Start by marking “Applesauce Season” as Want to Read:
Applesauce Season
Preview

Applesauce Season

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  48 reviews
When the first apples of the season--Ida Red and Paula Red, Twenty Ounce, McIntosh, and Ginger Gold--show up in the city markets, it's time to take out the big pot and make applesauce. Eden Lispon's lovingly recounted description of a family's applesauce-making ritual describes the buying, peeling, cooking and stirring; the wait for the sauce to cool and the first taste. M ...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Applesauce Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Applesauce Season

Leaf Man by Lois EhlertThe Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsPumpkin Soup by Helen CooperFletcher and the Falling Leaves by Julia RawlinsonApples and Pumpkins by Anne F. Rockwell
Picture books about Fall
27th out of 58 books — 35 voters
We Gather Together by Wendy PfefferAutumn Story by Jill BarklemApplesauce Season by Eden Ross LipsonPlant a Little Seed by Bonnie ChristensenThe Fall Gathering by Rita T. Kohn
Harvest Time
3rd out of 30 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Jul 02, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: Gundula
This is a lovely book.

I think part of the reason I love this book so much, is that like the child telling about making applesauce with his family, I was a city kid. I’ve read so many children’s picture books about children who farm, garden, live close to the land, but here’s the account of a family (based on the author’s childhood) who lives in the city, and get their apples from the farmers’ market, and then have a family tradition of making applesauce.

There’s an applesauce recipe (with optiona
Kathryn
This book succeeded in making me want some home-made applesauce, pronto! Too bad it's not September when I can go to Apple Hill and buy the perfect apples.

Next to the sweet and spicy applesauce, though, the rest of the story seemed a bit bland. It was more informational than creating emotion, even though I think it sought to succeed at both. Also, by an amazing coincidence, I picked up this book immediately after reading illustrator Gerstein's "A Book" and I didn't feel his illustrations were n
Crystal Marcos
Applesauce Season is a fun and educational book about apples. I enjoyed learning about other apples I didn't know existed. I like going to farmer's markets and did appreciate that people in the city can make fresh applesauce from apples they bought from their local farmer's market. The family and their tradition was fun to read about. I thought the artist captured the moments well. My favorite page is when everyone is tasting the applesauce right out the enormous bowl. I definitely wanted some a ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Strong families are tied together by habits and traditions, and one important tradition is food we share. This book commemorates one family's practice, year after year, of making applesauce throughout the Fall season. A child narrator explains the process of how the family makes applesauce. He enthusiastically describes different varieties of apples they find at their local farm market, and explains how the applesauce changes throughout the season as apple varieties ripen for the family's ongoin ...more
Ellie Schwartz
*****Applesauce Season by Eden Ross Lipson and illustrated by Mordicai Gerstein
Grades K-3 Roaring Brook Press, New York.
32 pages.
2009 ISBN-13: 978-1-59643-216-1 $17.99

The cover of Applesauce Season shows six happy people sampling applesauce from a huge bowl. A familial resemblance signifies that this family includes a grandmother, father, mother, and three children. The view through the window shows an apple, as large as the sun, floating through the sky. The warmth, joy, and playfulness of thi
Karyn The Pirate
Step by step a young boy tells us about making applesauce with his grandmother. From bright red apples to golden ones, they buy 6lbs. of apples for the sauce, and more for “eating out of hand.” This is a beautifully illustrated book about family tradition and, of course, how to make home-made applesauce. The delightful and colorful illustrations further the experience and warmth of the story being told. The enjoyment of family, tradition and love is felt as the boy, not only tells us of applesau ...more
Jill
This non-fiction picture book tells about a family tradition of the author's. Each fall, the family goes to the market, purchases apples, and makes applesauce weekly until the harvest is over. The process is described in length and a recipe is included in the end! (PreK-Grade 2)

Curriculum Connection: As well as an excellent example of a family tradition that doesn't occur around the holidays, this is a terrific book to teach expository writing; i.e. "How to Make Applesauce."

Citation: Lipson, E.
The Library Lady
Important note: I have been making applesauce just like my mom and grandma for ever. On my blog, you can find the recipe for "Grandma Esther's Pink Applesauce"

That being said, I love this book because it shows the magic of making applesauce with a food mill--something I did at the library with 18 preschoolers last week.

Tiny quibbles:
1)Adding BUTTER to applesauce is just plain weird--I've never heard of doing that before and can't imagine why you would.
2)The color of your applesauce depends on th
Kate
Maybe I liked this book so much because I grew up with my mom making applesauce very similar to how the family does in this book. Wonderful telling of a family tradition.
Craig Seasholes
Great for pulling all the variations of apples-and children- into a sweet discussion during the fall.
Amy
Last weekend I bought two boxes of apples in Eastern Washington to can applesauce this week. This book, describing a boy's family tradition of making applesauce in the fall, was the perfect introduction and accompaniment to making applesauce with my kids. His family makes it the same way I do: quarter the apples, don't bother to peel or core them, throw them in a pot with a little applejuice, crank them through a food mill, add sugar and cinnamon, and enjoy. Since I'm a sucker for both books and ...more
Miri
A boy tells the story of his family at applesauce season, when they make applesauce from different apples, fun pictures, great for fall.
Gail Barge
This book is all about apples and applesauce. This would be a fun book to bring up the topic of student's favorite multicultural foods. This family loves to make applesauce but I would be interested to know what other students families love to make together. On the final page in the recipe for applesauce which could connect to a math lesson about food measurements.
Christine Levinge
This book is a great family bonding story. Not only is it sweet and a great story, but it's also informational. It provides a whole explanation on how to make applesauce, complete with a recipe in the back of the book. A great follow-up activity would be to actually make the applesauce in the class, letting the students be a part of the process that they read about.
Herbert
Demonstrates what life is like for a family that farms. Demonstrates the affect that seasons can have on people's lives. To the children in the book, the beginning of the school year means that apples are ready to harvest. The importance of apples on their lives is emphasized - something many students (in Georgia) may take for granted.
Melanie
As soon as school starts, so does applesauce season. The kids come home from school one day and the family goes to pick up all different kinds of apples from the market. Then the cooking begins!

A rather clinical look at the how and why of making applesauce. Instructions included in the back.
Carey Hanson
copyright 2009 realistic fiction / concept book (teaches how to make applesauce)

I like this book. I like the illustrations and the subject matter. I am not a cook, but I like recipes. This book actually includes the recipe for making applesauce and I've already made a copy of it.
A great book about American family traditions. I actually enjoyed learning about making applesauce while reading the story. This could be used for a sequence of events guided reading group lesson or a read aloud to discuss family traditions.

Award: 2009 Parent's Choice Award
Anne Marie
Nice, heart-warming book about a boy and his family, and their process of making applesauce and other assorted food with apples -- during applesauce season. The illustrator previously won the Caldecott for The Man Who Walked Between the Towers. Great autumn book - to be shared aloud!
Whitney Strickland
Applesauce Season is about apples, apples, and more apples. During applesauce season everyone lends a hand in order to get all of the delicious apples stored away and put to good use. I enjoyed this book and it would be a great story to share during harvest time.
Elizabeth
Themes: apples, types, names, cider, family, traditions,

Uses: recommendation, booklist - ills too busy for stortime

Intro through CCPL Mock Caldecott. Fun, old-time feel. Recipe at back, slightly older elementary children
Heather
We love this book. It makes me remember making applesauce with my mom in the Fall. I have a reminder each September to check it out to read with my kids as we start making applesauce. A lovely book of family traditions.
Susan
A very approachable book with wonderfully homey and appealing illustrations. Especially liked the way it is a city kid telling the story about apples and harvests instead of the usual kid in the country book.
Kathryn
Since I make applesauce every year, this book I loved. It shows illustrations of the many different kinds of apples and characters in the book. Oh, and there is a recipe at the end. Very good book.
Sam Bloom
Great book, wonderfully illustrated by Mordicai Gerstein, that has me really excited about autumn! And I'm not a major applesauce junky or anything, but I sure could go for a bowl right now.
Brittany
I like this book because it illustrates the whole family cooking and breaking the norm of only women cooking. Stereotypes of men and women's roles and also traditional families.
Leah
Generational book about making applesauce. Would be cute to read to kids before a trip to an apple orchard and then to make homemade applesauce with them afterwards. Family tradition.
Emily
I like Gerstein's illustrations and this is a sweet story. Lots of apple varieties shown on the endpages. Lead me to a "Apple variety or Dog Breed" activity. Pretty hilarious.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • My Garden
  • Lemonade in Winter: A Book About Two Kids Counting Money
  • My Dog Is As Smelly As Dirty Socks: And Other Funny Family Portraits
  • In November
The New York Times Parent's Guide to the Best Books for Children New York Times Parent's Guide to the Best Books for Children (Third Ed.) Understood Betsy