to no one, then finished it Ugh...
Hope Cochran
Really shallow characters, but I did enjoy it. I read it on the plane to Marrakesh and that made it fun.
Julie
I really enjoyed the descriptions of Morocco and women's lives there. Like the author's books about India, she makes me see the colors and feel like I'm actually there. The story itself is rather weak, but she made it into a mystery, and it kept me going to the end. Like her other books, I guessed how it would end less than halfway through, but I still enjoyed it. There were enough twists to keep me avidly reading. My biggest complaint is for the first 2/3 of the book, the heroine is constantly ...more
Ivana
I liked this book very much. I feel the beginning is maybe a bit too slow and not so gripping, but once you truly get into the book you can't put it down until you're done.

Sidonie is a very interesting character with an interesting story to be told. You don't necessarily like or dislike her, you just follow the story to see what will happen to her next. And in the end you do admire her for all the things she has been through and the person she has become, and you are happy for her for finding h
Johmal
I think maybe I just enjoy books that grabs me and drags me through many emotions and experience. I did like the Morocco feel of the book.. But I was just never captured in the book, it is a good story. Good characters. But not sure I will remember it for long
Becky
love her books!!!
Wendy
I loved this book right from the beginning. It makes me want to venture off to Morroco, in a time machine, of course, so I can get the feel of life there in 1930. I love when books can transport me to a different time and place. Although I did figure out how Sidonie was going to get her "happily ever after" ending by the middle of the story, it was still a captivating tale. I am definately going to search out more books by Linda Holeman to see if the are all as interesting to read.
Roma Del
I really enjoyed this story. It like this authors style of writing
Yuliana
After about 100 pages, I had to put this book aside. I couldn't handle the main character's complaining and her pitiful tone. Enough already. Maybe it will sound better to me after a short break.
Picked it up again after a Monty's break. Couldn't deal with it. The character is unbearable.
Unfortunately, this is one of the very few books that I'm not going to finish.
Jane Glen
I found myself initially somewhat annoyed with the protagonist and her obsession with finding the man who had deserted her. Her courageous acts did not always fit with her personality or her physical limitations. But as others have observed, it is a great look at Morocco and the story draws one in as it progresses. I will be interested in reading more of this author.
Valentina
"Toliko emocija: šok, tuga i razočaranje, i, da bijes pomiješani u vrtlogu tamnih boja."

"Djeca se razumiju i na drugačije načine. Djeca su posvuda djeca."

Možda se zbilja previše fokusiramo na krive stvari dok je ono pravo pred nama... Jedna od najljepših priča koje sam pročitala u zadnje vrijeme. Moja preporuka :)
CJC
This was the fourth Linda Holeman book I have read and of the 4 the least favorite but still very very good. Ms. Holeman's characters are always interesting and this book did not disappoint there. Like the other Linda Holeman books this one was fast paced and held my interest from the start - she is a very talented author!
Sheryl Sato
A story that broadens in description with the main character's experiences and gradual expansion of self-awareness, the reader travels from New York to Marseilles to Marrakesh, Morocco. Lush with colour and vibrant stories, this is the first book I've read by Linda Holeman but it will not be the last.
  • The Sultan's Wife
  • Sapphire
  • Angel of Fire
  • Das Dorf der Mörder (Sanela Beara, #1)
  • Dueling Hearts
  • Dream Wheels
  • Secret of the Sands
  • Into the Heart of the Country
  • Knight of Fire (Fire, #2)
  • The Inheritance
  • Love's Revenge
  • The Rogue Prince
  • The Last Bachelor (Mistress, #1)
  • Come to Me
  • This Perfect Kiss
  • The Secret Life of Lady Julia
  • The Promise (Time Travel Trilogy, #3)
  • The Darkest Knight
Linda Holeman is the author of fourteen books of fiction. Her work includes two adult collections of literary short stories, Flying to Yellow and Devil’s Darning Needle, as well as the historic novels The Linnet Bird, The Moonlit Cage, In a Far Country, The Saffron Gate, The Lost Souls of Angelkov, and The Devil on Her Tongue. Her young adult body of work consists of a collection of short stories, ...more
More about Linda Holeman...
The Linnet Bird The Moonlit Cage In a Far Country The Lost Souls of Angelkov Search of the Moon King's Daughter

“But it wasn't just the distance. It was what had happened to me since these days, those endless, quiet days when I thought my life would always continue in that way. When my life consisted of small, certain pieces of a larger, but basically simple, puzzle.
When I was certain that I always knew where each piece fit.”
3 likes
“And now the thought came to me that I lived much of my life through the pages of books as well. That perhaps I, too, was only a paper figure. A cut-out, or silhouette. Flat.
I always thought I knew the shape of my life. Of course I thought I knew about life, thought I knew all I needed - or wanted - to know. And yet, like the opening left when a burning star falls from its perch, now an unexpected hole was left in what was once a solid curtain of understanding... ( )... Sitting under the cold stars, I understood that it was death that made me recognize life, and the existence, or pherhaps the non-existence of my own beeing.”
2 likes